Start by marking “Breathless” as Want to Read:
Breathless

Breathless

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  6,803 ratings  ·  1,296 reviews
Before: With graduation on the horizon, budding writer Claudine Henry is making plans: college in the fall, become a famous author, and maybe--finally--have sex. She doesn't even need to be in love. Then her dad drops a bombshell: he's leaving Claude's mother. Suddenly, Claude's entire world feels like a lie, and her future anything but under control.

After: Claude's mom wh
Published September 29th 2020 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Breathless, please sign up.
tina 16 years and older it's an good age to read this.…more16 years and older it's an good age to read this.(less)

·  6,803 ratings  ·  1,296 reviews

Start your review of Breathless
jessica
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
wow. this came out of nowhere. i think JN has been desperately trying to recreate the compelling magic present in ‘all the bright places.’ and this story does come close. its definitely an improvement from her previous book, thats for sure.

and i think its because this particular story is very personal to JN. you can feel the emotion, the heartbreak, the confusion, the love. i think its comes across very genuine and authentic.

there is also a lot of great and relatable content regarding feminism
Aahana ♥
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-o-a-t, buddy-read
Oh my god.
Oh my Lord.
Jennifer Niven, what was this????!

This book...
Warning - I have just finished reading this and I am writing a review now because I don't want to forget this feeling. I don't think anything I could write could equal the feelings I am having right now, but I'll try.

Breathless is the story of a girl, Claude, who has her life planned out before her. She's 18, and it's her last summer before college.
Her summer bucket list -
i. Road trip with Saz
ii. Hanging out with my friends
iii.
Emily
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, it's settled. I have to move to Georgia now. ...more
Catherine Woodward
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐️

Ugh. It is so hard for me to give Jennifer Niven less than 5 stars. It pains me. All the Bright Places is one of my all-time favorite books and Holding Up the Universe has one of the most unique premises I've EVER read in YA. Both books made me cry, and though I am usually a ball of emotion in real life, it takes a special kind of book to bring me to tears. Niven is so gifted when it comes to dealing with mental health in teens, adults, and discussing incredibly sensitive topics with ease
C.G. Drews
This is one of those slice of life contemporaries. It's a journey of losing your footing in your quiet, happy, safe life and growing up all in a rush. The setting definitely caught my heart. The island, the sea, the way Claude and Jeremiah Crewe could lose themselves in this seclusion from their real problems for just a summer. They lost and found themselves in each other, even though they knew their romance could only be temporary. It's very sex-positive and honestly I found their relationship/ ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Here is where I began.

Oh. My. God. This book. T. H. I. S. B. O. O. K. . . . . .

This is THE. BEST. first love/first time story I have ever read. It made my old Boomer heart grow three sizes and I even squirted out a couple of tears for nostalgia sake. It was either that or the alternative . . . .

But yo girl ain’t about wasting no liquor.

The story here is about Claude. Ready to graduate high school with the rest of her l
Larry H
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Jennifer Niven's latest YA novel, Breathless , is emotional and enjoyable. It's a story about love, trust, family, and friendship.

“I imagine a room or maybe an entire planet where all the love goes to live once we’re done with it. Like a kind of junkyard. Little remnants of love scattered everywhere. People picking through, collecting the strongest, biggest pieces, and trying to make something of them again. Isn’t this what we do every time we meet someone new or fall f
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I’ve found this to be a hard one to find a comfortable rating and so I’ve settled at the 2.5 point after much pondering. Reading BREATHLESS proved to be a frustrating experience. The main character Claud felt all over the place and while she had reasons, the drama whiplash was severe at times.

I felt a little more settled in the story when Claud got to her island summer home, I liked the vibe of the place and the eclectic mix of people. Claud however, remained chaotic and sex-obsessed when she go
Soha Ashraf
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I was not invested in the story at all. It felt like big chunks were missing from the tale. The island life was refreshing: a beach with baby turtles and fossils. However, Miah and Claude could have been more, so much more.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
It's a perfectly paced summer read, one you can enjoy lazily as Claudine/Claude is to spend the summer after her senior year (against all her plans and wishes) in a remote island in Georgia. Falling in love is the last thing in her mind but well, isn't that the usual time it happens, when you least expect it? It quite helped abate the cold a little as it's about 10 degrees Celsius as of the moment I'm reading this. Ms. Niven's writing in this novel has a very hypnotic effect. The setting, the mo ...more
Beckee❤️
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ugh, this book broke me. Like, completely broke me. What a beautiful story.
Tilly
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
2 stars

TW: Talk of multiple suicides, drowning, parental separation, worrying negative behaviour, use of alcohol as a crutch, sex talk and sex scenes.

I went into this book SO excited and with a great start filled with feminism and open positive talk about sex, I thought this may be a new great YA book. I was unfortunately completely let down. I have enjoyed Jennifer Niven's books in the past but for me, this book was a bit of a mess.

If I could sum up this book in three words it would be pretent
Elvina Zafril
Breathless is a well written story about a girl facing her parents divorce and exploring sex and virginity. Claudine is 18 year old girl who is dealing with anger and frustration due to her parents separation.

It sets on a beautiful remote island where there's no internet connection. A good place to connect with real human and to disconnect from modern technology world.

The characters were great. Claudine and Jeremiah are like-able characters. The most coolest character I think is Saz, Claude's b
Karen Barber
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you, Jennifer Niven, for writing the book that I needed as a teenager, and showing that, even though the results may not be exactly what you want, you have to be open to the possibilities life offers.
Breathless starts slowly, and while I was enjoying it I didn’t think it was going to cause the emotional gut-punch it did. It’s a book about love, learning to accept yourself and to have the confidence to take risks as they hurt but can bring wonderful things.
The main character in this, Claude
Ayesha
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating:- 4.5 stars to be more specific ( can be turned 5 any time in future ).

Guess who can make you long for a weird island with beautiful stories, which does not exist?? Her Gorgeousness, Jennifer Niven and our ( her and mine ) all time favourite Harry Styles!!! Umm...Does anyone ever longed for the island named Eroda?? Just me?? Okay.

Jennifer Niven did that to me again, made me feel everything all at once. It was awful in a weirdly amazing way.
Breathless is about unexpected events in our
jesse📚
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Here we laughed. Here we fought. Here we loved and dreamed. Here is where the first brick fell. Here is where the floor disappeared. Here is where I built a new one underneath my feet.

And here is where I began.

I am sobbing.

I said in my reading progress that if this isn’t sad in any way, I don’t want it.

I regret that now. I DON’T WANT IT.

I am sobbing my heart out on an EXAM NIGHT.

Life changing summer. One Summer Love. The most cliché trope of all time but I eat these shit up. I love it. I don
Sophie
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
i love jennifer niven but this was not it, i got so mad i couldn’t even finish it. basically she had sex and all of a sudden now she is confident? i’m sorry, so girls need to have sex to be confident? maybe i interpreted it wrong, but that’s what i got out of it. also, it was lacking something. i didn’t feel the love and i didn’t relate to the characters at all. it also felt a bit rushed. (side note: i cannot stand books where it takes place on the beach and the main characters fall in love over ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, audio-book-2020
This story left my heart shattered and full at the same time. It was the glorious story I didn't realize I needed. ...more
Sylvie
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book legit made me sad. So I gave it 4 stars.😅
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Worst 2020 book cover award goes to...
Léa
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

After adoring Jennifer Niven's All the Bright Places as a teenager, I was hoping to love Breathless... but I wasn't too sure how I would feel reading it as an adult. I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed Claudine's character and her flaws. The complexity of her family is something I'm sure many readers can relate too and she dealt with the theme of divorce so delicately. I also loved the discussion of virgini
Kate (GirlReading)
This is my first book by Jennifer Niven and having picked it up on a whim, I'm so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's filled with raw, messy character figuring out life and all the hardships, changes and challenges that come with it. It's about grief and first love and family and heartbreak.

I instantly warmed to the cast of imperfect but loveable characters and the multiple complex and individual relationships between them. The plot was endearing, heartfelt, honest and the settin
Madhan
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Niven has become one of my fav author after reading her lovely book: All The Bright Places..❤️

Claudine, a teenage girl is happily planning for her college, writing & road trip with her best friend Saz (I envy their friendship🙈). All her plans gets shattered when her dad, Henry tells her somethin.

Claud & her mom, Laura go to an island to spend the holidays after which Claude has to go to college. She's distressed & breathless on this island when she meets Jeremiah ( J. Crew)..

Initially,
Briney
Pretty sure I can sum up this story a lot more concisely than ~380 pages: Meet Claud(ine), a teen whose coping mechanism is limiting her emotional experience to feeling angry and/or horny. The end.

I felt really conflicted reading this book. I wanted to like it, I did. And if we remove Claude, I probably would. She's just so goddamn unlikable! While I generally really love and appreciate morally grey characters that portray the complexities of life and nuances of human behaviour, I swear this gir
Stephanie
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yesterday was a rainy, dreary day. So my self-care came in the form of sitting in bed almost all day and devouring this book. The entire darn thing in one day. ⁣

I got up and cleaned and then got back in bed and read. And then I went and made dinner and got back in bed and read. I rode my Peloton and then climbed right back in bed again. You get the picture. ⁣

This book is just something special. I haven’t been 18 in… longer than I care to share🥴. But this beautiful novel took me right back to t
Cory Marie
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Is it weird that I found the acknowledgments to be even more poignant than the actual book?
Andre
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

Not my fav book from J Niven but I still enjoyed it.

A cute and not that tragic love story that is perfect for summer.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Thanks for the free book, @PRHGlobal/@prhinternational !

4,5 stars

“Breathless is, in many ways, even more personal for me than All the Bright Places. It’s the book I needed when I was sixteen, seventeen, eighteen; a frank take on sex and love, divorce, disappearing floors, finding yourself, and the importance of writing your story.”

Jennifer Niven’s introduction says it all.

I have read and loved All the Bright Places and was thrilled to get this ARC of Breathless.

I honestly savored
Elizabeth☮
This didn’t get under my skin the way Niven’s other teen romances have done, but I did like Jeremiah Crew’s character. He is mysterious and cool and I can see why Claude Henry fell for him. The setting is a real part of the story (an island off the coast of Georgia).

Claude has just graduated from high school and is matriculating to Columbia in the fall. But first, her life turns upside down when her parents separate. Off she and her mom go to this home that has been in her mother’s family for g
Ink&Paper
Oct 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
I'm ashamed of myself for being excited about this book. Jennifer Niven is my favourite author and All The Bright Places is one of my favourite YA novels.
Coming to Breathless, this was a DNF. I do not stop reading a book until it's finished, but this one? I had no choice. A few pages in I began to HATE it. I know hate is a strong word and I shouldn't use it, but still, I have to come outright and say it.
The main character was just too much. I hated everything about her too

Please DO NOT read thi

• How to Walk Away
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Without Merit
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • All These Monsters (Monsters, #1)
  • The Simple Wild (Wild, #1)
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • The Worst Best Man
Jennifer Niven is the Emmy Award-winning #1 New York Times and International bestselling author of ten books, including All the Bright Places and Holding up the Universe. Her books have been translated in over 75 languages, and All the Bright Places has won literary awards around the world, including the GoodReads Choice Award for Best Young Adult Fiction of 2015. It was named a Best Book of the Y ...more