Start by marking “Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)” as Want to Read:
Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)

Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One

(Roughstock #1)

Jason Scott is at the top of the bull riding game, on his way to a winning season. Along with his traveling partner, Andy Baxter, he's riding hard on the circuit, working around the country with all of the other bull riders and bull fighters, living the good life. The only thing he wishes he had is Bax, but he's afraid to take the step that would make them more than friend ...more
ebook
Published 2007 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about Roughstock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roughstock

Start your review of Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
Meags
3 Stars

Blind Ride is a romance featuring two cowboys and best friends, Jason and Bax, as they begin a relationship while facing the harsh realities of new (and continuing) physical ailments they encounter due to their bodily taxing professions as bull-riders.

I enjoyed this quite a bit at the onset, immediately loving the tropes of cowboys and friends-to-lovers, and even appreciating the tasty dose of hurt-comfort themes that compelled the story and its characters forward.

Unfortunately, around
Daisiemae
Jason Scott and Andy Baxter have been best friends forever. Practically joined at the hip, they are both successful on the rodeo circut and even though they compete against one another, their friendship has always come first.

Jason and Andy fight the ongoing attraction they have for one another. They are affectionate and supportive and even willing kick the other person's ass to get them into shape, but they never act on their true feelings for one another.

Andy has been injured early on in the ro
Gabbi
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Male romance readers
Recommended to Gabbi by: Daisie
Shelves: hot-man-love, ebook
I loved Andy and Jason. They are truly meant to be with one another! I loved the determination of both characters and watching their relationship move from best friends to lover. It was great! I can't wait to read the next in the series!
Lindsay
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: M/M Romance Readers
Recommended to Lindsay by: Daisie's Review
I really liked this book. I thought the best friends before lovers scenerio was great. The accident just brought them closer together instead of drifting them apart. I loved that. Can't wait to read the next one!
Serena Yates
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, gay
Cowboys, bull riders, and rodeos are all part of a world that I love to read about. And BA Tortuga’s cowboys are extra-special as far as I’m concerned – they are rough, tough, and there’s not a bit of sappy even when they fall in love. I’m very happy the ’Roughstock’ books are being rereleased since that gives me an “excuse” to read all of them again. They were great the first time around, and it looks as though they’ll all be just as much fun the second time around. ‘Blind Ride’ is the first vo ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
I'm going to be honest, not mean. This read had two things I love, characters with disabilities who rise above the challenge & Cowboys. Overall it was a big miss for me and even more offending is it ended with a to-be-continued. Nope, don't care enough to find out how it ends.
See, I was nice about it.
Sandra
3.5 stars.

Jason Scott, aka Mini, and Andy Baxter, aka Bax, two bull-rider cowboys touring the rodeo circuit, have been bestest friends for years. There is underlying attraction between them, but neither is willing to act on those feelings. Lots of UST in this one. They joke and push each other to perform at their very best, competing against each other, with lots of friendly ribbing, but are also each other's support system.

Andy gets injured early on, and knows he won't be winning this time aro
Corinne
Feel like I just rode a bull myself. Up and down with this book. It had so much potential to be something incredible, but then it just bucked me off nigh on six seconds in.

First- it needs an editor. There's a note from the author at the front about how some editing was done and some ignored in a want to preserve writing style and Texas speech patterns. Now, that I can respect and understand. I'm from Texas. I get that we talk "diff'ernt", and for the most part - that's achieved. When some of the
**Kaycee**
Marlobo ♥ epilogues

I didn't have a lot of success connecting with the story, and I think that it was in large measure due to my struggle with a very slangy English for me, that I don't have English as mother tongue.

Still, there're some matters in the plot about which I want to know the outcome, so I'll go on with the series.
Clare O'Beara
If you are a man who fancies cowboys, or someone who fancies men who fancy cowboys, this is for you. As with the previous book I read by this author though, there's a lot of swearing. Every third word seems to be f- or a- while the men also seem peculiarly obsessed with their nipples. No man I know ever mentions his nipples.

A bull rider gets injured in the arena and loses his sight. Shortly afterwards his pal manages a broken leg and they go to recuperate on a ranch. Amazingly the lad who is bli
Elisa Rolle
Bax and Jason are buddy bull riders in the professional rodeo circuit. Bax is probably at the end of his career, since he has a bad knee that sooner or later will let him home, and instead Jason is the man of the moment, the winner of the day. In their private life, Bax and Jason have built a family of their own, Bax adopted Jason's mum, and Jason considers Bax almost a brother... or maybe something more. But day after day no one has the courage to make that step more into their relationship.

The
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Jason Scott and Andy Bax Baxter are best friends. They have been traveling the rodeo circuit together for the past six years. They have been hiding their attraction to the other for longer than that. All it takes is one ride gone bad and these two cowboys finds themselves at pivotal point in their lives. Things have changed for both of them and it is time for them to cowboy up and make the best of a bad situation. Together they will make this crossroads into a road to a new and vastly different ...more
Lily
In the first book of the Roughstock series we meet Jason Scott and Andy Baxter, fellow bull riders on the Rodeo circuit and also best friends. When a ride suddenly turns Jason's life upside down, it's Bax who must step up to the plate and help his friend "Mini" adjust to his new circumstances.

What I particularly liked about this book was that while we know that Mini and Bax are in love it's not something that's rushed and thrown right at the reader. There is a slow build up to their "getting it
Jayded
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-read
I loved this book. It was heart breaking to see Jason trying to deal with suddenly being blind. Not sure about the whole "you're eyes can see, your brain can't interpret" but I'm willing to suspend disbelief on that issue. My only problems were; it was almost impossible sometimes to tell who was speaking or thinking, and there were formatting issues, but that was due to my ereader, not the book itself.
Don Bradshaw
Smoothly written and touching story of Jason, a bull rider headed to the top of his career when he is blinded. All things considered, Jason dealt with his blindness after a grieving time due to the love and devotion of his friends. Bax and Jason made a good team as partners and lovers. Coke was my favorite character after Jason. He was the honest, steadfast friend who held things together when the ride got rocky. The ending was perfect and so very positive.
Natosha Wilson
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I set down yesterday and started reading this book. At first I thought I was not going to enjoy it but as it turns out I really did enjoy this book.

Jason is a bull rider and having a heck of a year. He is also in love with his best friend but has never told him or anyone else. Jason is at the top of his game and quickly leadin to becoming the National bull rider of the year but then a freak accident happens on one of his rides that leaves him blind.

Bax is also a bull rider and is Jason's best fr
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Texas just kinda seeped into my bones as I read it. So did Tortuga’s beautiful, damaged men. Bax and Jason’s relationship is pretty unique in fiction - unique and wonderfully special.

Best friends and professional bull riders, Jason and Bax don’t have words for their relationships and while no one really talks about it, everyone in their lives just loves them. No closets, no angst, no dramatic Texas homophobia. And it is pretty impossible not to love a cocky, champion bull rider wh
Dreamer80
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story even if sometimes it was a bit difficult to follow when the characters started to speak. It surely was a personal problem of mine with all the accent/slang, etc.
Mini is a bull rider and a very good one. His friend Bax, a guy that has been longing to have in his arms since forever, is always with him. The good thing is the Bax wants Mini as much as Mini wants him and they both know about it, but they never acted on it. When after a fall Mini loses his sight, everything c
Kara
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
So after reading this book I find myself more and more loving cowboy m/m romances. There is just something so hot about two cowboys together.
This book was sweet but also so hard for what Jason goes through.
Andy and Jason start out as friends who are professional bull riders, but that quickly becomes so much more after Jason's accident.
This is were I am going to tell you I really loved the two of them together. It was equal parts hot as well as sweet with how much they cared for each other.
Yo
Sherry Bohrmueller
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Blind Ride
M/M cowboys romance
4 stars

I was given this book by Inked Rainbow Reads for an honest review.

What's better than cowboys and romance, this book had both and it was a great story.
I loved how Andy and Jason were friends on the rodeo circuit and after some bad accidents they came together as lovers. It was built up very nicely.

I really liked the two of them together. I can't wait to read book 2 to find out how Come and Andy get Jason riding again.

Only thing I didn't like was the constant
Betryal
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it
It's not the best I've read, but it's not the worst either. It was an OK story, but I could still detect some of what had me not reading them in the first place. I'll admit that it wasn't as bad as the stories the deterred me away in the past and there were some differences to the writing structure. I just might check out the next following them sometime in the future.

Not wanting to be negative that's my review on this one with a little added positive.
Shee Reader
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Roughstock volume 1 and 2 by BA Tortuga

Reviewed by Shee Reader for Boy Meets Boy Reviews

Find us in the web at www.boymeetsboyreviews.com

Rating 4 hearts

Blurb:
Roughstock: Part One – a box set
1 - Blind Ride Jason Scott has everything a bull rider wants—success, money and traveling partner Andy Baxter. When he loses his sight in an accident, he stands to lose it all.
2 - And a Smile All Coke Pharris wants is for his cowboys to be safe—all of them. When rodeo clown, Dillon, sets to prove that there’s
Bo
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annoyingly Cute

B.A. Turtuga can drive me nuts with her plots, characters and dialogue. She has the uncanny ability to capture mostly rural people in their milieu without apology, and that includes either charming or infuriating the reader who does not have much experience with that society.

Jason and Andy and Jason's mom and their rodeo entourage put on two shows here: One between all of them, especially when Jason loses his sight in a bull riding accident; and the other between Jason (on the cov
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Less angst than I am used to in a BA Tortuga novel - wonderful characters and REALLY HOT sex but I wanted more sadness. LOL
Gerald Sessions
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life happens

Great story of friends both hiding feelings for the other. An accident brings them together. The idea of riding again gave them purpose. Would have liked to see that ride.
Jenn C
Mar 17, 2017 added it
I'm not sure how to rate this. The book was good but the storey just ends as you get to the point of seeing how things may work out. I'm sure that is to get you to move on to the next book, but the blurb for the next book just mentions Coke's storey. Not to mention looking at the number of books in the series - dang that's a lot of cliffhangers. I may give the next one a try just to see if Bax and Mini get their HEA.
Walford
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet fantasy about two bullriders who find love. Dialogue is great and charmingly Texan (as far as I can tell). Sex scenes are endearing too, until they become repetitive and too numerous.
Not much time at the rodeo, as events intervene, and it all takes place in a world completely free of homophobia. Should we move to Texas?
Got a little bored toward the end, so may not continue in the series, but definitely intend to check out Tortuga's other titles.
Donna
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, love-bytes
I reviewed a BA Tortuga book last year, and I have another one just waiting on my list that I’m really excited for. I’ve also read a couple more and I’ve enjoyed every one of them. When Blind Ride popped up on our review list I didn’t hesitate to claim it because I was craving some cowboys and I was sure this author would deliver. And deliver on the cowboys she did! This may be the most “cowboy” of any cowboy book I’ve ever read. But unfortunately, I just wasn’t feeling any intensity between the ...more

• His Hart's Command (Nothing Special, #6)
  • The Other Man (Starting Over, #2)
  • Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology, Volume 3
  • Rules to Break (Davey's Rules, #2)
  • Nothing Special V (Nothing Special, #5)
  • A Husband for Santa
  • Unexpected (Inked, #3)
  • Love You So Sweetly  (Love You So Stories #4)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Stay Lucky
  • Protected by Her Alphas (The Omega's Alphas #4)
  • A Dream of Daisies
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Ex Meridian (Nothing Special, #7)
  • Half Moon Above (Slate Mountain Wolf Pack #2)
  • No Going Home (Home, #1)
  • Feral
  • Dirty Deeds (Dirty Deeds, #1)
Texan to the bone and an unrepentant Daddy's Girl, BA Tortuga spends her days with her hounds and her beloved wife, texting her grandbabies, and eating Mexican food. When she's not doing that, she's writing. She spends her days off watching rodeo, knitting, and surfing Pinterest in the name of research. Following their own personal joys, BA and Julia heard the call of the high desert and they now ...more

Roughstock (9 books)
  • And a Smile - Season One (Roughstock, #2)
  • File Gumbo -Season One
  • Coke's Clown (Roughstock, #4)
  • Roughstock: Tag Team - Fais Do Do
  • Pulled from All Sides (Roughstock, #6)
  • Shutter Speed: The Seven of Pentacles (Roughstock, #7)
  • And a Smile - Coke's Clown (Roughstock, #8)
  • Roughstock: City/Country (Roughstock, #9)