Start by marking “Nur du hast den Schlüssel (Johnny Maxwell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Nur du hast den Schlüssel (Johnny Maxwell, #3)

Nur du hast den Schlüssel

(Johnny Maxwell #3)

Mrs. Tachyon gehört nicht zur Sorte der Personen, die man sich einlädt, wenn man's gemütlich haben will. Doch als Johnny Maxwell und seine Freunde die alte Dame bewusstlos in einer schmalen Gasse auffinden, müssen sie irgend etwas tun...Und langsam dämmert es Johnny, dass Mrs. Tachyon gar nicht die giftige alte Schachtel ist, für die sie jeder hält. Es scheint, als besitze ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Goldmann Verlag (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Nur du hast den Schlüssel, please sign up.
Ruysan The reader finally finds out that there is a place (in time) where you can have fish and chips for a sixpence and still get change.
Ruysan Johnny goes back home in the new leg of the trousers of time where people didn't die because of bombs dropped on a street in his hometown.

Melissa McShane
This third volume in the Johnny Maxwell trilogy is the most ambitious, tackling the subject of time travel in a funny and at the same time thoughtful way. Johnny and his friends find the bag lady Mrs. Tachyon apparently mugged on the street, and in getting her medical care are stuck with her shopping cart full of squishy, disturbingly motile garbage bags. The thing is, her bags are apparently stuffed with Time, and in messing with them, Johnny and Kirsty (who keeps changing her name) and then th ...more
Dane Cobain
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always been a fan of Terry Pratchett’s Johnny Maxwell series – they were written and published during what I’d consider to be his golden years, and what’s interesting about the Johnny Maxwell books is that they’re set in our reality.

In this book, Johnny and his friends take a trip back in time after finding a magic, time-travelling trolley that belongs to the local bag lady. That allows Pratchett to experiment with genre, by writing a sort of realistic fantasy, which has some grounding in h
Nikki
It's Terry Pratchett's doing, so of course it's fun. It plays around with the idea of time travel in a way that doesn't break my brain too much, which I can accept easily enough to drag me along for the ride. I'm told it's not the first book in the series, though, and it shows: I would probably have cared more if, well, I'd already cared.

I'm not really sure what to say about it. I was quite excited to get a Terry Pratchett book on my course, but now I've got it, I don't think I'm going to write
Milou
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
B.  Barron
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beware the trousers of time.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Today I am revisiting my very first blogs posts here and on my other blog Randomly Reading. It isn't because I haven't been reading, I have actually read lots of blogable books lately. I just thought it would be fun to see this again. And I still love it as much now as I did on all subsequent readings of it.

So here's what I wrote on June 11, 2010:

Life isn’t terribly exciting in Blackbury, England in 1996 until 21 May 1941, the night of the Blackberry Blitz and the destruction of Paradise Street,
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Pratchett has covered a lot of ground in this trilogy: aliens and war, ghosts and our connections to our past, and time-travel and, um, war again.

Perhaps it's because, as I said in my review for Johnny and the Dead. I would pick ghosts over aliens - or time-travel - or perhaps that story just resonated more for me for some other reason, but it as definitely my favorite of the lot. I think this one would come in second.

It didn't quite have the same level of humor or pathos has the second book,
Lolliepop
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Like it!

Best quote:

"When all else failed, she tried being reasonable.”
Magda
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Millenium hand and shrimp!
Trish
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have given this the highest rating out of the trilogy as it was fleshed out more. The story, again, follows Johnny and his friends.

The mini-history lesson is done well and explained in terms where children can understand and follow.

I enjoyed all of the friends but Kirsty. Her "intelligence" just has her appear snobbish. Also, she doesn't seem to learn anything to grow. I especially enjoyed when Yo-less put her in her place. Granted, they are children, but she was very unlikable. On top of th
Marko Radosavljevic
Pročitavši ovo,zalim što se Pračet nije više bavio naukom u svojim delima.Objašnjenje vremensko-prostornog paradoksa je na granici između fikcije i suve nauke,fenomenalno dočarano.
Kristy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is pretty odd and difficult to follow at times. Time travel is like that I suppose. It is a fun story
Paul
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and final Johnny Maxwell book although I wasn't aware until after I'd got part way through. Luckily the books read as stand alones featuring recurring characters and the only thing that progresses in a chronological order is the situation happening behind the closed door of Johnny's home.
There were still some social comments that gave food for thought in this one, how racism is treated and its use has changed over the years (some would say not a lot these days) and how events from the
Jared
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The third book in Terry Pratchett's Johnny Maxwell series starts out with a bang. Literally. A bomb has fallen in the midst of Johnny's city. But the bomb dropped in World War II. Johnny discovers the history of the bomb and can't stop thinking about the people affected by it. One of the people affected by it ends up in Johnny's time -- the local bag lady, who is so mentally and temporally displaced that sometimes her body follows along.

Johnny and one of his friends help the lady get to the hosp
Aidan O'malley
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Johnny and the bomb," by Terry Pratchett, is a superb book about a young boy, Johnny, who mysteriously wakes up over forty years before he was even born.The date is May 21, 1941, the day German bombs drop on his hometown. Thanks to the knowledge he has gained during school, he quickly realizes this. Johnny is stuck in a huge position whether or not to warn the civilians living there now and save their lives, or let history take its place and have to witness everybody die. This book was well wri ...more
Дени Проданова ✨
Темата за пътуването във времето погледната отгоре, отдолу, отвътре и изобщо откъдето е възмножно да се погледне и разгледа е темата на тази книжка. Определено има хляб за размисъл относто алтернативните вселени, гащите на времето, рибата с картофки и това, колко акъл има в главата на едно 13-годихно хлапе. Джони се самоопределя като тъп, но може би точно там е разковничето. Според мен от много знания в главата на човека не остава място за истината.
Rosie Powell
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My brother's birthday is today, and as I was wrapping this book (and a few others) I thought '...I haven't read this since I was twelve...' So I'm reading it again. I love Mrs Tachyon. I really need to stop reading children's books. However, it's interesting to see how Pratchett's writing has advanced. His style is terribly similar, but the plots and characters are less complicated and far less clever. Anyway, I'm sure my brother is going to love it.
Kevin
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately read a North American edition so words like cookie and trash were incongruously appearing in wartime England. Good luck getting anything sensible dialling 911 as well! References to The Thunderbirds and Flowerpot Men were left intact so surely the American reader would have had much less trouble with biscuit and rubbish! All that aside, this was a gentle Pratchett romp with sly humour at many turns.
Lea
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel, kids
While I didn't enjoy this book as much as others Pratchett has written, I will say this: he doesn't dummy anything down for kids. I usually have to look up a word or two in every one of his 'children's novels' and in "Johnny and the bomb', the logic involved in this time travel is mental aerobics, to say the least. I might have enjoyed this more in a different mood.
Chip
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book is pretty bad. The humor doesn't work and there is so little detail. But once Johnny takes control, the story starts to improve quite a bit. I don't think I enjoyed the book as much as some of Pratchett's others. Very interesting way of traveling thru time.
Carol
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the trilogy. I quite liked it, although all the time stuff was rather complicated and it took me a while to get. I like how time travel was managed in the book, with not so much when's and where's, but more as places to be.
Michael
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Definitely my favorite out of the Johnny Maxwell trilogy. This comical tale follows Johnny and friends traveling backwards and forwards (and sometimes around) in time to 1941 around the time of the Blackbury Blitz. This story is a funny story with a great plot and is well worth a read.
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved
January 18, 2010

Library copy
Michaela
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnny s partiou je späť. Toto je milá a nenáročná knižka o cestovaní v čase. A zase sú tu svojrázne postavičky, nohavice času a nákupné vozíky. Teda, aspoň jeden...
nic306
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly even better than the first two books. TP is really in his element here with Johnny and friends. "I'm suffering from life," he said. "However, I am nearly cured." It was also interesting to see a familiar phrase being used - "Millennium hand and shrimp". Also a reference to 'our Ron' (discworld's Foul Ole Ron?) After reading the last page, I was kinda sorry to see the trilogy come to an end but then again, each book had read as an individual story with no reference at all to the prev ...more
Kaylee
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
In this book, Johnny and friends end up time-traveling, first by accident, then purposely to make things right. The time travel made sense, and I liked the concept of the Trousers of Time; I think it's a good way of explaining how timelines branch out.

And, as always, Pratchett makes the story a lot of fun with his wit and humor, while simultaneously exploring serious ideas. In this case, the main idea is that, with or without time travel, everything we do has an effect on the future, so let's d
Molokov
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume of the Johnny Maxwell trilogy edges out being the best, if only because Johnny's friends get to be part of the action this time around, whereas they were more on the periphery before. The time travel element is well done (and explained), although it's not really what this book is about - which is more about ordinary people coping with the horrors of war. Hopefully it was instrumental in getting 90's kids to understand a little about what their grandparents went through in World War I ...more
Gail Sacharski
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with these characters (as I do with all Pratchett's wonderfully quirky citizens) in book 2 of this series (since I couldn't find book 1) & this book was equally wonderful. I am happy that there are still unread Pratchetts that I'm discovering & I still want to cry every time I find & finish one & realize again that he is gone & eventually I will come to the end of unread books. I really loved this one!
Angel
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tercer libro de esta trilogía de Terry Pratchett de la que debo decir que cada libro me ha parecido mejor que el anterior, volvemos a ver una aventura protagonizada por la desbordante imaginación de Johnny, acompañado por su panda de amigos. Una aventura con humor, locura y viajes en el tiempo, ¿que más se puede pedir?
Debbie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started with this book because I didn't realize it was the third in a trilogy. It is enjoyable as a stand alone, but I might read the first two volumes anyway because I liked it. I enjoyed the humour and social commentary. Although it's not one of Pratchett's best books, it's a great introduction to him for middle grade reader.
What would YOU do? 3 11 Jan 11, 2013 08:55AM

• Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • The Leaky Establishment
  • A Dog Called Demolition
  • Ash Road
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Footrot Flats One (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Jennings and Darbishire
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • Il Capitan Tempesta
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • You Can Be the Stainless Steel Rat
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Johnny Maxwell (3 books)
  • Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell, #1)
  • Johnny and the Dead (Johnny Maxwell, #2)
“You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs any more," said Yo-less. "It's speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons.” 221 likes
“When all else failed, she tried being reasonable.” 26 likes