Start by marking “Enemies of Doves” as Want to Read:

Enemies of Doves

On a summer night in 1932, twelve-year-old Joel Fitchett wanders into an East Texas diner badly beaten and carrying his unconscious brother, Clancy. Though both boys claim they have no memory of what happened, the horrific details are etched into their minds as deep as the scar left across Joel's face.

Thirteen years later, both men still struggle with the aftershocks of
Published March 20th 2020 by TouchPoint Press

To ask other readers questions about Enemies of Doves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemies of Doves

Start your review of Enemies of Doves
Sarah Anderson
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an addictive read! The story seamlessly flows between two timelines, and I immediately became attached to characters in both story lines. Enemies of Doves is the kind of book you keep thinking about all day. I didnt want it to end, but I couldnt wait to find out what happened. This novel reveals deep scars - both physical and emotional left on the characters in the wake of each others decisions. The twists are unpredictable, and the characters are unforgettable. You wont want to put it ...more
Sue Reiner
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning, make sure your life is in order before reading this book! It will literally capture and consume your life completely to the end. Rich characters with ripe regrets running the full gamut of the potential would of, could of's for the decisions they made. Questions will continue to pop up throughout as to who are the real "Enemies of Dove's". Superb story intertwined within the past and present that deepens your commitment to reach the finale.
Jessica Hedrick
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enemies of Doves is the type of novel that keeps you up all night reading, telling yourself "just one more page" until your alarm goes off. Rarely do I not have a book figured out by half way through, but Gluhm's novel kept throwing me for a loop in the best ways. The story is mystery, but is so much more: a true love story, a story about family, lies, truths and sacrifice. The Fitchett's didn't have an easy life growing up, but they took care of each other. Garrison didn't know what he was ...more
Brittny Huffman
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a page turner!

Families, one of the greatest mysteries out there! As many of us are forced home during these strange times in America, we are finding out just how deep our love and commitments to family truly are. This book captured my attention and held it through the very end with the interesting characters and twisting plot lines. I simply could NOT put it down. I look forward to many MORE from Shanessa Gluhm!
Summer
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good! This book is filled with twists and turns that can easily keep you up all night reading, but perhaps more than that, this book tells the heartbreaking story of people who love (and hurt) so very deeply. The characters were all written so well and so honestly, I already miss spending time with them.
The many nods/references Gluhm used from all kinds of great literature throughout the novel was done so well. On numerous occasions, it was exactly what was needed to create rich and
Whitney Hernandez
You are going to want to clear your schedules for this one. Enemies of Doves is a captivating story of love, family, secrets, and betrayal. It flows so flawlessly between two timelines tying the story together into a beautiful seamless masterpiece. The characters and their stories are so captivating! You will definitely find yourself reading into the wee hours of the night! I found myself not wanting to put it down, but not wanting it to be over. It is definitely one I will read over and over ...more
Kyle Shepard
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captured me and kept me intrigued wanting to know more from beginning to end. The story crosses between two timelines where Gluhm develops her characters and intertwines their lives to reveal how they fit together and the secrets they hold. The twists and turns feed you bits of information that keep you guessing to the very last word. I couldn't wait to discover their truths, but never wanted the story to end. Makes you want to stay up and read all night!
Ashley
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't shed too many tears while reading in my lifetime, but the stunning twist in this masterful debut novel blindsided me. If you're a fan of brotherhood, sacrificial love, and want to spend an afternoon immersed in a quaint and rural Texas town filled with secrets, pick this novel up. If you're confident in your skills in predicting the ending of every book you read, I wish you luck with this one. I only wish I'd read it more slowly. Well done!
Amanda Davis
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked and could not put it down until I finished. The beginning and every page after kept me reading until the very end. I loved and hated characters. Such a good read!
Sherrie
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The character development was phenomenal. The alternating timelines are always one of my favorite reads and this book is definitely one of my favorites. I was sad to come to the end of the book knowing it would be difficult to find another book to enjoy as much as I enjoyed Enemies Of Doves. It will keep you reading and wanting more. ...more
Jessica
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't typically read mysteries. Most I have read are often entirely predictable and even campy. Enemies of Doves is neither. From the very start you're pulled into the mystery surrounding the Fitchett brothers. Gluhm keeps you guessing until the very end. Her writing is evocative and descriptive, making you feel the sweltering heat of East Texas through the pages. I enjoyed every twist and turn. This story is griping, intriguing, and entertaining, I highly recommend it!
Lori Harrington
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book I have read in over two years. Shanessa Gluhm is a brilliant writer! The characters and storylines were so well developed that it made me believe I was right in the middle of each page. I very seldom read a book that I cannot figure out how it will end ,but this one literally blew me away!! I did not want it to end but what an ending it was! Well done, Shanessa!!! I am anxiously awaiting your next novel. I am a fan!
Merry Leissa
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enemies of Doves immediately pulls the reader into the mystery surrounding the Fitchett Brothers and kept me intrigued, wanting to know more but not wanting the book to end! Its a story about two brothers, secrets, betrayals, sacrifices and ultimately love. I came to feel I knew each character and I felt compassion and empathy for each characters plight. The book is full of twists and turns that will have the reader gasping with shock but the surprise ending is never divulged.

Mayra Lovas
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its the kind of writing that pulls you in and you feel like your in the book. The characters are rich and I connected with them immediately. This is a gripping story about family, secrets, betrayal, love, sacrifice, but mostly bonds that cant be broken. The twists are perfect and I couldnt have guessed how it all unfolded. Bravo Shanessa Gluhm an amazing debut novel! ...more
Dana L Tracy
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story! With a leisurely introduction, Gluhm slowly draws you in with her flawed, yet likable characters. Shifting timelines that are packed with intrigue and unexpected plot twists lead to a surprisingly satisfying ending.
robert erickson
Alina Eden
Mar 19, 2020

• What the Wind Knows
  • Defending Jacob
  • El murmullo de las abejas
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Redeeming Love
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
  • Love From A to Z
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • The Shack
  • The Light Between Oceans
  • Ordinary Grace
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Widow (Kate Waters, #1)
  • After the End
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • Wuthering Heights
Shanessa Gluhm works as a librarian at an elementary school in New Mexico where she lives with her husband and children. It was during her own elementary days when a teacher encouraged Shanessa to write and share stories with the class. She hasnt stopped writing since. Enemies of Doves is her debut novel. During it's first week of pre-release it debuted on Barnes and Nobles bestseller list. ...more