Start by marking “Master of One” as Want to Read:
Master of One

Master of One

Sinister sorcery. Gallows humor. A queer romance.

Rags is a thief—an excellent one. He's stolen into noble's coffers, picked soldier's pockets, and even liberated a ring or two off the fingers of passersby. Until he's caught by the Queensguard and forced to find an ancient fae relic for a sadistic royal sorcerer.

But Rags could never have guessed this "relic" would actually
Published November 10th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Master of One, please sign up.
Jaida Jones
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jaida Jones We definitely have IDEAS for more...! (Perhaps too many ideas? So, so many ideas!) Hoping to be able to share more about that at some point...!

Start your review of Master of One
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
For the first little bit, I thought this was going to be so good. Then, it just turned me off.

I liked the creatures and the edition is beautiful but unfortunately, this book is going to me traded in.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

December FairyLoot Unboxing and we got some awesome stuff! Click the link under the pic to see the GOODIES!

GOODIES LINK:
Amy Imogene Reads
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Why aren’t there more people reading this book?? Thieves, Indiana Jones-style adventure quests, queer slow burn Fae/thief romance, courtly betrayals, and a truly masterful and fresh approach to long-form traditional YA fantasy tropes.

Concept: ★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Humor: ★★★★★
Slow Burn Romance: ★★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★★

Master of One took me by surprise. Literally. I picked it up on a whim, started reading, and found myself emerging from my reading hidey-hole HOURS later with a crick in my neck
Nerily
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok let's be honest.

This is probably not 5 stars.
I couldn't care less.

I add a star as a "Sorry If I thought you were a trashy book, I will never do it again"

But please.
I need the sequel.

God, I love when I am wrong in a good way about books.
jocelyn
2 / 5
i really enjoyed this in the first 100 pages, but it dragged sooo much after that. it threw me into a weeks-long reading slump, my FIRST ONE THIS YEAR. i was under the impression that this book would be about a thief, a fae, a heist, and some gay adventures, but that constituted a very low percentage of the story.
the beginning was the only heist part, starting off with a sort of aladdin-esque plot. rags, the thief, is forced by the queen’s sorceress to break into a fae stronghold with only
Mariah
Jun 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2020-releases, mm
WHY IS THIS STANDALONE GUHHHH

Okay I'm going with 4 stars, probably rounding up a bit there.
I am aware that I was in the exact perfect mood for this book, otherwise this would be a very different review and rating.

This is a quiet story. Don't pick this up expecting big thrills or a large romance plot, you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment.

My favorite part of this was Rags' POV, his entire inner mologue was just deeply entertaining and kept me invested in the story. It was definitely mo
Devanshi (on hiatus)
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exciting wasn’t powerful enough for what Somhairle had found. A group of strangers who could be friends. A group of friends who might become heroes.

When I read the blurb and saw Six of Crows + The Cruel Prince my deal was sealed despite not knowing anything about the authors or story. But did this book meet all my expectations? Definitely!

We have a little sweet thief with a lot of humor (not at all anything like Kaz so don't expect that), a too literal cute fae prince (NOT our cruel Prince)
rin
Mar 21, 2019 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
" When a common thief finds himself on the wrong side of the law, his punishment is to join an evil sorcerer on a perilous journey to uncover a lost fae relic. The relic turns out to be a fae himself—a distractingly handsome, annoyingly perfect, ancient fae prince. Together they must save the world from the evil sorcerer, while trying not to fall in love with each other."

YELLS IN GAY
Andy
Thank you to TBR & Beyond Tours, Netgalley, the authors and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Can I reread this already?? Honestly, my brain is just scrambled from all the amazing books I've been reading lately, but Master of One takes the cake. A thief who discovers the last fae? A slow burn Achillean romance? A crew that is diverse and queer? They must take down an evil sorcerer and Queen? Yes, this book checks all the boxes that I wanted and mo
Taschima
This book almost put me in the biggest reading slump ever.

It is so LONG. It is not a "heist story" even though a thief is the main character, it is more an Indiana Jones looking for lost fae treasure story. There is no convoluted clever plan to steal anything, there are puzzles to reach a treasure though.

And, I was just bored quite honest.

The beginning felt rushed to me. I didn't have time to bond to the MC (even though he has quite a morbid sense of humor) before we were literally sent strai
Julie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ALL I WANT TO DO IS SCREAM ABOUT THIS BOOK AND THAT ENDING BUT I KNOW I HAVE TO WRITE A COHERENT REVIEW SO I PROMISE ONE IS COMING BUT FOR NOW OHMYGOODNESS
[...clears throat]

**Thank you to Harper Collins Canada for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.**

This is definitely 4.5 stars. Woah.
As you might have guessed from those opening lines, I stayed up late finishing this book one night and it quickly became one that I wanted to scream about... at many friends...

Things t
h o l l i s
This might be a read I could actually round up on but for now I'm going to linger just under a three. I definitely didn't hate this and, despite the length (so long!), it was a pretty easy read — I swear, my eyes only skimmed the tiniest bit. Also the concept is definitely different and I appreciate that. But I do rather feel the pitch of this book as being a big ol' heist adventure is patently false.

Instead, this book is about the ever lasting reign of a queen who has committed, or at least con
No One
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodness I love this book with all my heart and instantly fell in love with each character. Such a unique book and I’m eager for more
Darce

buddy read with the wonderful Ashley :))

ooo such fun!! this had a veryyyy slow start, but once it picked up i enjoyed the novel! the fantasy worldbuilding was interesting and the romance was cute, i just had a slight issue with the characters, as i only found myself growing attached to a couple of them. ah well, i'm glad i read this and i look forward to book 2!
Sophie's Reading Corner
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this YA LGBTQ fantasy we have Rags, a thief who somehow has to go on a secret quest. We meet amazing characters along the way and the humor is epic! We have thieves, Princes, sorcerers, fae, Knights, etc. If you're a fan of books by Leigh Bardugo and Holly Black, then you should read this book!

I really enjoyed this book!! I loved the tests that Rags had to go through in the beginning and how clever they were. I also loved how developed and multilayered these characters were. If you love fant
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Edit March 20th : I wrote this review when the book had 140 ratings on GR, so that's why I'm wondering why nobody read it in my review below : it has now approx 1300 ratings, and I hope, still counting!

Okay, there are a lot of things I don't understand here, first of all, why is nobody talking about this book more? I've seen it nowhere on my feed and to be honest, I can't even remember how I heard about it myself (probably a bookstagram account?) but this book deserves some hype!

Second, I think
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars

(BR with the perfect Darce as per usu!)

.5 stars taken off because the first 100 pages of this book were almost insufferably slowwwww. BUT OH WELL, THIS BOOK IS SO WORTH IT!

UMMMMM. THIS. BOOOOOOK!!! Literally this book was so freaking fantastic I can't even explain. The LGBTQIA reps here were just AHHHHH my heart is SOARING, guys!

And this had everything— an evil sorcerer, a dirty mouthed thief (which warning, may not be your thing, but personally bring on all the curse w
Anniek
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I normally can't really focus on SFF audiobooks, but this one was a clear exception. It was such a long book, but I almost couldn't stop listening to it, I had so much fun! It was very fast-paced from the start and just so much happened. ...more
birdie
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, lgbtqiap, fantasy
*3.5
This kind of open ending should be illegal...either way this book was really good! You can expect a review + interview with BOTH of the authors on November 8th on my blog!
Alexx
Jun 30, 2020 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anticipated-2020
Heists, faes, royals, queer romance, magic, and one of the authors just told me no one in this book is straight. Oh, how I love it already. 🤣

Find me elsewhere: Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Yuli Atta
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-dnf
DNF @ 74% I rated it because I read so much of it.

Warning: This review is going to be a mess. It will be kind of like bullet points and me expanding on them.

Yet another book that lies in the synopsis.

A heist, "a pair of reluctant heroes who take on a world-ending prophecy, a malicious royal plot, and most of all, their feelings for each other" is what I was offered. But where is it?

The book starts off pretty well actually. While I didn't think the idea was especially original, I liked it, and
Lu
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much, NetGalley, HarperCollins Children's books and Harperteen for the chance to read this book!

TW: murder, torture, violence, loss of free will, kidnapping, death

Rags is an excellent thief, until he's caught by the Queensguard and forced to help a sadistic and cruel sorcerer to find an ancient Fae relic, a powerful relic unlike anything they ever knew. But after Rags finds a Fae, a beautiful, powerful prince called Shining Talon, things begin to become more and more dangerous and c
Starr ❇✌❇
I received an ARC from Edelweiss
TW: physical abuse, torture
4.6

Rags is a thief- and a good one at that. But when he's caught pulling what would have been the heist of his life, he's forced into an even bigger and riskier heist. One involving the dangerous, and now all wiped out fae folk. Except the treasure at the end isn't any treasure he was expecting- instead, it's a still living fae boy and the new understanding that he's just at the beginning. With a crew of the forgotten, damaged, and a
Michael Araujo
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faeries
This review was originally published on TheFandom.

Jaida Jones and Dani Bennett created an intense book in Master of One that’ll offer readers a wild ride they’ll never forget.

In Master of One, Rags finds out that sometimes being a small time thief can attract the attention of some pretty powerful people. So when he’s given a job by a powerful sorcerer to explore a deserted fae court, he literally has no choice but to take it. It’s literally do or die. In this epic adventure, Rags and co.
Cindee
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much it is now one of my favorites of the year. I loved everything about this book from the story and the characters and everything in between I am also really wishing for a sequel I hope it gets published someday. I loved all of the characters they all were so very well developed and I look forward to maybe reading more about them. The characters that I loved most were Rags and Tal I loved the slow burn romance and the payoff at the end was so great. I really loved Rags for ...more
Alexx
WHEW. Okay, listen. This book is one of my most anticipated reads this year, and I'll definitely be looking forward to the sequel next year!

Master of One was a whole action-packed ride. Though it can take a while to really build up/can feel slow at times, the intriguing plot and the characters really stood out for me and got me invested in the story. Also!! All the yearning in this book made me want to curl up in a ball. (oh, the AGONY)

Full review soon!

(Also, a big thanks to the author Jaida Jon
Stacey-Lea

This is far too long for how little seems to happen.
Master of One is definitely slow paced, I really did have to stop about halfway because I was bored and disinterested. I only managed to finish this because I had it on audio and decided to see it out because this book was chosen for a book box I get and they don't usually get it this wrong.

You're introduced to a lot of characters but I personally didn't connect with any of them. I wasn't excited to read from any particular perspectiv
Frankie
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. It's got everything I normally avoid: a quest plotline, inconsistent pacing, multiple POVs, and a generic medieval European setting. But wow, it is charming, and the characters have taken hold of my heart.

This might be a YA fantasy but it reads way more like Adult. It sort of gave me Merlin meets The Lord of the Rings meets Terry Pratchett's sense of humor. I haven't read Terry Pratchett, but I've read and loved Good Omens, so I base it of
Clara
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-other, my-shelf
Master of One wasn't at all what I expected. I don't mean this in a bad way - I just want to let you know that I think the synopsis is kind of misleading. This is a book about magic and old secrets and villains who will do anything to stay in power, starring an unlikely hero who definitely didn't sign up for this. There's a heist and a queer romance, as advertised in the synopsis, but those aren't the focus for most of the book.

The part of this book that stood out most to me was one of the POV c
indy
Dec 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
damn this was ... boring as hell
Alex (The Scribe Owl)
See this review and more at my blog, The Scribe Owl!

Buddy read with Laura, Raquel, Gaea, and Bopeep.

2/5 stars

I never predicted that Master of One would be my new favorite thing, but I started to see my fellow buddy reads who started a little early really enjoy it. I'm so glad that they enjoyed it, but I just don't think it was the right book for me.

Rags is a thief—an excellent one. He’s stolen into noble’s coffers, picked soldier’s pockets, and even liberated a ring or two off the fingers of pa

• This Golden Flame
  • Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man
  • It Devours! (Welcome to Night Vale, #2)
  • Winter's Orbit
  • Lore
  • Mexican Gothic
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • How I Learned to Hate in Ohio
  • Piranesi
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
  • Friends With Boys
  • Through the Woods
  • The Wayward Prince (Mind + Machine, #2)
See top shelves…
Jaida Jones is a graduate of Barnard College, where they wrote their thesis on monsters in Japanese literature and film. A poet and native New Yorker, they had their first collection of poetry, Cinquefoil published by New Babel Books in 2006. They also co-wrote the Shoebox Project - a Harry Potter fan website with more than five thousand subscribed members. They currently live in Brooklyn with the ...more

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“„My apologies, Lo – Rags the Thief,” Shining Talon replied, „but the trees do not speak to me.”
„Yeah, trees don't speak to anyone.”
„They should,” Shining Talon insisted. „They used to.”
Rags had to bite. „What did they say? 'Fuck, there's a worm in my roots, tickles like a sonofawhore?' 'Wish that sparrow would stop taking a shit on me?'”
„Yes,” Shining Talon admitted, „those were the most common complaints. But they phrased it so beautifully. Through their language, you could understand a little more of the living world.”
Rags gave up talking to him after that.”
2 likes
“„Dirt isn’t supposed to be good for scrapes. You know that, right?”
Shining Talon didn’t look up as he replied, “Fed with the corpses and blood of my ancestors, this dirt is different.”
“Ew,” Rags said.”