Start by marking “The Woman He Loved” as Want to Read:
The Woman He Loved

The Woman He Loved

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Front cover as a piece of tape over a tear. Writing on inside front cover page. Some edge wear and shelf rubbing. Stamp on top edge and back cover has a bottom edge bend. No other marks than stated and an overall good copy. Ships very quickly and packaged carefuly!
Published January 2nd 1980 by Signet (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman He Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman He Loved

SoManyBooks SoLittleTime (Aven Shore)
I lugged this little paperback around for at least five years before finally reading it. I was so curious about the scandalous story of the king who abdicated for a "commoner", oooooh! I hope it was accurate, as this book is now my entire knowledge of the affair. I liked the glimpse of the two of them that happens in The King's Speech movie. That characterization seems consistent with the book.
Lauren Stoolfire
Incredibly detailed biography of Wallis Simpson's life and her relationship with the Duke of Windsor. I didn't know half of the information presented here, especially everything that occurred after the abdication. What a fascinating look at this couple!
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
What a beautiful yet tragic love story. I have always wanted to learn more about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. So glad I found this book.
Very well written as it transport the reader through the separate then married life of Wallis and David Windsor. The author's research is remarkable and I enjoyed this book very, very much.
Katie Breece
Well-researched and well-written. This is a very detailed look at the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. It is an interesting story that I had not read about before and it seems like this book fills a gap in historical text about the royal family. As it was biographical it wasn't always the most exciting but it did always come across as authentic and gave an inside look into the man who gave up his throne for a woman and the woman he loved.
Jeri Johnson
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize when I picked this book up that this whole story was being played out at the time my grandmother arrived from Hungary. She learned English by reading the newspaper - and I'm sure she must have read every article about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. It was quite the scandal. I enjoyed reading about what life was like at that particular time. I probably enjoyed it more than the average reader would.
Victoria
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for 25cents at a thrift shop. I suspended reading a Ruth Rendell to read this. It is very well written. It held my interest throughout I felt it a balanced analysis of all the major characters in this drama. The title implies that it's about Wallis Simpson. It's just as much about the Duke of Windsor. I'm impressed with the way the author organized a wealth of material. Sometimes biographies are too detailed. This one is not. It's just right.
Linda
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
Lesley Koke DeWig
I found this book for $1.00 dollar used in a Small Washington town on a camping trip. I was like 15 and read it in about 6 days. Great love story
Steve
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few books that address the abdication of Edward VIII in 1936, but none from the perspective of Edward or Wallis Simpson. The other books were focused on Queen Mary, George VI, Elizabeth II, or another member of the Royal Family. Martin's book provides a thorough biography of Wallis as well as Edward. While I had a basic understanding of Wallis, this book filled in a lot of details about her childhood, first and second marriages, and ultimately her life as Duchess of Windsor. Co ...more
Lisa
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#115 of 120 books pledged to read during 2017
Caitlin
The Woman He Loved: The Story of the Duke & Duchess of Windsor by Ralph G. Martin (1975)
SuzAnne King
Definately the "story" of the century but probably not the "love story" of the century. Glosses over the truth a bit.
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
  • Victoria and Albert
  • The Flight Of The Romanovs: A Family Saga
  • Eleanor: The Years Alone
  • Queen Victoria
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
Ralph G. Martin was an American journalist who authored or co-authored about thirty books, including popular biographies of recent historical figures, among which, Jennie, a two-volume (1969 and 1971) study of Winston Churchill's American mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, became the most prominent bestseller. Other successful tomes focused on British royal romance (Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson in ...more
More about Ralph G. Martin...

Nonfiction Deals

• Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island
  • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe