Start by marking “He Started It” as Want to Read:
He Started It

He Started It

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  7,604 ratings  ·  1,981 reviews
Beth, Portia, and Eddie Morgan haven't all been together in years. And for very good reasons—we'll get to those later. But when their wealthy grandfather dies and leaves a cryptic final message in his wake, the siblings and their respective partners must come together for a cross-country road trip to fulfill his final wish and—more importantly—secure their inheritance.

But
Published July 21st 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about He Started It, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Maximilian Birner
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,604 ratings  ·  1,981 reviews

Start your review of He Started It
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NUMB. SPEECHLESS. STUPID. TRAINWRECK. That’s what I felt after reading this brain cell stealer, head spinner, face puncher, mind number, body hair remover story.

Let me say what I think about those DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS kind of NASSSSTYYY SIBLINGS. I hated them. I detested them because they’re human disposal, waste okay I’m taking back, I think they lost humanity for lonnnng time ago. I read their traumatic family story but I waited for learning that they’re adopted children and their biologic
Dita
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dita by: Samantha Downing
There is no sophomore slump here. None! At all!!

I read 300 books last year and My Lovely Wife was my favorite. I loved this EVERY SINGLE BIT as much!

I loved being in Beth's head as she was forced to take this road trip from hell with her dysfunctional siblings, nerdy husband and new sister-in-law. She is wily, wry, hilarious, snarky, sad and a teensy bit crazy.

The ending blew me away. Brava!! I just cannot...

Reading this book made me feel like I got to hang out in Samantha Downing's head for a f
Meredith
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss
I couldn't wait for this road trip to end!

3 siblings are forced to reenact a childhood road trip in order to claim their inheritance. The drive to their final destination leads them into danger, as all are plotting behind one another’s back. Secrets are unearthed, betrayals revealed, and relationships implode.

I don’t have much to say: The plot is convoluted and the narrative drags and drags and drags. Beth the narrator is a toneless bore who keeps telling and telling and telling FOR THE ENTIRE
Deanna
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

He started it, but someone else is going to finish it.

A unique and gripping story!

I REALLY enjoyed Samantha Downing’s previous novel, “My Lovely Wife” so I was thrilled to get my hands on this novel.

Twenty years ago Beth, Portia, and Eddie’s grandfather took them on a road trip. He said it was going to be a great adventure. It had been a boring hot summer so far so the kids were excited.

Their grandfather had alw
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
“Sometimes we are a family of [@]ssholes. You can blame that on Grandpa, he started it.”

Yep, folks. That’s the Morgan siblings. A more apt description than the above, I could not write.

But oh, what fun it is to follow this family of @ssholes on their road trip from hell in Samantha Downing’s latest novel, He Started It.

(Cue the beginning notes of Holiday Road by Lindsey Buckingham. Let’s add some catchy background music.)

Beth, Eddie, and Portia Morgan have been estranged for years. That i
Debra
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
There is a quote in the book about families being the least forgiving of them all. Would you agree? I bet Eddie, Beth, and Portia would! The siblings are on a road trip where they are recreating a road trip they previously took with their grandfather when they were children. Their grandfather has died and has left instructions in his will that they must finish this road trip in order to collect their inheritance. Sounds easy, right?

Except for this time, Eddie and Beth have their spouses with the
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Samantha Downing has joined us for Spoiler Free Q & A and gave us some great insight to He Started It

You can find the thread here

It's here!!! Get it today!!! I think this is one not to missed and I hope it's one you will join me in my saying "Hot Diggity Dang that was good!"

Giddy up my friends, fasten your seat belts and join this delicious wacky and entertaining road trip from hell with this family!! If a family road doesn't already sound like fun or ma
Farrah
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good thriller and this one is so clever! I think it's phe-nom-in-al!

The plot twists that are so shocking are all hinted at throughout the book but are hidden soooo well. It wasn't until I finished and could inspect it in hindsight that I saw the excellent job the author did of tying everything together.

I liked Beth's dry, sarcastic narrative and how she interacted with her siblings that she despised, yet is so similar to. And her relationship with her husband was just pure entertainme
Susanne  Strong
4 Stars

Family: You can’t Pick ‘em, but Sometimes, you sure which you could!

Ah, the nostalgia of family road trips!

Unfortunately for Eddie, Beth and Portia, they don’t exactly have fond memories of the road trip they took with their dear old Grandpa when they were young. Nightmares are more like it! So why, pray tell would they be willing to relive the experience all over again? An inheritance of course! Dear sweet Grandpa bequeathed them each with lots of dough on one condition, they must take
Kaceey
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Road trip!! WHEEEEEEE!

Remember those unbearable road trips you took when you were a kid? Stuffed into the backseat with your annoying siblings! So busy fighting you missed all the bizarre roadside attractions?
Well, what if many years later you had to retrace those steps? That’s right boys and girls! It’s another road trip! Only now you’re all grown up! And guess what…if you make it to the end?
There just might be a surprise waiting for you! Bonus!

Buckle up!

When grandpa died, the instructions in
karen
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

like many books in this 'rona-riddled world of ours, this one's birthday got pushed back from april to july, which is an even better time of year* for escaping into a page-turning thriller about a backstabby family and their ill-fated road trip**.

but don't take my word for it—trust in the HOT sticker!!!

this is the dysfunction-laced tale of three estranged siblings who are about to inherit a lot of money. and all they have to do is fulfill the terms of their wealthy grandfather’s
chan ☆
Oct 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
well that was 3 hours of my life i'm never getting back

not going to type a long drawn out review for this but wow that was lackluster. i must be missing something because it seems like most people loved this.

what's wildest to me about this story is how it could simultaneously be boring as fuck and also have some unbelievable as fuck plot "twists." twists in quote cause i'm not sure anything that happened in this book was truly surprising. i also think this book might win the award for being a t
marilyn
From the outside, looking in, the Morgan family looks so normal. The 1999 version of the family has a mom, dad, kids, and a grieving grandfather, who has just lost his wife. But the mom and dad fight often, so Granddad decides to take the kids on a road trip. It's a bit confusing for the kids when their nightly calls to mom and dad indicate that they don't seem to be onboard with this road trip and granddad closely censors each child's conversation with their parents.

Not only that, Granddad is
Jayme
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grandfather's Will has been read, and the instructions are clear:

Eddie, Beth and Portia must go on THE road trip, that he had taken them on when they were just kids, and scatter his ashes at the end.

Once he is in his final resting place, his assets would be divided equally between the three. His liquid assets alone come in at $3,453,000 with a house, car and furnishings yet to be sold.

Of course, there are a few final conditions: Anyone who ends up in jail, who does not complete the trip, or w
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
From the blurb for this book you all know the basics; estranged siblings have to reunite for a road trip in order to gain their inheritance. They have to exactly duplicate the road trip none of them will ever forget, with their Grandpa, decades before. They all found out about the road trip the same way, a conference call with his lawyer when he died. He read Grandpa’s words exactly as stated “Go on the road trip. Scatter my ashes at the end. Once I’m in my final resting place, my estate will be ...more
BernLuvsBooks
4 Siblings: Can't Live With Them So Why Not Kill Them Stars!

I kid, I kid but really if you have siblings you know that no matter how much you love them, you've fantasized about hurting them at some point or other. Let's be honest, we're all friends here. 😉

Samantha Downing is my new Queen of Dysfunction! First, we saw just how dysfunctional and crazy marriage can get in My Lovely Wife which I LOVED. Now, we have the ultimate sibling road trip from hell in He Started It and I was 100% b
Gabby
Closer to a 4.5, idk I need to think about it more
Ahhh, this book was a wild ride. After reading My Lovely Wife last year and loving it so much I knew I would want to read anything Samantha Downing writes in the future, and after this book she has made her way into my auto-buy authors list, this book was incredible!!

This is a road trip story that follows three siblings: Beth, Eddie and Portia. They have to go on the same road trip they went on when there were kids with their Grandpa in order to
daph pink  君は
2*boring*stars ✨

why I decided to read this book?
⭐ Road trip
⭐ Sibling rivalry
⭐ Dysfunctional family

I am a sucker for dysfunctional family mystery thriller and with the added idea of road trip and sibling rivalry this book lured me and I fell into this vicious trap!

( PS for a long time this book keeps popping up in my update feed and I used to thought it's an romance rivalry book sort of thing coz of title and cover!)

I liked the entire idea of re creating the journey undertaken 20 years back
preoccupiedbybooks
Available now!

A dark, tense psychological thriller that was shocking, sad and riveting!

"You can choose your friends, but sho' can't choose your family" (Harper Lee).

3 estranged siblings,
2 spouses,
An uncomfortable road trip to claim their grandfather's inheritance...
What could possibly go wrong?!

description
If you think your family road trips were awkward, they were nothing compared to the Morgan family, who took sibling rivalry to another level! Betrayal, greed, secrets, lies, this over the top, dysfunction
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
**** Happy pub day!!!**** Much love for this book!!!!!!!!!

So you say there is a new Samantha Downing book? I say...give it to me now! I couldn't wait for her latest book. My Lovely Wife was one of the best books I have read in 2019! If you have not read it yet, GO NOW...do it, just read it!

Ready for the road trip from hell? You think your family is dysfunctional and the road trips leave a bit to be desired? HAHAHA you haven't seen anything yet. This is no Chevy Chase Family Vacation...this is t
Elyse  Walters
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ll begin by saying I was - still am - a big fan of “My Lovely Wife”.
Samantha Downing raised the bar with psychological thrillers with her outstanding debut.

I’m still enthralled with Samantha’s talents, in “He Started It”.... and plan to keep reading her books as long as she keeps writing them.
However....where “My Lovely Wife” rocked my page-turning world ....from its fabulous beginning and fabulous ending....
“He Started It”....( started out exciting), eventually wore me down. I felt the book
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2.5 stars. A long family road trip filled with memories and surprises.

The three Morgan siblings are headed on a road trip. In fact, it’s the same road trip they took with their grandfather twenty years prior. This road trip reunion is their deceased grandfathers request in his Will. In order for the grandchildren to receive their inheritance, they must follow the exact same route.

After loving this authors debut, My Lovely Wife, I was very excited to get my hands on a copy of this latest novel.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recommend My Lovely Wife to everyone, and I could not wait for Downing’s newest book!

Beth, Portia, and Eddie are siblings who are a bit estranged. When their grandfather dies, they have to make a cross-country road trip together to be eligible for their inheritance. One of them (or respective significant others) is a killer with a dead body along for the ride (!!). Can you imagine what secrets these siblings are carrying?

If you are looking for a fresh new thriller, read this one. Be ready for
Tina
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a thriller. I have to start off by saying I love that book cover so much. It is about three siblings, Beth, Portia, and Eddie Morgan, being make to go on a road trip in order to get their inheritance. This story is told by one of the siblings, Beth. During the story so many secrets comes out and the ending I did not see coming at all. I cannot say I loved the ending because I do not like it leaving you hanging (that is all I can say). I did love the rest of the story, and it had me wanti ...more
Brandice
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
What The ?! In He Started It the Morgan siblings Beth, Eddie and Portia embark on a cross-country road trip in order to secure their inheritance from their grandfather, as instructed in his will. It’s a trip they made several years ago with him and wasn’t a pleasant one. Tensions are high and secrets abound as they make the trip again now as adults.

I was very curious to find out what would happen as the suspense continued throughout the story, told from Beth’s POV. This is a slow burn thriller
Frank Phillips
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 whopping Stars!
Wow, that was one of the best endings in a thriller that I have ever read! I'm super frustrated and pleased at the same time... What a way to wrap up a book that I felt was a bit long in the middle, and most likely going to give a 4 star rating, at best. Overall, the book did read a little bit long in the middle portion as the group of sociopathic siblings traveled across the country. The book alternates from present to past tense when the siblings made the exact same trip as
Norma
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wowzers! This was such a twisty, irresistible, and rapid-paced read! Loved the road trip angle and all the stops along the way!

I absolutely loved this one and I can't wait to chat with Samantha Downing who is joining us March 2, 2020 @7: 00 pm EST in our Behind the Pages group for a spoiler-free Q & A.

Mary Kubica
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Samantha Downing shows how to pack a punch in her latest phenomenal thriller, HE STARTED IT.  A twisty, sneaking tale of greed, lies and betrayal, with each character more conniving than the next and an ending that will make your heart stop.  This one needs to be on the top of everyone's to-read list!
Marialyce
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ah who can do without family? They are the backbone of what we are, how we think, where we travel in life, how we hang together or don't. As the saying goes....you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family" right?

When their wealthy grandfather leaves a will that stipulates the grandchildren, all adults now, follow a road trip they took with Grandad years ago, to acquire their inheritance, they are on the way to some very bizarre remembrances and some even more bizarre happenings. Fo
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
5 Stars!

You want a heroine. Someone to root for, to identity with. She can't be perfect, though, because that'll make you feel bad about yourself. A flawed heroine, then. Someone who may break the rules to protect her family but doesn't kill anyone unless it's self defense. Not murder, though, at least not the cold-blooded kind.

Woahhhh what a WILD ride

Three siblings: Beth, Eddie and Portia grew up together but their childhood wasn't all that normal. They eventually go their separate ways and

• The Friend Zone
  • Inside Out
  • His & Hers
  • Heart to Heart
  • The Liar
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • The Perfect Widow
  • Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
  • Mechthild of Magdeburg: The Flowing Light of The Godhead: The Revelations of Mechthild of Magdeburg
  • The Meat Hunter
Samantha Downing is the author of the bestselling My Lovely Wife, nominated for Edgar, ITW, Macavity, and CWA awards. Amazon Studios and Nicole Kidman's Blossom Films have partnered to produce a feature film based on the novel.

Her second novel, He Started It, was released in 2020 and became an instant international bestseller.

She currently lives in New Orleans, where she is working on her next thr

Articles featuring this book