Start by marking “Elizabeth: Obstinate, Headstrong Girl” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth: Obstinate, Headstrong Girl

Elizabeth: Obstinate, Headstrong Girl

With timeless verve, the heroine of Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennet, bares her intimate thoughts while offering biting social commentary through a collection of romantic re-imaginings, sequels, and prequels, set in the Regency to present day by ten popular Austenesque authors. “I think her as delightful a character as ever appeared in print…” wrote Jane Austen in a l ...more
Published March 2nd 2020 by The Quill Ink, LLC (first published February 17th 2020)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth

Start your review of Elizabeth: Obstinate, Headstrong Girl
Sheila Majczan
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was sent an ARC of this delightful book but was not to mention it until it was published.

1.) Resolution by Amy D’Orazio: Engaged to Mr. Julius Timpson, her feelings as to Darcy are agitated further when Bingley invites the man to dinner one night. Later she pens her thoughts on a note which is found by a maid and sent off, “Why did you never come back to me?” Darcy visits her and relates that he did as he thought she wanted. A conversation reveals that his aunt misreported the conversation Lad
Sophia
When I learned this anthology was in the works, I was ecstatic. One might wonder how I could be excited about several stories about the same woman and, at times, the retelling of the same story. By the time these talented authors were finished, the collection of stories was more like several facets on one cleverly cut gem catching the light in different ways so that some shone with inner fire and some dazzled with light from without – Elizabeth across the eras in all stages of her life.

I would b
Christina
I can honestly say I love all these authors — and was honored they all agreed to write a story for this homage to Austen’s Elizabeth Bennet. I think there is something for everyone—yet believe the stories work well together, offering readers the authors’ take on a beloved story. (Full disclosure: I edited this anthology AND my own story is included.)
Leslie
This is just a wonderful collection of stories by some very talented authors.
We get P&P what if's
Prequels
Sequels
Modern variations
a flapper version
and much much more.

I am not going to review the individual stories they are each wonderful in their own ways.
I will merely insist if you love Lizzy Bennet - read this book!!
Marilyn Brant
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Austen fans, you are in for a treat. As Tessa Dare so aptly noted in her foreward to the Quill Ink’s latest release, Elizabeth: Obstinate Headstrong Girl, “generations of readers have embraced the epithet ‘obstinate, headstrong girl’ as the compliment Jane Austen surely intended it to be.”

In celebrating the character of my favorite Austen heroine, the ten authors of this excellent anthology succeed beautifully in honoring Miss Elizabeth Bennet’s strength, intelligence, wit, and spiritedness in
Diana
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC and am giving my review in my own words of my own free will.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. All stories within grabbed my attention. I always think how can it be possible to reinvent the story of a P&P character in a different way? I am utterly in awe of all these authors, who have contributed to this volume, who have done a phenomenal job in giving Elizabeth a chance to express herself in different ways.

I can honestly say that I found none of the stories predictable an
Mimi Matthews
Read for endorsement:

Another must have collection of Austenesque stories from the Quill Ink. This time, it’s the much beloved Elizabeth Bennet who inspires the anthology. Within, are stories that show us Lizzie and Darcy falling in love in a variety of settings—from a Regency House Party to a 1930s film set. At the end, we even get a poignant glimpse of Lizzie, now a grandmother. A wonderful collection for Elizabeth Bennet admirers everywhere.
Anji
If like me, you're a fan of Austenesque fiction, you have to be familiar with the anthologies published by The Quill Ink, under The Quill Collective banner. Up until now, Christina Boyd has been working behind the scenes as editor and publisher of the previous four collections as well as editing many other books. In this fifth anthology, she steps out from "behind the camera" so to speak and has written one of the ten stories contained within, in addition to her editing duties. The other nine au ...more
Debbie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-jaff, arc, jaff

The Jane Austen Fan Fiction (JAFF) world has been exploding with stories about Elizabeth Bennet for a long time now. What can possibly be left to explore about this beloved Pride and Prejudice character and her Mr. Darcy? Ten talented storytellers prove they can always find new ground to cover in the character-driven anthology, Elizabeth: Obstinate, Headstrong Girl.

One of these storytellers is the anthology’s editor, Christina Boyd, who took on two roles b
Kasia Burlakoff
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had a privilege of reading this excellent new anthology as ARC so I was spared the wait. Some of the best JAFF authors got together and wrote stories about our beloved heroine Elizabeth Bennet. From Regency to Modern times she remains a delightful and infuriating obstinate, headstrong girl. And Darcy never fails to fall under her spell. Their falling in love was always a pleasure to read about, though their misunderstandings were numerous as usual. The stories were funny, romantic, sad and joy ...more
wosedwew
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, book-reviews
To be Human is to be a storyteller. ~ Barbara K. Walker

I love short stories. An author needs a special talent to convey an entire tale in a minimum of words – to grab the reader with the first sentence and refuse to let go until the last sentence.

I am not going to summarize every story. I will just say the stories are from some favorite authors and all are great. I don’t read many JAFF stories that are not Regency but I enjoyed the modern versions in this collection – even Flapper Elizabeth.

I r
Laurel
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
Elizabeth Bennet, the heroine of Pride and Prejudice is one of the most admired women in literature. She is spirited, outspoken, and obstinate - thus the quote from the novel used in the title of this anthology is so fitting: "Obstinate, headstrong girl! I am ashamed of you! Is this your gratitude for my attentions to you last spring?" This diatribe is said by Lady Catherine during a heated interrogation by an older and much more powerful woman than Elizabeth. Her reaction and comeback are iconi ...more
DeDe
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Just when you think you know everything about our favorite headstrong Elizabeth Bennet, along comes this fabulous collection of Austen-inspired stories. It's a great group of some of my favorite authors too. ...more
Michelle
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

Lady Catherine would not approve of such obstinate, headstrong girls and send no compliments to their mothers. But I think Jane Austen would be thrilled and proud that her works live on and inspire so many wondrous new creations and people.
Olga Miret
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thank Christina Boyd, the editor and also one of the authors of the collection, for sending me an invite to participate on the launch blog tour and for the ARC copy of the volume, which I freely chose to review. I have read and reviewed some of the other anthologies The Quill Collective has published and loved them, so I was delighted to be asked and to be able to participate.
I’ve decided to talk a bit about each one of them, because they are all quite different in style (some written in the f
James S
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another nearly perfect short story collection

Christina Boyd has put together another all star, all good stories, P&P collection centered around Elizabeth Bennet. I know putting together such a collection is a team effort but hats off must go to the head of the effort.

Besides a plethora of rereadable short stories, even the Forward is an excellent, informative read.

I recommend the book highly.
Anna Fitzwilliam
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some of the authors in this book are my favorite. Anyway, this book looks more like a D&E romance collection than a book to celebrate Elizabeth. Only one story really talks about Elizabeth, where we don't ever hear Mr. Darcy's name. And, surprisingly, this one was my favorite.

Since the authors are great, some stories are really good and enjoyable. But in some stories I couldn't even recognize the characters (I imagine that modern Elizabeth is hard to write, since she or became too clever and spe
Elin Eriksen
PnP anthology centred around Elizabeth Bennet.

Elizabeth Bennet is in the centre of attention in this anthology by renowned JAFF authors, including a hilarious foreword by Tessa Dare.
Which suitor did you want Elizabeth to choose when you read or watched Pride and Prejudice for the first time? I thought the exact opposite of Tessa Dare. Intrigued? I certainly was when I opened this book...

Resolution, Amy D'Orazio
Heart-pounding, hands-trembling angst. Not in carriage turning dramatics but on the in
Mela
As a P&P fan and (let's face it) 'a groupie' of Darcy, I have had a great time with this collection of short stories. They were centered around Elizabeth and she was portrayed surprisingly accurately, like in the original.

She couldn’t decide whether to fume or pout.

There were stories where Darcy was 'perfectly swooningly self'.

--> one either existed in the Darcy orbit—or was consigned to the invisibility of the ether
--> “Can you still marry me, knowing that I cannot completely change for you?”
Dung
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austen-tbr
Another great anthology from the talented editor Christina Boyd and the amazing authors who contributed to it.

How can you not love stories coming from Elizabeth’s point of view. These novellas switched back and forth from Regency to modern day.

The other reviews do a great job of summarizing the novellas.

I loved the quotes and the beautiful covers to go with each story. The talented editor Christina also debut her novella and showed off her writing talent.

Definitely recommend this anthology f
Anniina Sjöblom
Even Lady Catherine would approve!

I love short stories - and this anthology is the perfect example why. The ten stories that are "Elizabeth: Obstinate Headstrong Girl" offer a wide variety of perspectives to our favourite heroine, all different but all alike in how delightful they are. I smiled, I laughed - and at one point (you'll know which one when you read it) was left in tears. If you love Elizabeth Bennet, you'll love this anthology!
Becky
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delightful collection of stories! I had previously read work from 9 of the authors so had high expectations. I was not disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed every story. It was easy to transition from one to the next as each story is beautifully unique. Christina Boyd’s debut is nothing short of amazing! It left me breathless. A perfect way to wrap up the book so I recommend not skipping ahead. I can’t wait to see what she shares with us next. These stories stayed with me, some even invading my d ...more
Megan Wilkins
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc and am reviewing my own opinion of the book.
I really loved and enjoyed it. Each story is unique and they fit well together. The various stories are set during different time periods and embrace the eras they are wrote in. Each other brought out the best of Elizabeth and her tendency to be obstinate. The different ways Mr. Darcy was wrote was phenomenal as well. This is a must read for any fan of Pride and Prejudice and love Elizabeth.
Carole (in Canada)
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austenesque Lovers, Fiction/Short Stories
"At last my love has come along" (Etta James)

This line from the song "At Last" encompasses my feelings for the release of this anthology. Ten remarkable and talented authors have given us the other side of the coin from Elizabeth Bennet's perspective. A perspective that is poignant, embolden, fiery, lighthearted, electrifying, reflective, and simmering to name a few.

As Tessa Dare stated in the Foreword:
"This is the gift Jane Austen gave us in Elizabeth Bennet. She created a heroine in which 'obs
Julia M
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

This is quite an outstanding collection of works. I enjoyed all of them but I enjoyed 1-7 & 10 the most.
Yvette
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful collection of stories featuring Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy along with other characters from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice! Whether a "missing" scene, an alternate storyline, or a reimagining set in a different era, the spirit of the characters is wonderfully captured.

Elizabeth Grace narrates the audiobook with warmth and charm, when called for, altering pitch and delivery for character dialogue. Well paced, with lovely diction and an even lovelier accent, this is
Isabelle D
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories is a delight for fans of Pride and Prejudice in general and Elizabeth Bennet in particular. Some stories take the reader back to the familiar Regency setting, prolonging the novel (as sequel or prequel) or exploring alternate ways it could have taken if something had happened differently, while others transport the characters into different times and places, changing them just enough to fit a more modern world (be it early 20th century or 2019) without altering ...more
Michaela
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun collection, in the Austen way, all based on Elizabeth Bennet. I’m going to have to reread Pride and Prejudice again. All of these short stories have made me need the full length real thing! ;)

I received an ARC copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
lori huff
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Wonderful

Another great collection of fabulous short stories, by masterful storytellers. Every one is another opportunity to feel again that dreamy and satisfying happiness that comes from reading Pride and Prejudice, what I consider to be Jane Austen's best. This is truly a dream team of JAFF artists, and they've all managed to create something special, in spite of the widely differing time periods covered. How lovely to experience the swoon-worthy evolution of ODC 's romance over and over
« previous 1 3 next »

• Silver Buckles
  • Two More Days at Netherfield
  • One Minute More
  • Unintended: A Pride and Prejudice Accident
  • When the Sun Sleeps (Sweet Sentiments, #1)
  • Rose Cottage: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Mr Darcy and the Murder at Rosings
  • After Anne: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Only The Deepest Love: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • A Fine Joke
  • When Duty Calls
Christina Boyd wears many hats as she is a great reader, an editor at The Quill Ink, a dedicated reviewer, and a ceramicist. A life member of Jane Austen Society of North America, Christina lives in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest with her dear Mr. B, two busy teenagers, and a retriever named BiBi. Visiting Jane Austen's England was made possible by actor Henry Cavill when she won the Omaze exp ...more