Start by marking “Soulswift” as Want to Read:
Soulswift

Soulswift

A dark, epic fantasy about a girl who must reevaluate everything she believes after she is betrayed and hunted by the religion that raised her—from Megan Bannen, author of The Bird and the Blade. Perfect for fans of The Winner’s Curse and The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

Gelya is a Vessel, a girl who channels the word of the One True God through song. Cloistered with the other
Expected publication: November 17th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Soulswift, please sign up.
Megan Bannen I'm so glad you liked The Bird and the Blade. :) This book is a YA stand-alone fantasy and isn't based on an opera or any existing story. I hope you l…moreI'm so glad you liked The Bird and the Blade. :) This book is a YA stand-alone fantasy and isn't based on an opera or any existing story. I hope you like it!(less)
Megan Bannen Thanks for asking! Yes, this is a stand alone novel.

Start your review of Soulswift
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Sep 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
her first book devastated me so of course I'm back for another round

R I P ME BECAUSE OF THAT GORGEOUS COVER
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Candace Robinson
Another beautifully written book by Bannen! She really does some of the most emotional things with her books! ❤️
Megan Bannen
Jul 26, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
UPDATE: The preorder campaign for SOULSWIFT is officially up and running!

If you preorder SOULSWIFT from The Raven Book Store in Lawrence, KS (https://www.ravenbookstore.com/soulswift) you will receive:
~ A signed copy of SOULSWIFT with a special stamp
~ A bookmark
~ A sticker
~ A chance to win the SOULSWIFT Preorder Grand Prize Pack

What’s in that SOULSWIFT Preorder Grand Prize Pack, you ask? All of the above, plus:
~ A cozy blanket scarf that coordinates with the book’s gorgeous cover
~ A forbidden f
Minglu Jiang
I don't even know what this book is about and I want it so bad.
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
I absolutely loved Vessel from Sarah Beth Durst. And did you say The Winner's Curse? FLY AWAY WITH MY MONEY.

description
Celia McMahon
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Edelweiss and the publisher for the chance to review this book.

Oh wow, this book. To this day I cannot figure out how authors pack so much into a stand-alone book. But Megan does it so well, I must bow to her in thanks. I learn from the greats.

This is a story of blind faith and forgetting everything you've ever known. There is an enemy to lover's trope, but GOD I LOVE IT. There is not much more to say other than that this book took me on a ride and destroyed me. I was blown away by th
Mike Lasagna
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only cried 36 times it’s cool. 🤩
Breanna
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.5 stars ✨ That ending was achingly beautiful and nothing less than what I had expected from this author. Full RTC! 💕
Kristen Beverly
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to say something really bold here - reading Soulswift gave me all the feelings that I felt when I originally read books like Divergent and the Hunger Games so many years ago. While this book is a dark fantasy and a completely different story, I felt like I was transported back to the magic of reading those dystopian books for the first time. Soulswift is a dark fantasy story that moves so quickly, the characters are rich and loveable, and it was easy to read – even the world building. ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
The authors whose books are blessed to have beautiful and stunning covers??? THEIR POWER.

Thank you HarperCollins and Balzer+Bray for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
❀ Alex ❀ (The Scribe Owl)
Wow I think I need this
muwi
Feb 02, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
feed me more angst mother
Alexandra
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, favorites
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on *Milky Way of Books*

How am I supposed to write this review now? When I am still emotionally compromised and want to curl in a ball and cry? Megan Bannen hows very, very well how to pull her readers strings and make us all root for her characters and also make them stay with us even after the story is done.

Souldswift takes place in a fantasy world where the Northern kingdoms believe in the Ovin religi
Jeremy Martin
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Megan Bannen proved through her debut novel, BIRD AND THE BLADE, that she is a master storyteller. In her second novel, SOULSWIFT, Bannen delivers a hearty mix of realistic and likable characters, thick world building, and a tightly woven plot that dives deep into warring religions. With another excellent work of art beneath her belt, Megan Bannen proves she is a rising star in the literary world.
Alyson Kent
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, Edelweiss, for the ARC.
Lindsay
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
That ending was a no.
Lisa Mandina
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review to come closer to publication date, but another beautifully written story by Megan Bannen.
Kibby
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 9/10. Full review will be available on TheNerdDaily.com closer to publication.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
What a cover!

diana
Sh*t

That about sums up my feelings. I don't know if I can come up with a more thorough review but right now I just don't have anything more to say.

My heart is lying in shattered, stomped-on pieces and I may never recover. Ever. Thanks a lot, Megan Bannen.

I received an e-arc to read and review.
Andi
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, on-kindle
Thank you to the publisher and also to Edelweiss for allowing me a copy of this book prior to release.

Destiny. Religion. Love. Sacrifice.

I mean, these are all things I like to read in fantasy books. Some authors are able to take this on really, really well. A few that come to mind: Robin Hobb, Brandon Sanderson, Juliet Marillier.

This was my first book by Megan Bannen and probably my last.

Our focal point of the story is cloistered as a nun in a church which trains its women to be servants of a
Starr ❇✌❇
4.5

Gelya serves the One True God as a Vessel for his word- meaning she was chosen, found in a heathen country, to understand sacred writing and sing His magic. She has never questioned her faith in her religion, or thought about her past beyond that she was lucky to have been taken away from such a terrible place. But when the unthinkable happens- a coup, killing her only friend- and leaves her with no one to trust but a captured soldier from the other side, she no longer has the privilege of si
Morgan
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Holly
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fantasy, edelweiss
I received a copy of this from Edelweiss in return for a review.

Ok, so I probably don't have to tell most of you that it's incredibly rare to find a YA fantasy novel that is a standalone. When I saw that the description looked interesting as well, I jumped on this.

It took a while for me to feel like it was really going anywhere. I tend to have this problem with fantasy, though, especially in our already-pretty-much-dystopian world. I just have trouble getting use to the new rules of that world.
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
**I am on the blog tour for this book and received a physical ARC to read for this tour. But all thoughts and opinions are my own. A huge thank you to the author for choosing me to be on this tour**
MAN this book was great! I love the world building, the mythology, the well done balance of doubt and faith with religion and two people who want to find the truth. The author does such a great job at creating characters who doubt what they believe but they work together to find the truth and do good.
Thindbooks
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
*This e-galley was given to me by the publisher to give an honest review in return*

I loved this book! It was such a great read! It's about Gelya who is a vessel meaning she can channel the word of the One True God by song. She believes that a saint imprisoned Elath the Great Demon which saved the world until she meets Tavik who believes that Elath is a mother goddess and needs to be freed. Tavik turns Gelya into Elath's human vessel making her a threat to her people and she has to work with Tavi
Liv
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweeping and epic fantasy, Soulswift was a real pleasure to read. Incredible world building, I was hooked from the very first page and found myself slowing down in order to savour it.

Gelya is a Vessel, raised as part of a holy order to be the voice of her God. But everything she thinks she knows is thrown into question when she meets a boy with different beliefs.

The plot is really well paced, with clever twists and characters whose allegiances aren't what you'd expect. The whole thing was so
Charlou
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy, arc, ya
Yes, I am always influenced by the cover and this cover doesn't let you down! This book has everything I want in a YA fantasy - a strong but struggling female protagonist, a simmering romance, a world I haven't been in before but can visualize by the middle of the book. This book also has a compelling moral dilemma - how do you reconcile the truths you learned as a child with an expanding view of the world? It's hard and not trivialized in this story. And the ending had my adrenaline pumping lik ...more
Cathy
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure I can adequately convey the beauty of this book. I couldn’t put it down.
I cried at the end, though I’m not sure if it was because of the end of because it was the end. I loved this book so much. It’s a beautifully written story that I will read again and again. It’s going in my list of favorites!

• The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Beyond the Ruby Veil (Beyond the Ruby Veil, #1)
  • Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
  • Eventide
  • How to Pack for the End of the World
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • Beautiful Wild
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • The Dark Tide
  • Hush (Hush, #1)
  • The Black Kids
  • Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)
  • A Wicked Magic
Megan Bannen is the author of SOULSWIFT and THE BIRD AND THE BLADE, a Kirkus Best Young Adult Book of 2018 and an Indies Introduce selection. An avid coffee drinker and mediocre ukulele player, Megan lives in the Kansas City area with her husband and their two children. She's a full-time writer, but her librarian heart will always belong to the reference desk. You can find her online at www.meganb ...more

News & Interviews