Start by marking “A Collection of Dreamscapes” as Want to Read:
A Collection of Dreamscapes

A Collection of Dreamscapes

A Collection of Dreamscapes by Christina Sng is an exploration of the darkness inside us, the shadow-self that screams and begs, forever fighting to claw itself out. It's a siren song of transformation, an uncovered diary that bleeds fairy tales and dystopias, and it reads like a grimoire full of spells and curses that bring monsters and madmen to life.

Between these pages,
Published April 16th 2020 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

To ask other readers questions about A Collection of Dreamscapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Collection of Dreamscapes

Start your review of A Collection of Dreamscapes
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Wow. This is my first time experiencing Christina Sng's writing voice, but it certainly won't be my last. She has such an incredible way with words, weaving together dark fantasy and horror, fairytales and social commentary — needless to say, I enjoyed this quite a lot. I don't think this leans as heavily on the "horror poetry" side as I expected it to, but I enjoyed the SFF and speculative elements to it all the same and found it a nice mixture of genres and themes.

Most of all, I loved the sect
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
4 1/2 Stars and bumping upwards for Goodreads because it was THAT good and because Goodreads refuses to give us the 1/2 star. Boo and hiss GR.

This little book of dark poetry will entrance you with its dark magic and simmering rage. Within its pages you will find fairytale worlds filled with magic, wonder and furious brutality. If you like dark fiction, I recommend giving it a try. The poems are broken up into themed chapters that often progress from one to the next continuing in a story-like fa
Emily
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"You've always told me / That I warm up your heart / I throw it in the fire / Now, that's a start."

A Collection of Dreamscapes is the second poetry collection I've read by Christina Sng, and both were enjoyable reads! I love that some of the poems were connected in this book, and it was fun to see everything woven together throughout the collection.

My top 5 poems were Little Red, Into the Tall Grass, The Lady of the Lake, Mortal Life, and Noonwraiths. There were several others I enjoyed as well
Sara Tantlinger
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had the honor of reading an early copy of this book and giving it a blurb, and with Sng it really is an honor. I cannot wait to get the paperback copy and reread the whole thing on paper. Plus, that cover! Gorgeous.

One of the many things that draws me into Sng's poetry is how expertly she shapes each piece. This is a poet who takes her craft seriously, who understands the work that goes into revising, editing, and revising a piece again until it is perfect, until each word of the poem lures yo
Becky Spratford
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three words that describe this book: immersive, creepy, accessible

What I love about Sng's horror poetry is how easily you slip into the world. she is creating. Readers new to poetry, might be worried about the format, but rest assured, this is not the poetry from hundreds of years ago that you were forced to read in school.

The poems flow so easily. The unravel like stories, super creepy and unsettling stories, but ones that complete envelop the reader. You read along easily, feeling the world, t
Mindi
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow...
Yolanda Sfetsos
Thanks to Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi, I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of this gorgeous book of poetry from Raw Dog Screaming Press.

I love the nightmarish but beautiful ambience of the cover because it illustrates the amazing words found within so well.

The book is split into five separate sections, and the overall narrative in each of these parts fit together perfectly.

The Love Song of Allegra tells the violent, sad and amazing story of the warrior Allegra and the war she takes part in.
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lohf, owned
A Collection of Dreamscapes is my first collection of poetry by Christina Sng - and because of this I am absolutely going to snag a copy of a previous collection titled A Collection of Nightmares. The cover is what first drew me in to this book of poems because, well, have you seen that stunning art??

These poems are haunting, stunning, and poignant. A few of them I read more than once just so I could fully grasp all that was being written down. And I found that reading them aloud helped slow my
Ben Long
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, poetry, owned, fantasy
The collection of over 80 poems is grouped into five sections: The Love Song of Allegra, Fairy Tales, All the Monsters in the World, The Capacity of Violence, and Myths and Dreamscapes. If you want more specific thoughts/insights into each section then go read the review on my blog at readingvicariously.net!!

Just know that this is an excellent collection of poetry, full of poems that are worth reading over and over. Needless to say the beautifully descriptive language and fervent imagination of
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
Christina Sng is a fantastic poet! This collection takes on trauma and the road to recovery, revenge, fairy tales, and self exploration and it's all told in beautiful evocative prose that will leave you gasping for air.⁣
Not all Dreamscapes are nice and I enjoyed the darker side of the fairy tales. If you're a fan of dark feminist poetry you should definitely pick up a copy of 𝘈 𝘊𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘋𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘱𝘦𝘴! ⁣
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
This was so great. Review soon.
Well Read Beard
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
3.5 Stars

This book reads like a dream, dark and fantastic. Danger in a sort of soft packaging. Multiple subtle brushes of the knife, no less deadly than the full on stab.

This if my first experience with Sng. I don't think I can do this review without comparisons to Stephanie Wytovich. I tried, but I don't think I can tamp it down. I have read all of Wytovich's poetry and this book shares the same publisher - Raw Dog Screaming Press. So I am just going to go with it.

I feel where Wytovich is all h
Eva
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sng's poems, which I have been dazzled by and amazed for years, have a dream-like quality here, which is not surprising given the title of the work of this collection. She conjures images of myths, of heartbreak, evoking the same tragedy of Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee."

Her poems are carved from the most beautiful gems, each one a special gift bearing different surprises for the reader. The emotions that her poems evoke hit the reader deeply, and resonate with strong chords of sorrow. Like he
Brad
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
dream·scape
noun
plural noun: dreamscapes
a landscape or scene with the strangeness or mystery characteristic of dreams.

Dreamscapes is the perfect word to use to define this collection of poetry by Christian Sng. There is a dreamlike quality to Sng's writing, each poem is expertly crafted to evoke a thought, an image, a sensation. Unlike prose writing there are no words wasted here, sharp and to the point these poems pull you into hallucinatory landscapes brimming with the fantastical, the beautifu
Amanda (spooky.octopus.reads) Turner
Another absolutely beautifully put together collection of dark poetry from Sng. Her words are haunting, entrancing, and beg for your absorption. At the conclusion of each poem I read, I found myself just sitting in silence letting the words ruminate in my mind as I prepared to submerge myself into the next otherworldly dreamscape.

The collection itself is broken into five sections, each so immensely different while still being strung together so perfectly. My favorite section was "Fairy Tales."
Nada Sobhi
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, dark, fairy-tale
A Collection of Dreamscapes by Christina Sng is a poetry collection divided into 5 sections and featuring an array of beautifully dark poems.

I particularly enjoyed the rewritten "Fairy Tales" and "Myths and Dreamscapes" sections.

A Collection of Dreamscapes opens with "Allegra," a 5-star stunning and beautiful mythological story within a poem. I absolutely loved this one. I must note though, that the poems in this opening section should be read in order – as I realized – but you will enjoy them
Suzy Michael
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

A Collection of Dreamscapes by Christina Sng is an exploration of the darkness in all of us, the shadow-self that screams and begs, forever fighting to claw itself out. It's a siren song of transformation, an uncovered diary that bleeds fairy tales and dystopias, and it reads like a grimoire full of spells and curses that bring monsters and madmen to life.

This is my second foray into Christina Sng's work
Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney)
Christina Sng has done it again with beautifully haunting poetry that will immerse you in a waking dream. These dreamscapes are centered around various myths: ancient, fairy tale, monstrous, violent, and futuristic. It's amazing how she can link such a wide range of topics and have them come full circle. Rebirth and death, destruction and creation, yin and yang, are one and the same. If you havent read Christina's poetry yet, what are you waiting for??
My favorites (though these were hard to pic
Intellectual Magpie
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written poems reaching into the depths of darkness and pulling out the fleshy beating heart of our souls... this book drowns you within tales of humanity rooted in evil. This collection is unlike anything I had read before having a few different sections within. I loved the rewritten fairy tales that were raw and ripped open... they satisfied my dark thoughts of what if...

*does have hints towards sexual abuse within this collection*
Christa
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had the honor of blurbing this book:

“To be escorted by Christine Sng through A Collection of Dreamscapes is to become the warrior queen of a forgotten land, a tech-savvy fairy tale maiden, a girl made of electricity with the power to short-circuit the world. It is a journey of monstrous possibilities, surreal surroundings, and entrancing mythologies, and one that—though we all must wake up eventually—I did not want to end."
Brennan LaFaro
The latest book I’m taking on in this series is A Collection of Dreamscapes by Christina Sng.  this book is broken up into five different sections, each one containing its own personality and character which stand to set it apart from the others. There is the smallest amount of overlap, but it almost reads more as five separate collections.

The Love Song of Allegra – I’m so happy that this portion of the book was selected to kick things off. we get a series of 17 poems that all work back to b
Bruce Baugh
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing, powerful, fascinating, wonderful collection of poems working with themes of horror and fantasy.

Content note: Some of these poems tell rough stories. There's violence, sexual and non-sexual abuse of women and children, suicide, and a whole heap of trouble. Nothing here is gratuitous, it's just that some experiences are innately difficult to write and read about, and sometime a reader should steer away from some subjects and not get dumped into them by surprise.

The poems here g
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I read the synopsis for this book I didn’t really have an idea of what to expect. I thought it would be just simple cute poetry with some horror thrown in and it ended up being beautiful dark narrative poems. Here are a few of my favorite tales. ⁣

⁣(1) The love song of Allegra. A story of the trials of war and of self sacrificing gods for their people to flourish. The chosen warrior fighting demons with magical spears. They are ruthless in their torture! ⁣

⁣“ℍ𝕚𝕤 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕕𝕤 𝕔𝕦𝕥 𝕚𝕟 𝕒 𝕙𝕒𝕝𝕗-𝕞𝕠𝕠𝕟
Betsy
May 03, 2020 added it
This collection off poetry provided the kind of dark escapism that I had been craving. I was excited to read this book because I loved the poet's previous work A Collection of Nightmare.

The book is divided up into various sections: The Love Song of Allegra, Fairy Tales, All the Monsters In the World, Capacity of Violence and Myths and Dreamscapes. Each of the poems were appropriately categorized. However as I read this entire collection I got the sensation of the magic of slipping into a dream t
Alex Gray (gray__pages)
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to Raw Dog Screaming Press for providing me with an ARC of this book for review. I first read the incredible work of Christina Sng in the Miscreations Anthology by Doug Murano, and her poems were my favorite part of it. I knew after that, I needed to read more by her.

Christina Sng can take the most horrific topics and weave them into beautiful, luscious works of poetry. I was truly mesmerized by every word on ever page. Normally, I would highlight my favorite poems in a collection
Andrea Blythe
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Christina Sng's collection of poetry, A Collection of Dreamscapes, blends dark fantasy, science fiction, and horror, examining the many-faceted aspects of women, from their hopeful dreams to their shadow selves. These lyrical poems offer tale of "women who hide behind the taste of poisoned apples, who set themselves on fire, who weep at riverbanks, the taste of freedom too much to swallow, too heavy to bear."  ...more
Steven Middaugh
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stuff Dark Dreams are Made on...

Well written they are. This collection is a mixed bag of sorts, the mixture of science fiction, fantasy, myth, and horror. Even the interpretation of fairy tales were wicked and sometimes hilarious like with Snow. Others are retold differently. Sometimes there are influences of Angela Carter, and a bit of Ray Bradbury. Definitely recommended.
Kimberly
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come soon!
Ty Green

• The Living Dead
  • Helena
  • Slade House
  • True Crime
Christina Sng is a poet, writer and artist. Her work has received honourable mentions in The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror, and nominations for the Dwarf Stars and Rhysling Awards. She is the author of several chapbooks, including Dark Dreams (2011) and A Constellation of Songs (2016). Her first two full-length poetry collections from Alban Lake Publishing and Raw Dog Screaming Press were publish ...more