Start by marking “Voice of War (Threadlight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voice of War (Threadlight, #1)

Voice of War

(Threadlight #1)

"Voice of War is a perfect blend of magic, family, and chaos that will leave you begging for the next installment. Fans of Brandon Sanderson will love this."

Chrys Valerian is a threadweaver, a high general, and soon-to-be father. But to the people of Alchea, he is the Apogee—the man who won the war.

When a stranger's prophecy foretells danger to Chrys' child, he must do eve
370 pages
Published March 19th 2020 by Zack Argyle (first published March 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Voice of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice of War

Start your review of Voice of War (Threadlight, #1)
Mark Lawrence
I haven't read this book, yet, but it's a finalist in this year's Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off, so it must be good!

See the finalist board here:

Holly (The Grimdragon)
“The blue in her eyes, like a sleeping dragon, awoke in brilliant fury. Threadlight washed over her vision, overwhelming her like it had so many years ago. It took her breath away. Her feet swayed with the wind, and she grabbed the windowsill for support. Hundreds of threads of vivid, prismatic light pulsed around her, each competing for the attention of her aging mind. It felt so natural. So familiar, like friends reunited.”

Voice of War is the debut self-published novel by Zack Argyle in his Th
Carrie
Ok so phew we have a lot going on in this one. Voice of War is an epic fantasy with a wide cast and interesting magic system. I use the term magic lightly as in it's not wizards and spells. Threadweaving is an ability where if a person is born with Emerald or Sapphire eyes they can control the threadlight to move around ie jump great hights, pull things to them. In that sense it was reminding me of Mistborne by Brandon Sanderson. (Which I love so that's a ++)

The world building is top notch, Zack
Connor O'leary
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Voice of War by Zack Argyle is a self-published epic fantasy that I picked up when the author posted on Reddit that the book was available for free. This is new territory for me as the overwhelming majority of what I read is from the Big Five and comes highly recommended on Reddit. While hunting for something to satisfy the self-publishing square for Bingo (hard mode), I looked back on the random free or discounted books I picked up and found this one which as of 9/30 is sitting at 42 ratings on ...more
Christopher
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A compelling fantasy tale from a fellow indie author. Voice of War has a lot of strengths and a few weaknesses. On the strengths side, the setting is compelling and the world-building solid. I'm not much of a swords-n-sorcery reader (Tolkien excepted, I generally prefer other fantasy settings), so I don't know how original the book's magic system is, but it felt reasonably unique to me. Main characters are given distinct personalities and motivations, the dialog is generally solid, and the plot' ...more
Jesse Bailey
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun summer read. It hit the fantasy vibe I was yearning for, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

The magic system was well-done. It was simple enough to grasp and didn't require the reader (in my opinion) to memorize a dozen rules of how it works in order to enjoy the story. I think the magic system compliments the plot and setting quite well for this series, and as a reader, I appreciated that I could understand how the magic worked almost as well as the character
Jonathan
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not my first indie book I've read, but definitely one of my all-time favorites. Absolutely enjoyable and well-crafted. A solid book from a first-time author and I couldn't recommend it higher. It balances plot and fantasy elements well along with character development and internal motivation. Thrilled to have read this twice already because it's that good. Can't wait for the next book to come out.
Luke Tarzian
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RTC
Sibil
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Leona Naan
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I started this book I was almost instantly hooked. The world building throughout was brilliant and it was so easy to imagine every single detail, it was easy to imagine myself wandering through the world right along with the characters. The story flowed along really well, there was an odd snag but 99% of the time the story just flowed. I think that’s down to Argyle’s writing style which I really enjoyed.

The majority of the characters felt very authentic and they all had their own unique voi
Tessa
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm always nervous to invest time into an indie book, but this one was definitely worth it! Argyle hooks you right away with some really intriguing world lore. His whole magic system is imaginative, very Brandon Sanderson-esque in its thoroughness and logic. It has good pacing and keeps you interested.

The one place I can see room for improvement is in the character development. Certain characters were a little less dimensional than I'd like. It wasn't particularly bad or anything, I've read eno
Justin Wallace
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When this book was first recommended to me, I admit I was a bit trepidatious. Epic-scale fantasies are very hit-or-miss, and up to that point I hadn’t heard of Zack Argyle. I was afraid that when the time came to sit down and review the book, I would be forced to write a scathing condemnation that would sadden both parties.

Gale take me but was I ever wrong about that.

Voice of War is a superb book. Contained within its pages is as fine a collection of magical world-building as any soul could hope
S.A. Klopfenstein
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Argyle draws from Sanderson-style magic systems, but manages to make it all his own with Threadlight. The characters are intriguing and complex. The plot unravels much like a mystery novel, the mystery surrounding a band of blood thieves who are stealing magic for an unknown purpose, ending with an explosive climax that brings the plot lines of multiple POV characters together in a surprising and satisfying way. Can't wait for the next installment!
Ryan Creasey
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a starting author, I was blown away by the story. I loved the characters and the unique world he has created. The only issues I had were some portions of the plot that seemed haphazardly thrown together. There are tons of great ideas and developments that will continue finely in the next book. I will be following Mr. Argyle from now on!
Katie P.
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Blog ✍ | Facebook 👩 | Twitter 🐦 | Instagram 📸

Voice of War is a fantastic and original epic fantasy by Zack Argyle! I am so excited to be on tour with Storyteller's on Tour! They have so many consistently good books on tour! This book was so good and such a great epic fantasy!

There is so much to unpack here that I enjoyed! The magic system is interesting and original. I felt like there was some foreshadowing in the beginning few chapters, but it really wasn't too obvious, which I appreciated! Th
Lauren Kelsen
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where to start, where to start.... Voice of War is AMAZING!! I could not put it down, I could not stop thinking about it, and I could not stop staring at the gorgeous cover. Need I say more? OK, ok I guess you want some more logistical details. Right from the start Zack Argyle immerses the reader in a gorgeous, magical complex world. There is magic in certain people, if you're born lucky, and there is harshness in the world if you're not. You meet some very strong characters right off the bat, a ...more
Peter
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Absolutely fantastic! I have loved every bit of this book! Great characters, mystery, one awesome magic system and it's only book 1! Zack Argyle I tip my hat to you, I have wanted to read this for some time and I have not been disappointed. A full review will be on my blog soon.
Lisa Venerussi
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love love love! So, I’m on a review team that receives ARC copies of books and has the choice to leave reviews, and that means that some will be good...and some not so good. THIS book was a pearl! Yes, it’s a world where certain people are born with the ability to “weave” light; we’ve all seen this before, most notably from Brandon Sanderson, but apart from that, what this book gives us is an entirely unique and fascinating world. Throughout the story I was left guessing what would happen next ( ...more
Zack Argyle
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Author here! Obviously, I'm a little bit biased, but I love this story. The powerful reckoning within Chrys, the painful realization within Laurel, and weaving of their threads, all combine to create an avalanche that really hits hard at the end.

Feel free to reach out (zack.argyle@gmail.com) if you have any questions or want to share your theories for Book Two!
Kerri
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
“Wishing. Hoping. They are dangerous words. If you hope for something to be true and it is not, that realization can break you. But until then, while that belief runs warm in your blood, it can drive you to do amazing things.”

Thank you to Storytellers on Tour and the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Voice of War is an epic fantasy that asks what a father would do to protect his child. We follow a few characters in this, but our main protagonist is Chry
Peter
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a fun fantasy with a strong start and some good ideas, but which ultimately failed to deliver a satisfying story due to some poor plotting and a weak 2nd half.

The world-building was quite good with a simple magic system that was the main focus of the story. The world was nothing special with elements most fantasy readers would have come across multiple times, but it was filled with just enough unique elements to make it feel believable and lived in. The magic was well defined and worke
Carl Christiansen
It's only now, moments before I write my review that I find out that Voice of War is Zack Argyle's debut novel. While it doesn't change my opinion of the book, I still want to commend Zack for taking the leap and getting the book out there.

TL;DR: Even though Voice of War didn't quite catch me, it's still a fine book and I'm going to read the sequel because I want to see how certain things resolve. Give it a chance if you like good world building and an interesting take on "magic".

The story fol
Mike Stanley
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I've been a fantasy fiction fan for years now. I've always enjoyed entering another world created by the author for a little while. I feel that it broadens our imagination and lets us see our own world through a different sense.

Zack embodies that feeling as you emotionally tie yourself to Chrys, his internal struggles, and his feelings of inadequacies. You can feel the motherly fears of Iriel and Willow as they encounter the most challenging moments of their lives. One of my unexpectedly favori
A.D. Green
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this book from a new first time author hoping to find a gem but with middling expectations.

I have to say I was impressed. The story was gripping, the magic system was intriguing. An easy concept to follow with interesting possibilities. I read a review that compared the writer with Sanderson and it does have that flavour to it which is not a bad thing.

The characters were well told and interesting and the dialogue and prose in general was exceptional. That this is the authors first novel
Jackie
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
sana j
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
this book was.....exceptional.

the storyline, plot, character everything was unique and now-a-days when there are so many fantasy books already creating a unique masterpiece is a feat unto itself.

I immensely enjoyed the book and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book voice of war left me with SOO many questions.

I recieved a a free ARC of this books in return for an honest review.
Peter Argany
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved the world building, Laurel and Chrys were exciting to follow, the magic system felt novel and engaging. You won't be disappointed :)
Caitlin G
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: july-2020-tbr
Final Rating 3.5/5 Stars, full review to come.

Note: I was provided a free copy of the book by the author in return for my fair and honest review.
Cam
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy
Review to come
Mariah Walton
Oct 12, 2020

• Guild of Tokens (Guild of Tokens #1)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • The Original
  • Beach Read
  • Spit and Song (Ustlian Tales #2)
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • The Wrack
  • Shadow of a Dead God (Mennik Thorn, #1)
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • The Mercies
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 3: The Phantom Bully (Jedi Academy, #3)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 2: Return of the Padawan (Jedi Academy, #2)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Of Dragons, Feasts and Murders (Dominion of the Fallen, #3.5)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)

Threadlight (2 books)
  • Calm in the Shadows (Threadlight Book 2)