Start by marking “Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Skippyjon Jones in Mum...

Judy Schachner

Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble

(Skippyjon Jones)

El Skippito is back! His doggy pals want to visit the Under Mundo—the underworld—where mummitos rest in peas. But they need El Skippito’s brains and courage to answer the riddle of the Finx and enter the mummy’s tomb. Our hero is up to the task, and he’s in for another whirlwind adventure.

Watch a Video
Published October 2nd 2008 by Puffin Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble

Start your review of Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble
Esther
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I gave this book 2 stars based on it's group-read-aloud potential for 3-5 year olds. It didn't do so good...probably one of the only books that bombed for my Early Learner Book Club class that I have been teaching for 3 years now. Sometimes I have to purchase the ELBC book without prereading and this time it came back to bite me.

First the children needed to be familiar with Skippyjon Jones to understand this book, for example I had to explain that he was a Siamese cat who thought he was a dog,
Shere
Aug 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why am I reviewing a children's book? Because I'm pretty sure this is the stupidest book I've ever read. It made absolutely no sense. Some of the words rhymed and some did not. Some of the pages had random Spanish words or Spanish-ish words and some did not. What are children supposed to get from this book? How am I this irritated over a children's book?

Example: "You seely leetle beast! To the Under World where mummitos rest in peas."

Seriously.

My two-year-old is now possibly traumatized for
Claire
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bennett
This book was all over the place - my 4 year old son lost interest halfway through.
Julee
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I personally do not use this book as a library read aloud. I am uncomfortable with the language because it reminds me of the old Frito Bandito commercials. My school is a dual language Spanish/ English school and I have no desire to offend students or their families by attempting to affect a comical Spanish sounding accent. Yet, it is a kid favorite so I keep them available. As always, the family is adoreable and loving. The mother ever patient. Above all, I love that Skippyjon has an imaginary ...more
Kat
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: Skippyjon Jones heads into his closet and over to Egypt.

I love these Skippyjon books. The art is cute and the stories are fun in both plot and readability. My little guy likes listening to me read them, and I find them fun to read. There's a connection there when we're reading and clapping together that doesn't come when reading other books. That alone makes the Skippyjon Jones books worth hunting down.
Dolly
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people under 6 and their parents
Shelves: childrens-books
Best kiddo book evah. My two-year-olds love it, even though it's meant for an older audience. The rhymes and silly names make it a great read-aloud book. All of the Skippyjon books are The Whole Enchilada.
Trent Gillespie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the hell was this? It made very little sense & it was slightly racially stereotypical of Hispanics in Egypt, for some reason. So bad.
Skippyjon Jones never ceases to amaze and delight me. Every new adventure that features this spunky little kitten always has my full attention. I love the rhyme scheme in this book, the way it rolls of the tongue in delightful phrases that always seem to end in "ito." It is an absolute blast to read out loud. The illustrations are fabulous, Judy captures the essence of the little rascal and shows you what is going on in that "beeg" head of his. Ah, I'm in love with these books. I would highly ...more
Shawn Deal
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Skippyjon Jones is a very clever cat with a huge imagination. Often it thinks of itself as a dog, because seemingly dogs are free to have more fun. Wonderfully illustrated and with a good smattering of Spanish words, this is a fun book series. In this book, Skippyjon Jones pretends he is in Egypt having adventures without leaving the confines of his bedroom.
Christine
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Skippyjon series! It is hilarious and very imaginative! My kids especially like it when we read it with an accent ;)
kelly
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simply-the-best
Another great adventure with lots of comedy.

Thank you Judy Schachner. We adore Skippyjon Jones.
Robert Solar
This is a story about a cat named Skippyjon Jones and his adventures using his imagination. In this story Skippy the cat is reading about mummies and Egypt and wanting to go on the adventures. His mom came in and told him to stop reading and that those stories would give him nightmares and scare him. But Skippy didn't listen and went to his room and bounced on his big boy bed and looked in the mirror and saw the giant chihuahua. soon Skippy grabbed his masked and belt and was ready for an ...more
Meg McGregor
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-i-love
This little kitty has crawled right into my heart and has a permanent resting place there. I love Skippyjon!

The illustrations are wry and whimsical, the text poetic and lively, and it just makes me happy reading this to my little ones!

Skippy is a Siamese Cat who thinks he is a mighty chihuahua. His imagination has no limits and he is just the cutest little thing.

I especially am happy that little ones, who hear this, will be given an introduction to Spanish, in a very pleasing and memorable way!

Kristen Adair
This is a cute book about an adventure by a little cat named Skippyjon Jones. He is reading a magazine about mummies and decides to go off on his own adventure to find one. He meets up with his friends the chimichangos and they tell him they want peas from the mummy. So he goes into the dark cave where 3 goddesses make him a mummy so he can go get the peas. After he gets them he is so scared he runs away into the arms of his mom. Then we see that this was all his imagination and his sisters were ...more
Bailey Douglas
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdng-350
I have always loved Skippyjon Jones books. I remember reading them when I was little and thinking they were hilarious! I think that in a classroom, students would also really enjoy listening to these books read aloud. The illustrations are interesting and fun. The font also travels across the page in different fonts and sizes. I think that this makes the book more interesting to look at. Skippyjon Jones is a cat who goes on many adventures in his house, and in this book he goes with his friends, ...more
Emily Coombs
When I was little, I absolutely loved the Skippyjon Jones books. In each book, the little kitten goes on a different adventure, this time to ancient Egypt. The little kitty enters ancient Egpyt and meets up with his old amigos, the Chimichangos pack. They want to go to the Under World, so they set off on their adventure! These books are quite comical as they take you through the story of Skippyjon and his friends. From the funny rhyme scheme to the little songs he sings, the book is silly and ...more
Aubrey Miller
Skippyjon Jones is a cat with a wild imagination. He has very big ears, so he thinks he is meant to be a chihuahua. In this adventure, Skippyjon Jones is reading a magazine about Egyptian mummies. His mother takes it away from him because she is afraid it will scare him, but Skippyjon Jones decides to go on the adventure anyway. He imagines traveling to the Nile River and meeting up with his friends, the Chimichangos pack. They decide to go to the pyramids and take some peas. The rest of the ...more
Air
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for Banned Book Week 2019:This week is the first time I have ready anything Skippyjon Jones - I must say, I was expecting something like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, or Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (which I honestly didn't care too much for), but was pleasantly surprised! These books have a fun rhythm to the words, engaging artwork (the real chihuahuas in the mirror is always my favorite), and fun, imaginative and slightly silly stories. I LOVED the random references to other ...more
Victoria Scott
Reading Levels: GRL N AR 0.5
I have given this book a 5-star rating because it not only introduces the history of ancient Egypt in a way young students will understand, it also includes some words in Spanish. Making it a fun way to teach children words in Spanish while also including any Latino students one might have in class.
This book can be read for fun, but it can also be used when talking about ancient history.
Carla
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skippyjon Jones confused me. Just when I thought I found the rhythm, rhyme or direction of the story, it would shift or go off on a tangent. Very random, which sometimes seems clever or funny, but sometimes reminds me of when my husband would fall asleep reading a story to my children, and the last few sentences he would "read" as he drifted off were pure nonsense. Of course it was hilarious, so I guess I can see why kids love Skippyjon Jones.
Anthony
Skippyjon Jones, the siamese kitty boy, who thinks he's a chihuahua, ignores his mother's warning about reading stories that will give him nightmares. His overactive imagination takes him to Egypt, when he finds himself trying to solve the riddle of the Finx, and he winds up in the underworld of an ancient mummy.
Delali
This book is so adorable and had my 7 year old laughing out loud through most of it. I love that his little cat family as well as some of the other characters are bilingual - it's very unexpected. My only criticism is that it was a bit hard to follow as far as the storyline; it felt like it jumped around a lot. However, we have other Skippy Jon Jones books that we're very excited to read now!
Craytonh
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent way to incorporate cross-disciplinary lessons into the classroom. I appreciate the cultural representations in this book as well. It could definitely be used for a lesson as well as a read aloud.
Devynn Turner
I really love this series of books, and this is no exception! Skippyjon Jones is always sure to bring laughs and giggles with his rhyming and adventures. In this book he explore the ancient life of Egypt and what lies within the mysterious pyramids!
Brooklyn
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
I read these books aloud to my kids at work. While it was a little hard to get through due to the spelling of words (words are spelled how they want you to say them), the kids enjoyed it. The family bond in these books is strong and adorable!
Shelby Rollenhagen
My kids both love these books.
Amy Phelps
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son loves these books. Skippy is so funny
Bostonpoet
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't go wrong with this kitty boy!

Another great story - we love Skippyjon Jones! Nice to see his sisters getting into a little mischief this time lol
Lynda
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Skippy is always entertaining to both the little and the big.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Pinkalicious
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • How I Became a Pirate
  • Parts
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1)
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
"I was the last child and only daughter born to Edward and Mary Francis Byron on August 20th, 1951 in the city of Waltham, Massachusetts. My oldest brother Ted was very good at art and my middle brother Kevin kept me laughing with his funny stories.

Growing up we didn't have much money. My mother was very ill, and to make matters worse, I was extremely shy. All my teachers complained that "Judith

Skippyjon Jones (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Skippyjon Jones
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action