Start by marking “Thorunn” as Want to Read:
Thorunn

Thorunn

Nine years ago, Skytown soldiers brutally murdered Kenton's family. Now those same men aim to return and destroy Kenton's hard-won, idyllic life amongst the peaceful shifter people of the Hinnom Forest.

Meanwhile, Laine Riven–dragged from Earth to Thorunn against his will–is stuck navigating an unfamiliar school, his jerk of an uncle, and the rising threat posed by the Outp
Published May 20th 2020 by Starren Isle Press

To ask other readers questions about Thorunn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorunn

Start your review of Thorunn
Judy Ferrell
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Teens strive for peace and honor. Forced to a new planet because of his behavior Laine learns what dishonor really means. Ester T. Jones shows us how greed can change a world in Thorunn. She also shows us how teens working together can try to bring peace and honor back to that world regardless of what they look like or who they are.
S.V. Filice
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I genuinely enjoyed Thorunn and fell in love with each characters! The world Jones’ produced is absolutely brilliant! I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this book and I’m always anxious when I start reading a new genre, especially if it in not a style I am familiar. However, this book converted me into a sci-fi fan. Seriously, sit back and let Esther steer the vercycle!

Laine and his family relocate to Thorunn, a planet where Laine can receive a fresh start. Having gotten into trouble
HappyGoldenKim
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Troubled teen Laine Riven and his family leave California for a new life on the outpost planet of Thorunn. Laine’s Uncle Gordon has arranged a job for Laine’s dad and the family will live in Gordon’s house until they can find a place of their own. Laine is removed from the LA street gang he’s got involved with and is enrolled at Ethaba high school on Thorunn. Laine is determined not to let his beloved mum down again and decides to make a go of it at school, studying hard and quickly becoming the ...more
E.S.
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-authors, arcs
I was honored to be a beta reader for Thorunn as well as receive an ARC copy of the book prior to publication. Neither of these experiences have impacted my review.

Imagine being whisked away from Earth, relocated to a foreign planet where you’re expected to start anew. Of course, in most cases this would be uneventful, but this is not the case of Laine Riven whose parents whisked him away against his will to the planet of Thorunn. Yet, he manages to make the best of his new life…until the Outpos
Nat
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Thorunn took everything good in Jones's debut novel (Tedenbarr of Have Lath) and expanded on it. Honestly, this book was great. The world building and the character development were phenomenal. I know that the ending has the plot pretty well resolved, but I would love to read another book set in this universe.
Literally the only problem I had with this book was that the chapters are long. That has more to do with ADHD than the actual writing, though.
I really loved the journey Laine took and how
Jessica Shubert
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SO. FREAKING. SATISFYING.

I feel bad for taking so long to read it. I read this in jolts, eyes flitting across the pages like I used to when it was like we could swallow books in half a day. It was thrilling and emotional in a great balance. I cried several times and felt deeply for the main characters.

And again. The setting? Phenomenal. I loved how it played into the story. The frix and the way the seasons revolve around it? So cool.
George Moore
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ARC Review

Though my teen years are in the rearview mirror, I see teens enjoying this coming-of-age story. The main characters make decisions and face circumstances they were never prepared for. Sometimes they make foolish choices (like teens do), but they face their challenges.

A fun read that I recommend.
Andhisnosestuckinabook
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really strong realised concept and world! Full of so many twists and turns! Only thing was the pacing at times which I found a bit to slow for my own personal taste. But overall a really enjoyable read!
purnima✨
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
twitterblogko-fi

**ARC review**

Set on a fictional planet and filled with dangers, unique beings and creatures (an aspect I love about this book), natives trying to protect their homelands, and human settlers as despicable as ever, this adventure-filled high-stakes fantasy is a rollercoaster ride of enjoyment.

If I'm being honest, I was a little disappointed with how slowly the first few chapters progressed—there were too few details about the main conflict in the story, and certain aspe
Sarah Coleman
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had a very interesting concept with some great main characters all in this very fascinating world. I found myself not able to put this book down and I am glad to have been given a chance to read an ARC copy of it.

Tee
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

"Shouldn't my heart have healed by now?"

Content Warnings: accidental opioid overdose, violence, death of a family member (on page), grieving, torture (on page, descriptive).

Although it had a rocky start, and it took me a while to find my footing, I can fully say that after about the 200-page mark, when our two main character’s paths cross, THORUNN was a consistently compelling and fun read. I really enjoyed the motivations of the characters and the journeys they went on. At times the stor
Anna Catherman
Dec 05, 2020
Monica McDougal
is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2021

• Feral Hearts (The Chronicles of Zaloria Book 1)
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Boy Queen
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Clap When You Land
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet, #2)
  • Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)
  • The Perfect Horse: the Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Queen of Coin and Whispers
  • How It All Blew Up
  • Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Newspaper Strips, Vol. 1
  • National Velvet
  • Every Believer Confident: Apologetics for the Ordinary Christian
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
Esther T. Jones has been writing stories in her head since she was five. She loves wandering the wilds of rural America–where's she's dreamed up many a story. When not writing, Jones can be found gardening, playing flute and piano, and designing costumes centered around her novels "Thorunn" and "Tedenbarr of Have Lath."

At present Jones is working on a few stand-alone novels as well as a multi-book

News & Interviews