Start by marking “Lyrics 1964-2008” as Want to Read:
Lyrics 1964-2008

Lyrics 1964-2008

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A landmark compilation of popular music, this collection contains Paul Simon's lyrics from his first album in 1964 to the present, now with 2011’s So Beautiful Or So What?
Published November 11th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lyrics 1964-2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lyrics 1964-2008

Susane Colasanti
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
1988: Wrote Paul Simon lyrics all over my Keds way before doing that kind of thing was accepted as cool (I was nerd chic like that). Had this thing where I'd trace my hand with a metallic outliner on my binder cover and write Paul Simon lyrics inside. Obsessed with visions of streetlights and city sounds and sunsets sifting through trees and every other picture Paul Simon painted in his songs. Felt the magic of New York City in his songs and knew it would feel like home to live there (here). Wis ...more
Iwan
Dec 14, 2015 added it
Ik kocht dit boek ooit bij Fame in de Kalverstraat voor € 15 of zo. Als liefhebber van de muziek én de teksten van Paul Simon heb ik geen spijt van deze uitgave. Dit koffietafelboek is bovendien subtiel geïllustreerd met foto's en afbeeldingen van aantekeningen uit het songtekstschriftje.
Sherrie
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nearly all of Paul Simon's lyrics are gathered in this beautiful book, the few omissions I noted were his early 60's bubblegum songs such as "Hey Schoolgirl", "Dancing Wild" and "The Lone Teen Ranger". Among his folk period songs, the only song that I noticed missing was "Carlos Dominguez". The most interesting features are scans of some of the original handwritten lyrics, showing the evolution of some of Simon's best known songs. It is a joy to read the lyrics free of their musical accompanimen ...more
Dr. Carl Ludwig Dorsch
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: verse

Without Mr. Simon’s musical virtuosity these lyrics are rather flat on the page. This volume includes 85 pages from the libretto of Simon’s 1990s musical play ‘The Capeman,’ written with the poet and 1992 Nobel laureate Derek Walcott, though Walcott’s involvement is only evident here in the copyright listings of the end material.

Tell us all a story
About how it used to be
Make it up and write it down
Just like history
About Goldilocks and the three bears
Nature in the cross hairs
And how we all ascen
John
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading Paul Simon's song lyrics as poetry on the printed page - a fun exercise.

Of course, with the refrains that are embedded in every song, there is some repetition in most of the poems. And some poems inevitably lose an intangible "something" - a depth of impact, without the accompaniment of music. (for example, consider "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme". That's not necessarily a criticism - some of the poems were enjoyable and I've never heard the recorded song. In any case, exactly WHIC
Richard Thompson
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had some reservations about suggesting this book as a read-aloud. I knew I wouldn't be able to sing the lyrics — many of the songs I had no memory of having ever heard — but I knew that I would be tempted to try the ones I was familiar with. I told Maggee: "I am going to work really hard at reading. If you catch me trying to sing, stop me." We both agreed that the lyrics worked just fine as poetry. Maggee commented that she tends not to really hear the lyrics of songs — she gets caught up in t ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Holly C. for recommending this terrific book! I always knew that Paul Simon was poetic and sensitive. Reading his lyrics only confirms that! It is a different experience than hearing the lyrics set to music. But what a tribute to a great talent and thinker. Pick up this book and see how the words touch you. Some of the songs are so memorable from a point in your life! Excellent book!
David Ward
Paul Simon Lyrics 1964 – 2008 by Paul Simon (Simon & Shuster 2008) (782.4216). This compilation consists of all of Paul Simon's lyrics from his first album through his last album prior to the date of publication in 2008. Everybody loves something that Paul Simon has written; he's a genius. My rating: 7/10, finished 2009.
Sue
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Mock me if you will, but the man is a poet.
Scott
Mar 16, 2010 added it
Paul Simon Lyrics 1964-2008 by Paul Simon (2008)
Ashley
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, poetry
Loved reading this, even though I know most of them by heart already. Another great way to experience Simon's poetry.
Dave
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The man can write songs....Thats all I have to say about that...And you can call me AL
Renee
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sing ta na na Ta na na na
David Timms
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Paul Simon is sure to be remembered as an important voice of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and on until he's gone. I ove his words. I love his music. And this book allows me to not misquote him.
Donald
Oct 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I got this book because I wanted a book that I printed. Simple really. And you know? Paul Simon wrote a lot more than I thought he did. This is an interesting book that goes back to his beginnings.
Amy
Mar 08, 2009
Rosetta Godfrey
Apr 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paul Frederic Simon is a Grammy Award-winning American singer-songwriter and musician. Simon is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, both as half of the folk-singing duo Simon and Garfunkel and as a solo artist. In 2006, Time magazine called him one of the 100 "people who shape our world." As of 2007, he resides in New Canaan, Connecticut.

Librarian’s note: There is more than one author in t
More about Paul Simon...

“And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.”
46 likes
“Time it was
And what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence
A time of confidences

Long ago it must be
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you”
16 likes