Start by marking “Your Voice, My Strength: and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Your Voice, My Strength: and Other Stories

Your Voice, My Strength: and Other Stories

Every tale in this delightful collection of short stories and flash fiction is a wonder ... sometimes compelling ... sometimes hopeful ... sometimes intriguing ... sometimes playful ... sometimes whimsical ... sometimes painful ... but always thought-provoking and insightful. The stories are as much for entertainment as they are a commentary on themes and issues relevant t ...more
Published January 22nd 2020 by Kwarts Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Your Voice, My Strength, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Voice, My Strength

Start your review of Your Voice, My Strength: and Other Stories
Azima Mohamed Patel
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of reading a collection of short stories penned by a local South African Muslim author Raashida Khan. ‘Your Voice, My Strength’ showcases the fighting spirit of a mother, who will always stand up for what’s best for her child. Amina’s story stays with you, as you ponder the power of love, and the strength it takes to stand up to abuse that was endured for so long. It gives courage to those who are in a similar situation to also take control and rise up.
The book is essentially
Fiona Snyckers
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
YOUR VOICE, MY STRENGTH and other stories, by Raashida Khan

One of the great pleasures of reading South African fiction in 2020 is the explosion of brilliant and nuanced voices emerging from every community.

Raashida Khan is the author of two previous novels - Mirror Cracked and Fragrance of Forgiveness. In this collection of short fiction she returns to themes of womanhood, creativity, and of love in all its various forms.

Khan is perhaps most compelling when she deals with the abuse of women and
Aysha
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed the short stories.
All stories were relatable and some really touched my heart and others tore at my heartstrings.
Some unsettled me and made me think what others are going through in their challenging lives.
Luckily some narrations had good endings. I'm a sucker for happy endings.
Loved the reality of the stories.
Great stuff Raashida
Fatuma Abdullah
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Raashida writes from a neutral point of view tackling the topics of love, mental health, women and family all immersed in her Muslim religion and Indian culture. The latter two make the stories authentic, its taking a peak into her world. The short stories unveil a range of topics women battle with on a daily basis like abuse both at home and the work place. "Your Voice My Strength is the most powerful story that begins with Amina applying makeup on her bruised cheek and the fact that she always ...more
Iza
May 03, 2020 added it
Raashida Khan’s Your Voice, My Strength is an eclectic collection of thoughts and ideas put together in ruminating tales.
My favourite is the third story, on which the title is based, and its collection of awards is well-deserved.
The 15 stories capture the imagination and the reader is drawn in thanks to the explicit detail and rhythm of each story.
Raashida’s opening lines are particularly strong, compelling the reader to discover what is about to unfold.
She writes across genres and shows her
Lebo Mopeli
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Your Voice, My Strength is an adventure of a book to read, Raashida lends such authenticity and texture to the detail of each story such as to transport one to the settings she paints. I found myself wanting to not finish reading it yet wanting to dive headlong into the next story. In this book Raashida also opens up to the reader about her writing process and how the story came about, this is so refreshing.
Most of the stories in Your Voice, My Strength feel like having a deep meaningful, soul
Ondeane Lourens
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a Muslim reader, I think they will thoroughly enjoy reading these short stories because they have quite a few about Muslim women, children and men. It was interesting seeing the culture from the point of view of a Muslim woman.

The fact that Raashida covered quite a few subjects that are difficult for anyone to face, especially, it seems; Muslims and still made it interesting, deserves a hand.

I also take my hat off to Raashida for writing about a child of a different race and culture to her o
Rafeeyah Hassim
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well done on an excellent collection of short stories! Worth the read.
Nirasha Harrysharan
marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2020
Duduzile Nkomazana
marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2021

• The Giver of Stars
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • Grown Ups
  • Charlotte
  • The Great Alone
  • Love in Row 27
  • The Hunting Party
  • If I Never Met You
  • Fat Girl (Romance in Rehoboth, #0.5)
  • The Dilemma
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur #1)
  • Fall from Grace (Foxblood, #3)
  • Kiss Me at Willoughby Close (Willoughby Close, #4)
  • The Story of Arthur Truluv (Mason, #1)
  • Rise of the Hellion (Foxblood, #2)
  • A Brush with the Moon (Foxblood, #1)
Raashida Khan is a content creator, author, poet, wife, mother and friend – a unicorn that does exist. As a caring, compassionate and empathetic person who loves observing people and life, she is a storyteller of note. She would like to be remembered as ‘never boring.’

She is 48 and was born in Durban (her favourite city), where she lived for twenty-seven years before moving to Johannesburg. She s

News & Interviews

Looking for some out-of-this-world reading this summer? Then we suggest taking a peek at these highly anticipated young adult books, all...