Start by marking “The Love Of Stones” as Want to Read:
The Love Of Stones

Tobias Hill

The Love Of Stones

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  320 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The Three Brethren, an ancient brooch of precious stones, is at the center of this intricate, episodic, multifaceted novel. In fact, the brooch is more interesting than the narrator, Katharine Sterne, whose obsession with its rubies, diamonds, and pearls takes her across Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. As Katharine says, "My life is part of the story of the Three Brethr ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Of Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Of Stones

Chuck
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorite novels. Different characters intertwined in the story of a broach, being sought by an obsessed woman who serves as the center of the novel.Historical and psychological. An intricate page turner.
Stephen Parrish
I think the reviewers who have rated this book low were disappointed because they didn't get what they expected: a fast-paced thriller. Tobias Hill was trained as a poet. THE LOVE OF STONES must be read slowly, like an epic poem. It's true the protagonist is somewhat distant from the reader, but that's because she's an abstraction; the true protagonists in this story are the stones themselves.

If you're looking for a page-turner in the style of Dan Brown or Tom Clancy, you're looking in the wrong
Havers
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es sind drei Brüder, die die Hauptrolle in dem Roman „Die Spur der Rubine“ des englischen Autors Tobias Hill spielen (C. Bertelsmann Verlag). Der Roman ist im Original bereits 2001 erschienen, liegt aber erst jetzt in der deutschen Übersetzung von Karl-Heinz Ebnet vor. Bei den drei Brüdern handelt es sich aber nicht um Geschwister, sondern um drei Rubine von außergewöhnlicher Schönheit, die in einem Schmuckstück verarbeitet waren, das sich ursprünglich im Besitz der englischen Königin Elisabeth ...more
Lacy Phillips
I expected more, lyrically, from an established poet...what I got was an excellent sense of place from the descriptive settings, a choppy plot that doesn't quite knit together fluidly and characters about whom I remain lukewarm. Some of the situations seem a bit contrived, as well...but the story, rather the themes, have stuck with me after two years, so I can't complain that it was an overall bad book. Definately not good, though.
Frances
Aug 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very odd.
Pat
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Complex, haunting, understated epic of one woman's obsession.I need to think more about this novel and may upgrade my rating. The prose and plotting are so dense and multi-layered that it is a book that requires enormous attention and reflection in order to properly absorb.
Nicola
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the end. I hope she can find her man...
Spike Gomes
In many ways, this novel reminded me a bit of the piece of jewelry that the plot hinges on, it is superficially beautiful, stunning at times, but it is cold, hard, unreal and far removed from any natural setting that birthed it.

The prose certainly reflects the author's skills as a poet. It's very beautiful and masterfully done, but the plot hinges on a series of multiple far-fetched coincidental occurrences, and the characters are portrayed in such a obfuscated and detached ways that it's near i
Julie
May 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction
Previous reviewers have commented on Hill’s intelligent writing and use of language. While I did agree that he was quite crafty in his word usage, I found it tedious for a plot that was altogether disappointing. Plus, our main character Katherine, on the quest to find the legendary Three Brethren, is shallow and unsympathetic. Her wayward search seems unfounded and unnecessarily tedious. The only part I remotely enjoyed was her stay with the reclusive German pearl collector, whose quirks were fu ...more
Cecilia 🍁
I'm finally done with it! A word of advice: DO NOT read this in paperback written in really, really small letters like I did. It ruins the whole reading experience and takes ages to get through.

Now to the content of the book. I liked it but not that much. A very interesting thing is Katharine, the obsessed main character, she makes the story worth reading. I liked her chapters more than the ones about the brothers Salman and Daniel. Don't know why. Maybe because she was a more intriguing charact
Jill
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a brilliant book, or even a particularly intelligent one. But it is a fantastic story, and it is told in gripping, labyrinthine detail. The web of characters is well-constructed and subtly recurrent, with hints of reincarnation -- or, maybe more pertinently, the folding-back of lives drawn together by similar passions or goals. Katharine and Salman are one and the same, and the gentle nudges to the reader to notice -- while occasionally obvious -- aren't irritating. Katharine herself ...more
Jenny
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"[The rivers:] shifted in their sleep..." (55)

"It was both a concept and a word of advice. It meant that anyone you meet may be the most important person in your life. Therefore, that every stranger should be treated as a friend,. Loved before it is too late. You never know (he said) in which night your ship is passing." (134)

"The feel of obsession: like a reservoir of love gone sour." (159)

"Instead he began to feel an impending doom, a sense of loss lone before he had lost anything." (221)
J.A. Canter
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore Tobias Hill and his writing style. He's so refreshing and daring. This book was intriguing and just crazy at times. I love how he takes the different cultures and times and weaves them together.
All for the love of stones! People might think that what she does is absurd - but I disagree. Some people fall so passionately over shiny rocks they're willing to kill if they have to just to own one.

As we actually see in the pages of this book.

My hope for this is that it becomes a literary class
Liz
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This my second time round with this interesting book. I first read it when it originally came out and it lingered with me, so much so that I was moved to read it again, something that I almost never do with books. It is not an easy read really, but an absorbing one. I love the Levy characters in particular and, of course, the main protagonists - the stones themselves.
Debbi
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was beautifully written - poetically written. The story was captivating. It read a little slow for me, but that was in part due to the language of the author, which I totally loved! So, it was worth the slower read. I loved the ending and how both stories being told came together in the end.
Michelle L
An all-time favorite. Magical story-telling, with riveting intriguing sub-plots, as the fabulous stones move through history. Sophisticated, beautiful, memorable. (The stones and the story, both.) A forever read.
Diana
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historocal
A bit under 4 stars really but I enjoyed it immensely once I got going. it felt overlong in places but the language was lovely and people came to life. The evocation of Victorian London, I felt, was very well done.
Helen
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like histories that span generations and that involve aspects of Jewish history of which I am unaware. Here, the structure of the book was disjointed and the writing uninspired. I'm not sorry I read this book; but it's not one I can recommend.
Mags
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jon Stclair
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
books i love i go back & buy a hardback copy, stick it on a shelf & wait... i may or may not read it again but i want it anyway... i have bought at least 3 copies of this & given it as a gift... tremendous story...
Isla McKetta
Some really beautiful writing and a compelling story but the book suffers from a feeling that it wants, but fails, to be plot-driven. Not sorry I read it, but it hasn't earned a permanent spot in my bookshelves.
Nancy
Intriguing, but hard to follow the history of the subject jewel at times. Beautiful language kept me reading, although I found the main contemporary character hard to like. The author writes better from the male point of view than from the female.
jj aitken
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not listed and books on my shelf hat i have read years and years ago except this one.
Because even after years i still find myself waking after a perfect sleep to images and lines from this fantastic book.
Hannah
Nov 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for $1 in a clearance bin at Target. No wonder!
Abigail
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, but it lagged in the middle. I definitely prefer his excellent book The Cryptographer
Laura Rose Clawson
The plot is fresh and intriguing, but the author's immaturity when writing the (unnecesary)sex scenes, particularly choice of language, ruins it. Very rushed and contrived ending.
Anne Hower
Two interesting stories intertwined but the writing wandered in places and was somewhat contradictory.
Mona Harrison
Entertaining.
Maureen
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the way this followed the story of a jewel over time. Could not see how it might end and found ending unconvincing.
Denise
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Beautifully written. Enjoyed the story, but didn't like Katharine much as a character.
  • Bone House
  • The Farm: The Story of One Family and the English Countryside
  • Mother's Ruin
  • Great Work of Time
  • The Lost Luggage Porter
  • Thomas (The Deptford Histories, #3)
  • The Real Thing: Stories and Sketches
  • The Devil's Looking Glass (Swords of Albion, #3)
  • Misadventure in the Middle East: Travels as a Tramp, Artist and Spy
  • Footsteps
  • The Vile Victorians
  • Daughters of the House
  • Ancestor Stones
101968
Tobias Hill (born London, England, 30 March 1970) is an award-winning British poet, essayist, writer of short stories and novelist.

Tobias Hill was born in Kentish Town, north London, to parents of German Jewish and English extraction: his maternal grandfather was the brother of Gottfried Bermann, confidant of Thomas Mann and, as owner of S. Fischer Verlag, German literature's leading publisher-in-
More about Tobias Hill...

“In the way such things happen in real life, I suspect I'll never see him again. We talked about that once. There was a term in Japanese, he said. Eng. It was both a concept and a word of advice. It meant that anyone you meet may be the most important person in your life. Therefore, that every stranger should be treated as a friend. Loved before it is too late. You never know (he said) in which night your ship is passing.” 6 likes