Start by marking “Silver Surfer: The Coming of Galactus” as Want to Read:
Silver Surfer: The Coming of Galactus

Silver Surfer: The Coming of Galactus

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Somewhere in the deep vastness of outer space, an incredible figure hurtles through the cosmos - a being the people of Earth will come to know as the Silver Surfer! But where the Surfer appears, his planet-eating master - Galactus - is soon to follow, and only the Fantastic Four have the power to save the world!!!

Originally published in 1961 as separate comic book editions
Published January 1st 1992 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Silver Surfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Surfer

Andrew F
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hugely seminal classic storyline from the sixties, this 1993 reprint (at the height of the Infinity saga) features a "new" (1993) Ron Lim cover in the spirit of the classic Jack Kirby art (which still looks incredible).

Adapted as a movie (Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer) and a couple of times in cartoons, it's a pretty solid (basic) story and a fun read. This reissue only has three issues in it - other reprints try to bulk it up to trade paperback/graphic novel length using the previou
Nick Hawryluk
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Considering how famous this three-issue series is now, I'd expected more. I've read much better-told stories from Lee, and a lot of the plotlines in this feel ridiculous or rushed. Galactus is a great character, I love the idea of someone threatening the world who isn't some cut-and-dry supervillain- I imagine that concept is what makes this book so notable. Not a fan of how Lee will sometimes cram so much scene description and expository dialogue into a panel- Kirby's artwork can stand on its o ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best words to describe this book are "Imagination Unbound." On the surface it seems like little more than a little twist on the old alien invasion idea. But the scope of the nemesis in Galactus and so many of the ideas only lightly touched on in these three chapters make it so much more. I suppose another two words would be "starting point." Like so many early Lee/Kirby comics (especially Fantastic Four comics), this book has a deceptively simple story with so much fertile ground for future ...more
Tommy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Truly amazing and historic story arc of the Fantastic Four where we meet not only Galactus, devourer of worlds, but we also meet his herald the Silver Surfer. In a truly epic story, the Watcher tries to hide the earth from Silver Surfer who scouts out planets for Galactus to devour for energy. Galactus arrives and can only be stopped by the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer once he realizes the value of human life.
Earl
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
If there is something that the Marvel Comics of the past is really good at, it's being wordy and enjoyable at the same time.

This serves as the basis for that awful "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer " flick, and the film is nothing compared to this. For in here, we see bits of wisdom from the FF, the SIlver Surfer, and Alicia herself. Amazing read.
Roman Colombo
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
I read this when I first got into comics, like 10 years ago, and found it dull. Now, having read, written, and taught comics, I can see the mastery of this story. Lee and Kirby really were geniuses.
Bob Wolniak
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
One of the most far out stories at the very peak of Lee/Kirby era. First Surfer and Galactus. Truly Fantastic. I hate the cover for this reprint, but it's the one I have.
Jeremiah Kleckner
Nov 09, 2013
Richard Gombert
Jan 26, 2017
devilhs
rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2016
Jamie Gregory
May 12, 2015
Dragana
Nov 13, 2017
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee