Start by marking “Entering the Stream: An Introduction to the Buddha and His Teachings” as Want to Read:
Entering the Stream: An Introduction to the Buddha and His Teachings

Entering the Stream: An Introduction to the Buddha and His Teachings

The grandeur, simplicity, and freshness of the 2,500-year-old tradition of Buddhism are reflected in this collection of writings intended as a primer for newcomers to the subject as well as a reference for those familiar with Buddhism.

The selections include:

•  The story of the Buddha's life.
   •  A concise historical background.
   •  Key writings of Theravada, Maha
Published December 14th 1993 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Entering the Stream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entering the Stream

Start your review of Entering the Stream: An Introduction to the Buddha and His Teachings
Kevin
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Truth Seekers
Shelves: religion
This book was a great introduction to the Dharma. The chapters on the Heart Sutra, Diamond Sutra, and Zen Buddhism I found to be particularly interesting. The section on Zen Buddhism taught me the important of the Full Lotus Position while meditating, which I am currently struggling to get comfortable in over extended periods of time.
Jeremy
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A relatively straightforward introduction to Buddhism, that expects a lot of the vocab footwork to be done on your own time.

The book is composed of four parts: The life and spread of Buddhism, the basic teachings of Buddhism, the teachings of the "great vehicle" (this part is basically a catch-all for various Buddhist teachings and stories), and finally, the tantric teachings.

As a complete beginner to Buddhism, the book excels in terms of content, but absolutely falls apart in teaching. I learn
Jennings
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't read it all, as it is a compendium of readings rather than a book in and of itself. The readings were lovely but it isn't something to read in one sitting.
Kristy
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some sections were amazing and I will re-read them many times. A few sections were woo-woo in my humble opinion.
Leo Michelson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1st book on Buddhism I read in 1994 that got me hooked from the 1st page...love that i found it at a used bookstore and revisit these accessible teachings!
C Settles
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good introductory read for those not familiar with Buddhism. Recommend followup with The Buddhist Bible for in depth look.
Cat Gorman
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, zen, goat
Read multiple times in my life. It keeps me informed and centered when flipping the pages.
Ann Buechler
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful introductory book to Buddhism. It told a succinct history of Buddhism and all of its tenets and off shoots. Because Buddhism provides a completely new way of looking at the world, it took me a bit to get through, but it was definitely worth the read. I especially loved how most of the components of Buddhism were explained through excerpts from practicing Buddhists. I now have a working reading list and an idea about the authors and their writing. A must read for anyone inter ...more
Beesknees
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think it gave a pretty thorough outline about Buddhism in general and also the three major schools of teaching. A solid intro book that presents a good selection of teachers and texts for further study.

I really like that there was a wide selection of different Buddhist texts, though I will admit I got completely lost on the language of some of the older ones.
Rebecca
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: never-finished
This is a dense book on Buddhism with chapters written by well-known buddhists such as Pema Chodron and Tich Naht Hahn. I never finished the book, but I read was well-written, interesting, and informative. I would recommend it for anyone with a serious interest in the teachings of Buddhism.
Karl Nehring
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
There is some nice material anthologized here, although some of the later chapters on Tantric teachings are a bit esoteric. Still, it is good to have original material from primary sources brought together into one attractive volume.
Amanda
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book of independent chapters exploring aspects of Buddhism. Highly recommended!
Kent
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introductory Buddhist texts drawn from all over the world.
Smp
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
excellent book for anyone who is interested in budhism, very easy to read.
Stacey Sullivan
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very interesting...
Cindy
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Buddhist reading is never easy, but reading this book in small bites opened doors to me that I didn't realize I'd closed. Eye-opening and enlightening.
Laurie
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
this is the book that got me interested in buddhism.
James
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I believe this book has been retitled, but is a great introductory volume for anyone interested in Buddhism.
Paul Causton
Einstein273
Sep 21, 2016
Stephanie
Jun 04, 2007

• Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • The Life of Gampopa: Incomparable Dharma Lord of Tibet
  • The Life and Teaching of Naropa
  • The Instructions of Gampopa: A Precious Garland of the Supreme Path
  • The Life of Milarepa
  • A Brief History of Everything
  • The Divine Madman: The Sublime Life and Songs of Drukpa Kunley
  • The New Vampire's Handbook: A Guide for the Recently Turned Creature of the Night
  • Deck Z: The Titanic: Unsinkable. Undead.
  • The Cyberiad
  • Life Of The Mahasiddha Tilopa
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying