Start by marking “The Bar Next Door (Barflies, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bar Next Door (Barflies, #1)

The Bar Next Door

(Barflies #1)

Sometimes you take the shot, and sometimes the shot takes you.

As the manager of Montreal’s most infamous dive bar, Monroe—and it’s just Monroe, thank you very much—is used to serving up her signature pearls of wisdom alongside an array of shots, pints, and pitchers. In fact, she thrives on it. Taverne Toulouse is a mighty ship, and she its fearless captain, trusted by patr
Published August 5th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Bar Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bar Next Door

Start your review of The Bar Next Door (Barflies, #1)
Love2ReadRomance
I absolutely adored The Bar Next Door! Monroe was someone everyone can aspire to be. Her work ethic and love and compassion for people was truly admirable. I also loved Julien and his sexy business owner persona. I can’t wait to read what comes next.
Farah Faqir
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh mon Dieu. Where do I start?

First up thank you to Katia Rose for the ARC of The Bar Next Door becuase I have been dying for more about Monroe since reading The Sherbrooke Stations series.

If you haven't read that series, do it now! It's a delicious, sweet and funny four book series of standalones based on an up and coming band. Each man will steal your heart.

Now to the man that has my heart currently! Julian. Mon amour. *swoon* He is probably one of my favourite book boyfriends. Not just becuas
Jasmine
What a beautifully written book! Katia Rose has quickly become one of my to-go contemporary fiction authors all thanks to this amazing book. I adored the French references/phrases in the story so much since it took place in a cute Montreal dive bar. What truly impressed me was the incredibly creative chapter titles. Each chapter started with a word that has a literary meaning AND wine-related definition. I found myself not only easily drawn to the plot itself and the characters' subtle romantic ...more
Anastasia シ
Okay. Wow.
After reading Katia's Sherbrooke Station series I HAD to read this one. I literally devoured this one in a day. lol
I loved that this one is placed in the same world as Sherbrooke Station and we get to see Roxanne and Cole make a small appearance!
I feel like now a days pacing is a huge issue with some books but this one was just right. Monroe and Julien are fun loveable characters. Their relationship is sweet and sad at times.
The ending was perfect, definitely room for another book i
Sue's Romance Reviews
The Bar Next Door has all the staples of a wonderful rom/com. Three dimensional characters that are down to earth and refreshing, a wonderful story line and writing, humour, and poignant moments that will touch your heart and that may make you shed a tear or two.

For me, this is Katia’s best book yet. From the characters, to the plot and the simmering heat between the characters, my full attention was captured.

Julien Valois has got to be the most charismatic and charming character I have met in a
celene
wee woo baby 😩 *inserts keyboard smashing & noises*

-it’s rivals to lovers y’all wooo (i mean lowkey,,,maybe super lowkey) anyway ✈️✈️

-ok so let’s talk about the smexy curvy, heroine, monroe wooo! so yeah i love her shes so caring she doesn’t like doing favors she’d rather to do favors from people bc she likes helping people! shes great y’all

-on the other hand, mr julien valois *fans self*,,, what a gentleman what a sweetheart wow i need a minute to pull myself together,,, bc *fans self* i cant
Nicci
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
It was a perfect blend of sexy, sweet and fun with awesome characters and a relationship that made me swoon.

Monroe has worked at Tavern Toulouse since her student days. She loves her bar and her staff and her staff love her. However, the tavern has hit a rough patch and the owner is a dick so the threat of closure hangs over her head.
When the building next door is purchased and the new owner - Julien - begins to renovate it for his latest project - a wine bar - Monroe is under
Vanessa (nessreads)
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Je suis tellement heureux, ma bouche fait mal de sourire si grand! I adored this book so much, and loved these characters even more. This book was such a swoon worthy read, I couldn’t get enough.

Monroe is the manager of a failing bar. She loves that bar and her staff and treats them like family. But when Julien purchases the lot next door Monroe sees that as competition. And so, it becomes her mission to save the bar and the people who work there.

Julien is a businessman and his focus is
Coco.V
Apr 15, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (4/15/2020)! 🎁
Angie Cody
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you have an author you love, you always think that you have a favorite book. THEN comes their new book. Then THAT book is your favorite. I feel like that with all of Katia's work that I've read. At this point, I'm only going to say I have favorite characters. Monroe was someone who I adored in Your Chorus, so I was so super excited that she got her own book. Monroe is definitely going up on the shelf of favorite characters how!!!

This whole book was just so good and so enticing. It was all I
M. Carolina
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I said once awhile that I can be a little bit of a pushover, I like to please people and sometimes it cost things I’d like not to do, be and so on.

I don’t like this part of me, but a part of me it is. I let you know I am not altruistic, like our Monroe here, but I can let me go without even noticing and that’s one of the things I loved about this book.

Monroe has wants that have been buried for so long she doesn’t even notice shit is going down until it’s too late. That doesn’t make her weak, mee
Heather Hansard
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019arcs
Katia,my dear, your books just keep getting better! I loved the Sherbrooke Station series,but The Bar Next Door is now one of my favorite! Relatable (and likeable) main characters, delicious chemistry, believable conflict /resolution,and great supporting characters....what more could you need? Excited to continue the Barflies series (hopefully with DeeDee & Zach, and Dylan &?) Grateful to have been given the opportunity to read this advance reader copy!
Ebook Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
*Book received in exchange for an honest review*

The Bar Next Door is book one in new series titled Barflies by new to me author Katia Rose. This book was a fun, flirty low angst romance book that was easy to read and told in a dual point of view. The Bar Next Door follows Monroe the general manager of Tavern Talouse and Julien a wealthy and successful business man. When the shop next door to Tavern Talouse is sold Monroe sets out to figure out what will be going there, her bar is already struggl
Piper
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The bar next door starts off with an introduction to Monroe. We then go on to meeting Julien. Julien and Monroe chemistry is well written and addictive. The plot is very well thought out anf action packed. This is my first book by Katia and ot won't be my last i would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance.  Tavern tosuel is struggling will Monmore ve able to save this bar before it falls on its last legs. Read to find out. ...more
Patty
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ohh ohh ohh!!! A spin off from the Sherbrooke Station Series by Katia Rose. I am so excited…SQUEELLLLL!!!!! This series has our favorite Sherbrooke Station couple featured in it. That’s right folks, Roxanne and Cole. Love, love, loved their story. Now we get the story of her best friend Monroe. Yep all you Sherbrooke Station fans sit down and make room for the Barflies Series.

Monroe is manager of the Montreal’s most infamous dive bar, Taverne Toulouse. Taverne Toulouse is her kingdom and her kin
Angie Flanagan
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
OK Katia has done it yet again!!!! I loved this story so much! I had been waiting on Monroe's story and it's FINALLY here!!!
Even though it didn't have tooooo much to do with Sherbrooke Station themselves, they still made an appearance. :)
I really loved the story of Monroe and Julien and how they met. Things just kept getting thrown in their paths toward each other to make them "see" each other again. Like the unfortunate night of the out of hand college night.
Monroe is struggling to keep the b
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
When you walk into Taverne Toulouse is is immediately evident that it is the dive bar to rival all dive bars, but when you meet the woman running the place you quickly learn that it is much more than that. Monroe maybe pint size, but her attitude is not, she can handle anything or anyone that is thrown her way. And her ability to match the perfect drink to each patron is downright astonishing, she knows her spirits.

But there is a new drink-slinger in town, one that plans on giving her some serio
Nina Hatch
I adored this witty, sizzling romcom from Katia Rose! I'm head over heels in love with Monroe, Julien, and the quirky Montreal bar scene they inhabit, and I can't wait for another taste.

Smart, sassy, and sincere, Monroe cares deeply about the people in her life and about every customer who filters in for a drink at Taverne Toulouse, the bar she has turned into a true community. I ADORED Monroe after spending time with her in Your Chorus, so my heart leapt at the idea of seeing her find her happ
Katia Rose
Aug 22, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It’s release day for The Bar Next Door! I am beyond stoked to FINALLY have this book out in the world. I’ve been very impatiently waiting to share the story with everyone, and I’m thrilled that you can all meet Monroe and Julien and fall in love with them and the whole Taverne Toulouse gang just like I did.

I knew I wasn’t ready to leave my little Montreal tribe after I finished the Sherbrooke Station series, and I had spin off centred on Taverne Toulouse in mind ever since Your Chorus. You don’t
Colleen  (The Book Lover Blog)
The Bar Next Door was a great book choice to cozy up with on the weekend.The first installment of the Barflies series was a sweet, sexy, and feel-good read.

Monroe was an easily likable heroine. She was hardworking and cared a lot about her bar family; she was always striving to be kind and compassionate to others. But, Monroe was always so busy worrying about others, that she put her own dreams on the back burner.

Julian was handsome, driven, and kind; He was also a workaholic. Every accomplishm
Lattes_n_literature
The Bar Next Door by Katia Rose is the first book in her new romcom series which is actually a spin off from the Sherbrooke Station series.

Monroe is the manager of Taverne Toulouse which is more than just a job to her; it’s her life and the people who work there are like family. The owner of the bar is not turning a profit and now wants to sell it.

Julien is opening a wine bar next door to the taverne and is interested in buying it. In his mind, the place is a dump but he feels he could use it t
Jess
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bar Next Door is my first read by Katia Rose and I’m definitely looking forward to reading more from her!

This book was a sweet swoon worthy read. Monroe is the manager of a failing bar when Julien purchases the lot next door and plans to open a wine bar. For Monroe that means competition, it becomes her mission to save the bar and the people who work there that she loves to death

Julien on the other hand focuses on work and success. He’s not one for relationships but meeting Monroe throws hi
Alycia  Price
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This is not a promising start to our date, Bordeaux Boy. Don’t make me change my mind.” I notice how fast my pulse is racing through my veins, and I realize that I don’t want him to make me change my mind. “Never. I’ll see you on Saturday, Monroe.” “See you then.” Mission Cut Ties With Julien Valois: complete failure.

I’M BACCCCKKKKK! Haha. It’s been awhile! I’m back with an ARC REVIEW! And it’s a good one “The Bar Next Dior” has 3 of my favorite things: banter, romance, and wine. Thank you Ka
Bárbara
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*ARC kindly provided by the author*

I am not lying, nor exaggerating, when I say it's been a long while since I last enjoyed a book as much as I did this one. I was a fan of Katia Rose's writing since the Sherbrook Station series, and this installment, the introduction into a new series on the same context the SS happens within, only cements my initial impression.

This story was as sexy, witty and alluring as their protagonists. It was so much fun to see Monroe and Julien as they come to embrace
Jo
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have one issue with this book.  And it's not even with the book really, it's with me.  It's that I wish that my french was better, so that I understood ALL the phrasing that is interspersed throughout the story, without having to rely on the translation, because that, for me, is a distraction from the story.  But this is a niggle.  An in passing comment.  A none thing.

The story - that is a thing.  A beautiful thing.  A completely different thing to the Sherbrooke Station books.  Different in t
Cat Imb || The Reading Cat ||
Katia Rose always brings her A game with her writing. I have yet to come across a book of hers I didn’t love. She has this charisma that jumps off the page with her writing. Its light but at the same time profound. It’s fun but meaningful.

The Bar Next Door is no exception. Unique characters, original storyline, and great writing. This book has it all. Witt, humour, but also memorable quotes and references.

Monroe and Julien are everything. They zing with electricity, they FEEL REAL. They are you
Printed.Word.Girl
**sigh**
You guys, I can’t even tell you how much I adored this book. It has the sweet and sultry makings of a a great rom/com and yet.... the characters had depth and humor and heart. Monroe is the badass chick who cares about everyone else and realizes that she can have her own dreams, too. And Julian.... oh boy, he was just everything; sexy, strong, honest, and everything in between. I love that they both allow the other person to be who they are truly meant to be and help the other flourish.
Andrea
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Recommended it to a friend even by 1/2 thru. Reminds me of a Pippa Croft series I read a few years ago. She very slowly weaves each character into your heart. Then you get to watch 2 very unlikely to fall in love work a holics fall for each other. For both it is a breath of fresh air to feel that way with someone. Their passion was...very, insert smile, and very tastefully written, really beautiful. There were a couple of moments I got impatient but I took into account this book ...more
K Huskić
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story! Monroe manages Tavern Toulouse, a bar which is currently failing, only to discover a fancy new wine bar will be opening up next door. Monroe is not ready to give up on Tavern Toulouse - she loves this bar and the history that goes along with it - and tries to discourage the owner next door, Julien, from opening his bar.
Julien and Monroe hit it off, and even though Monroe tries to keep her distance due to their different views on the bar, she can't deny the attractio
Erin Knuth
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flew through this book full of realistic characters, fun locations, and steamy encounters and then immediately bought a copy for the bestie. The real connection between characters was the best part; there was no questioning why Monroe and Julien are in so deep. Attraction, respect, drive all underline their draw to each other. This may be one of the most realistic contemporary romances I've ever read. I can't wait to experience the rest of the series. Do yourself a favor and treat yo' self to th ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Absinthe Minded (Bourbon Street Bad Boys' Club Book 1)
  • Mountains Loved (Mountains, #3)
  • How Could I Forget
  • Imposter (Ash Park, #7)
  • The Explorer (Mountains, #6)
  • Mountains Series Boxed Set: (Books 1-3)
  • Love is What You Bake of it
  • Jake the Growling Dog Goes to Doggy Daycare
  • Spring's Calling (Seasons of Magic, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Stipulation (The Scarlet Salon, #4)
  • Chasing Starlight
  • Arrows Tipped with Honey (Natural Forces #2)
  • Rockin' It Home (Lawson Family #3)
  • The Seal of Solomon: A Lilandra Reeves Adventure (Supernatural Intelligence Agency: World Book 2)
  • Prophecy Girl (Camille Bishop, #1)
  • Turn up the Tempo (Lyrical Odyssey Rock Star series, #4)
  • And The River Runs Deep: The Cold Case Murder Mystery of Leah Marcus
  • Brutal & Raw (Beneventi Family, #1)
Katia Rose is not much of a Pina Colada person, but she does like getting caught in the rain. She loves to write romances that make her readers laugh, cry, and swoon (preferably in that order). She’s rarely found without a cup of tea nearby, and she’s more than a little obsessed with tiny plants. Katia is proudly bisexual and has a passion for writing about love in all its forms.

Join the Club Kat

Barflies (4 books)
  • Glass Half Full (Barflies, #2)
  • One for the Road (Barflies, #3)
  • When the Lights Come On (Barflies, #4)