Start by marking “The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)

The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire

(The Legend of Korra Comics #2)

To secure lasting peace for the Earth Kingdom, Korra must trust an unlikely ally!

On the eve of its first elections, the Earth Kingdom’s future is endangered by its past. As Kuvira works to reclaim her honor, the devious commander Guan undermines the peace Avatar Korra has established to take power for himself. Korra and Kuvira must learn to work together to ensure the futu
Hardcover, Library Edition, 240 pages
Published September 22nd 2020 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Korra, please sign up.
Rohan There's one thing mentioned very early on in Ruins of the Empire that might confuse you when you start reading, if you haven't read Turf Wars. Besides…moreThere's one thing mentioned very early on in Ruins of the Empire that might confuse you when you start reading, if you haven't read Turf Wars. Besides that, you don't need to have read Turf Wars at all.(less)
Rohan It happens shortly after the events of Turf War, which happen right after the events of the season 4 finale.

Start your review of The Legend of Korra: Ruins of the Empire (The Legend of Korra, #2)
thi
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.75/5
- *judges listing all of kuvira’s crimes*
- me: whatevs no one’s perfect ily
Chad
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Remnants of the Earth Kingdom army try to regain control of the country as Kuvira tries to make amends. This was written by one ot the creators of the cartoon. The art looks exactly like the show. I'm sure any fan of the show will enjoy this.

Received a review copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Jessica Maggio
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm here for gay shit, Kuvira being hot, and Beifong ladies kicking ass.
Also, I liked the art in this series more than the first one.
I read all three in one shot so even though I own three different books I'm doing the review on this one so it counts as one! And now I kinda want the hardcover! Dammit!!!!!!!
Elysian
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
5 stars

I NEVER LIKED KUVIRA. MY OPINION CHANGED NOW-

Reasons why to read this:

- Korrasami being cute
- Kuvira
- Kuvira's childhood.
- Earthkingdom LORE.

Leah Waters
This story really frustrated me.

The Legend of Korra in general really messes up redemption arcs, in my opinion. SPOILERS:

Asami forgives her father after he tried to KILL HER in season 4. And in this story, Kuvira is forgiven? After she murdered a ton of people and tried to basically blow up a city with a nuclear bomb? PLEASE.

Forgiveness is a controversial subject. But I believe you can't just forget horrible things happened and that someone is a horrible person. Redemption has to be EARNED. It
Eule Luftschloss
trigger warning
(view spoiler)

King Wu has decided to abdicate to make way for democracy in the Earth Kingdom, and the preparations are running when they realise that not the whole Earth Kingdom army has stepped down yet.

Not gonna lie, it's been a while since I watched Legend of Korra, so I wasn't very sure about the side characters but the most important things came back to me. This comic can be read as a standalone, I guess, once you real
Haley
a thought: i love WOMEN

(view spoiler)
Joana Veríssimo
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is so GOOD!! I really LOVE I getting to see Korra and everyone again, and it was interesting to see where they are now and it was a really GOOD exploration of Kuvira and her growth, and that people can take action to do better - it doesn't fix the past but works towards the future!!! I just honestly LOVE Kuvira in this so much!!!
A great comic for any fans of the show!!!
Philippe
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Anya
Jul 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Much better than Turf Wars, both the art and the story.

MORE MORE MORE
KJ
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this one! Kuvira’s arc was compelling and satisfying, 3 generations of Beifongs made me happy, Zhu Li was a competent leader. I already want more about Su and Kuvira, but this comic served as a great redemption arc for now. This is LOK at its best — navigating moral ambiguity with these familiar characters.

Still, repetition of crazy technology — only so far that can interest me when the primary draw of ATLA was the lore.
Amelia Oswald
I like the art from Ruins of the Empire better than Turf War it is the closet style to the original. And I enjoy Kuriva's redemption arc. We all know she is a person with good intention. But had a problematic method to solve problems. So her redemption arc was understandable. ...more
Tato Lè martín
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was perfect!

I was really hoping they went down the storyline of Kuvira. She is a bad a** and I knew she needed redemption herself.

I would love to know more about her childhood as they only glimpse it in pieces but not the entire story.

Also, I love seeing old team avatar back into the storylines. It’s just great seeing old characters from ATLA, and toph character always brings so much into the story.

Definitely 5/5.
Alexa
Aug 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
A really good story but I’m still low key team f*ck Kuvira. I didn’t fully believe the total 180 flip that she did in her redemption arc. It felt very sudden and forced. Like why is she suddenly seeing the light? I Feel like this series needed to be flushed out more to understand why the hill she chose to die on suddenly didn’t seem like the right one anymore.
Leslie Hester
Jul 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
First off 🗣Kuvira redemption arc ❤️ plus my boy Wu getting adventure time with team avatar is always a plus. But the best thing was the artist who illustrated korra made her actually look like korra from the series!
manal
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm here for korrasami and Kuvira's redemption. ...more
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was great to see Kuvira's redemption arc! ...more
Debbie
Jun 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Just like an episode of the show.
Trigger Warning Database
Trigger & Content Warnings

Kidnapping
Chris D'Antonio
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
It was too short!
Abi Inman
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kuvira, forever queen of my heart.
Rachel
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK
*Spoilers for TLOK and the TLOK comics*

You know that meme where it's like ____ is something that can be so personal, and it's Antoni from Queer Eye? That's exactly how I feel about Ruins of the Empire Library Edition.

This was really good. I love the art style and Kuvira is one of my top favorite characters from TLOK so it was nice to see her. And her getting a redemption arc! I love redemption arcs.

This book answered all the questions I had with all the stuff they didn't addres
Danielle Heiert
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kuvira's arc was really interesting and I love King William! Overall a great story, only a few parts that I thought were cheesy. ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This edition of Ruins of the Empire collects the previously released books one thru three into one large volume. While I was a huge Korra fan while the original show was airing, I had mostly missed the comics that came after. The re-releases as large volumes have been a wonderful way to catch up on them all.

In Ruins of the Empire, the story continues from where it left off at the end of the show and the focus is on th
Hira Chaudhary
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked getting an insight into the aftermath of Kuvira's actions in the Earth Kingdom and how Wu was working to bring democracy to his people. That was kind of great. And I have always loved Su's family, so it was nice getting more of them and how Kuvira had fit in with them. I liked getting redemption for her because she was a great, complex, amazing character. ...more
Ellie
Mar 31, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 *

OK, I'm probably being a bit harsh, but the Beifong family dynamic is my all-time favourite thing to analyse in LoK and I think this was a missed opportunity to do some proper in-depth discussion that they didn't have time for in the show. Also I'm not a big fan of Kuvira - she was a great villain but I'm not overly invested in someone who tried to anime laser blast an entire city getting a quick redemption arc.

Some thoughts:

- Toph was criminally under-used in this. They got her out of the
Storm
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Former Earth Queen Hou-Ting's Ghost "People don't want CHANGE, they don't care about PROGRESS. What they truly desire is STABILITY."
King Wu "But what about FREEDOM? People should have a say in who leads them."

Kuvira "If Guan controls Wu, he'll be able to wield influence over the entire Earth Kingdom. It's quite a brilliant plan, actually."

Not everyone is on board with Earth King Wu's plan to transition the Earth Kingdom from a monarchy into a Democracy. Kuvira, ever a polarizing figure, has
DaniLanglie
Mar 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Hmm... this is the first of the Avatar-verse continuation comic series that didn't quite click with me. I didn't hate it or anything, but I also wasn't gripped, and it took me longer to get through simply because I wasn't all that excited to pick it up and keep reading.

And the main reason for that is... Kuvira didn't really work for me here. I liked her in Book 4 of the show, as a foil to Korra, but now we're seeing the aftermath of her surrender, and her remorse, and it's like... on the one han
Timothy Pitkin
Jul 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Jud
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good follow-up to Turf Wars and to the ending of LoK s4. The plot was interesting and the writing neat, leading the characters to shine very much thanks to it. For example, I never understood Kuvira that well, but with this comic I finally do: where I saw her dark, now I see spots of light (if that makes sense). I like her very much now and her arc/development/redemption was fantastic.
Also, I loved to see the Beifongs together. Toph is one of my favorite characters of ATLA and I
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Imbalance (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #5)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Rift (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Katara and the Pirate's Silver (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.5)
  • The Lost Adventures and Team Avatar Tales (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Suki, Alone (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #0.6)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Team Avatar Tales (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • The Shadow of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #2)
  • The Rise of Kyoshi (The Kyoshi Novels, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: An Avatar's Chronicle
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book Two: Spirits
See top shelves…
Michael Dante DiMartino is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design. His directing credits include the animated series King of the Hill, Family Guy, and Mission Hill. He is a co-creator of the award-winning animated Nickelodeon series Avatar: The Last Airbender and its sequel, The Legend of Korra. DiMartino lives in Los Angeles with his wife. The Rebel Geniuses series is his debut prose wor ...more

The Legend of Korra Comics (2 books)
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars (The Legend of Korra, #1)

News & Interviews

When author TJ Klune was growing up, he never saw queer characters in books in a way that felt true to his experience.  “They were the...