Start by marking “Burden of Proof” as Want to Read:
Burden of Proof

Burden of Proof

Three weeks after his twenty-third birthday, Ethan missed the chance to save his brother's life when he was murdered on the steps of the courthouse in Jacksonville, Florida. Ever since that fateful day, Ethan has sensed a deep disconnect between the man he should have been and the one he has become. His days play out a beat too slow, his mind replaying the scene of his fai ...more
Published November 3rd 2020 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Burden of Proof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burden of Proof

Start your review of Burden of Proof
Monica
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you have any regrets in life and wish you could go back in time and change something? I would imagine most of us have a few. Burden of Proof by Davis Bunn is a story of second chances that make a difference.

Ethan's brother Adrian was murdered on the courthouse steps when he was twenty. They never caught the killer and they never quite solved the case. Ethan has been struggling and disconnected from life ever since. Then Adrian's widow, Sonya, appears and asks for help in uncovering what reall
Paula Shreckhise
“For the first time since he had received the news, his fear of death was balanced with the power of choice.”
Burden Of Proof is a unique story in a unique time frame. From the blurb on the cover, I was not expecting this plot. It is well executed and kept me turning pages but I thought something was missing. I kept waiting for a concrete faith message. I can see several places that this could happen. That said, it was a great story. I kept wondering what the final outcome would be on several lev
Loraine
I have not read anything of Davis Bunn's for many years. I absolutely loved his Heirs of Acadia series, but I found this quite different from his previous writing. This book rather than being historical fiction is a time travel/speculative type book. Ethan Barrett is given an opportunity to go back to the week before his brother, Adrian, was murdered and see if he can find the killer.

This was not action paced suspense with high drama, but it did continue along at a steady pace. I did enjoy seei
Brendatn
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I read the info on “Burden of Proof” by Davis Bunn, I missed the sentence that said it was about time travel. Some readers will this pick this book because time travel interests them and others like me will be tempted to bypass because of it. If I had I would missed one of the most interesting books that I have read in a while. I literally looked forward to being to sit down and get back in it.
How many of us would like to go back in our lives to change some wrongs that we have done? Ease s
Libby May
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m gonna be completely honest. I don’t have a lot of experience reading books by Davis Bunn. But the one I did read, called Unscripted, was no fun for me. Burden of Proof was COMPLETELY different.

The Characters

Oh man the person that Ethan became during the duration of this book was AMAZING. He had all the wisdom of a 55 year old man with all the hype and spirit and energy that came with being a 21 year old man. I don’t want to give any spoilers (which will be impossibly hard) but Ethan’s charac
Jasmine
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
He has one chance to make it right...

I've been a fan of Davis Bunn since he first teemed up with Janette Oke back when I was a tween. I've read quite a few of his books since, crossing genres, and even under a couple of different names, but I think Burden Of Proof is one of my favorites.

Despite the fact that it's a bittersweet story, something I'm not usually a fan of, it was so emotionally moving and thought-provoking that I couldn't help but like it. I wound up finishing it much faster than I
Kelly-Ann ~ Sassy Bookish Mama
My encounter with author Davis Bunn was reading his series that he wrote alongside Janette Oke and I absolutely loved those. I guess that's somewhat the style I was expecting but it definitely was not. That wasn't a bad thing, just kind of threw me for a bit. I guess I have been out of the loop when if comes to his writing as I didn't realize he wrote suspense/mystery books. I can't say this was my favorite and that it kept me engaged throughout because sadly it didn't. And it wasn't the writing ...more
Kathy
What happens when the improbable becomes reality? Ethan is given the opportunity to go back in time to correct mistakes he had made, and he threw himself into the task, heart and soul. Already facing his imminent mortality, he works to save and improve the lives of those he loves. In that quest, there is a mystery to solve, relationships to redeem, and courtroom drama.

I also loved the character of Ethan's brother, Adrian. A courtroom attorney, he worked for justice, not just to get even.

Those wh
Christine
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first read the back cover of this book, I expected it to be a legal thriller. And in many ways it was. But this novel is also science fiction/time travel. I am not much of a science fiction reader, and had I known, I doubt I would have grabbed a copy. But, as it so happened, I actually enjoyed this book. Most of the science fiction takes place in the first few chapters, and I must admit I became quite entrenched in the story thereafter. This is not a very long novel, and certainly not all ...more
Gloria Moseley
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Imagine having the opportunity to go back in time and reverse one of the most tragic events in your life. Would you be able to change the past? That’s exactly what is at stake for Ethan Barrett in Davis Bunn’s novel, “Burden of Proof.” Faced with his own pending end, Ethan is presented the chance to restore what was lost… what was taken many years earlier. This book is well thought out and does have moralistic values, but I see no substantial evidence of Jesus in the story.

I received a complimen
Rebecca
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
"My friend said the difference between making the right moves now and making more wrong moves like before was that I had to seek the eternal perspective."

What if? What if we had the ability to travel behind ourselves in order to live out second chances? That was the choice that Ethan Barrett faced as he approached eternity for the first time. Taking the word of his estranged sister-in-law, he allows Sonya to terminate his present life so that he can attempt to exonerate himself from pa
Abigail Harris
Dec 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Um, well, that is not what I signed up for, literally.

I don't even know what I expected this to be about any more, all thoughts I had on "Burden of Proof" by Davis Bunn are gone and I am left wondering what on earth the book was.

It was a thrilling read, yes.

For me?

Not really.

I don't tend to do time travel books, however, the lesson that Bunn would be perfect ... Were there elements of faith or if the characters knew Jesus and had faith. But there was no faith or Biblical content.

The character, E
Jackie
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-mysteries
"Burden of Proof" is a futuristic type mystery that tugs at each of our hearts. What if we had the opportunity to correct past wrongs? I sympathized with the main character. I found the book a little slow due to the large number of technical explanations incorporated in the main character's care and the legal trial. I was also a little disappointed in the ending - but sometimes it is fun just to imagine my own happy ending!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through
Connie Saunders
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ethan is dying from a rare condition caused by melanoma skin cancer invading the lining around his heart and lungs. Soon, he will face death and he will face it alone. And then, his sister-in-law visits with a niece he never knew about, and Ethan is offered a chance to relive and undo many of the mistakes he has made. Ethan can save his brother's life, reunite with the love of his life, and finally live a productive and unselfish life. As he begins a do-over, Ethan realizes that the way we treat ...more
Nora St Laurent
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love John Grisham’s intense courtroom drama and stories about second chances, you will love this novel. The characters and their situation grabbed my heart and never let it go. Ethan comes to terms with the fact doctors gave him a few months to live. Just when he was coming to terms with his new reality, in walks his estranged scientific Professor sister-in-law with an opportunity he would not have considered if cancer were not eating up his body. It is an out of the box, wild option but ...more
Debora Wilder
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Slow start, but captivating once it is going.

Ethan Barrett was handed a very hard task to deal with, and to make others understand. He had great motivation to take it on with his displeasure with his own choices and how his life was going. He was living with a ton of regrets and had a chance to change some of them.

There was a group of characters that he was able to bring in to help him. I enjoyed getting to know them and see how they interacted with each other throughout this book. It wasn’t eas
Christian Fiction Addiction
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing

The latest novel by Davis Bunn is just what I needed to end off a year that has felt like it could benefit from an extra dose of inspiration! "Burden of Proof" combines the emotive storytelling that Bunn is known for, with some mind-bending elements normally reserved for his Thomas Locke pseudonym novels. The combination was just what I was looking for!

Filled with fascinating "what-if?" scenarios and woven with themes of redemption, Burden of Proof explores what it would be like if we were give
Vickie
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book that I have read by Davis Bunn, and I was absolutely engrossed in it from beginning to end. I didn’t know what to expect at first because it seemed to combine sci-fi with mystery and thriller, so I wasn’t convinced that the combination would work. I was pleasantly surprised as this book exceeded all of my expectations. The basic premise is that Ethan uses advanced technology discovered by his sister-in-law Sonya in order to travel back in time and attempt to save his brot ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
I usually don't enjoy books that have an element of science fiction in them. I find that I spend my time being skeptical and not able to just lose myself in the story. Burden of Proof isn't overly science fictiony but it does have an element of time travel in it. Once again Davis Bunn has made me rethink my snubbing of this genre.

We all have regrets in life that given the chance we would change. In Burden of Proof Ethan Barrett is living with overwhelming regrets. But out of the blue he is given
Rachael
Nov 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This author has a wide range of genres...I’m not sure what this one is called, but it includes time travel. This type of time travel was totally different than any other to which I have been exposed.

The plot is a fascinating one, and it really kept me engaged. The mystery part was well done. I didn’t find myself thoroughly connected with the characters. I felt like I wanted a bit more there, but I was glad to see the characters grow from the beginning.

What really stuck with me was the talk of d
Nadine Keels
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ethan wasn't able to save his brother Adrian, a lawyer, from being murdered. But many years later, Adrian's widow presents Ethan with a chance to uncover the truth about the last legal case Adrian was working on in Burden of Proof by author Davis Bunn.

I wasn't ready for this novel. And no, it isn't because I didn't first read the book blurb, which doesn't reveal much about what this story is anyway. But I certainly wasn't prepared for a sci-fi legal suspense mash-up.

Now, the pace of this story s
Anne Rightler
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contest-gift
Another captivating suspense book from one of my favorite authors. Davis Bunn has blended well a bit of several genres in Burden of Proof...murder, time travel, romance, legal suspense. After living a pretty self-centered life--as one character noted, he had lived a 'thin life', Ethan has a second chance to save his brother's life. Will he take the chance, regardless of the consequences? Perhaps this time he will aim for the eternal, not the temporal things in life. The book kept my interest fro ...more
Kevin
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Davis Bunn's latest novel, BURDEN OF PROOF, mixes genres a bit to create a compelling can't-stop-turning-the-pages novel that is part science fiction, part mystery, and part courtroom drama. It's almost like Bunn, known for works like WINNER TAKE ALL, co-wrote the book with the pseudonymous Thomas Locke (also Bunn), author of the Fault Lines series.

Ethan is given the chance to go back to a major turning point in his life in order to save the life of his brother, a lawyer who was killed on the co
Jennifer Robb
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: LibraryThing Early Reviewers
This is the second book I've read recently that bases part of its story on quantum entanglements. Thankfully, it is not necessary to fully understand that theory in order to read the book. As far as whether the science presented is a real avenue of research or a real possibility--I will have to leave that to more scientific minds than mine.

If you could go back to one point in your life and make a different choice what time would you choose? Ethan Barratt has long thought that the death of his br
Virginia Winfield
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. I loved the use of time travel though it is different how this story ends. The characters all learn some very nice lessons. I love that Ethan is willing to help his brother by doing something no one else had ever done. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Dana Michael
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Burden of Proof is the first book I have read by this author. Boy, have I been missing out. This is a time travel story. The main character, Ethan has a chance to go back in time to save his brother's life. This story has a bit of sci fi, mystery and legal thriller action. And just a smidgen of romance. I wish the ending had been a bit different, not that it was bad. It just didnt end the way I wanted it to. But all in all a very good read. I think readers who love fast paced action will really ...more
JoAnn
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Burden of Proof is a very well written book. If you enjoy time travel I suggest this book. I highly recommend this book. I received an advance ebook from the publisher and this is my unbiased review.
Denise
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like other reviewers have mentioned, I did not realize this was a time travel novel. However, I happen to like time travel so I enjoyed this book very much. I went into this one knowing I absolutely love Davis Bunn, so I’m thankful this book met and exceeded my expectations. If you’re looking to stretch your brain a bit, you’ll love it. I had trouble putting it down. Great character and plot development. Looking forward to the next one in the series. Five stars.
Phillip Cole
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ethan Barrett has accepted his life ending in a short time, but suffers more from regrets from his past. He is unexpectedly given an opportunity to change things and redo part of his life. He also gains the chance to save his brother.

I read every David Bunn book I can get because they are interesting and imaginative. This one was no different. The characters are are easy to picture and the plot is fast-paced. There is just the right balance of action and suspense to make it hard to stop reading.
Marie
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you in advance to the publisher; Revell (a division of Baker Books); for providing an advanced review copy through Library Thing. A positive review was not required in any way, nor was it requested. All words are my own.

This is the second book I’ve read by Davis Bunn, and sadly it might be my last.

The first book I read, Unscripted, didn’t seem to have much of a plot nor did it make sense to me. But, I figured it was probably me.

After reading the blurb on this one, I was really excited a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Escape (US Marshals, #1)
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • The Love Note
  • The Key to Love
  • Active Defense (Danger Never Sleeps, #3)
  • Nothing Short of Wondrous (American Wonders #2)
  • The Price of Valor (Global Search and Rescue, #3)
  • Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)
  • The Edge of Belonging
  • Nine
  • Soul Raging (The Book of the Wars #3)
  • To Steal a Heart (The Bleeker Street Inquiry Agency, #1)
  • The Conqueror (Constantine's Empire, #1)
  • The Dress Shop on King Street (Heirloom Secrets, #1)
  • Softly Blows the Bugle (The Amish of Weaver's Creek, #3)
  • Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • An Ivy Hill Christmas (Tales from Ivy Hill)
  • All That We Carried
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a

News & Interviews