Start by marking “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” as Want to Read:
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  321,480 ratings  ·  10,560 reviews
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is the original title of a novella written by the famous Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson that was first published in 1886. The work is commonly known today as The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, or simply Jekyll & Hyde. It is about a London lawyer named John Gabriel Utterson who investigates str ...more
Published September 2nd 2003 by Signet Classics (first published January 5th 1886)

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, please sign up.
Deepanker Saxena It isn't scary. It just throws light on the devil inside you and what form it can take if not controlled.
The evil side of the human.
Childoftheonetrueking I would recommend 12+, the book is rather intense at points. Check out my full review of this book and its content here: …moreI would recommend 12+, the book is rather intense at points. Check out my full review of this book and its content here: https://teenchristianbookblog.wordpre... (less)

·  321,480 ratings  ·  10,560 reviews

Jeffrey Keeten
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
”It came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter, and younger than Henry Jekyll. Even as good shone upon the countenance of the one, evil was written broadly and plainly on the face of the other. Evil besides (which I must still believe to be the lethal side of man) had left on that body an imprint of deformity and decay. And yet when I looked upon that ugly idol in the glass, I was conscious of no repugnance rather of a leap of welcome.

This too, was myself.”

photo Jekyll-mansfield_zps5229ba58.jpg
Richard Mansfield was
Ariel
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH BOY, OH BOY, PEOPLE I HAVE A NEW FAVOURITE!

This edition came with two stories, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Bottle Imp," and they were both awesome let's talk about them. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.

Jekyll:
- So. Well. Crafted. From beginning to end the story was engaging and the themes where quite straightforward, but I really love that in writing (see: George Orwell is my favourite author). I like it when authors aren't bogging their messages down in unnee
Anne
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pfft.
This Stevenson guy totally ripped off Stan Lee's Hulk character!

I mean, did this dude seriously think he could get away with what basically boils down to a copy & paste job of one of the most iconic literary characters in comics?!
I. Think. Not.
Stan, my friend, you have a real chance at winning a copyright infringement lawsuit.
(view spoiler)
Elise (TheBookishActress)
55 pages later and I’m still convinced that Robert Louis Stevenson named his characters this way exclusively so he could fit in the line “if he shall be Mr. Hyde, I shall be Mr. Seek!” and honestly? that’s iconic.

There’s a reason this novella has stood the test of time - it is creepy and interesting as hell. I think there’s something very terrifying t
Stephen
KUDOS, KUDOS and more KUDOS to you, Mr. Stevenson!! First, for bringing me more happy than a Slip N Slide on a scorching summer day by providing Warner Bros with the inspiration for one of my favorite cartoons, Hyde and Go Tweet:
HydeandGoTweetStill-1-1-2v2
...I mean who didn't love giant, cat-eating Tweety Hyde.

Second, and more seriously, when I tardily returned to your classic gothic novella as an adult, you once again red-lined my joy meter with the strength and eloquence of your story craft. You story is the gift that
Fabian
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The appearances/superficiality motif appears as early on as the first sentence in this tense, tight, but ultimately convoluted smear of a novella. Count on countenance for good & sturdy bones in a story of detection...

& yet...

Plus there are really nice framing devices on display here, a check-mark always in my book, like the letters within letters narrative, a nifty exercise, which is mighty cool. (Here, my favorite sentence from the Robert Louis Stevenson classic: "Jekyll had more tha
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Robert Louis Stevenson was a man who knew how to play his audience. Utterson, the primary point of view character for this novel, is a classic Victorian gentleman; he is honest, noble and trustworthy; he is the last reputable acquaintance of down going men like Henry Jekyll. So, by having a character who evokes the classic feelings of Victorian realism narrate the abnormal encounterings, it gives it credibility; it gives it believability; thus, the story is scarier because if a man such as Utter ...more
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
4.5*
*Read for class*
Jeff
What I learned reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

By Jeff

1) Some things are better left unsaid. Really? Who knows how Hyde indulged himself? Hookers? Pirating? Running an orphan sweat shop? Booze? Opium? Ripping the “Do Not Remove under Penalty of Law” labels from mattresses?

2) Never have a nosy lawyer as a best friend. Who the hell hangs out with lawyers?

3) My evil Hyde would not be a top hat wearing, monkey-like Juggernaut. Sorry, he would be more Dean Martin-esque, a la “The Nutty Professor.

J.G. Keely
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After the overblown Frankenstein and the undercooked Dracula, it's pleasant to find that the language and pacing of the third great pillar of horror is so forceful and deliberate (especially since I was disappointed by Stevenson's other big work, Treasure Island). But then, this is a short story, and it's somewhat easier to carry off the shock, horror, and mystery over fewer pages instead of drawing it out like Shelley and Stoker into a grander moralizing tale.

But Stevenson still manages to get
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It seems like I've been familiar with the "good" Dr. Jekyll and the "evil" Mr. Hyde all my life, but the thing that most struck me, once I finally got around to actually reading this classic, is--other than their outward appearance--how alike these two aspects of the same man actually are.

Dr. Jekyll has always been aware of the duality in his character: he admits to some apparently fairly serious youthful indiscretions, and even when he consciously puts his vices behind him for a time, he alway
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a gothic novella by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson first published in 1886. The work is also known as The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, or simply Jekyll & Hyde. It is about a London lawyer named Gabriel John Utterson who investigates strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the evil Edward Hyde. The novella's impact
Raeleen Lemay
IF ONLY the revelation halfway through this had been unknown to me before reading it, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. It was good, but knowing what the twist is can really bring a story down for me.

This book is also very simple and to-the-point, which isn't always my favourite style of writing. I would have enjoyed for the story to be more drawn out, preferably with an addition of at least another hundred pages.
Manny
By day, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll mouths platitudes about trickledown economics in front of a teleprompter while vaguely apologizing. By night, the demoniacal Mr. Hyde stands in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoots people. Will the US electorate realize what's happening before it's too late?
_____________________

(view spoiler)
Bionic Jean
Do you know what a "Jekyll and Hyde" character is? Of course you do. It is one of the descriptions, originally in a piece of literature, which has now become accepted in our vernacular. And there are many renditions of the story, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and countless references to it in all aspects of life. Quite an achievement for a slim Victorian volume written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, and published in 1886.

"Man is not truly one, but truly two."

So ass
Greg Watson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
December 2009

Jekyll and Hyde is commonly evoked to describe someone with a split personality. Stevenson's novel is about a dual physical and spiritual nature struggling for control of one person. In this struggle, Dr. Jekyll doesn't just assume a different personality, he actually becomes Mr. Hyde.

Presbyterian Pastor Tim Keller has a good, brief analysis of parts of the Jekyll and Hyde story in his book The Reason for God. Keller pinpoints a key point in the story, noting that it's in a moment o
Delee
A veeeeeeeery short buddy-read with: Buddy Loooooove, Too much Buddy Love aka I want to be called The Nutty Professor, I love everybody Buddy Love, What did I do to deserve this Buddy Love?, Gimmie some Buddy Love....aaaaaand My brand new Buddy Love. Whew! Did I get everyone???

I am not a classic book reader- I fall under the category that some snobbish readers would call a fluffy reader..a reader for entertainment purposes only- Not a reader for intellectual growth. The classics were read in m
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The story is widely known and very influential. It was retold and replayed countless number of times by practically everywhere and everybody, including one of the best cartoon series of all the time, Looney Tunes:
Looney Tunes
For this reason people writing blurbs for the book decided it is quite fine to take a lazy route and give spoiler right away. At least in my opinion something revealed only in the last chapter should be considered a spoiler.

I am going to assume there are people who have no clue what th
“Man is not truly one, but truly two”

Dr. Jekyll attains through his experience with being both himself and Mr. Hyde that there are actually two sides to him. He claims that people, as far as he can tell, are made up of two sides― good and evil.

But is it really true?

Is a good and dignified person, good and dignified because that is what s/he is supposed to be?
Because that is the way s/he is expected to be?

Does everyone have a secret dark side that they desperately keep in their closet? Does thi
Natalia Yaneva
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
Bulgarian review below/Ревюто на български е по-долу
“If he be Mr. Hyde”, he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek”.
If “Jekyll and Hyde” was a painting, it would’ve been Edvard Munch’s “The Scream”. If it was a mental illness, it would’ve been dissociative identity disorder, not schizophrenia, as is the popular guess if there’s more than one of you inside your head. I would say that the story can also be likened to a long dark tea-time of the soul, because it would take you just that much to read i
Lyn
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Banner / The Hulk, Lawrence Talbot / The Wolfman, and Norman Bates are watching Stanley Kubrick’s 1987 film Full Metal Jacket and Joker has just said to the visiting Colonel that his helmet decorations were meant “to suggest something about the duality of man”.

Norman: We all go a little mad sometimes.

Bruce: This makes me think of Robert Louis Stevenson’s 1886 novella The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I mean about the whole duality of man thing.

Talbot: I think that is a ubiquitou
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
"I learned to recognise the thorough and primitive duality of man; I saw that, of the two natures that contended in the field of my consciousness, even if I could rightly be said to be either, it was only because I was radically both."

As so often, my students gave me food for thought after I carelessly summed up the idea behind Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde and the duality of humankind, moving between animal brutality and intellectual sophistication.

"But that is not true!"

Of course I thought the
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde written in 1886 by Robert Louis Stevenson. So here's how naive I was years ago... and keep in mind I was an English major who loved the classics... I'd read some short stories about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as a teenager, maybe saw some video or tv versions.... can't quite remember. Sophomore year in college, this is listed on the assigned syllabus for one of my courses. And I'm like "I think there's a mistake. Stevens
Apatt
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
“I have become a monster! I must find a place where I can hide! That’s it! I shall call myself…” DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!
“Mr. Where-I-can!”

The above is paraphrased from a “Morecambe & Wise” Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sketch, they don’t often make me laugh, but this one is gold!

Not so much "The Strange Case" as the "Overly Familiar Case". The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of those stories that practically everybody knows so few people bother to read the original text. The original Fr
Robin
My impetus for reading this classic 1886 novella was seeing an interview with Donna Tartt in which she discusses writing The Goldfinch. She says that she read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during her formative years and that there's "something of it in every book I've ever written". Well, since I adore every book Ms. Tartt has ever written, it was high time I read this.

I love the creeptastic gothic stories from this time period - Frankenstein, Dracula, anything by Poe. There's something dank and dingy i
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had hoped that a re-read would have increased my appreciation of this old, albeit classic, tale, but alas, I still just find it *okay*. I can't complain about the style because I've read a lot of Stevenson's contemporaries. I can't complain that it's not "fantastic or gruesome" enough, because it does have a certain low-level miasma of hysteria that works fine as a thriller.

What I can and want to complain about is something that has annoyed me about these people from day one. The insistence th
classic reverie
Even though I have known about Jekyll and Hyde ever since I was a kid, and have seen Spencer Tracy in the 1941 film and have heard radio versions of this story and almost everyone knows it, I found the book more enlightening into Stevenson's desire to show the duel personality of the two but even more interesting is the acquiesce of Jekyll to the actions of Hyde with a kind of glee at first. Even after Hyde becomes more fiendish, Jekyll is not condoning but gives allowances to his behavior. In t ...more
Paul Bryant
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This 70 page novelette is a load of old cobblers but very elegantly expressed cobblers. The main idea is that everyone has a bad side and a good side –

Man is not truly one, but truly two

And hey, maybe more for all I know, says Dr J

I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.

Got that, a mere polity. So I think he’s thinking of something like multiple personalities or sumpin. Now Dr J, being an upstanding wealthy in
Lotte
This book was the start of my on-going love story with gothic fiction. Definitely one of my favorite classics in one of my favorite genres. I highly recommend this!
Fionnuala
I have a memory from childhood related to Robert Louis Stevenson.
I shared a bedroom with an older sister, and at night, after lights out, we’d ask each other questions about books and authors, easy questions such as 'Who wrote Black Beauty?' or ‘What famous children's book was written by Captain Marryat?' (We only had very old books in our house as we lived deep in the country far from any bookshops. Enid Blyton never even reached us).
But sometimes my sister would pull a more challenging title o

• Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Anna Karenina
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The King in Yellow
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Nightmare Abbey
  • Berenice
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • The Arabian Nights
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is onl
“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. ” 397 likes
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.” 330 likes