Start by marking “Thud! (Discworld, #34)” as Want to Read:
Thud! (Discworld, #34)

Thud!

(Discworld #34)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  60,104 ratings  ·  1,636 reviews
It's a game of Trolls and Dwarfs where the player must take both sides to win ...

It's the noise a troll club makes when crushing in a dwarf skull, or when a dwarfish axe cleaves a trollish cranium ...

It's the unsettling sound of history about to repeat itself ... THUD!

It's the most extraordinary, outrageous, provocative, insightful, and keenly cutting flight of fancy yet
Hardcover, First Edition, 373 pages
Published September 13th 2005 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Thud!, please sign up.
Nicholas Boyson I have read the Discworld books in series, however I think you can read the sub series in each of their order. However I have noticed, especially…moreI have read the Discworld books in series, however I think you can read the sub series in each of their order. However I have noticed, especially later in the series, there are always references that happened in the earlier books, even outside of the sub series but they don't have impact on the story. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Wayne Jordaan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  60,104 ratings  ·  1,636 reviews

Start your review of Thud! (Discworld, #34)
Nataliya
2016 edit:

On my reread #8 (!) I still can't help but marvel at the heap of awesome this book is. Undoubtedly the absolute high of Pratchett's writing. This is the book that does not seem likely to lose its relevance in the world like ours, where, sadly, we see the thriving of the hatred and prejudice and insistence on fixating on what separates us from each other fueled by the waves of bigoted populism.

Maybe it will get better one day.

----------------
"What kind of creature defines itself by
Tim
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good listen from the stress of drama by the late Sir Terry Pratchett. 7 of 10 stars
Lyn
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam Vines is one of the greatest examples of leadership that can be found amongst any of the SF/F protagonists in the past 50 years.

Pratchetts main character of his City Watch sub-series, Commander of the Watch Sam Vines, Duke of Ankh-Morpork, who arose from the captain of the night watch, who used to give part of his monthly check to the widows and orphans of fallen watchmen, is again at center stage in this the 34th Discworld novel first published in 2006 and good enough to get a nomination
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2020-shelf
Jeeze, every time I read a Discworld novel, it's always like coming back to a very funny home full of angry dwarves and pissed trolls doing their best to get drunk and start a war over some ancient grudge that no one alive actually understands.

In other words, like Thanksgiving Dinner.

Or something like that.

Indeed, it's actually a police procedural with the glorious Vimes as he tries to stop another civil war on the streets of Ankh-Morpork the best way he can... by cutting through all the red
Ms. Smartarse
Watch Commander Sam Vimes has had just about enough of Koom Valley. It has always been a contentious subject with both dwarves and trolls, but these days even the mere thought of it has become dangerous. Add in a suspicious murder, and the Commander of the City Watch is rightly expecting a full-blown reenactment of legendary battle to take place at any moment.

Lord Vetinari on the other hand, seems much more concerned with the lack of vampire coppers, and the lack of proper financial audit of the
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

The war between the dwarfs and the trolls was a battle of natural forces, like the war between the wind and the waves. It had a momentum of its own.

It's origins are hidden in the mists surrounding the mythical Koom Valley, a place where each side is accusing the other of treacherous ambush, but its recent manifestation has moved to Ankh-Morpork, courtesy of the city's new policies of welcoming immigrants.

Pretty soon some people will be saying: Who let all these dwarfs in here? They undermine
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, discworld
And yet we say this. Here is the cave at the end of the world, peace is made between dwarf and troll, and we will march beyond the hand of Death together. For the enemy is not Troll, nor is it Dwarf, but it is the baleful, the malign, the cowardly, the vessels of hatred, those who do a bad thing and call it good...

So here we have another City Watch/Discworld book with a poignant story full of humour, bile, tension, excitement and full of SAM VIMES, who is...., but you probably know by now
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2020.

The anniversary of the Battle of Koom Valley is approaching, and tensions between the dwarf and troll populations of Ankh-Morpork are escalating quickly. And this leaves Commander Samuel Vimes and the Watch with a difficult job. A job that only gets worse when one of the dwarf community leaders who is stirring up much of the trouble turns up dead deep under the city with a troll club next tot he body.

This is very much a book
Melki
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The fighting doesn't start until Koom Valley Day. That's tomorrow."

"Damn, I lost track. Will it affect us down here?"

Bashfullsson coughed politely. "I don't think so, Commander. This area is too dangerous to fight in."

"Well, yes, I can see it would be terrible if anyone got hurt," said Vimes, climbing over a long heap of rotting timber. "That would spoil the day for everyone."

While the main mystery of this one - a dwarf is apparently murdered by a troll - didn't interest me much, there are
Richard
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
8/10

Another sterling effort by Sir Pratchett and a solid entry into the Watch sub-series. I feel like Im being a bit like a broken record when reviewing these books; theyre all well written, filled with humour (some more than others), great characters and overall a great character development arc (again, some more than others. Has Nobby really changed since the first novel, not really). But the repetition doesnt impact the overall enjoyment, Ive found this series filled with great moments
Grace
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Samuel Vimes, to me, is the most fascinating character in the discworld series - to watch his growth from a disillusioned drunkard in Guards! Guards! up till the current book - fatherhood! I enjoyed it tremendously. I also enjoyed the idea of having the next generation - with young Sam and Tiffany Aching, and trying to imagine little half-werewolf-half-human-brought-up-as-half-dwarf babies... i truly want to get a peek into the future and see what lies in store for the discworld and ...more
Esme
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Taking off my Granny Weatherwax hat - this has to be one of the best Discworld novels ever written even though during my first read throughs as a younger person the Watch series didn't resonate with me the way it does now. The more I read Discworld, the more my perspectives on each of the characters changed.

There's a scene in this book that had my heart pounding with the AMAZING trek Sam does through the underworld of the Dwarves.

Holy, shit. If you've read a few discworld books and you're not
Karin
Commander Sam Vimes (do not make the mistake of calling him by his married title of Duke!) is back with is fabulous coppers on the City Watch, along with a both an inspector who has come to see if the larger watch is worth the money, and the first vampire lance-constable. Murder and mayhem are not only once more the (dis)order of the day, but trouble is brewing more than ever between trolls and dwarfs as the annual Koom Valley day approaches. This was the day of a historic battle between trolls ...more
YouKneeK
Thud! is the seventh book in the Watch subseries of Discworld. Tensions have always been high between the dwarves and the trolls. Now a dwarf has been murdered in Ankh-Morpork, and it looks like a troll might have been responsible.

As with the previous Watch book, it focuses heavily on Vimes, but he continues to be far more likeable than he was earlier in the series so Im continuing to warm up to him. The story itself didnt really stand out from the previous books. Yes, it does a good job of
Kaethe Douglas
November 17, 2005

"Is that my cow?" I particularly like the side of Vimes who is such a good parent that regardless of what else he must contend with, he makes it a point to be there to read the bedtime book. I'm only sorry my Offspring are too old for the cow book.

Chris Gottlieb
Sometimes you gotta shut up and pay attention: Sorry, but when you've entertained, amused and jollied up an entire worldful of sapient entities, you *have* to be allowed every now and then to get a bit serious.

Depends on what makes you laugh, I suppose, but this is not *meant* to be a funny book. Pratchett is doing really serious, relevant and overtly political stuff here. The "funny bits" are no more than the comic relief in the best Shakespearean tradition.

Parallels are everywhere here.
Kirsten
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the review quotes on the back of this book says something like, "Terry Pratchett's books are almost always better than they need to be." I think this is a pretty good assessment. If Pratchett's books were nothing more than humorous fluff, I would probably still read and enjoy them, but the added depth of character that he brings to his novels is what keeps me reading them over and over again.

In this enstallment, we find Sam Vimes trying to once again bring a semblance of peace to the
Helen 2.0
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really love Douglas Adams, and Thud! book came almost as close to my heart as the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Like Douglas, Pratchett is insanely good at saying the most ridiculous things while sounding totally reasonable and stoically serious.
I especially liked the way Thud! focused on Commander Vimes for the most part but went off on tangents with the characters surrounding him. Tawnee, Angua, Brick, and Sybil were all awesome to hear from and kept the book from slipping into boring.
Olga Godim
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
A terrific novel. Its part of the City Watch sub-series, and of course, Sam Vimes, the commander of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, is the protagonist. In this novel, he faces a serious crisis. The city streets thrum with unrest. The dwarves and trolls are ready to turn the entire city into a battlefield. The anniversary of the Koom Valley is approaching.
What was Koom Valley? As all of the Discworld know, it is the site of an historic battle between trolls and dwarves. It happened hundreds of
Althea Ann
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that this is my favorite Discworld novel that I've read so far! (And I've read quite a few of them.)
This one transcends the one-note satire that many of the Discworld books feature (each one takes on a certain topic - this one has a theme of racial tolerance). This installment of the series also pokes gentle fun at the mystery genre - but, while doing so, is itself a quite good mystery novel!
It actually kicks the crap out of any of the glut of 'paranormal investigation' novels that
Kathleen
4.5 stars. Great addition to the Discworld "City Watch" sub-series (books listed in order below). THUD features Commander Sam Vimes, Corporal Carrot, and the whole City Watch -- humans, trolls, werewolves, dwarfs, etc.

Happy to say, the story includes several vivid and heartwarming scenes with Sam's wife Sybil, their one-year-old son Sam, and their resourceful butler, Willikins. Throughout this book there's a theme of promise-keeping. Daddy (Commander Sam Vimes) never breaks his word to his
Ric
War, Nobby. Huh! What is it good for?
Dunno, Sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?
Absol-well okay.
Defending yourself against a totalitarian aggressor?
All right, Ill grant you that, but-
Saving civilization from a horde of-
It doesnt do any good in the long run is what Im saying Nobby, if youd listen for five seconds together.

Yes, that is real text from this book, and if youve ever read anything Sir Terry has written that isnt really surprising. His writing style contains fantastic humor weaved into
Angela Blount

Shoes, men, coffins; never accept the first one you see.

This is my first true experience with Terry Pratchet, and Im left with the impression that he is (and was) to the fantasy genre what Douglas Adams was to sci-fi. That is to say expansively clever, decidedly British, and not prone to taking himself too seriously. The man was a brilliant writer and masterful storytellerof that Im convinced. The following review will reflect this particular Discworld book only

Samuel Vimes, the no-nonsense
Lightreads
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most recent Watch novel. My very favorite Discworld arc, so I've doled them out carefully to myself over the past few years. This one lives up and then some. Sam Vimes and his men coppers face civil unrest as racial tensions flare between the dwarves and the trolls. Meanwhile a mysterious museum theft may have surprising consequences, there's been a murder, and Vimes must get home by six to read "Where's My Cow?" to his son.

It's a Watch novel either you know why it's awesome and you're already
Fiona
Oh, he's good. He's very good. Sam Vimes and the City Watch is the only Discworld arc that I don't think I've ever tired of two thirds of the way through a book, and I'm so glad I picked this one up. It's a very well-crafted whodunnit, with a rich and complicated backdrop and a well-rounded and thoroughly interesting cast. The pace is spot on. The parallels to the real world, and the Serious Issues, while undeniably serious and difficult, are not particularly in-your-face or preachey. Well, may ...more
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, humor, favorites
The Guards novels in the Discworld series are my favorites, and Thud! is maybe my second favorite of the Guards novels. Maybe third. Maybe first. It depends on the day. I love this one enough that I have trouble articulating why it's my second/third/first favorite. The heart of the story, the truth about Koom Valley, strikes me as a powerful narrative about prejudice and hatred and how easy it is to write ourselves a story that fits our preconceived ideas about the world and the people who live ...more
Dani Dányi
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trolls and dwarves don't get along. at least so tradition holds. The big city tends to blur these ethnic-cultural traditions, but some will always make it their business to keep stirring the plot...
In the sprawling Discworld series, the Watch books are a subplot of hardboiled crime fiction, through the eyes (and noses etc) of Ankh-Morpork's City Watch. Thud! throws us into the thick of it, with big-city intercultural tensions, deep darkness, politics and policing, as well as boundless in-jokes,
Sylvester
I'm realizing yet another flaw in this book rating system. So, for instance, this is not my favorite of Pratchett's books, although I enjoyed it a lot, BUT, this is Terry Pratchett. Terry Pratchett. Now Terry Pratchett in my estimation is a 5* writer at the worst of times and deserves credit for it. So I wish I had a two-tiered rating system or something. I would give Terry Pratchett 5*, and this particular book 3*, if you see what I'm getting at.
All that aside, after reading this, I am more
Wastrel
How pleasing is Thud!? Well, it depend what you're looking for.
If you're looking for the next chapter in the story of our beloved characters in the Watch, it's pretty disappointing. Far too much of what we are given here feels like repetition from earlier novels, and much of the rest is ultimately trivial and goes nowhere. Neither the characters nor the themes here are substantially advanced from previous installments, and as a result I was deeply disappointed when I first read this. I had been
Marina
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, own
Play Book Tag: [Poll Ballot] Thud! by Terry Pratchett 4 stars 1 12 Jan 04, 2020 08:50AM
Dwarf vs. Troll 12 129 Oct 07, 2013 01:43AM

• Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Star Trek: Tales from the Captain's Table
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy
  • Horgonyhely
  • Aurelian (The Horus Heresy Novella)
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Nomad Core (Core Control Book 2)
  • Ars Magica, Fifth Edition (Ars Magica RPG Core Rules, #5)
  • The Human Touch: Our Part in the Creation of a Universe
  • From Survival to Recovery
  • Living with an Alcoholic: With the Help of Al-Anon
  • Minstrel's Bargain
  • Weird Noir

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)