Start by marking “Star Trek: Mere Anarchy” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Mere Anarchy

Star Trek: Mere Anarchy (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy #1-6)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A new six-part epic covering thirty years of Star Trek history, continuing with an adventure that takes place between The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan!
Published March 17th 2009 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Michael
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Originally published as a series of six novellas to celebrate the original series' 40th anniversary, "Mere Anarchy" is now collected as a single-volume, trade paperback release in anticipation of the upcoming reboot on the big screen. The six stories take place across the entire run of classic "Star Trek," from the early days of the original series to the movie-era continuity.

As I read the short novellas, I will offer up my thoughts on each one and then do one big "wrap-up" review once I've rea
Kristina
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
While the initial story is set out much like an episode, each subsequent story builds on what has gone before to give everything greater depth and realism. They cover myriad plot lines and involve different combinations of characters at different stages of their lives. It makes for fascinating stories.
Richard
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
uggh. why did i spend more than a week reading this drivel. To quote Bamber Gascoyne 'I've started so I'll finish' but it was painful. 2 stars.
Kenneth
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Of 7 authors, only 1 was a woman, and she's the only one to give the female character Uhura any real "screen time." I don't believe anyone involved in this anthology purposely tried to be misogynistic, but that absence of intent might actually make it worse. (As with so many of the TOS episodes, alien women get more lines and backstory than the human women, like Uhura and Chapel.)

Anyway, as for the work itself: I've read over 300 Star Trek books, and this does not stand out as one of the best.
Daniel Kukwa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
This is fantastic. Half a dozen different writers, all combining to produce one epic across decades, full of excitement, adventure, and emotional investment. This is what is possible when fanwank meshes with the skill of authors at top of their genre-writing game. This is also just the thing to give to a "Star Trek" rookie, in order to explain to them the magic of the series. Exceptional archetypal goodness.
Mark Oppenlander
Kate
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's taken me a little bit to get through (due to time constraints, not because the book is hard) but it was a well worth trip. Mere Anarchy takes six eBooks collected into one volume. Each novel takes place during a different time period in Star Trek history (from one of Kirk's first missions on the Enterprise to the first mission of his friends without him) and follows the saga of one planet. In this case Mestiko, which is quite close to the Klingons.

Mestiko is originally just a mission of Kir
Michael T Bradley
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I doubt I will bother finishing this sucker, so I'll go ahead & post reviews for the parts I read:

"Things Fall Apart" by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore - dull & repetitive. We get what the story is like ... four times in here. 'A pulsar is coming. Starfleet totally screws up, and the pulsar harms the planet.' There, done. Not terrible, but nearly skippable.

"The Center Cannot Hold" by Michael Barr. Much more entertaining, not bad, but there was no real "hook," I guess, and I found it baff
Mari
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
I learned that I like Star Trek just as much to read as to watch (which is to say ... meh). I got this as a cheapie book at Strand (a recurring theme for me I think), and it was a good few bucks spent. The writing is easy to read, as in probably middle school level. That made it perfect for travel reading when I was half listening for announcements or whatever. The book's size (six short books in one) made it less travel friendly, but I didn't have to worry about running out of reading material! ...more
Randy
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Originally published in 2006-7 as ebooks as part of the forty year celebration of Star Trek, they've been collected in a trade paperback(available as a Kindle bundle as well).

The six novellas cover all the eras of The Original Series starting just before the second pilot that introduced James Kirk and finishing up after the prelude to GENERATIONS where Kirk was thought killed.

Mestikos is a planet ravaged by a passing pulsar that nearly destroyed it and all it's people, those saved only by the ef
A
Sep 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The plot of this story was a lot like the Voyager pilot & their obligations to the Ocampa and I'm glad somebody turned the basic premise into a novel and really fleshed it out. It was a great idea in of itself, & there were a lot of interesting moral issues regarding the Prime Directive & how people felt about the decisions they had to make in positions of power. At times, the book probably put too much weight on realism in regards to the backlash from the payav against the Federatio ...more
Patrick Nichol
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific read for Star Trek fans, especially since it fills in the gaps during the entire 40-year history of the original crew.

Set against The U.S.S. Enterprise's connection to Mestiko, a planet devastated by a pulsar, Mere Anarchy is classic Trek at its finest.

This omnibus volume contains the entire ebook series that was launched during Star Trek's 40th anniversay in 2006.

Although the story's about Kirk and crew, the plot contains plenty to chew on.

Plot points covrer The Prime Directi
Lindsey Faye
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, print, own-copy
I never really thought of myself as a fan of Star Trek. In fact, I thought it was going to be very similar to Star Wars—which I do not like by the way—but I was very pleasantly surprised when I read this book. It was a lovely read and makes me very excited to see the new movie. And I must admit that the only reason why I really wanted to read it was because I've heard of this fandom through The Big Bang Theory. Which is also another favorite fandom of mine.
Jimyanni
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
This book was originally written as a series of e-books, each a novella by a different author, linked by a background plot and taking place over a number of years, each story occurring subsequent to the previous one. All of the stories are extremely well-written, handle the characters well and have excellent pacing. Well worth the read for any fan of the original series.
John
Jul 27, 2011 added it
Excellent classic trek! A six-part epic written to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the original TV show, each part of this work takes place at a different time in James T. Kirk's career, from having just assumed command of the Enterprise to shortly after the 6th and final ST film, "The Undiscovered Country". Very enjoyable reading!
Dave Tindall
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this. I liked the way that it spanned over decades so that you saw the planet slowly recover. the changes in the crew were really well done, it felt as if each different author knows the characters really well.
JoyfulK
Jul 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: why-bother
This book doesn't have the depth of characterization and world-building that I've encountered in other Star Trek novels. It was disappointingly thin. Trekkies: go read something by Duane. Non-Trekkies, move on.
Jd
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this entire miniseries. Mestiko was very interesting very well developed planet, with a fascinating culture of native beings. I really enjoyed the way the authors were able to weave the stories in throughout the entire TOS history.
Alicia
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoy enjoyed this series.
Michael Taylor
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-tos
An outstanding book and well worth the time to read. A vivid story that takes place over 40 years and how the lives of the members of the Enterprise crew are affected.
Aaron
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Basically six linked novellas spanning the TOS era. drags sometimes, but no real clunkers.
Judith Paterson
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting idea for story line - following an event and it's consequences over several decades and an aging and developing Enterprise crew.
William Omalley
Dec 26, 2014
Jamie Magruder
Mar 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • The Children of Kings
  • Vulcan's Heart
  • Mind Meld
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • From History's Shadow
  • Legacy
  • Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: Enterprise #12)
  • Ex Machina (Star Trek)
  • Seeds of Rage (Star Trek: Errand of Fury #1)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • The Rings of Time
  • Dawn of the Eagles (Star Trek: Terok Nor, #3)
  • Cast No Shadow (Star Trek)
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)

Star Trek: Mere Anarchy (6 books)
  • Things Fall Apart (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy #1)
  • The Centre Cannot Hold (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy #2)
  • Shadows of the Indignant (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy, #3)
  • The Darkness Drops Again (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy, #4)
  • The Blood-Dimmed Tide (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy #5)
  • Its Hour Come Round (Star Trek: Mere Anarchy #6)