Start by marking “Finders Keepers” as Want to Read:

(Finders Keepers #1)

This first book in a contemporary romance series weaves together deep biblical truth, moving romance, and a compelling plot, revealing how a Bible becomes a common thread as it is passed among three different families.

Award-winning author Catherine Palmer presents the first novel in another HeartQuest series. Fiery Elizabeth Hayes is determined to preserve Chalmers House,
Published October 1st 1999 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Finders Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finders Keepers

Hannah
I really enjoyed this small-town story about an antiques-store owner and the man who inherits her best friend's dilapidated Victorian. His idea is to raze it and build an office; hers is to preserve it as the former home of the city's founder. The inevitable clash isn't as unfriendly as you might think, though there are some sparks involved!

I loved how much the characters' Christian values played into and affected their daily lives and the small-town feel was perfect. It was also fun to read a "
Ana Rodrigues
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
So... not my cup of tea. It was my first try in reading a Christian romance and I found that I definitely don't like it. The couple relationship is deeply intertwined with their relationship to God and the Church and the plot that should keep the story going isn't strong enough to keep my atention. It's well written, it has a couple of lovable characters (the gipsy old man and the adopted little boy, even if they are a little stereotypical), but an excess of plot twist kept driving me away from ...more
Diane
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reminded me a lot of Karen White's Tradd Street series minus the 'spirits'. Old mansion in disrepair wanted by 2 people who are at odds with each other over its renovation or destruction. Little Nikolai brings a lot of humor to the story with his total lack of ability to filter his thoughts and feelings.
Lola
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth, a single woman with a boy she adopted from Romania, owns an antique shop.
Next door is an old mansion where her friend had lived. She died & left the mansion to her nephew, Zachary, who hadn't even known her.
The fight is on when Zachary plans to raze the house to build a modern office building on
the site. Elizabeth wants the mansion to remain & offers to buy it but Zachary's not selling.
The pair become romantically involved but can't overcome their differences on what should
be
Debbie Sue
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
not to sure about this one some of the characters were odd and very unlikeable but it would have been interesting if the author had finished her series with a book about the grown up Nick and Montgomery.
Jennie Webb
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute romance

If you've read many of my reviews, you probably know that I'm not a huge fan of romance novels, but I do read one every now and then... I think that if you are a fan of romance novels, you will enjoy this book. Catherine Palmer is a good story teller.
stacy
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Old Fashioned Romance

A sweet Christian romance that combines old fashioned values with modern problems. A good read if you want a break from all the negativity in the world.
Marvy Herrera
Great book!
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book, cbd
Catherine is a wonderful author with many books to her credit. Though this was not my favorite by her, it was still an enjoyable read. I loved the smaller town setting. The characters are likable. It's an easy read with a good ending. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to see how one of the secondary characters story plays out.
Margaret

Book Summary
Antiques dealer Elizabeth Hayes hopes to expand her shop by purchasing and refurbishing the Chalmers House next door. Zachary Chalmers, an architect who recently inherited the house, wants to tear it down and build an office. The resulting feud drags the town into a battle of historic value vs. personal property. The only one who doesn't care is Nikolai Hayes, Elizabeth's adopted Romanian son. He's interested in persuading Zachary to be his father and in listening to B
Brenda
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I do like Catherine Palmer and though her books are those with bible verses woven into the fabric or the main character is very christian, they usually have a lesson to learn too. Good Reads described the book as:

Award-winning author Catherine Palmer presents t
Nicol Legakis
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is Christian fiction. I really loved the character of the little boy, Nick. He was so endearing that, for me, he made the whole book. The premise of the book was really good, but I felt like the author didn't make the relationship of the two main characters real enough for me. Also, I didn't find as much depth to any of the characters as I would have liked. I felt like I got just a small hint of who they were inside and I would have liked to have known more. This book is geared to the ...more
Ruth Hill
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I really enjoyed this book. It had been some time since I read a Christian romance, and I forget how nice and easy they were to read. The characters were well developed, and the author was wise enough to put some twists and turns into it. I think the only thing that would have helped it was to put it in a different time period. It seemed like the story should have taken place a hundred years ago for it to make a little more sense. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. I would ce ...more
Linda Husvar
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tensions between preserving an old mansion versus modernizing a small town were prominent in this book. Could maintaining a family legacy compete with a push for upgraded parking and business space? How can a young boy from another country adjust to living with his single adopted Mom in America? Coping with these issues and revelations of family secrets were also themes that the author handled very skillfully. I also enjoyed how the characters' faith grew as they sought God's will for their live ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, ebooks
Finders Keepers was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library in 2012. I appreciate the opportunity to try the work of new-to-me authors this way.
I was entertained by the distinct characters of the supporting cast in this Christian fiction romance: Nick, Grace, Boompah, Mrs. McCann, and even, Mr. and Mrs. Fox. This reader found herself rooting for Elizabeth and Zachary to find a solution to their problem of how a 100-year-old decaying mansion can best serve the town of Ambleside.
I strongly
Stacy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I was in the mood for something different and it seemed as though this free Kindle book was something to try. I'm glad I did, it's probably what I would call a Christian romance, but it was as much about the characters in a small town as it was the romance between the main characters. The heroine, Elizabeth, has an adopted son (Nikolai) from Romania and his cute little faux pas of the English language were very endearing. Overall, a very enjoyable little book for me and I'll look for more by thi ...more
Justine
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Characters are so interesting, so layered and riddled with fears and doubts. Nothing about them is conventional or stereotypical. Everything about this book sucked me in. The main characters start off at odds with each other and you never imagine they could come to feel fondness for each other. There are a couple of good surprises to the plot, too! And faith in God really does play a central role, something I've seen other authors struggle with.
Jessica
I read this book several years ago and had picked it up because of the beautiful cover. I remember not liking it as much as some of the other Christian Romances I had read. Specifically, the "Brides of the West" and the "Western Sky" series' by Lori Copeland. Since it's been a while though, I'm considering picking this book up again to see what I think of it now that I'm older and not so new to the genre of Christian Romance books.
siti
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The only part of the book that I love dearly is Nick. Somehow I've never read anything that has a Romanian boy adopted by a single woman and it was interesting that this books has that. In addition, I enjoy the conversations Nick and Elizabeth had. I didn't enjoy the love story much but I really hope the mother-son relationship of Nick and his mom can be explored more. It's an interesting relationship. (it's free, so I'm not complaining much)
Jennifer Brown
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read Finders KEepers for a reading challenge to read a book that has your favorite flower on the cover. I also enjoy reading Christian fiction. This book was okay. It was a little too predictable and the message of salvation was predictable as well. I prefer Christian fiction that is a little more subtle. A book that non-Christians would read and leave them thinking. I enjoyed the story though.
Heather Langston
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The little boy was adorable, had me smiling the whole time and the subject matter (surrendering) is something I, myself, have been dwelling on recently so it really hit home. There was a part or two that was a tad bit slow for me but will still be looking into the sequel!
Liza
Feb 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not s fan of "Christian romance novels" and would have given up a quarter of the way through when the talk of living in Jesus Christ's mirror started, but I promised myself not to quit a book partway through this year.

In short: this book was incredibly petty, predictable, and unrealistic (and I've read a lot of less-than-realistic books lately; this one actually made me roll my eyes).
Katie O'Connor
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love a good romance, and this was one. The difficulties between the hero and heroine came from their lives, their families and their religious beliefs. They struggled, fought and argued, like real people. While not a religious person myself, I found their dedication and struggles with their faith inspiring and reassuring. This one is a keeper for sure.
Tamera Westhoff
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an okay book, but it seemed to drag on and on. How long can you fight over something? I liked that it was clean and guessed about the "surprise." I loved little Nicolai! What a crack up of a kiddo! It wasn't a book that I had to read straight through, which was good considering how much homework I was working on! But, I prefer being into the book. I just didn't feel drawn.
Debbie
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another free kindle book!
Some of it a really enjoyed ... the little boy was adorable! But the story line was a little forced at times.
I'll have to think about whether I want to read any more of her work....
Loraine
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Catherine Palmer but it definitely won't be my last. With an excellent story line, unforgettable characters, and the faith of God interwoven throughout like a tapestry, this romantic, small town, cozy story is a delight. I can't wait to read the sequel, Hide and Seek.
Feb 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
I should have just given up on this one. The plot was okay, but it was so long, and boring! I feel like the middle 150 pages could have been done away with and the story would not have suffered any (and it's only a 280 page novel).
Claudia
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Well written book. Really stressed the importance of surrendering your will for the Father's will. Enjoyed getting to know the characters, even though I would get annoyed by Elizabeth. overall, a good book showing the importance of becoming closer to the Lord.
Bendy
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an okay book. It was interesting to see the relationships develop between this collections of characters. The author could have explored the adoption a bit more. The book should be tagged as Christian fiction.
Hanna Caldwell
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
For a free book on the kindle is wasn't bad and was actually clean which is hard to find with free books. Yes, it was a little more on the religious side, but was a lot better then some of the LDS romance novels I've read. It was a cute little love story and the writing was pretty good too.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington
  • Ruth (Brides of the West, #5)
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • The Narrow Path
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • Delivered with Love
  • Finding Grace
  • Dawn of the Morning
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • The Visitor (The English Garden, #3)
  • Homefires
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • I Heart Bloomberg (86 Bloomberg Place, #1)

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has

Finders Keepers (2 books)
  • Hide & Seek