Start by marking “Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)

Out of the Embers

(Mesquite Springs #1)

When a fire destroys the orphanage where she worked, Evelyn Radcliff flees to the Texas Hill Country with an orphan in tow and a killer in pursuit. Will a rugged horse rancher hold the key to her future--and her past?
Published March 3rd 2020 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Embers

Start your review of Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
Deanne Patterson
I've read and enjoyed all of Amanda Cabot's books over the years and am always excited to see when she has a new one publishing.
This is the first book in the Mesquite Springs series and it kept me turning pages so quickly.
Evelyn is a strong and faithful woman determined to make it in life despite so many things stacked against her in life.
She loses her parents to murder and then loses everything important to her again when the orphanage she works in is destroyed by fire when she's out running er
Staci
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Nice start to a new series set in the Texas Hill Country. Evelyn survived following the murder of her parents ten years prior. She has a wonderful heart and yearns to find something meaningful to do and in a town away from where the murders occurred. She lands in quaint Mesquite Springs which is full of lovely characters and a villain or two.
Karen R
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good clean historical romance set in the 1850's among the bluebonnet covered hills of Texas.
Fans of Tracie Peterson and Maggie Brendan will likely enjoy this fresh start to a new series. It has the feel of a coming of age story with a bit of mystery.
The main characters are solid young adults, both looking for help in finding their life course, while holding down responsibilities thrust on them through difficult circumstances. Faith plays a minor role in the story, but influences their choice
Christine
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to read a book by Amanda Cabot for awhile now because they all seem to have stellar reviews! So, when I had the opportunity to get a copy of Out of the Embers, I was really hoping I'd be able to get a copy.

Taking place in the 1850s, Out of the Embers is a clean, historical, Christian romance that was an absolute delight to read!

Filled with just the right amount of intrigue and romance, I'm so glad that I got a chance to read this one!

Amanda Cabot is an amazing writer. She has n
Jypsy
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell and was under no obligation to post a review.

Out Of The Embers
Mesquite Springs Book One
By: Amanda Cabot

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
Out Of The Embers is the first of a new series, Mesquite Springs, by Amanda Cabot. This story is about a young woman, Evelyn, a little orphan girl, Polly, and a rancher, Wyatt, in Texas circa 1855. Evelyn and Polly flee from the remnants of their burned down orphanage home. As the only survivors, Evelyn feels like a target be
Loraine
This first book in Cabot's debut series Mesquite Springs was enjoyable from start to finish. It is set in the Hill country of Texas on a horse ranch in the fictional town of Mesquite Springs. Evelyn Radcliffe started out life in an orphanage as both her parents were murdered while she was hiding under the bed. The killer was apprehended, but Evelyn always felt fearful. As she grew older, the cooking skills she had learned from her mother led her to become the cook for the orphanage. When she is ...more
Hannah
3.5 stars, rounded up

Overall I enjoyed the story. However, I had to continually attempt to start the book and finally made it past the first 50 pages on the third attempt. It could very well simply be my reading mood this month—slow and hiccuppy—and that everyone else will completely fall in love with the book. There wasn’t anything wrong with the writing; I simply didn’t get swept off my feet by it.

I really enjoyed the MC and her young companion, Polly. (I hope book 3 is about Polly.) I wasn’t
Kav
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been doing a lot of armchair time-traveling to Regency England lately so I thought it was time to shake things up and head west. Out of the Embers seemed like the perfect place to dive into a classic western romance and I was definitely captivated by this audible 'read'.

Love the added thrill of mystery and danger and the way Cabot keeps it simmering on the back burner until it all comes boiling over at the end. I'd still categorize this novel as more historical romance than suspense, thoug
Linda Klager
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the name of the book was so appropriate. Evelyn and Polly's life was saved from flames (or embers) when the orphanage where they were living burned down.

I was very much attracted to the book by the beautiful cover of a young woman in the 19th century looking over the beautiful Hill Country of Texas. I love Bluebonnets, the State Flower of Texas and am glad that the author included them on the cover. I have visited fields of bluebonnets and love their color and fragrant scent.

The main c
Maureen Timerman
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This story quickly became a page turner, we are shown characters with so much hate, greed, and total disregard for human life. Also we are give a character, Evelyn Radcliff, who takes a little orphan girl under her wing, gives her love and makes her her own.
This is Evelyn's and Polly's journey, and we are enriched by some of the people put in their path, but we see a side of evil that is horrible.
The author gives us a little bit of sweet romance, people who open their homes to complete stranger
Amanda Tero
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time to try Amanda Cabot. It was clean. It was sweet. It was western. And it had a hint of mystery.

Thinking back over the book as a whole, I really can't say what the spiritual plot or message was. They were Christians and prayed (particularly when difficulty arose), but though the MC had to learn to accept safety and trust, it wasn't really a Christian message so much as it was her circumstances that changed. So, I'd have to say it was kind of weak in that area.

The romance wo
Patricia Bradley
Have you ever read a book that weeks later, you're still thinking about? Well, that's the way I feel about Amanda Cabot's Out of the Embers. Cabot does such a good job of setting you in the Hill Country of Texas. I really want to travel there one day when the bluebonnets are blooming like the way they were in the story! And her characters. Wyatt Clark is the kind of man that is every woman's secret wish! Strong, rugged-looking, honest, and vulnerable. And that he works with horses is just icing ...more
Madison
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, historical
Out of the Embers is a charming historical Christian romance. Despite the historical setting, it’s quite modern from the female-empowerment positive messages and the independence of our female main character Evelyn. With a touch of mystery and a looming threat that overhangs the characters, the climax was a little suspenseful, but overall this is an easy book to read and enjoy.

When the orphanage destroys the only friends and home Evelyn has, she and the only other survivor run for their lives an
Asheley
I flew through it today while staying inside for social distancing. This is the perfect story to read at a time like this because it is heartwarming and stress-free, and the characters are so likable. I felt like I could visualize everything in my head just like a movie, which made the experience even better.

The story takes place in 1850's Texas in the Hill Country. Wyatt runs a horse ranch and lives there with his mother and sister. Evelyn is new to town after fleeing her old town when her hom
Virginia Campbell
Noted historical romance author Amanda Cabot begins her "Mesquite Springs Series" with "Out of the Embers"--an involving and inspiring love story set in 1850's Texas Hill Country. With added elements of mystery and suspense, this intriguing tale features well-drawn characters and the timeless appeal of the rustic Old West era. For over a decade, Evelyn Radcliffe had been haunted by the murders of her parents when she was just thirteen years old. She had found refuge in an orphanage, and all thes ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
When I started this book, I was quickly immersed in the characters, scenery, and even the mystery that is dangled in front of the reader with only tidbits revealed here and there to keep the reader engaged and on the edge of their seats.

There was so much to like about this book I don't know where to start!  The setting is the Texas Hill Country which is beautiful today, I can only imagine what it was like when this book was set.  Rolling hills painted with bluebonnets in the spring....sigh, a pl
Rebecca
"Oh God, what should I do?"

Devasted after finding the only home she has known for the past ten years reduced to ashes, Evelyn Radcliffe flees Logansville, Texas with a young orphaned girl who has become like a sister to her. Travelling with Polly for days on end with no particular destination in mind brings them to the outskirts of Mesquite Springs, where Evelyn finally feels a sense of peace, for she has spent the past ten years looking over her shoulder, sensing danger lurking just around the
Dee/ bookworm
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#OutOfTheEmbers #NetGalley

Evelyn's parents were murdered ten years ago. While selling lace and buying supplies in a nearby town, someone burns down the orphanage where she had been staying since that fateful night. Evelyn has felt like she has been being watched every time she journeys to this town. Is the Watcher trying to finish the job he started a decade ago?

This book was unexpectedly wonderful. There was a web created, but is it the web you think is being created? Filled with so many facets
Ibjoy1953
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

It’s the 1850’s Texas and Evelyn Radcliffe needs to run some errands for turn orphanage she has lived in for the past 10 years. Wanting to go with her, she decides to take six year old Polly with her. They returned back to the an orphanage of ruins after a fire had swept through. Was this arson? Was Evelyn suppose to die in the fire like her parents did. Was someone after her? Find out when you read this historical fiction by Amanda Cabot.

This story starts out quite sad,
My first foray into fiction—aside from fantasy—was historical romance. As a youth, I devoured everything written by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Louisa May Alcott, and L.M. Montgomery I could find. Later, I graduated to the more adult works of Francine Rivers and Liz Curtis Higgs. Why am I rambling about other authors? Because upon reading Out of the Embers, I now consider Amanda Cabot to have well-earned her place in the upper echelons of legacy authors. I could not find a single flaw with her work. O ...more
Ruthie Jones
"You need to be strong to survive losing everything."

It is hard to imagine any book by Amanda Cabot not being a sure-fire winner. Out of the Embers is the first book in the Mesquite Springs series, and what a beginning!

Evelyn Radcliffe was orphaned ten years after her parents were brutally murdered, and she lives in constant fear that the killer will one day finish the job and kill her too. The orphanage near Gilmorton, Texas, has been her safe haven as an orphan and now an employee, but when tw
June Jacobs
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! This is the first book I have read by Author Amanda Cabot, and I am definitely a fan of her beautiful writing style and her assortment of consequential characters.

Out of the Embers is set in 1855 Texas mostly in the small town of Mesquite Springs. From the opening lines of the book a reader feels Evelyn Radner's anxiety, fear, and dread about being watched by what we would today probably label a stalker.

Layer by layer the truth about Evelyn's past and the past of her six-year
Lorilei Gonzales
Let me begin by saying that I adore Amanda Cabot books and was so excited to receive this copy of Out of the Embers. When I got my first glance at the cover, I sighed in deep appreciation of the soothing colors, the lovely girl, and the beautiful expanse of bluebonnets on either side of a wagon-worn road. The picturesque cover promised me a happy ending to the bleak beginning of a young woman and small girl’s escape from a devastating fire.

On the surface, Cabot’s writing can sometimes seem formu
Ariel Hess
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion. I was provided a copy of this book from Lone Star Literary Life partner in exchange for my honest review. The comments in this review do not reflect the views of the author or the publisher. The copies used in this review are finalized copies sent to me in exchange for my honest review. #partner #LSBBT

In this first installment of a new Christian Historical Fiction series, Cabot dives into the realm of historical fiction. The author does a phenomenal
Gretchen
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult - Adult
Out of the Embers, by Amanda Cabot, is a five-star-plus historical fiction book. The characters are engaging, the plot has twists and turns to intrigue the reader, and the ending leaves the reader more than satisfied.
After all the occupants of her orphanage die in a horrific fire, twenty-three-year-old Evelyn flees with a young girl to escape the person who wants them dead. The girls travel west until they are stranded in a storm and rescued by a Wyatt, a single rancher.
I appreciate characters
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: revell, review
Beginning a new series always evokes a special joy, and as nice as it is when all of the books have been published and can be read back-to-back, there is a certain thrill that comes with following each book as it first releases. This feeling is augmented when the author is new, either to the writing world itself or to the individual reader. Such proved to be the case with “Out of the Embers” by Amanda Cabot, whose work I have hitherto not had the opportunity to read. What immediately appealed to ...more
Lisa Johnson
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs #1)
Author: Amanda Cabot
Pages: 336
Year: 2020
Publisher: Revell
My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.
Out of the Embers marks the beginning of a new series set in Mesquite Springs, Texas in 1855. The two main characters of this story are Wyatt Clark, the owner of a horse ranch, and Evelyn Radcliffe, a young woman on the run. There is an interesting supporting cast of characters, one of which will be the main characters in book two of the series.
Evelyn Radcliffe has
Em
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone was watching.

I was immediately caught! Thanks to Amanda Cabot's hook of an opening line, I was involved in Evelyn's story from the first sentence. Out of the Embers is the first book in Cabot's new Mesquite Springs series and follows orphan Evelyn Radcliffe from the destruction of the orphanage she called home to the home that was meant for her.

Ten years after her parents were killed, Evelyn must start all over when her orphanage home is destroyed by fire. Who set the blaze that killed t
Erin Cataldi
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Charming, romantic, and light; Out of the Embers is the first in a new inspirational series, Mesquite Springs. Evelyn and six year old Polly are in town getting supplies when the orphanage they both live in burns down killing everyone inside. It's horrific and upsetting. Since her parents murder ten years ago, Evelyn is sure that someone is out to find her and finish the job. What will happen when they discover that she wasn't really in the orphanage when it burnt down? She takes Polly with her ...more
Faye
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evelyn loses everything a second time, when her refuge and workplace is burned down. When she was young her parents were murdered. Afraid that someone is watching her, she flees with the only other survivor, a young girl named Polly, to Mesquite Texas.

Wyatt Clark is a horse trainer and rancher, who takes Evelyn and Polly under his wing, offering them sanctuary on his ranch, where he lives with his mother and sister.

Wyatt's family welcome Evelyn and Polly with open arms, making them feel right
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Life Once Dreamed
  • Secrets of My Heart (Willamette Brides, #1)
  • What Momma Left Behind
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • Nothing Short of Wondrous (American Wonders #2)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • A Dazzle of Diamonds (Georgia Coast Romance #3)
  • The Traitor's Pawn
  • Chasing the White Lion (Talia Inger, #2)
  • An Appalachian Summer
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers, #1)
  • Woman of Sunlight (Brides of Hope Mountain, #2)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • A Reckless Love (Daughtry House, #3)
  • Tidewater Bride
  • The Way of Love (Willamette Brides, #2)
With both parents avid readers, it's no surprise that Amanda Cabot learned to read at an early age. From there it was only a small step to deciding to become a writer. Of course, deciding and becoming are two different things, as she soon discovered. Fortunately for the world, her first attempts at fiction were not published, but she did meet her goal of selling a novel by her thirtieth birthday. ...more

Mesquite Springs (2 books)
  • Dreams Rekindled (Mesquite Springs, #2)