Start by marking “East Side Hustler (Alex Cohen #2)” as Want to Read:
East Side Hustler (Alex Cohen #2)

East Side Hustler (Alex Cohen #2)

Alex lived through the war, but will he survive the peace?

Jewish gang member, Alex comes back from the Great War almost destroyed by the horrors he has seen. When he is plucked from certain death by an old friend, he commits to making so much money he'll never know that agony again.

But the route to the top is fraught with danger and every time he helps one of his powerful
ebook
Published March 21st 2020 by Sobriety Press

To ask other readers questions about East Side Hustler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East Side Hustler

Start your review of East Side Hustler (Alex Cohen #2)
Dash fan
4☆ A Gritty, Authentic and Compelling Historical Crime Fiction.

East Side Hustler is the second book in the Alex Cohen series. It can be read as a standalone but would recommend reading the first book so you get a good background story.

Alex finds himself drawn back into the dark and murky world of the Jewish Criminal Underworld. Where his life is about to get a whole lot more dangerous, booze is illegal and the horrors of war he fought in still haunts him.

I wont write anymore incase your yet to
Jackie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story. Alex survived the first war, but the after isnt so simple. Being part of a street gang is tough. This book gripped you from the beginning. I cant wait for another book. Something everyone should read from this outstanding writer. ...more
Amanda
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
'East Side Hustler' is the second book to feature Alex Cohen. I read the first book in the series and thoroughly enjoyed reading it, so you can understand why I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of 'East Side Hustler'. 'East Side Hustler' is another cracking read from Leopold Borstinski and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, but more about that in a bit.
It didn't take me long at all to warm to Alex Cohen and to get into this book. In fact by the time I got to the end of the first couple of
Neats
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to be asked to be on the blog tour for East Side Hustler after loving the first Alex Cohen book, The Bowery Slugger, so much. If you haven't read it you really must check it out.

Alex has returned to New York from the frontline in WW1 and life isn't easy for the one-time hustler. He's begging on the streets, suffering from which we now know as PTSD and life is hard. Just when he's at his lowest, his luck changes and he reconnects with old friends which leads to him getting back
Yvonne
This is the second book in the Alex Cohen Series and I am going to say straight from the off how much I am enjoying this series.

Alex Cohen has just returned from serving in the First World War and is suffering from the horror at what he saw and did. He makes his way to his old stomping ground and gradually makes his way back into civilian life. He is a member of a gang in Bowery district of New York. This, like many other gangs, control gambling, prostitution, extortion, backhanders and bribes,
Sue
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alex is back from the Great War a broken man. His family think him dead and he is living on the streets like a hobo, haunted by the things he has seen and done during his time in Europe.

But after a chance meeting with a face from his past, Alex finds himself back in the arms of the Jewish criminal underworld of the Lower East Side, and back in the good graces of his former bosses - despite the unfortunate incident with his old friend, Sammy.

Alex is on the rise again and as America enters the
Emma
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of my reviews can be found at https://damppebbles.com/

East Side Hustler is the second book in the Alex Cohen Series written by Leopold Borstinski. I read and reviewed the first book, The Bowery Slugger, last year and thoroughly enjoyed it so I was really looking forward to this one. I received a free eARC of East Side Hustler but that has in no way influenced my review.

We were last with Alex Cohen as he leapt onto a train destined for the trenches of the Great War. East Side Hustler begins
Mandie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
East Side Hustler is the second book in the Alex Cohen series, and I am going to start this review by saying how much I am enjoying reading these books. They are not my normal type of read but having made the decision to sometimes push myself out of my reading comfort zone I was lucky enough to be given the chance to read the first in the series and now find myself hooked.
In this book Alex has returned from fighting in WW1 and is struggling to adjust back into civilian life. He is taken back in
Elizabeth Gray
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it

So, this is the second book in the Alex Cohen Series, and while you dont absolutely need to read The Bowery Slugger, it really does help. East Side Hustler picks up with Alex having returned to NYC from the horrors of WW1 trench warfare. I have to give Mr. Borstinski credit, his portrayal of Alexs PTSD is amazing.

Like Bowery Slugger, East Side Hustler follows Alex through a decade of his life on the streets as a member of the Jewish-American Organized Crime Syndicate. Alex has to rebuild his
Jacqueline  sharp
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Cohen is back, if you havent read the first book in this series I highly recommend you do, to find out how Alex ended up as he did. Although this can be read as a stand-alone novel.

Its 1919, Alex has just returned to New York after fighting in the war, he is troubled by the things he saw, with flashbacks coming in his memory, imagining the smells and noises. He doesnt want to go back to his previous life. But finds himself in the streets begging for food. Until he sees a leaflet about a
Jayne Anderson
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is not a book that I would normally choose to read, however I had decided that I wanted to explore something outside of my comfort zone and I have to say I am really glad that I did.

Alex Cohen is a man fighting his demons. Hes returned from the war in Europe where he went to fight for his brother Jews. Returning to his home soil hes a broken man in more ways than one. One of his first tasks is to visit his own grave. A mix-up saw him written off as dead.

He cannot face going home and instead
Philip Van
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rise of small time crook to be a murder kingpin during prohibition - 4 stars

Alex Cohen is suffering PTSD when he returns from World War I. He has learned hour to shoot and has been overwhelmed by killing. He was a thug before going off to war but now he has a new skill; he is a sharpshooter.

Alex's main squeeze, Sarah, helps Alex recover from a life in the street; he is still battling bullets in the French countryside. Sarah and Alex's life is a central part of the story in addition to the
Sharon
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I chose this book because it is historical crime noir and I haven't read that genre for a while.  It didn't disappoint.

Set in Brooklyn, 1919, Alex Cohen "Fabian Mustard" returns home a broken man from the war.  When his old Jewish mob boss Waxey Gordon saves Alex from killing himself, Alex turns to his previous profession as an enforcer and vows to move up the ranks to acquire wealth and power so he doesn't have to struggle again.

Alex has no qualms walking up to someone and shooting them in the
Donna Maguire

This is the second book in the Alex Cohen series and I thought that it was excellent!

The plot was well developed and I thought that the story was well written and set at the perfect pace for the story. I was hooked from the first few chapters and the book had plenty going on to hold my attention though to the end and it was one of those books I didnt want to put down and I started and finished it in the same evening.

This is the second book in the series
Jean Marcotte
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This was a well-written book set back in the prohibition era. It was set in the 1920's mainly in New York with excursions to Chicago, Detroit and Windsor, Canada. The book opens with the main character, Alex Cohen, homeless with no hope of a future after having recently returned from war in France. He soon is found by his old gang members and it doesn't take long for him to fall back into his old gangster ways with gang boss Waxey Gordon.
Before long, although living the high-life, this isn't
Jay Williams
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Each book by this author is better than the previous. He manages to capture the entire environment of the Bowery in the 1920s. I especially enjoyed the conversations between the major characters, all involved in the gangster life. Alex Cohen returns from the war to begin anew in his life in the Jewish area of the Bowery. He reconnects with his old boss, his former girlfriend and his crew. He works his way up in the mob hierarchy and is eventually running with the big dogs. Borstinski weaves in ...more
Heather Wamboldt
East Side Hustler is the second book in the Alex Cohen series and is an amazing historical crime thriller.

Set in 1919, this story takes Alex Cohen through the prohibition era. This is a very violent era with the likes of Al Capone, mobsters, drug running, prostitution, and murder. The author does not shy away from the violence of the times and writes an engaging and realistic story with a brutal but likable criminal in Alex Cohen's character. This book is a page-turner that you do not want to
Lee
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Cohen has seen and done it all. Living thru the 1920s is rich with history of prohibition, drug running, prostitution, and killing anyone that got in your way. It was a way if life that few who lived that life questioned it. The book is well written, the subject matter is unusual, reminiscent of The Godfather. So no spoilers but I cant wait to read book 3. ...more
Rowena Andrews
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
What made me fall in love with this book, though, is the historical aspect the research and worldbuilding, that brought the fascinating world of the 1920s to life. The roaring 20s and Prohibition are something most of us know about from school, but this story lets us live it and not just through the glitz and glamour that many associates with this era.

*Full review on blog
Ann Keeran
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After returning from the war, things eventually get back to normal. Life in organized crime can quickly become very dangerous. Follow Alex in his fight to rise to the top. Leopold Borstinski has made astounding progress in his writing abilities and East Side Hustlers is his best, so far.
Alex  Jones
Mar 24, 2020
Tammy Sealock
Mar 25, 2020

• The Memory Wood
  • Bury Them Deep: Inspector McLean 10 (The Inspector McLean Series)
  • Paper Sparrows
  • I, Survivor: When Prey Becomes Predator (The Alexandria Ridley Vigilante Thrillers Book 0)
  • Blood Sisters (A Shady Pines Cozy Vampire Mystery: Book 1)
  • Dead Wrong (DC Maggie Jamieson #2)
  • Blackwood
  • Covert Affairs
  • Our Little Cruelties
  • The Keeper
  • The Wreckage
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Are You Watching?
  • Witness X
  • Cookies and Scream (Baker Street Mysteries #2)
  • The Peacemaker
  • Toxic Deception
  • Mystery on Hidden Lane (Eve Mallow Mystery #1)