Start by marking “Let the Ghosts Speak” as Want to Read:
Let the Ghosts Speak

Let the Ghosts Speak

Let the ghosts speakbut will the sane heed their counsel?

In 19th century Paris, Justin Trotter, an immigrant from England, is making his way as a book translator while paying for his blind twin sisters care. One evening, Marc Noël, Justins well-to-do friend and fellow thespian, invites him to a masquerade party at an abandoned schoolhouse. Justin hopes this will be an
Expected publication: April 15th 2020 by Mountain Brook Fire

To ask other readers questions about Let the Ghosts Speak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let the Ghosts Speak

Start your review of Let the Ghosts Speak
Alyssa Roat
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved Bryan Davis's work, but this one I honestly think is his best so far. The setting is wonderful, the characters complex and captivating, and tone beautifully literary while also keeping you on the edge of your seat.
Tracey Dyck
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If youve been around my blog/GR account for a while, you probably know one of my longtime favorite authors is Bryan Davis. His books first lifted me on the wings of dragons when I was twelve or thirteen, and Ive been following his writing ever since. (Wow, I guess thats half my life.)

So when I got the chance to read his latest book early and provide a review, you bet I jumped on it! Unlike many of his previous books, there are no dragons to be found here. But there are ghosts. And plot twists.
There are times I feel like I've seen it all when it comes to the speculative fiction book world. When I am heavily convinced of the idea that there's nothing truly original anymore and the best books are merely those that best repackage the usual tropes. Then I read one of Bryan Davis's books and I realize that creativity and uniqueness are far from dead and Davis is somehow getting a double dose of both. The results can be weird, I'll admit. This book is weird. But given that this is the same ...more
Autumn Grayson (Author)
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hello everyone. Recently I was given the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Let The Ghosts Speak is a mystery story set in 19th century Paris. The protagonist is Justin Trotter, an orphaned English immigrant doing his best to provide for himself and his little sister. Justins faced tragic circumstances before, but he endures far worse after attending a party where his friends mother is found dead. Unfortunately, Justin is a prime suspect, and must navigate ghostly entities
James
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, crime-novels
A haunting tale of murder and betrayal set in 19th century France.

The story has a framing device of a detective investigating a vicious crime, and a narrator sharing a tale in his own defense. Much like Till We Have Faces (C.S. Lewis), the narrator's perspective colors the facts and leaves the reader wondering how much is entirely true, and how much the narrator has misinterpreted.

For those familiar with the author, this is much deeper and artistic than his usual offerings. He's written many
Alyssa
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let the Ghosts Speak is a perfect blend of supernatural and historical (I KNOW), bringing in some well-known historical figures as ... yup ... ghosts. Shocking, I know. Anyways, I absolutely loved the feel of the book and how there was a balance between the historical and the supernatural - which is something that we all love. It takes place in Paris in the 1800s and I just absolutely adored the setting. Definitely a perfect setting for the book! (ahem. catacombs.)

Justin Trotter is our narrator.
Miralee
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come...
Victoria Howell
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is Bryan Davis's dream book to write! A unique tale!
Shannon McDermott
Joseph Brink
Katie
CC
Mar 31, 2020

• One Woman Falling (Whispers of Grace, #1)
  • A Latte Difficulty (The CafFUNated Mysteries #3)
  • Love's Labour's Lost
  • Epic: The Story God Is Telling and the Role That Is Yours to Play
  • Uncharted Stars
  • Jessie's Hope
  • The Paradise Protocol (Intergalaxia #1)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • The Xerxes Factor (Intergalaxia #2)
  • The Terran Summit (Intergalaxia #3)
  • Runaway Romance
  • The Old Man and the Sea
  • Golden Son (Red Rising, #2)
  • The Vault Between Spaces
  • Dutch & English on the Hudson: A Chronicle of Colonial New York (Chronicles of America #7)
Bryan Davis is the author several speculative-fiction series, including Dragons in Our Midst, Oracles of Fire, Children of the Bard, The Reapers Trilogy, The Time Echoes Trilogy, Tales of Starlight, and Dragons of Starlight.

Bryan lives in western Tennessee with his wife, Susie. Bryan and Susie have homeschooled their four girls and three boys.

Bryan was born in 1958 and grew up in the eastern U.S.