Start by marking “The Road Trip (The Road Trip, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Road Trip (The Road Trip, #1)

The Road Trip (The Road Trip, #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  66,317 ratings  ·  7,982 reviews
Addie and her sister are about to embark on an epic road trip to a friend's wedding in the north of Scotland. The playlist is all planned and the snacks are packed.

But, not long after setting off, a car slams into the back of theirs. The driver is none other than Addie's ex, Dylan, who she's avoided since their traumatic break-up two years earlier.

Dylan and his best mate a
Published April 29th 2021 by Quercus (first published April 17th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about The Road Trip, please sign up.
Kayleen Not very explicit. We hear more about expressing breast milk than much of the sex, but it is there. No "turgid throbbing manhood" or "heaving bosoms" …moreNot very explicit. We hear more about expressing breast milk than much of the sex, but it is there. No "turgid throbbing manhood" or "heaving bosoms" but they are a close group with a lot of free love. Lots of what could be viewed as loose morals...sharing sexual partners, lots of drinking and drugs. Lots of talking about sex, even if you don't have a front row seat in the bedroom (or roadside, or back seat, or office, or ...)(less)

·  66,317 ratings  ·  7,982 reviews

Start your review of The Road Trip (The Road Trip, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! A trip to a wedding trapped in a car with your over protective sister, a random guy you found on Facebook, your ex who broke your heart into pieces and his bestie who did everything in his power to force two of you break up!
Good luck Addie!

Did you like the idea of ex lovers- new enemies’ longest road trip with one of the most disturbing chaperones! Oh, this is just the beginning! Things will get messier! I can guarantee that!

This will be longest trip of yours filled with grudge, resentme
Tina
This is a Romance/Women's Fiction/Chick-Lit. I have loved the other two books I read by Beth O'Leary, so I had high hopes for this one. I am sad to say I really did not enjoy this book, but I did finish the book. If I did not have an ARC of this book I would have DNF this book. I was bored while reading most of this book, but there was a few funny parts that made me laugh. I have to say the jumps in the time lines in this book drove me crazy, and I also felt that some of the jumps from Now time ...more
jessica
Jun 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
forced proximity + second chance = a great trope combination

although i loved the usage of these tropes for flirtatiousness, this is definitely much heavier than the authors previous books. there are a lot of attempts at making it lighthearted and fun, but wow. theres quite a bit of serious content to unpack with this story. i didnt find that to be a bad thing, but i think its good to note for readers going into this expecting it to be similar a similar tone as ‘the switch.’

but i did enjoy the s
preoccupiedbybooks
*Now available*

2.5 Stars ☹

Two sisters (Addie and Deb), one ex (Dylan), one toxic best friend (Marcus) and a random (Rodney) all squash into a mini for the road trip from hell...Will they make it to their friend's wedding in time? Will Addie and Dylan confront their past mistakes? What can possibly go wrong?!

This dual timeline, second chance romance was one of my most anticipated books of the summer, but it didn't really deliver. Vastly different from Beth O'Leary's other books, which I loved, it
chan ☆
hell no
Paromjit
Unlike her previous two novels, Beth O' Leary's latest doesn't have quite the same feel good warm vibes but it charts her development as an author as we have more complicated flawed characters with mental health issues, dysfunctional families and toxic behaviours which makes for more uncomfortable but a more rewarding reading experience. Additionally, the main protagonists are young, as a consequence perhaps not as resilient, with a more hazy sense of identity and make major errors of judgement. ...more
Jayme
Mar 09, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom_com, edelweiss
While I would happily FLATSHARE with Tiffy, or SWITCH lives for the summer with Eileen or Leena, I cannot say that I would want to take a road trip with this bunch!

I liked Addie and her sister, Deb and I could probably sing along with them in the MINI COOPER and tolerate the “random wedding guest” Rodney, who was along for the ride.

But, there is no way, that I could spend that much time with Dylan’s best mate, Marcus, who was driving in the BMW with him.

This is a SECOND CHANCE romance for Add
Michael David (on hiatus)
Two exes forced to take a road trip together? What’s not to love? More than I’d hoped, unfortunately.

Addie and her sister, Deb, are on their way to Scotland for their best friend’s wedding. They are all set to have a fantastic road trip with awesome music and delicious snacks...and an odd man named Rodney in the backseat. That is, until they are rear ended by Addie’s ex, Dylan. He and his best friend, Marcus, are also going to the wedding. Addie hasn’t set sight on him since their breakup two y
✨ A ✨
Jun 03, 2020 marked it as d-n-f
DNF at 70%

Dylan, Addie and marcus are annoying af
Sheyla ✎
Is this the same author that gave us The Flatshare and The Switch?

It didn't feel that way to me.

Dylan and Marcus are driving towards their friend Cherry's wedding in Scotland when they hit the car in front. Of course, the car in front is driven by Dylan's ex-girlfriend, Addie.

Addie is also going to the wedding. Her sister, Beth is in the passenger seat and Rodney, a guy from the Facebook wedding group is in the back.

When Dylan's car ceases to work, Addie can't leave Dylan stranded. So both Dyl
Beth
4 Stars

Trigger Warnings: Sexual Assault, Alcohol/Drug Abuse, Homophobia, Mental Illness, Manipulative Behaviour, Eating Disorders

What an absolute whirlwind of a book! A very basic synopsis of this is that Dylan and Addie broke up and now they are in a very small car together on their way to a wedding. This is the story between past and present the highs and the lows of the relationship.

This for me was one of Beth O'Leary more raw and vulnerable books. It's really strange, because I found parts o
Abby | abbysbookadventure
Apr 25, 2021 rated it did not like it
Thank you to NetGalley and Berkley for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Cue the popular Tik Tok/reels song: “Oh no. Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no.” I recently finished The Soulmate Equation and really liked it and wanted another lighter, fast read to combat work chaos/stress, so I decided to start The Road Trip. I haven’t read The Flatshare or The Switch but I have the latter and have heard good things in general. I know this was a highly anticipated read, and was e
Corina
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Road Trip is the author’s third book. It was a bit surprising that The Road Trip had a bit more grit compared to her earlier work. More depths. And also more emotions and carried a bigger punch.

The novel is split into two different timelines. And although I’m not usually a big fan of this kind of method, I loved how the author combined the two timelines. The back and forth allowed for a slow revelation that was actually quite powerful.

The present confronted the two exes, forced them into a s
Ceecee
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Addie and Deb Gilbert with misfit Rodney are in Deb’s mini en route from Chichester to Scotland for friend Cherry’s posh wedding to Krish. When bang, out of nowhere seemingly, their stationary car is smashed into by a large Mercedes. Out of which climb Marcus and Dylan ..... the latter is Addie’s ex, they are also en route, same destination. The merc is undrivable, the mini isn’t, so of course they squeeze in uncomfortably for what proves to be a very eventful journey. The story is told Then and ...more
Christy
May 14, 2021 rated it liked it

001(60)

This is the third book I've read by Beth O'Leary and what I love about her stories is that none of them are the same. They all have such different feelings to them. The Road Trip is a second chance romance/road trip story that is told in dual perspectives with chapters from both the past and the present.

When Dylan and Addie meet, it seems like the typical rich guy, average girl relationship. Addie is working for the summer in the place that Dylan's family rents out. They spend the
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
3.5 stars. This is a rough one for me to review, if I'm being honest. This was quite possibly my most anticipated read of 2021 so I went into it with pretty high expectations, and while I did end up enjoying it, it definitely wasn't the book that I was expecting. Based on the blurb and the cover and Beth's previous two books, I expected this to be a fun, light-hearted, road-trip romance. While this did feature some of those elements, this book was anything but light-hearted. It deals very heavil ...more
Navessa
Sep 28, 2021 rated it did not like it
DO NOT BLINDLY READ THIS IF YOU:

- are a sexual assault survivor
- have ever been gaslighted by a partner
- have ever been stalked
Samantha
Jun 20, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: forced-proximity

TW: alcoholism and drug abuse; sexual assault; emotional abuse from parents; stalking

As you can likely tell from the TW list, this book had way more heavy content than I was expecting from a second chance romance. The book is told from both POVs in both the present and past that leads us through the relationship, how it fell apart, and how they got to present day. The problem I ran into was there weren’t enough good times in the past to get me to believe that these two would continue
Jessica
Jul 30, 2021 rated it liked it
TW sexual assault.

Another super fun, rom-com cover with a super serious romance on the inside. I went into this one with not that high expectations (I haven't heard the best things about this one) and got just an okay story. The Road Trip is about Dylan and Addie, who broke up two years ago and haven't seen each other since. They get into a car accident and end up having to drive to a wedding in Scotland together with a bunch of their friends. This flashes between the present road trip
Larry H
Apr 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
3.5 stars.

Can forced proximity help a former couple recapture the magic or will it just make things worse? This is the question addressed in Beth O'Leary's new book, The Road Trip .

Dylan and Addie were in love. It was an intense relationship, but Dylan’s indecisiveness about his future and his constantly choosing his longtime best friend Marcus, who had wanted nothing more than to break them up from the start, dooms them. But when a betrayal occurs, it shatters everything.

Two years later, the
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
I loved both The Flatshare and The Switch, but this one disappointingly fell a bit short for me. It lacked the lighthearted humor of those first two for the most part. Towards the end, there were some humorous moments, but it wasn't enough to make up for the journey to get there.

The Road Trip is, at its core, the story of Addie and Dylan's relationship. Told from the present-day when they are unexpectedly crammed in a car together with three other people on their way to a mutual friend's wedding
Lisa
Jan 29, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-com
Well what a dysfunctional group this was, I wanted to like it but it didn’t tickle my funny bone at all it was a real slow paced first half I nearly DNF but I did somehow.

A group of friends & one hang ones are invited to a wedding in Rural Scotland when Dylan crashes his car all five go in a Mini Cooper & then the fun starts, Dylan & Addie had a breakup 2 years earlier but will they find love again?

I must say I didn’t like Dylan or Rodney who tagged on for the ride, I like Addie & her over prote
On the Same Page
ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this would be 3 stars but now that I'm thinking about writing the review, it's definitely 2.5 stars.

TW: sexual assault, alcoholism, stalking

When a book is heavily focused on two characters and the relationship between them, it's really important to connect with said characters. If that doesn't happen, the book will feel like a chore to get through, and unfortunately that was the case for me here.

The book s
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Can I just say YOU HAD ME AT ROAD TRIP?!?!?!?!?! I mean c’mon . . . .

And the playlist for this one was nuttin’ but winner winner chicken dinner. Old faves . . . .

To new faves . . . .

I was truly having a Veruca Salt moment while attempting to score an early copy of this one.

Now that I’ve read it I have to confess that it wasn’t as good as The Flatshare or The Switch . . . . .

But good grief. What author out there can bat 1,000???? I will fully take the blame this time because I
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
I probably (definitely) should’ve read the reviews for this before reading. I expected a fun road trip romance set in Scotland been exes and instead got a frustrating book about a guy and his toxic, jealous best friend, with barely any present day romance in sight.
Theresa Alan
Mar 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare romantic comedies that is actually funny rather than merely light and fun. The characters and their backstories are as complex as are their relationships, which makes this a wonderful romance.

Addie and her sister, Deb, are on their way to a wedding when they’re rear-ended—by Addie’s ex-boyfriend and his best friend, Marcus, the man who worked as hard as he could to drive a wedge between Addie and Dylan. Deb suggests they ride the rest of the way together in the one car
Colleen-Is Trying to Catch Up Got a Lot Going On 🤪
Actual Stars 3.5 Rounded Down

When I started The Road Trip I was under the impression it was a YA novel for some reason. I wondered why Beth O’Leary would write YA when all her other books are adult, but I enjoy both genres so I thought I’d give it a try. Not only that but a broken up couple (and badly at that) forced to spend time in a car for an undetermined amount of time..yeah I’m there for all the messiness! 😈

I learned a couple things pretty quickly. The barrage of f bombs and other language
Suz
I wrote one of my status updates here on GR that ‘This book frustrates me’. It did. I loved the banter and the uniqueness of The Flat Share and the fun and wholesome nature of The Switch, but The Road Trip had none of the qualities I found in the two prior books and was left disappointed.

The characters that were meant to be despised, I despised, for good reason, but the likeable characters, like, I did not.

Addie and Dylan have been broken up now for almost two years. Addie and her sister are on
Maisha  Farzana
Jun 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
=》Okay, I hated it. This book is completely nonsense and boring.

I did read "The Flatshare" by Beth O'Leary a couple of months ago and really really enjoyed that book. So, when I learnt about the newlyreleased book by the same author, I was really excited to read this book. The premise of "The Road Trip" also felt so good to me. But now, I'm extremely disappointed.

Though the plot seemed fascinating at first but the execution of the story is quite bad. Didn't care for any of the characters. The ma
Whispering Stories
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

In the early hours of the morning, Dylan and his friend Marcus have set off early to attend their friend’s wedding in Scotland. When Dylan becomes distracted by the sight of the woman in the mini in front of them, convinced it is his ex-girlfriend Addie who he hasn’t spoken to in two years after a bad break-up, he ends up driving into the back of the car.

Turns out he was right, it is Addie and her sister Deb and passenger Rodney, who were also on the way
The Midnight Readers: The Road Trip 34 18 Nov 05, 2022 10:49AM

• Listening Still
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • P.S. I Hate You (P.S., #1)
  • Purple Hibiscus
  • Казка про Старого Лева
  • Тихі віршики на зиму
  • Every Other Weekend
See top shelves…
Beth studied English at university before going into children’s publishing. She lives as close to the countryside as she can get while still being within reach of London, and wrote her first novel, The Flatshare, on her train journey to and from work.
You’ll usually find her curled up with a book, a cup of tea, and several woolly jumpers (whatever the weather).

Articles featuring this book

It's time for happily ever after! If you're looking for a story to pull at your heartstrings, satisfy your soul, and make you believe in true...
“But that’s the thing about almost: you can be ninety-nine per cent there, you can be an inch away from doing it, but if you stop yourself from stepping over that line, nobody will ever know how close you were.” 20 likes
“Everyone’s got the potential to do the wrong thing – if we were measured that way, we’d all come up short. It’s about what you do.” 10 likes