Start by marking “Beckett in 90 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Beckett in 90 Minutes

Beckett in 90 Minutes (Great Writers in 90 Minutes)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Building on his enormously successful series of Philosophers in 90 Minutes, Paul Strathern now applies his witty and incisive prose to brief biographical studies of the world's great writers. He brings their lives and ideas to life in entertaining and accessible fashion. Far from being a novelty, each book is a highly refined appraisal of the writer and his work, authorita ...more
Published February 10th 2005 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher (first published April 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Beckett in 90 Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beckett in 90 Minutes

Pooya Kiani
نوشتن کتاب خوبی دربارهی بکت به اندازهی کار خود بکت سخته.
به نظرم این کتاب میتونه راهنمای خوبی برای بهتر فهمیدن بکت نابغه باشه.
Sigrun Hodne
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A pretty nice introduction. Paul Strathern’s book can also function as a kind of brushing-up, if you already know your Beckett.

For everyone finding Beckett a bit rough to read, I will say this: Beckett is a genuinely funny writer, try reading his texts aloud, it can make all the difference.
Realini
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beckett in 90 Minutes by Paul Strathern

Since I loved Strathern’s books on Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, and Nietzsche and more, it was a pleasant surprise to see that this author has books on writers, not only philosophers.
The book I have read so far, in this new (for me) series is on Beckett.
The subject of the “story” is a bit off- putting to start with.
This reader enjoyed somewhat Molloy, but there were some pains in reading it. It is not comforting to learn from Beckett in 90 minutes that crit
Bogdan Liviu
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Up to that point, I had thought I could rely on knowledge. That I had to equip myself intellectually. That day, it all collapsed. I wrote Molloy and the rest of the day I understood my stupidity. Then I began to write down what I feel. I caught a glimpse of the world I had to create to be able to breathe." - Samuel Beckett

I'll go on. You must say words, as long as there are any - until they find me, until they say me. (Strange pain, strange sin!) You must go on. Perhaps it's done already. Perha
Erika
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed learning about Beckett through this book. In the beginning, Beckett wrote erudite works, which made them obscure and confusing. One example is the mention of Belacqua, one of Dante's characters in the Commedia, in the short-story collection More Pricks than Kicks (1934). He met Jung and Joyce. He loved Paris, drank a lot, had a tormented life. He took a while to find his voice. He was in the war, was stabbed in a non-war-related event, died at a very old age.
Christopher
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A quick overview of the works of Samuel Beckett. Lots of snippets from his works, translated from French to English. Left me wanting to know more about his life in Paris during and after WWII. Sounds like a tortured genius and a writer/philosopher who belongs in the same category as Sartre, Camus, and Kafka.
Billy Sheppard
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Strathern delivers a pithy summary of the important dates and details, along with anecdotes and historical context, a timeline, and more. Great series, especially taken together as a long book of great thought and biography.
Debbie
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish. No longer care that I don't "get" Beckett.
If you feel you need or want to understand Beckett, this would be helpful.
James
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Everything you wanted to know about Beckett but couldn't be arsed to find out.
Paige
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A interesting Wiki like look at Beckett. I've always found Beckett's prose hard to digest yet compelling. So an extra star for letting me go back and appreciate Watt a bit more.
Maggie
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
again: succinct and informative. what's not to like in these helpful digests?!
Alex Mahon
Feb 05, 2016
Karl
May 04, 2010
T.  K.
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2017
Aug 03, 2016
Nariman
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Strathern (born 1940) is a British writer and academic. He was born in London, and studied at Trinity College, Dublin, after which he served in the Merchant Navy over a period of two years. He then lived on a Greek island. In 1966 he travelled overland to India and the Himalayas. His novel A Season in Abyssinia won a Somerset Maugham Award in 1972.

Besides five novels, he has also written nume
More about Paul Strathern

Great Writers in 90 Minutes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Borges in 90 Minutes