Jump to ratings and reviews

One More for Christmas

From the USA TODAY bestselling author of The Christmas Sisters comes this sparkling tale of Christmas redemption. Brimming with Sarah Morgan’s trademark festive cheer, you won’t want to miss it!

For sisters Samantha and Ella Mitchell, Christmas is their most precious time of the year—a time for togetherness, love and celebration. Most of all, it’s about making up for everything their childhood Christmases lacked. But this year, they’ll be buying presents for the most unexpected guest of all—their estranged mother. It’s been five years since they last saw each other. But when their mom calls out of the blue and promises that this Christmas will be different, Samantha and Ella cautiously agree to spend it all together…

Gayle Mitchell is at the top of her career, but her success has come at a price—her relationship with her daughters. She never seemed to say or do the right things. Her tough-love approach was designed to make them stronger, but instead managed to push them away…until a brush with her own mortality forces Gayle to make amends. As the snowflakes fall on their first family celebration in years, the Mitchell women must learn that sometimes facing up to the past is all you need to heal your heart…

416 pages, Paperback

First published October 6, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sarah Morgan

818 books5,134 followers
About Sarah

USA Today and Sunday Times bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes romance and contemporary women's fiction and her trademark humour and warmth have gained her fans across the globe. Sarah lives near London, England, and when she isn't reading or writing she loves being outdoors.

SNOWED IN FOR CHRISTMAS is out now! Watch out for Sarah's next summer novel, Summer Wedding (UK title)/The Island Villa (US title) coming in May.

Join Sarah on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorSarahM...
Follow Sarah on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SarahMorgan_
Follow Sarah on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahmorgan...
Follow Sarah on Pinterest: https://uk.pinterest.com/SarahMorgan_/
Website: www.sarahmorgan.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
326 (3%)
1 star
113 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 926 reviews
Profile Image for Ceecee.
1,858 reviews1,371 followers
September 23, 2020
Gayle Mitchell is a hugely successful, inspirational CEO of a consultancy firm and an author. Following a television interview her life literally falls apart - or does it? An accident gives her pause for reflection especially in the fractured relationship with daughter Samantha who runs a successful bespoke holiday company and Ella, married to Michael and a stay at him mum to Tabitha. Much against the sisters will they all decide to spend Christmas in the Scottish Highlands to see if Brodie McIntyre’s estate would be a good fit for Samantha’s holiday company. The story is principally told by Gayle, Samantha and Ella.

I don’t often delve into this genre but when I read Sarah Morgan’s books I ask myself why I don’t read more. She has a way of captivating you with her storytelling and leaving you with a heartfelt lovely glow! Although these are in the romance genre there is always plenty in her stories to give you pause to reflect. This is a story of second chances, of healing, renewing and moving forwards fully embracing life and seizing its opportunities and what better place to set it than the magical Highlands!!! The descriptions of the landscape actually brought a lump to my throat! The characters are excellent- I love the warmth and wisdom of Mary, Brodie’s mother, and her growing bond with Gayle. Tabitha just makes you smile she’s so adorable and what can I say about Brodie? Hmmm, I might have fallen in love!!!!!! There’s a bit of everything in this book, it has a good message, there’s humour, there’s reflection, there’s Christmas, there’s the warmth of friendship and it’s a little bit steamy on occasion!! My only reservation is to question whether the short sections of Brodie’s sister Kirstie were actually needed?

Overall, another really good Christmas book offering from the author. It’s lovely, charming, heartwarming and exactly what we need in these times of uncertainty. I just hope this isn’t the closest we get to an actual Christmas this year 🤞.

With thanks to NetGalley, HQ and Sarah Morgan for the much appreciated ARC for an honest review.
Profile Image for Jonetta.
2,164 reviews884 followers
November 3, 2021
Gayle Mitchell is the head of Mitchell Associates and is the leading expert on organizational change as well as a fierce advocate for women in business. She appears to have it all but when a freak accident happens and her oldest daughter is contacted, what’s missing in her life comes to light. She hasn’t seen or spoken to her daughters, Samantha and Ella, in five years following a major blowup. It’s Christmas season, one her daughters love and embrace but a time in the year Gayle most dislikes. Samantha and Ella are very close and always celebrated Christmas together. Samantha owns a specialized vacation planning service and had planned to visit an estate in the Scottish Highlands to evaluate the property. Circumstances evolve that have all three women, including Ella’s husband and 5-year old daughter, making the trip together.

These were three very interesting women and I was intrigued to learn what fractured the daughters from their mother. We learn a lot about Gayle from the outset so I had a clue but her behavior was so outrageously callous I knew there had to have been some big event that shaped her thinking. What made her a successful businesswoman shattered her relationships with Samantha and Ella. The estate in Scotland was a lovely and charming setting to fuse the warmth of the holiday setting and a second chance for Gayle to connect with her daughters. And, Brodie McIntyre, the handsome estate owner provides an element of romance to the story.

I was looking for a heartwarming story with a little weight to it and this delivered everything I was hoping to find to begin my seasonal reading. Each of the women brought their own issues to the mix and finding their way back to each other wasn’t easy. The setting was a perfect backdrop and Gayle’s revelations about her past were surprising. I listened to the story and while I liked the narrator, she never made a distinction between the three women’s voices, often making it difficult to know which was whom. Her Scottish lilt for those characters was wonderful though and she’s a good storyteller. I enjoyed this story and particularly liked the humorous elements. It was the perfect holiday reading choice.

Posted on Blue Mood Café

(Thanks to Harlequin Audio for my complimentary copy. All opinions are my own.)
Profile Image for Madison Warner Fairbanks.
2,122 reviews275 followers
December 23, 2020
One More For Christmas by Sarah Morgan
Contemporary women’s fiction / romance. Told mostly from three points of view: Samantha, Elle, and their mother Gayle. As adults, they are rekindling their connections after Gayle has an accident and realizes work isn’t enough for her anymore.

Lots of emotional healing in the book plus a wonderful hero who is a self proclaimed clumsy nerd. He will do what’s needed to save his family home.

Consenting and differing opinions from my book group on the ease of the reconciliation and forgiveness. I found it touching and it made my heart happy.
Plenty of emotional tears for me.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,045 reviews120 followers
October 31, 2020
I really enjoyed reading this Christmas story from Sarah Morgan. I have read other books by her in the past and was expecting something equally sweet. However, this book was far more poignant as Morgan explores a divide that has torn a mother and her two daughters apart.

Morgan quickly establishes the circumstances surrounding Gayle and her two daughters, Samantha and Ella. When it is revealed that they haven’t spoken for five years, and that last time was an exchange of hurtful, angry words, you do wonder how the women will survive to spend Christmas together? However, as Morgan gradually reveals more about these women and their backgrounds, it soon becomes evident that a Christmas together is actually what they all need; to realise that mother and daughters are not so different and they all need a bit more love.

What surprised me the most was how emotional and poignant Gayle and Samantha’s story really was. Although Ella has had troubles with being honest to her mother, I thought that Gayle’s loneliness and Samantha’s reluctance to share feelings created a rather sad narrative. Indeed, when the truth about Gayle’s marriage is revealed, I could not help but feel really sorry for the woman who was initially portrayed as cold and unforgiving.

As the narrative progresses, readers are given indications that this family are going to turn “that corner” and be closer by the end of the novel. Gayle’s cold-heartedness naturally dominates the narrative and, when it came to Samantha getting a chance at happiness, I found myself really excited! It is like this episode breaks the tension and I was really rooting for Samantha being able to open up to her a new relationship.

I found the chapter lengths surprisingly long. This is not what I expect from books of this genre. I would have preferred some breaks within the chapters because of my personal commitments! However, I did end up zipping through this book because I am one of those people who hate pausing mid-chapter… before I knew it, the book had concluded! On the topic of the ending, I would have also liked Morgan to have included an Epilogue. Having seen Gayle and her daughters grow closer, I was desperate to know what happens to them next and whether there is a happy-ever-after for them all. After reading about them and sharing the lead-up to Christmas, I felt a part of their family circle and was keen to see a final conclusion. Instead, it is left to reader’s imaginations which, in my case, will always try to give a happy ending.

This was a great Christmas offering from Morgan and another favourite festive read of mine. You have the symbols of snow and all the Christmas traditions but, what makes this different, is the sadness radiating from Gayle’s story. Consequently, I felt far more involved in the narrative; protective towards each character and wanting them to reunite as a family once more.

With thanks to HQ Digital and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kat.
Author 8 books306 followers
November 12, 2020
Sarah Morgan always writes interesting Christmas stories about family and relationship issues with heart. In “One More for Christmas” we have highly successful businesswoman Gail who has allowed an estrangement with her daughters to go on for years. Her daughters, Samantha and Ella, are warm and have a close bond with each other. They just want nothing to do with their mother. When an accident forces them all to reconnect and Gail convinces Sam and Ella to take her on their planned scouting trip to a house up in the Scottish Highlands, they’re less than pleased. So are the owners of the property, who are up against financial pressures and at risk of losing their livelihoods if they don’t start taking on paying guests. Lots of tension! And of course there’s more going on behind the scenes that eventually comes out, lots of surprises and secrets. And once things moved over to the snowy Scottish Highland setting and there was a bit of romance in the air for Samantha and Brody, this felt even more magical.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Profile Image for Berit Talks Books.
1,999 reviews15.7k followers
December 29, 2020
Charming, festive, and emotional. Sarah Morgan always hits me right in the feels with her evocative storytelling. A gorgeous setting, a family in need of healing, and a sprinkling of romance. Gayle appears to have it all, but that is far from the truth. She does not have a relationship with her grown daughters Ella and Samantha. The sisters finally severed ties with their mother after years of being criticized, judged, and belittled. but after Gayle has an accident the Sisters visit her in the hospital some secrets are revealed and Gayle is determined to heal her relationship with her girls. This leads to a family trip at Christmas time to a gorgeous Scottish manner.

The story bounces between now and then and the perspectives of Gayle, Samantha, and Ella. there is also a fourth perspective peppered in periodically and I am not certain that it needed to be included? To be clear didn’t take anything away from the book, just didn’t add anything either. I was instantly drawn to both Samantha and Ella‘s stories. Samantha had the coolest job of creating perfect Christmas getaways. Ella had a quiet strength, the cutest daughter and a pretty good guy for a husband. I loved how supportive and close the sisters were, made me want a sister. Took me quite a while to warm up to Gayle, but as I got to know her better and learned her pass I could understand more where she was coming from. Brody the love interest in the story was quite delicious. another sparkling Christmas tale from Miss Morgan.

*** Big thank you to HQN for my gifted copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ***
Profile Image for Ivana - Diary of Difference.
543 reviews690 followers
December 11, 2022
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Ko-fi

I know we’re way past Christmas now, but there’s never a bad time to read a Christmas book. And One More for Christmas is the perfect book to bring the Christmas magic any time of the year. Huge thanks to the author, Sarah Morgan, for sending me a signed copy of this book to read and review! I will forever treasure it!

Synopsis:

Gayle is a highly successful and motivated business woman, but her success has come at a price – she hasn’t spoken to her daughters, Ella and Samantha, for years. But when Gayle has an accident at work, she realises she needs to make amends with her family.

And so she invites herself to join Ella and Samantha for their Christmas in the beautiful Scottish Highlands. The sisters are none too pleased that their mother has inserted herself into their Christmas plans. They have each other – and don’t need their mother back in their lives. Or so they think…

As they embark on their first family Christmas together in years, will the three women learn that sometimes facing up to a few home truths is all you need to heal your heart?

My Thoughts:

I actually read One More For Christmas during the Christmas holidays, but as you can see, I am still trying to keep up to date with my backlist. This is not your typical Christmas book. It’s a modern story, about complicated relationships and pursuing careers. It’s also about how sometimes changing your perspective in life can bring you true happiness.

Gayle has not been the best mother to her daughters, and that’s why Ella and Samantha have learned to stick together. When they end up having to spend Christmas with their mum, many emotions start to come back. Sarah Morgan has succeeded in portraying their relationship and their point of view, and we can grasp their complexity thanks to her.

“A relationship is like a jigsaw, isn’t it? Whether it’s with a partner, with friends or with your children – it’s made up of hundreds of tiny pieces, some imperfect. Those characteristics unique to each one of us, the genes we inherit, our life experiences, the way we behave. Tony, misshapen little pieces that make us who we are. And when you make a life with someone, you have to somehow find a way to make all those pieces fit. If you’re lucky, they come together into something that makes sense as a whole.”

Even though the relationship between the mother and her daughters seems to drive the story, this book is so much more than that. Modern romance, beautiful Christmassy moments set on a mountain in Scotland and powerful feminist voice!

The perfect modern Christmas book!

I especially loved the scenes that brought the Christmas spirits, especially through the eyes of a little girl. The reindeers, the snow, the food and the family atmosphere, it was all so warm and loving. It was quite unique to also read about how Ella and Samantha feel about Christmas as well, having grown up without celebrating it. And the same goes for Gayle as well – her reasons for not celebrating Christmas with her daughters, and her personal development throughout the book.

Emotional, modern and amazingly written Christmas book that will transport you to the magical Scottish mountains. I love Sarah Morgan’s writing and can’t wait to read her next book. I hope her books become movie adaptations one day as well!
Profile Image for Dale Harcombe.
Author 12 books288 followers
December 26, 2022
This is the story of two families. There is sisters Samantha and Ella who love Christmas time, despite the fact that their single mother Gayle never allowed any Christmas celebrations. They have been out of contact with their mother for five years after a huge argument. But then an accident lands Gayle in hospital and suddenly she reaches out to her two daughters. Gayle wants them to spend Christmas together. She promises this Christmas will be different. Can they trust her?
Gayle Mitchell is a celebrated business woman and author of books purporting to change people’s lives. But her career came at the cost of the relationship with her daughters.
The other family consists of Mary, mourning the death of her husband of forty years, her son Brodie and daughter Kirstie. As well as dealing with grief they are trying to find a way to maintain the large property of Kinleven so Mary does not have to move. But trying to make the home pay its way, means drastic changes to their lives.
That’s where Samantha and her successful business of providing elite holidays for the rich comes in. But can they make it work? Will people be interested in holidaying in this remote place in the Scottish Highland, even if it does come complete with reindeer?
Now maybe I am extra soppy at this time of year but I adored this book. It involved me emotionally and it was easy to relate to these three women as they try to build a relationship from the ashes of the past. Equally easy to fall in love with Mary, Brodie and Kirstie. This is a story of family relationships. Plus a romance as well.
The characters are complex, the setting gorgeous and the exploration of relationships is beautifully portrayed. Yes, there were tears at times and smiles at other times. A lovely book. My second by this author.I will be looking for more by her. Highly recommended for readers of women's fiction who love an involving story. And if it is a tad predictable who cares? For me, it all worked beautifully. A treat to read.
Profile Image for ABookwormWithWine.
1,347 reviews484 followers
December 23, 2020
4.5/5

Song/s the book brought to mind: Winter Wonderland by Michael Bublé because this book is SET in a winter wonderland!

One More for Christmas is my first book by Sarah Morgan and it definitely won't be my last, I LOVED this book!! It was funny, heartfelt, and set in a stunning location. I loved the look at the sister relationship between Samantha and Ella, and their relationships (or lack thereof) with their mom Gayle. Forgiveness was one of the big themes in the book, and what a better time for forgiveness than around Christmastime? I also loved that the book included viewpoints of the owners of the estate in the Scottish Highlands that the family goes to for Christmas. This isn't explicitly mentioned in the synopsis, but I don't consider it a spoiler.

I thought Morgan created the best characters and this would make an amazing movie. The cover is notable to mention because it's gorgeous, and it is perfect to convey the feel of the book. One More for Christmas has Hallmark qualities but it was also very emotional and complex and went above and beyond what I was expecting from a holiday read. Lucy Tregear narrates the audio which is how I did this one, and I loved her narration for the book. One More for Christmas was so much fun and had so much heart, and I highly recommend it if you are in the mood for a sweet Christmas read!
Profile Image for Amanda.
710 reviews233 followers
January 20, 2021

Well this book was a pleasant surprise for me. I don’t normally like romantic or Christmas stories yet I devoured this up!!

Gayle is a accomplished business woman but her success has come at a price, as she is estranged from her two daughters Samantha and Ella.

When Gayle has an accident she reaches out to her daughters who she hasn’t seen in five years. Samantha and Ella are both excitedly making plans for Christmas that do not include their mother!! Gayle convinces her reluctant family to spend Christmas together

The story is told from their individual points of view as they all head off to Scotland, where Sam will be viewing a castle as a possible holiday destination for her travel company.

This is such a beautifully written book. I found it to be heartwarming and exactly what I needed to read during these stressful times!! I have never read a Sarah Morgan book before but I will definitely look out for her other stories ASAP!!

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Profile Image for Louise Wilson.
2,628 reviews1,606 followers
October 20, 2020
3,5 stars rounded up to 4

For sisters, Samantha and Ella Mitchell, Christmas is their most precious time of the year. It's about making up for everything their childhood Christmases lacked. But this year, they'll be buying presents for the most unexpected guest, their estranged mother. Its been five years since they last seen each other.

Gayle Mitchell is at the top of her career, but success has come at a price, her relationship with her daughters. She never seems to say or do the right thing. But when Gayle has a brush with her own mortality forces Gayle to make amends.

Gayle had had a terrible accident and thwr made her want to reconnect with her daughters. They had not spoken for five years. This is a story of reconciliation and forgiveness. The story is told from multiple points of view. They all agree to travel from New York to Scotland so that Sam can look at a castle as a possible holiday destination for the travel company she works for. The characters are likeable and well rounded. The descriptions of Scotland were accurate. This is a feel good Christmas read.

I would like to thank #NetGalley, #HQ and the author #SarahMorgan for my ARC in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Hannah.
441 reviews97 followers
November 16, 2020
Gayle hasn't talked to her daughters for years. A workplace didn't even know she had a daughter never mind two. Ella hasn't told her mum about three big things in her life and Samantha is starting to get some of her traits. Gayle has an accident for them to all meet again and they end up spending Christmas in the Scottish Highlands. Two excellent choices of setting.

At first I didn't think I would warm to Gayle at all. However her story and the reason for how she acts makes you see her in a completely different light.

Ella, firstly I would like to say how much I loved her daughter Tab. She does not miss and trick and I love the things she comes out with. She sure knows how to help in mending the mess that is her family. Ella should be more proud of herself and her own achievements. I like her husband Michael too.

Samantha her business sounds much more appealing to me than her mum's. The mention of holidays at European Christmas markets just draws me to this woman. I love her conversation on the phone too with a guy she later discovers to be Brodie. It was a case of spark's flying from the first meeting.

The characters blend well together and that makes the story. It was a fast read and I highly recommend this one. I couldn't fault it.
Profile Image for Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader.
1,040 reviews121 followers
November 11, 2020
What a feel good book that turns out so well. I will be reading this each year now. I love the turmoil in the family and how the forgiveness plays out. Read this one this year you will be happy to forget about the world around you for a little while.
Profile Image for Amy.
1,799 reviews1,854 followers
October 9, 2020
Time for another holiday reading recommendation from me! I’m a huge Sarah Morgan fan and always seem to enjoy her books, but when it’s time to read a Christmas book from her, I get a little giddy. The Christmas Sisters is one of my absolute favorite holiday books so I had high expectations for this one. I’m so pleased to say that I can, once again recommend this one wholeheartedly.

This follows the three women in the Mitchell family, mom Gayle and her daughters Samantha and Ella. The daughters are estranged from their mother but are very close to each other so the dynamics in this small family are very interesting and are the crux of what the story is about. Christmas is the perfect time for a reconciliation, right? That’s what Gayle is hoping for though her girls are hesitant. The bulk of the story is told as they spend the holidays together in Scotland and wow does SM know how to bring a place to life. This one was so magical and I was really swept away by the storyline as well as the setting. There’s romance, an adorable kiddo, a gorgeous Scottish estate, a heartfelt plot and plenty of Christmas joy. I adored it and kind of wish I would’ve waited to read it in December because I think it would’ve been even more magical so add this to your December TBR!
Profile Image for Vivi220414.
377 reviews17 followers
December 30, 2021
Non è Natale senza un libro di Sarah Morgan, è tra le poche autrici che ti fa entrare pienamente nella magica atmosfera natalizia, sia per quanto riguarda i paesaggi che i sentimenti 😍...
Questa volta ci ha portato in Scozia tra renne e paesaggi innevati, dove una madre e due figlie che non si parlano da 5 anni, potranno chiarire le loro divergenze e ritornare a essere una famiglia, non mancherà una bellissima e romantica storia d'amore... W il Natale e la sua magica atmosfera ❤️...
Profile Image for Anna.
1,081 reviews88 followers
December 13, 2020
Sisters Samantha and Ella are close, bonding over their shared childhood and their love of Christmas. Samantha runs a successful travel agency specializing in dream Christmas vacations. Ella is happily married with a sweet four year old. Samantha is looking forward to spending time with her sister and her precious niece this Christmas.
They haven't spoken to their mother, Gayle, for five years after some harsh words caused a rift between them. Gayle runs a boutique consulting firm and has written a couple of best selling books. She is viewed as a mentor by many, but in a multitude of ways has failed her daughters. Her parenting approach was to make her girls ready for the tough real world offering little coddling or affection. When she suffers from a fall and ends up in the hospital, she begins to rethink her relationship with her daughters. Gayle asks for her daughters to include her in their Christmas celebration, something they are hesitant about. But the decision is made and off they go to the Scottish Highlands with hopes of a magical Christmas. Snowflakes, reindeer, a handsome Laird, and time together bring an opportunity for new beginnings and second chances.
A wonderful Christmas message about love, family, and finding forgiveness.
Profile Image for Susan Peterson.
1,494 reviews245 followers
October 6, 2020
I was swept away by this poignant story of reconciliation, forgiveness, and family—and Christmas was the perfect time to set this story. One More For Christmas is a bit deeper and emotional than many Christmas novels. Although there is a wonderful romance, and a beautiful setting in Scotland, there are many other layers to this story as well. The characters are complex and transitional, and all of them must open up their hearts and allow themselves to be vulnerable, taking a chance on love and willing to let go of the past.
Profile Image for Rachel Gilbey.
2,694 reviews495 followers
December 9, 2020
The queen of the Christmas romance has done it again, with another truly wonderful book.

This is a story with laugh out loud moments, aww moments, open mouthed in understanding when various secrets are revealed moments, and moments of self discovery.

It features three generations of the Mitchell family, although Tab at only 4 is the star of the show, utterly adorable and Sarah Morgan has perfected the way young children question literally everything, which Tab does to the extent that you almost feel sorry for Ella, her mum!

Tab though isn't one of the view points of the story but she is a star of any scene she's in. This is predominately the story of Gayle and Samantha, although Ella definitely get a fair few chapters, but due to her rather easy going nature, she doesn't feel as key as the other two.

Gayle has never been one for Christmas, and until she had an accident at work, hadn't seen her daughters in five years. So no one is more surprised that she would like to spend Christmas in Ella and Sam.

Sam has a delightful job and a way of describing various festive and winter holiday scenarios that you could picture yourself there instantly. And its due to Sam's job that they are spending Christmas in the Scottish Highlands, in a wonderfully picturesque setting.

The question though is just what caused the family rift and can it be fixed. Can Gayle really turn over a new leaft, and will Sam and Ella ever understand their mother.

And in Brodie's family who own the lodge in Scotland who are able to help the Mitchells in ways you may not expect from strangers, and Sam's first hilarious phone call with Brodie at the back of her mind the entire time, and you have all the elements of a brilliant story to discover.

Oh and if that isn't enough for you, there is a dog called bear, and various reindeer named after birds, in the hope they can fly! And how can you not love a book featuring reindeer, snow and a really heart-warming story.

I could easily see it as a Hallmark Christmas movie and it's yet another fabulous book by one of my favourite romance authors.

Thank you to HQ and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Profile Image for Bethany (Beautifully Bookish Bethany).
1,897 reviews3,117 followers
December 26, 2020
One More for Christmas is the perfect blend of angst, heart, and Christmas spirit: with family secrets, broken relationships, complex characters, and the chance for healing (and romance?) one Christmas in the Scottish highlands. Sarah Morgan always blows me away with her top notch character work and this is a quintessential example: characters who jump off the page and feel like real people, with all of their nuance, messiness, and capacity for hope.

This story follows a woman who is estranged from her adult daughters because she was always so hard on them and focused on building a successful career to the apparent exclusion of all else. But a serious accident makes her realize there is something missing and she reaches out to reconnect.

What's beautiful about this story is that it could have been a stereotype. It could have been this cold woman who was a Scrooge-like mother getting bashed for seeking career success. It could have been daughters who have done the exact opposite. But it's not. It's more complicated, messy, and nuanced- the way real life is. The mom has secrets and reasons for the choices she has made, one daughter has indeed decided to have a marriage and child and focus on that rather than work, but the other is the CEO of a company who treats employees with care and takes time for people she loves. It's balanced, and the cracks in the relationships aren't simple to fix, but it's a beautiful, festive story about love, family, and hope. A home run in my opinion.

Content/Trigger Warnings include talk of domestic violence (not on page)
Profile Image for Shaz Goodwin.
796 reviews130 followers
November 21, 2020

I’m not sure I have the words for how MAGNIFICENT this story is.

Sarah Morgan is the absolute best at writing about the nuances in relationships, whether that’s familial, friendships or romantic. Her settings are amazing too. And One More For Christmas is her best yet (I say that every time don’t I … but it’s true!).

I always feel emotionally connected to her characters and find it easy to relate to them, no matter age or male/female.

Although Gayle comes across as obnoxious and uncaring, that’s the mask she wears to protect herself. Toppling off the chair is her epiphany. My heart ached for her. I loved watching her transformation! Ella is the giving sister – I couldn’t wait for her to find her voice. Husband Michael and daughter Tab arriving at the hospital was a corker of a scene. Samantha is practical and taken on the mothering role, always quick to criticise and accuse. Afraid to get close, she holds everyone at arm’s length. The phone call mix up had me laughing so much. Soooo funny. I loved her travel company. Brodie and Kristie (brother and sister) are close, one pessimistic and the other optimistic, they balanced each other beautifully. Just as Ellen and Michael do.

Kinleven Lodge is the most perfect setting for Christmas. Sarah Morgan’s writing draws you in so you experience the sights, sounds and smells. I enjoyed being in the kitchen and LOVED the scenes at Brodie’s office.

I finished reading at the end of October and I’m still living off the buzz of feeling good. I’m still melting inside.

This is a story of a mother’s love for her children and the decisions made to protect them. And how that continues with their own relationships. It’s a time of healing and realisations. A time of three steps forward and two steps back. A time of hope. A time of love.

Highly recommended.
Profile Image for Antonella.
3,096 reviews418 followers
April 20, 2021
sadly, this was very boring!!
also, the entire premise of Gayle being a shitty parent because of her toxic and abusive relationship with the father of her daughters isn't getting any sympathy from me... zero!!
so she gets hit in the head and suddenly is " hey you have these two daughters and you haven't talked to them in five years"..one is even married and had a kid at that time..
I really disliked her and her pov..but then again other two pov's didn't intrigue me enough..my fav part was the married daughter storyline..

The Christmas Sisters is a book I loved by this author Go read that instead!!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Ulrica Kulturladyn.
565 reviews29 followers
January 7, 2022
Detta är en charmig julroman om familjerelationer, systerskap, julmys, mörker och romantik. Omringat av en idyllisk miljö med snö, renar och julförberedelser tvingas två familjer ta itu med gömda hemligheter och såriga erfarenheter.

Det är en perfekt julroman och ett fantastiskt mirakel att de tre kvinnorna efter fem år utan kontakt lyckas åka iväg till ett främmande land och skavas mot varandra. Kanske förutsägbart, men vägen dit är det intressanta.
Profile Image for Dana.
650 reviews9 followers
December 19, 2021
A wonderful Christmas read filled with family and second chances.
Profile Image for Books Just 4 Me.
303 reviews49 followers
January 3, 2021
A sweet holiday women’s fiction/ romance. A mother and her estranged daughters use the season and the beautiful background of Scotland to reconcile past hurts, misconceptions and forge a new relationship. I listened to the audio version. I really enjoyed the relationship Gayle formed with Mary. On the flip side, Ella’s daughter started to grate on me, just too much whining. Like I said there was romance involved too. There were a few steamy scenes to bring some heat to the cold nights 😉. Overall a pleasant holiday read.
Profile Image for Asheley T..
1,273 reviews119 followers
October 24, 2020
YES to every single holiday book written by Sarah Morgan!! She's very firmly my favorite for festive holiday stories with great character relationships. This story reminds me of a cross between Sleigh Bells in the Snow and A Wedding in December, both of which are previous holiday titles by Ms. Morgan.

This time the story features Gayle and her two grown daughters, Samantha and Ella. Gayle has been estranged from her daughters for the last few years. This year is different, though: they'll all be spending Christmas together for the first time since the girls were young. Samantha's job is what has allowed for this holiday spent together. She owns a company that specializes in finding luxury vacations for wealthy families. Since she has to go check out the location of this resort in rural Scotland, the entire family is tagging along to try out the amenities offered on the property.

Ok, first of all: Ms. Morgan's settings are fantastic. Top notch, every time. This story is set at a family's private-estate-turned-resort up in a snowy, forested, sort-of remote place in Scotland. I loved the scenes out in the forest when the characters found their very own perfect Christmas tree. And all of the snow made the book feel very wintry and festive. I never have snow at my house, so I really love snowy settings.

I felt surprisingly connected to Gayle and her daughters because of some awkward, complicated relationships within my own family. The feelings that Samantha and Ella felt were plausible and felt very real, so the hard work that they all had to put in to move beyond their estrangement was something that I could totally appreciate. Even while the family dynamics were at play, there is a sweet relationship that develops in the story and I loved it. The romance worked really well to break up some of the more serious family scenes scattered throughout the story.

I adored the secondary characters too: the family that owns the property is written so perfectly. The matriarch of that family, Mary, is precious.

Sarah Morgan's holiday stories are literally the thing that I look forward to most about Christmas. I know that she will always deliver stories full of heart and warmth, full of the Christmas season. Her holiday stories are 100% comfort reads for me and I'm always impatient for her next story to release. ALSO: her holiday stories are the books that I reread most in my life.

Thanks to Harlequin and NetGalley for sending me a copy of this book so I can review it here for you guys. These thoughts are my own!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 926 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.