Jump to ratings and reviews

Lone Star Ridge #3

Wild Nights in Texas

She can make Lone Star Ridge’s sheriff break every rule…

Former child star “Badly” Hadley Dalton can’t shake the nickname she got on Little Cowgirls, the reality show that made her famous. Another thing she can’t shake: her attraction to hometown heartthrob Leyton Jameson. After their teen make-out session was televised, Leyton ended their relationship, and Hadley left town. But when she learns her beloved Granny Em has gone missing, Hadley returns home and immediately lands in hot water…

Leyton has wanted Hadley since he first knew what desire was. Searching for Em together makes all that heat—and all their differences—impossible to ignore. Hadley’s past is riddled with bad decisions—ones that are suddenly rearing their ugly heads. Believing she’s too much trouble for a good-guy cop, Hadley doesn’t think Leyton can ever overlook her faults. But Leyton will sign up for a lifetime of trouble if it means this wild ride never ends…

384 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 29, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Delores Fossen

468 books661 followers
Thank you for finding me on Goodreads!

Want to know more about me? Well, here it is in a nutshell:

I’m a USA Today bestselling author, and I’ve sold over 100 novels. Yes, 100! Needless to say, I write a lot. I’ve had the honor of receiving the Booksellers' Best Award for romantic suspense, the Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award, and I was a finalist for the Rita. My books have been featured in Vogue, Woman’s Day and Woman’s World. I’ve also had nearly a hundred short stories and articles published in national magazines. I love hearing from readers, and you can contact me through my webpage at: www.deloresfossen.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (1%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews
Profile Image for Shelley.
360 reviews103 followers
September 11, 2022
Unpopular opinion incoming. This was trash even by predictable, fluffy romance standards. The chemistry between the main characters felt forced, characters hadn't seen each other in years and yet instant love happened. There's a super cheesy reality tv bit, and a side mystery with a grandma and her mobster snitch boyfriend in witness protection that were too ridiculous for my taste. I stopped caring what happened and was bored from page 50. A light read was what I wanted after the previous book made my sob big, fat Alice in Wonderland tears and this was a failure.
Profile Image for Susan.
4,222 reviews89 followers
February 20, 2021
Good second chance romance. Hadley is the third sister in the trio that starred in the reality show Little Cowgirls. While her two sisters were the sunny-natured, good girls, Hadley got stuck with the nickname "Badly Hadley." Never one to resist a challenge, Hadley did her best to live up to the name, especially as she got older. When an overzealous cameraman caught Hadley making out with her boyfriend, Leyton and the producers televised it, Leyton broke off their relationship. The show was canceled soon after, and eventually, Hadley left town. She became a successful costume designer until a customer's reaction to a wardrobe malfunction tanked Hadley's business. Combined with a strange call from her grandmother, Hadley rushed home to Texas.

Leyton stayed in Lone Star Ridge and eventually became the sheriff. He has a reputation for maintaining a cool head in a crisis, as shown in this series's previous books. That cool head will come in handy when Hadley's arrival in town blindsides him. To complicate matters further, Granny Em has disappeared, and no one knows where she is. It's up to Hadley and Leyton to find her.

I loved watching the rekindling of the relationship between Hadley and Leyton. Truthfully, there wasn't much rekindling to do. The attraction that burned between them back then is still there and growing fast. From the moment they saw each other again, they couldn't deny the sparks. Leyton was all for seeing where it would take them, but Hadley was much warier. She made so many bad decisions in her past that she can't stand the idea of her reputation damaging Leyton's, especially when some of those decisions come back to haunt her now.

One of the first things on their plate is finding Granny Em and making sure she isn't in danger. Em is an interesting woman and sometimes claimed that she used to be the girlfriend of a mobster. When Leyton and Hadley find out that she really was, their worries for her increase. It was quite the eye-opener for both of them when they tracked Em down and found her with her former boyfriend (now fiancé). Finding out that Tony's brother is out of prison and looking for them sends Leyton and Hadley into protective mode as they take the two lovebirds back to Lone Star Ridge.

To protect Tony and Em, Leyton and Hadley spend a lot of time together. Leyton uses the time to show Hadley how good they could be together. Every chance he gets, he emphasizes that her past doesn't need to dictate her future. I loved his patience as Leyton shows her time and again that she is a good person who has made some mistakes. Hadley wants to believe him until another piece of her past shows up.

The TV show's former producer wants to do a reunion show, and neither the girls nor their brother are interested. In fact, they flat-out refuse to even think about it. This time, the producer brings along his partner, a former cameraman, to up the pressure. He doesn't know that Hadley and the man have a history, and Dempsey has a little blackmail in mind to get his way. I ached for Hadley because of the guilt she felt and loved the support she got from her family and Leyton. I also liked Leyton's protectiveness and the points he made in a private chat with Dempsey.

The end gets a little intense when Tony's brother, Marco, shows up. There was an interesting twist to that situation that I did not expect, and it threw a different light on the issue. After a somewhat humorous beginning, the final resolution was good but left Leyton with a bunch of paperwork to do. I loved how Leyton surprised Hadley and himself by telling her how he felt before having to leave her. Unfortunately, that confession scared the heck out of Hadley because she was sure that loving her would come back to bite him. She planned to put some distance between them by leaving Lone Star Ridge, even though everyone tried to tell her it was a mistake to go. I loved seeing Leyton chase her down and how he convinced her to stay. The epilogue was a sweet wrap-up to the story.
Profile Image for Aly.
2,229 reviews65 followers
June 28, 2022
At 18, Hadley Dalton left her hometown behind and the bad memories of being one of the three famous triplets in the family reality show that stole her from a normal life and that broke her relationship with her teenage crush. Now a costume designer, she's coming back to bring her grandma a special hat she asked her to make. But on the day of her arrival, after a rooster made her wreck her car, her former crush, who's now LSR's sheriff, drive her to her grandmother's house. That's when she realize Em is missing and only left a cryptic note.

There were good ideas in this book and I didn't mind the OTT/Hollywood scenario style at first and thought it was fun. But by the middle of it, it became a case of trying to squeeze way too many things in the same novel and I lost interest. I wasn't sold on Hadley and Leyton's chemistry either. They haven't seen each other in years, and parted in an awkward way the last time but they acted as if it's been yesterday they've last seen and resumed their intimated relationship almost right away.
Profile Image for Kate Vale.
Author 22 books75 followers
October 13, 2020
Badly Hadly Dalton has it bad for Sheriff Leyton Jameson but she's never told him and now that she's home after her costume design business has been blackballed, she has other worries--specifically why her Granny Em has disappeared. As if that wasn't enough, the producer of the TV show that gave Hadly her nickname wants a return show and intends to use blackmail to get all three triplets to agree.

Leyton has other ideas, even as he's busy trying to protect the man Em now wants to marry. But that guy has a brother recently released from prison and he seems to be trying to find both his brother and Granny Em. Talk about wild nights!

And days! And those rock'em-sock 'em kisses that are sure to lead Hadly to wanting more.
Profile Image for Books and Spoons.
1,613 reviews28 followers
March 9, 2021
A delightful and heartfelt, ardent yet sweet, definitely entertaining tale of lost love reignited in the midst of family chaos and grandma in trouble.
Prepare yourself with plenty of time and hydration as you start to read this novel, it is unputdownable, fun, emotional, passionate, intense, with a taste of danger and a dash of suspense. It is all those things I love about a great romance novel, it testifies to the deep emotions that the right one ignites again no matter the time passed in between you, it shows the importance and the dysfunction of a family, the good sides and the crazy mess, yet without them, we would be lost.
The connection between Hadley Dalton and Leyton Jameson is one hot sizzling, tangible force. I loved how they reconnected as soon as their eyes met. Yet it was real, it was raw and powerful, and passionate, and they swept me off my feet, for sure.
Hadley is a strong woman. She is not perfect; there are mistakes she has made, there are losses she has faced, the pain and hurt are still strong, yet she is making it, one day at the time. I liked her, I admired her, and I cheered for her, and I swooned for the way Leyton Jameson knew exactly when to support her, when to listen to her, when to protect her, and when to let her deal with her stuff while having her back. I have loved all the Jameson brothers but Layton, he's something special.
Another delightfully delicious family saga from Ms. Fossen that swipes the readers off their feet, makes them laugh and smile, and sigh and even tear up, bringing all the feels and troubles a family can face mixed with all the joy and jubilee one can experience.
An entertaining and satisfying read - like the whole series has been - that I can highly recommend.
~ Five Spoons
Profile Image for Karen Hackett.
566 reviews1 follower
October 17, 2020
WILD NIGHTS IN TEXAS, book three of the Lone Star Ridge series by Delores Fossen, is a tale about the third former child stars of the Little Cowgirls reality show, “Badly” Hadley Dalton cannot shake that nickname. Nor could she shake her attraction to hometown heartthrob Leyton Jameson, who ended their relationship when their teen make-out session was televised. While searching for missing grandma, Em, neither Hadley nor Leyton can ignore that blistering heat simmering between them. WILD NIGHTS IN TEXAS is a fun read involving a wide variety of characters, including a runaway rooster. Delores Fossen knows how to write a hot cowboy romance that will take you on a wild ride—Texas-style.
Profile Image for Belinda.
904 reviews1 follower
October 29, 2020
We finally get to learn why Hadley was named Badly Hadley. She has come back home as Em wants her there..but she gets there and she is gone..but on the way to Em's she is in a fender bender and Leyton comes to see what is going on.. They are both dumbstruck to see each other as Hadley didn't want to see him. See he was her long lost lve that dumped her and broke her heart..She acted out all the time but we find out what happened when Leyton broke her heart. Can they work together to get Em back and for Hadley to see that she has grown up. She has to let her heart thaw and know that she can love and be loved..A wonderfully awesome book
9,338 reviews76 followers
September 24, 2020
You gotta love a second chance romance! Hadley and Leyton's teenage relationship ended abruptly and they both went their own ways. Now, though, Hadley has come home to search for her Aunt Em. who has gone missing. She's carrying the weight of bad decisions but she loves her aunt. Leyton, now a law enforcement officer, is both thrilled and a little nervous when he realizes that they'll be together. There aren't any surprises here but the characters are good and the setting is nice (I love cowboy themed romances). Thanks to edelweiss for the ARC. A good read.
Profile Image for Moira.
1,001 reviews3 followers
January 23, 2021
This is the third book in the series. I would recommend reading them in order as much background information could be missed. That being said, the author does provide some background basics in the book.

Hadley is back in town at her grandmother's request. This opens up a lot of memories and she wonders if Layton and she can get over what happened in the past. Can she overcome her history and move forward with the life she imagines? You'll have to read to find out.

3.5 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for Linda.
1,440 reviews
December 16, 2021
Badly Hadley really ain’t as bad as she thought she was and Sheriff Leyton Jameson was the guy to prove it. Leyton had had a crush on Hadley but after getting caught making out with fifteen year old Hadley, he broke up because he was embarrassed. Many years later Hadley came home to straighten out her life and the fire between her and Leyton was still there. This story has some twists and turns but fun to read.
Profile Image for Kristy.
1,252 reviews9 followers
March 26, 2021
Loved this story of Hadley (heart of gold, not so badly) and Leyton! Loved the back story and Hadley being a surrogate. Granny Em’s story was fun.
Profile Image for Anne.
167 reviews11 followers
July 30, 2021
This was fun and intriguing.. lots of action and heart felt emotions.
Profile Image for Sara.
432 reviews
December 17, 2022
I love the Lone Star Ridge series of books. This was another exciting addition to the series. Delores Fossen is an amazing author. The short story included was another winner.
Displaying 1 - 18 of 18 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.