Start by marking “Breaking the Good Mom Myth: Every Modern Mom's Guide to Getting Past Perfection, Regaining Sanity, and Raising Great Kids” as Want to Read:

Within each new mother lives an ideal that like the perfect house and husband is doomed to fall short. The "good mother myth" an ideal that parents create for themselves says psychotherapist and parent coach Alyson Sch fer, is the sort of widely held misconception that ultimately sabotages people's efforts at becoming the best parents they can be. In her eye-opening accoun ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Good Mom Myth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Good Mom Myth

Start your review of Breaking the Good Mom Myth: Every Modern Mom's Guide to Getting Past Perfection, Regaining Sanity, and Raising Great Kids
Alexandra
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book that I wish I had read much earlier! In fact, I would recommend giving it as a baby shower gift! This book helps dissolve all of the myths of modern motherhood that plague my generation. I was hooked by the first chapter on self-care. It also talks about not forgetting about your marriage, how to respectfully discipline, and not having to always play with your child. Lots of great topics!
Marianne
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, parenting-books
This was a great book that challenges the way we think about Motherhood and the Myths that we have come to believe makes one person a better mother than the other. Lots of simple advice with scenarios as proof and explanation. I have definitely adopted some methods of Democratic Discipline and I think that this book has really changed the way I parent the girls. This is also a book that I would consider purchasing.
Kathy
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this. It came off as smug and overly-simplistic, instead.
Alexander
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, non-fiction
Полезни наблюдения над действията на децата и начините да заобиколим борбата за власт и изнудването. Много полезни и реалистични примери. Не засяга много теми 3-4 но са добре и подробно описани. Успокояващо е за търсещите всичко най-добро за децата си. Напомня ми на "Бабати все ... е ползвала/правила."
Милена
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it
„Ако спрете и се замислите, ще се уверите, че идеите за „добрата майка“ са също толкова нелепи, колкото куклата Барби е еталон за красота.“

Винаги съм била скептично настроена към селф-хелп литературата. Не ме привличат книги, които ни учат как да бъдем по-добри, по-самоуверени, по-по-най. Не изпитвам нужда да ги чета, колкото и самоуверено да звучи това. Просто съм от типа хора „проба-грешка“, а не от онези, които се учат как стават нещата само на теория и после я се опитат да следват съветите
Lee-Ann Sleegers
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, probably because it was written by a mom and she admits she sometimes has to regroup. I've read a number of parenting books over the last four years and this is by far one of the better ones. It tackles real life situations, giving you alternatives to what current society expects. The solutions offered when reviewed carefully are good old common sense and initially leave you wondering "why didn't I think of that?" My biggest take away was that I don't need to be like ...more
Bird
This book was ok but nothing earth shattering. I've never felt competitive with other moms and or concerned that other parents didn't think I was as on top of everything as I should be, so maybe I'm not the target audience. It was a good reminder to adjust my expectations and appreciate the chaos, though.
Sarah Lopez
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any mom in-training
This is light-hearted read at how to avoid trying to be "the perfect mom". The author reminds the reader many times that there is no such thing! It's a quick one with lots of comical real life examples.
Stephanie
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once again, AWESOME... a fair amount of re-hashing from Honey I Wrecked the Kids (or vice-versa depending on which came first) but it's such good information and advice I don't mind hearing it over and over...
Kelly Watson
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Author is bang on with her advice about losing the part of motherhood that is less about the kids and more about our image of ourselves. Every mom should read this!
Robin
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I got so many great tips from it, and I plan to implement a lot of what Schafer suggested. Now if only I could get my husband to read it too so we could be on the same page.
Ricka
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for the mom who believes she needs to be perfect and if her kids are even a little out of line then she isn't!
Harmony
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Really liked the book.... I think it is a must read! Made me think a little more about the way I do things and how it influences my daughter. It helped me to not feel so overwhelmed.
Suzy
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as good as Honey I Wrecked the Kids, but still awesome!
Adam Wolf
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, but not as much as Ain't Misbehavin'. I am not a mom, and that might be part of it. Everything after chapter 4 was gold.
Monica
I thought that the theory underpinning this was really solid, but the writing was not good. Makes me want to read better books by other Adlerians.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2010 added it
did finish it...but the parts I did read, were great advice. One day I will pick it back up and finish it. Very realistic view of raising kids.
Ros
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
A lot of the applicable parenting advice was much better formulated in her earlier books (or in Siblings Without Rivalry), and a lot of the "take time for yourself/your relationship" advice was very slim on practical and applicable tips for actually achieving that.
Mariana
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Проста и ясна книга. Интересни идеи.
Doroti
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Изненадващо полезна информация и тук-таме съвети.
toni daphne jones
Belovedvagrant
Feb 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Screw It, Let's Do It: Lessons In Life
  • Четиринайсет Ванилии и половина (Феята от захарницата 2)
  • Феята от захарницата
  • Принцесешки истории и други необикновени случки
  • Самостоятельный ребенок, или Как стать "ленивой мамой"
  • Да оцелееш като родител
  • НЛП. Техники россыпью
  • Сливовиц
  • Приятелят на Дядо Коледа
  • Депресията ме обича
  • Падение и спасение: изповедта на една хероинова наркоманка
  • Folk med ångest
  • Шантавия до шия
  • Чудните дела на съдията Бао. Том 2
  • How Children Learn
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • Чудото Монтесори или учение без мъчение и възпитание без оценки, награди и наказания