Start by marking “Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)

Wicked As You Wish

(A Hundred Names for Magic #1)

Many years ago, the magical Kingdom of Avalon was left desolate and encased in ice when the evil Snow Queen waged war on the powerful country. Its former citizens are now refugees in a world mostly devoid of magic. Which is why the crown prince and his protectors are stuck inArizona.
Prince Alexei, the sole survivor of the Avalon royal family, is in hiding in a town so
Paperback, Advanced Readers Edition, 368 pages
Published (first published March 3rd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked As You Wish, please sign up.
Rin Chupeco A tentative date is 2020. Some very new and happy announcements this month, hopefully!
Rin Chupeco Eep. I actually didn't know that this planned book had already found its way to Goodreads until you asked this question! As of today (10/13/2014) -

…more

1.) no publisher has seen this manuscript;
2.) not even my agent has read this;
3.) because I am working on revisions, there is no final version

I am very grateful that people seem to like this book, and are adding it to their to-read pile, and I thank whoever it was that added it to GR. But there are no plans for this book just yet, given the points mentioned above!

I'll be announcing any new updates on my blog or on my Twitter account. It's an odd, whimsical manuscript that needs a lot of mind wrestling to get right (hence the constant revisions), and very different from my horror books. It's one I am hoping to share with you guys soon!(less)

Start your review of Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oh no! I havent pushed the dnf button for any book for a long time! But I cannot go on however I tried sooooo hard!
I gave up. Im at page 125 and I listen my inner voice kept screaming me; Put the book down! Nice and slowly! So I did as Im told! I raised my hands to the air and surrendered!

I did my best to be patient! I uncounted sheep and drank triple shot espressos at the night time to focus on the story. (I sacrificed a great bottle of wine during my read which gives me more inner screams.
Lola
This is a did not finish from me.

The world building is so confusing. I can keep on reading and reading but I dont understand more. Actually, I understand less. Because if from the beginning youre not eased into the magic system and the different aspects that constitute the fantasy world, chances are youre going to be so confused that youre going to compensate by focusing on the characters more than the world around them.

But if, as is the case here, the charactersmain and secondaryare
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
ARC from December FairyLoot

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
sarah xoxo
I should have loved this.

A world that combines every single fairytale into one. A large cast of characters. Political intrigue. Filipino culture.

so why oh why did this disappoint?

the summary
In a world much like our own, but with a fantastical twist- the Royal States of America are joined by Wonderland, Neverland and Avalon. Their histories are intertwined with our own, creating an interesting political landscape and blend of cultures. Tala is a young girl with a curse of repelling and
Rin Chupeco
May 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
EDIT: for everything you might like to know about WICKED AS YOU WISH, a thread: https://twitter.com/RinChupeco/status...

Join the street team: https://t.co/BdYEVFWpwL

---------------------------

This was the first book I'd ever written, shelved way back in 2010 because it wasn't "marketable", according to the feedback that I'd believed then.

Except every book I'd published since wasn't really marketable either. THE GIRL FROM THE WELL wasn't marketable because "horror didn't sell". THE BONE WITCH
Hollis
I honestly try not to let other reviews and ratings affect me prior to diving into a book but unfortunately this one was definitely a victim of me doing a whole lot of side-eye as the GR rating went down, down, down in the weeks leading up to release (and, as of writing this review, there's still three weeks to go..). I stayed away from reviews for the most part but I went into this with concerns not only due to the rating but also after seeing a few DNFs pop up in my feed.

Suffice it to say, I
Umairah | Sereadipity
Plot: 3.5/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5

Wicked As You Wish was a tale of family, friendship and a fight for freedom that was fun and full of creativity. The start of the book was very full on with a lot of information to process but it really is worth sticking with until the end.

It was set in a world similar to ours only there was the Royal States of America and a few extra countries: Wonderland, Avalon and Neverland, not to mention an entirely different history inspired by fairy tales such as
Sahitya
Its probably more of a 2.5 but Im rounding it up because of a good ending.

Id been rejected for this ARC so many times that I thought I would have to wait a long time after the release to get it from the library. But then I got selected for Rins street team and got the advance copy and I cant tell you how ecstatic I was. But after finishing the book, my enthusiasm has dulled a little.

The author has written at length on twitter about what this book means to her and why she wrote it, particularly
Boston
Dnf at 20%. Unfortunately Im not as interested in this as I thought I was and the world was a bit hard to wrap my head around. ...more
Divine
THANKS TO THIS I NOW HAVE A 2020 MUST HAVE SHELF THIS EARLY. AHHHHHHHH FINALLY THE FILIPINO FANTASY REP I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR.
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
You know how when you start a new job and they sit you down and force you to watch a cheesy, outdated orientation video that is equal parts corporate propaganda, exposition spouting, and a whole lotta cringe? That's kinda what this whole book felt like.

There is not much I have to say about this. It was a blend of modern times and mythical folklore but it took the worst parts of both. The interpretation of nostalgic stories like Snow White and Robin Hood felt juvenile, overly animated, and
Natalie ♡
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
(Im not in the mood to write a detailed review, so these are just my thoughts of the book overall)

This book had such an interesting concept, but it was just so confusing. I never really understood, how or what is happening. The world building was confusing too and sometimes it felt like info-dumping. Also, I didnt really care for any of the characters or their relationships. However, I liked the writing and the pop culture references.
Overall, this book was a confusing, but enjoyable mess.
Shealea
I don't know where to begin, but I swear, a positively glowing review will eventually be available on this little space.

For the time being, all I have to say is: With its beautiful cast of courageous (and occasionally whimsical) Filipino characters and clever fairytale references, Wicked As You Wish is a precious book that means so, so much to me. Please, please pick this one up!

Kristi
Wicked as you Wish by Rin Chupeco is a bridge apart from her past books that Ive read; it doesnt carry the same feeling of darkness that The Girl from the Well or The Bone Witch series does but I found it to be just as compelling. Although it took a little time for me to get in to the story, Im glad I stuck with it.

Prince Alexei of Avalon is new to Arizona in the Royal States of America and is living undercover since the Snow Queen encased his Kingdom in ice. Tala has the ability negate or to
Lance
"'Just because you've never been to the Philippines doesn't mean that their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean you don't have their mountains in your eyes. It's not where we are, it's who we are. You'll always be both a Makiling and a Warnock, and always a Filipina. Never forget that.'"

4.5 Stars. Wicked as You Wish is an entirely different beast than Rin Chupecos previous work, but still contains the hallmarks
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)

Beatrice in Bookland
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ page 110

Honestly one of the worst books I've ever tried to read lol.
Shalini
I like fairy tales and mythology in an urban setting. Hence I loved the concept of this story. I felt as if I were binging on a television series where each chapter, with a humorous heading, felt like an episode.

Tala negated spells. Prince Alexei of Avalon was in hiding after the war with Snow Queen which caused his kingdom to freeze. The Snow Queen too had disappeared. But the appearance of the firebird at Talas place changed the dynamics of the equation. Now Alex, Tala, and the rest had to go
Fanna
Consider reading this review over on my blog!

March 2, 2020:

➝ Sum it up in points!

✔ Filipina, Chinese, Japanese, Latino characters (racial diversity)
✔ modern-day fantasy setting
✔ gay main character along with queer side characters (sexual diversity)
✔ fantastical creatures and warrior traditions
✔ squad comes together in this folklore-inspired retelling

Wicked As You Wish is wickedly determined to make the readers fall in love with every character on the right side with the determination, magical
Yna the Mood Reader
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
First of all, let me just say that I am at a loss for words after reading this book. As a Filipino, I have accepted the fact that the chance of being represented in books and films are close to none. This book proved me wrong and gave me so much hope. You might look at this as a slight bias on the way I see the totality of the book, but I actually enjoyed reading this one.

I have 2 books of Rin Chupeco on my TBR mountain that I have not read yet, which means that this is my first time to fully
Alexa
3.5 stars, really, because I had a lot of fun reading this one! Chupeco has thrown together a hodge podge of mythology and fairy tales and the modern day into one fun tale that reads sort of like Percy Jackson, the TV show Once Upon a Time with a dash of Filipino culture too.
Cindee
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2020-tbr
I really loved this book with its mixed bunch of things from all kinds of fairy tales folk tales and legends it made for a very interesting story. I really loved the characters the group of Tala,Alex,Loki,Zoe,Ken,West,Nya and Cole. They made for an interesting and eclectic group of characters a prince in hiding a girl that can negate magic,and a group of the most interesting characters I have ever read about a girl who wants to be more and a couple of very complicated and complex characters. I ...more
Ava
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WICKED AS YOU WISH reminds me of a patchwork quilt; its made up of so many pieces, but it smells like your childhood and brings a certain sense of comfort as youre reading. This book is about a young girl named Tala, whose family curse is to negate the effects of magic, and she and her family are in charge of putting an exiled prince back on his throne. The world Tala lives in is familiar and rich with Filippino influences, and its clear that our history remains the same -- but all of your ...more
Ally
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was so disappointing in a lot of ways. For example, these lines: "Represent?"
Oh, is that not the customary greeting in America? Hom-mies, to represent? Sup, Gee cheese doodles? To th-throw ones hands in the air and wave them in clockwise or counterclockwise motions to express nuh-nonchalance?

That was a real line in this book. I couldn't make that up. I don't know what happened with this book- I've read two of Rin Chupeco's other books and really enjoyed them, so I'm not sure what happened
ikram
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

💌 full review can also be found on my blog!

Sets in alternate universe where magic exists (and weaponized), Wicked as You Wish is deeply influenced by various fairytales, especially Filipino folklores. Our main character, Tala, is a descendant of infamous Maria Makiling, a protector of Mount Makiling in Filipino folklore. Not only that, other fairytales character like Rapunzel and Robin Hoodto name a feware mentioned as historical figure
Guylou (Two Dogs and a Book)
Wicked As You Wish

I read this book while I was on holiday. I loved Rin Chupecos series entitled The Bone Witch and I was looking forward to her dark writing style in this new series and did not find it. I tried to find an anchor in the story and was unable to get in it. I love how she described the Filipino way of life of her main character; that made me smile. I have a few friends from the Philippines and recognised their sense of community in the story. Unfortunately, the story and the characters sounded
Rain
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i don't have enough words as to how happy i am that this book features so much about the filipino culture. MY FAVORITE PINOY FOODS. VIDEOKE. EATING WITH YOUR HANDS. we love to see the representation.

HONORED TO BE PART OF THE PH CHAPTER OF THE ORDER OF THE BANDERSNATCH TOO. (pre-order this book!!!)

i just didn't give this book five stars because i think there were a lot of confusing parts in the story. there were just too many things to grasp like the modern fantasy world, the politics and the
Andrea
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER.

Tala Warnock has never had use for magic. As a Makiling, she's always been able to negate spells, typically by accident. When she meets Alex, the prince in exile of Avalon, they become immediate friends. As the Royal States of America becomes increasingly against magic, an old enemy rises, and a firebird appears, Tala & Alex will have to rely on each other much more than they ever thought they would need to. If they wish to unfreeze Avalon from it's icy imprisonment
Dini Kamayana
3.5 stars rounded up because I genuinely enjoyed this story! I've never read anything by Chupeco before Wicked As You Wish so I didn't know what to expect but I can say for sure that it wasn't what I got--and I don't mean that in a bad way! I've been trying to think if I've ever read anything like this before and I honestly can't say that I have. It definitely gets points for uniqueness! Full RTC.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Eight Will Fall
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Belle Révolte
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Mermaid Moon
  • Spellhacker
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Night Spinner (Night Spinner, #1)
  • Witches of Ash and Ruin
  • All the Pretty Things
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Tigers, Not Daughters
For updates, events, and new releases, sign up for her newsletter at http://www.rinchupeco.com/newsletter Unfortunately, I cannot accept friend requests at this time - Amazon detects these friends' lists on Goodreads and prevents the people on them from leaving book reviews!

------------------------

Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus.

A Hundred Names for Magic (2 books)
  • Untitled (A Hundred Names for Magic, #2)

Articles featuring this book

While we usually think of fall and Halloween as the time for spooky books, witchy teens are undeniably having a major moment right now. No fewer...
“People who don’t look and act like you is what you hate. Every other excuse is only a pretense.” 0 likes
“If I were a monster, I would have let you drown back in the swamps.”

“And that’s the difference between us. You think one act of kindness, even self-serving, is enough to not make you one.”
0 likes