Start by marking “The Nativity Story” as Want to Read:
The Nativity Story

The Nativity Story

Based on the major motion picture, "The Nativity Story" is the very human, very dramatic, and uniquely inspiring saga of a journey of faith. Best-selling author Angie Hunt, who most recently wrote "Magdalene, " a historical fiction novel of the story of Mary Magdalene that was tied to "The Da Vinci Code" movie, now focuses on Mary, the mother of Jesus. She has adapted the ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Nativity Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nativity Story

Start your review of The Nativity Story
Cindy Blue
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angela did a wonderful job writing this story. I didn't know what to expect when I started to read it. Being a Christian I knew the story of Mary and Joseph..But Angela wrote it in such a "sweet" way. "Joseph" going from door to door asking for help to deliver his child. Even though I knew this from the Bible she just worte it in a way that brought it more to "real life" today. I would recommend it to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warren Matthews
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book was unprecedentedly sentimental to me. The story about the birth of Jesus Christ is the most beautiful story imaginable; Mary and Joseph, making their way to the lovely holy village of Bethlehem, the Three Wise Men following the stars, and of course the Nativity.
5 stars for the incredible amount of detail in the book, and the way it was written.
Great style of writing, great story.
I would recommend it to anyone including atheists like myself.

I will be watching the movie later.
Joy Gerbode
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderfully written and portrays the story of the birth of our Savior as accurately as possible from the Bible account, embellished with probably details, considering the time and place. Filled with the wonder of the coming of Christ, the horrors of life in poverty in Israel at the time, and the hope that the newborn Baby brought, not only to Israel, but to all mankind, this is a book to cherish over and over again. I think it might well become a new tradition, as I re-read it each ...more
Jeni Enjaian
The book stayed on the surface, to be expected of the novelization of a movie based on the most famous story in the Bible. I have read much better accounts, accounts that don't just skate from vignette to vignette. Hunt did not make any terrible literary errors but she did not rise above average to create a captivating narrative. This book did not survive round two of the purge of my personal collection.
Cheryl Rowland
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Angela Hunt's writing and although she follow the traditional line that the Magi were there right after Jesus was born it doesn't detract from the story. I have read other authors who state that the Magi didn't arrive until Jesus was two years old. This book was used for the screenplay for the movie "The Nativity Story."
Ehtisham Raza
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think it explains the story of Mary and Joseph and the events leading up to the birth of Jesus beautifully. The amount of datails and research done for it are incredible.
I am planning on watching the movie it is based on.
Val
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-fiction
Even though I know this story really well and I've seen the movie, I was still curious to see what would happen. So well written.
Tonya Lucas
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book of Mary Joseph, and our Savior Jesus Christ. Very moving! Truly inspiring and superb.
Philippa
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A gentle and beautiful read.
Marthe
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
As a Christian and as a reader in general, I believe that this book is a book it’s hard to review. This is the story about Jesus Christ’s and the story before Mary met the angel. It’s based on the motion picture which again is based on the Biblical story. The book includes pictures from the production of the movie as well, which are enjoyable to look at.

We follow Mary and how her life is changed when she is told to marry Joseph and when an angel comes with the message that she will bear The New
Serena
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
It was... ok. I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I remember it as being wonderful--the book fell a bit short, though. Although I generally enjoy fictionalizations of biblical stories (i.e. the AD Chronicles by Bodie and Brock Thoene), this book seemed a bit too personal. Somehow it crossed a line where the movie didn't. I think I need to see the movie again.

Mary's character had quite a bit of depth to her, but Joseph's character was disappointingly lacking. The plot also felt a bit rushed
Beth
Nov 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
I’ve been meaning to go back to this author for awhile (I also read Uncharted); I really enjoyed her writing style — chances were good I’d enjoy her other books.

Well, The Nativity Story definitely delivered there. As far as plot twists go, there won’t be any (everybody knows the basics, right? Plus, I guess this is an adaptation from the film from a year or two ago … though I never saw it). Nevertheless, it was refreshing to deeper contemplate the story. I especially enjoyed reading about Joseph
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story and what I really liked was giving Mary's mother and father a part in this history and to give the character of Joseph as a person more depth and strength of the man. Although it talks of a film it is not one I had seen so can't talk on it. I can say the depth of Joseph's love for Mary and his desire to shelter and care for the Christ child was impressive though tout the book including his break with tradition when they were going to Jerusalem to register for the ...more
Mr
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Amy Brantner, 86 pages. This book has pretty photographs, and quotes from the bible. It is obviously about the Christmas story. It tells the story of the birth of Jesus, it also has descriptions and pictures of all the people who played a part in that event, (Mary, Joseph, the Wise Men, etc.) I would recommend this book to anyone 9 years old and older. This is because some of the words that are used are hard to understand, (anguish, ancestral.) Even I, an 11 year old,had trouble understanding ...more
Kathleen Dixon
This is very lightweight. I didn't see the movie - it didn't appeal to me as I didn't think it was going to say anything that hadn't already been said. This book verifies that. It's quite sweet, but unmemorable.
Kristy
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version during my work commute. This is a story we all know but the journey of Mary & Joseph impacts me more and more as I mature. It becomes more and more powerful each time I hear it.
Luann
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I was surprised that it made some deviations from the book...e.g. Joseph previously lived with his family and his father was the one who arranged the betrothal. But it was a good look deeper into emotions and historic details that could not be included in the movie.
Michelle
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read it in German (Es begab sich aber zu der Zeit). I thought this was a great way to think about the Nativity more personally, but there were really some things that I felt took way too many liberties. The writing wasn't that great and the sections on the wise men were kind of ridiculous.
Jerry Kolwinska
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very good narrative of the birth of Christ. Angela Hunt makes good use of the biblical narrative to create very real characters with whom one can empathize. Definitely one I would recommend.
Pitterpat
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An interesting intrepretation of what the real Christmas story would have been like. A wonderful Christmas read.
Grace
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the story of Jesus's Birth. What an awesome God we have.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Novelization of the nativity story/movie. Enlightening and moving.
Susan Peterson
Dec 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want to learn more about Bible times
I actually liked this novelization better than the movie (of the same name). The storyline is basically the same as that of the movie (the Christmas story), and it is well written.
Jose
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I lost this book at a hotel...this made me feel sad since it was just really good. I sometimes don't like film adaptations but this one was pretty good :)
Lawrence
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading it around Christmas, the importance of the story was at the front of my mind. Just a middle of the road telling of it.
Kim
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this at Christmas, it was nice to read the story from Mary's prospective.
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Finished it by Epiphany! I read it every Christmas.
2018 update: didn't finish it until after Epiphany. I still love it!
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times as a Christmas tradition. I love reading about the Nativity Story in detail as a novel. So wonderful to identify with Mary and Joseph.
Ginny
Jul 23, 2008 is currently reading it
Liked the movie--hopefully the book is just as or more powerful.
Betsy Wiser
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good adaptation of the Christmas story. We read and discussed in our inspirational book group.

• Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
  • George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution
  • Empires of the Sea: The Final Battle for the Mediterranean, 1521-1580
  • Till We Have Faces
  • An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2)
  • The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels
  • Unafraid: Mary (Lineage of Grace, #5)
  • The Scarlet Thread
  • A Pilgrim Who Made Progress: The Life Story of John Bunyan
  • New Birth or Rebirth?: Jesus Talks with Krishna (Great Conversations)
  • The Lotus and the Cross: Jesus Talks with Buddha
  • Golden Child
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
  • A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in