Start by marking “The Mersey Estuary: A Travel Guide” as Want to Read:
The Mersey Estuary: A Travel Guide

The Mersey Estuary: A Travel Guide

Stretching for around thirty miles to the coast, the Mersey Estuary is perhaps best known for Liverpool’s spectacular waterfront and the Mersey Ferry. But there are many other hidden gems along its shores, including waterside parks, sandy beaches and poignant reminders of the days of steamships and sail.

The Mersey Estuary: A Travel Guide provides suggestions for places to
Published March 28th 2020 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Mersey Estuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mersey Estuary

Start your review of The Mersey Estuary: A Travel Guide
Stephen
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
thanks to netgalley and the publishers for a free copy in return for an open and honest review.

informative and interesting guide to the Mersey estuary with cycling and walking routes to occupy yourself with historical and natural history notes as well to get the full picture of the Mersey.
Lynn Brown
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Liverpool and have visited several times for work and pleasure, often going to and from Birkenhead. When walking around Liverpool I always use the Radio City Tower as my identifier of where I am, as you can see it from most places. But I would love to go further afield, but where and how?

This is where this book comes in as an invaluable guide to not only Liverpool but the surrounding area too. The book contains walking and cycling routes with a guide to what events are on each year and th
Theediscerning
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A decent guide to the whole area alongside the Mersey estuary, which managed to bring back fond memories of Liverpool city centre, "Another Place" and more for me. It's very nice pictorially, reminding anyone of the diverse pleasures to be had in the area (although to my disappointment it didn't detour round to Meols and a certain famous phone box). I did think it a little woolly, however, in the text – the general information bit promised us too often we'd see something in the future, and was a ...more
The Literary Shed
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

For so many of us a good travel guide is worth its weight in gold, especially now on this, 5 November, the first day of Lockdown Mark II. At times like these, when we’re physically restricted by circumstances beyond our control, we need to be able to escape, even if it’s just in our imagination. And England, with its vibrant cities and beautiful landscape, diverse cultures, eccentricities, colourful history, is as wonderful a place to go to as any. So, it’s with pleasure that I’m reviewing Kevin
Sharon
I loved the look of this book! I’ve recently visited New Brighton, across the water from the City Centre, and found the area really interesting. When I saw this book, I just knew it was going to be full of information for tourists and locals alike! It’s a lot more of a thicker book that what I thought it was going to be, coming in at 250 pages. It is split into two different parts, with sections in each of them. The first part is Places to Visit and covers the Lower Estuary (for Liverpool area a ...more
Stacey Woods
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My husband’s family is from Liverpool, so it’s the place that I know perhaps a little better than others, but still there was plenty in this guide to learn and interesting places to bookmark and visit when Covid-19 allows!

Although when you mention the Mersey, people’s minds turn to Liverpool and the famous ferry, the whole course of the Mersey features ancient and modern historical sites that are worth seeking out and Kevin Sene has selected the best to view via walking and cycling routes in the
Annie
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Mersey Estuary is a travel guide to the area by Kevin Sene. Released 28th April 2020 by Matador, it's 256 pages and available in ebook format (other editions available in other formats). It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

This is a good general guide to the area with a richly varied collection of
Michelle Lamude
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Owning a motorhome means I’m always on the look out for interesting travel guides for future road trips around the UK.
The Mersey Estuary Travel Guide starts by introducing the Mersey area. With recommendations on the best times to visit, getting around and lots of safety advice (which I loved being a risk assessor sort of person:-).

The Intro section has useful themed listings to help you find points of interest. I think this is a real time saver when planning a trip. The listed themes included
D L
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgally
The first thing to say about The Mersey Estuary: A Travel Guide is I live on the Mersey in an area mentioned in the book and I had no idea about a lot of the things in this book. It is well written and has an abundance of information split into sections on places to visit along the Mersey, the natural environment, the history of the estuary, the maritime connections and wildlife.
Amongst all of this information and great photography, Kevin Sene provides walking and cycling routes throughout Mers
Helen Gee
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A very detailed and informative guide about what the Mersey Estuary has to offer. This book caught my eye because I lived in the area for over 20 years and I was interested to see what Kevin Sene had to offer up in this traveller guide.

The book was filled with rich history of the area, significant maritime information, information about walk and cycle routes and other places of interest (some of which I didn't even know existed!)

I really enjoyed the chapter about Tidal Bores in the Mersey Estuar

• Moonlight Over Studland Bay
  • Cows Can't Jump
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World
  • The Nesting
  • The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #7; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • Faye, Faraway
  • The Shadowy Third: Love, Letters, and Elizabeth Bowen
  • Hollow in the Land
  • In SatNav We Trust
  • When Mr. Dog Bites
Hi, I'm a scientist and writer with a love of mountains, estuaries and the coast who enjoys getting off the beaten track.

I lived close to the Mersey Estuary for many years and would often go cycling or jogging along its shores, discovering many lesser known sights along the way.

As a firm believer that it's possible to have great adventures close to home, I decided to write a guidebook, and The M

News & Interviews