Start by marking “Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)

Sword-Maker

(Tiger and Del #3)

SWORD-SWORN
to track down the hounds of hoolies, yet inescapably haunted by his memories of Del, Tiger, now master of Northern and Southron sword skills, is relentlessly following the trail which will lead him to Ysaa-den. Yet before him wait perils far deadlier than any hounds. For in Ysaa-den he is hailed as a champion come to stop the force which has been wreaking destru
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published October 1989 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about Sword-Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword-Maker

Start your review of Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
Choko
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, advanture
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the group at the FBR:) Because we love us some Tiger and Del!

I know I have said this before, but this is such a great reminder of why I loved the 80's and 90's adventure-fantasy genre. The series is all about the adventures of the Southern Sward-Dancer Tiger and the Northern Sward-Singer Del. Hot and Cold. Heat waves and ice storms. Either way, two strong wills with a ton of baggage trying to find a way to stay close to each-other without destroying one another or dim
Mayim de Vries
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
“There is power in your blade. And if you don’t learn to control it, it will control you.”

Sword-Maker takes us one step further on the journey of two warriors, Southern Tiger and Del of the North. We know they are both sword-dancers. We have already learnt about sword-singing. As their adventures progress, it becomes apparent that keying the sword, the singing is like a magical forge and so the wielder makes and remakes his weapon in order to reach true mastery of his craft and of his (or her) s
Solseit
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a mixed book for me.
First two parts were less interesting for me - they had a much lower rating - while I loved the last part. Overall, this is a 3.5 stars read.

I think the best aspect of the book is the interaction between Tiger and Del and when the interaction does not work well for me, it makes it difficult to digest.
Also the action is more sparse here - when it's there is good but it is not as frequent as in book #2 for instance.

One aspect I like about Jennifer Roberson is that sh
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Buddy read with the fantastic girls from FBR.

"This is the true dance, where two perfectly balanced halves come together at last and form a perfect whole. This is a dance of life, of death, of continuity; the world within seven paces. Nothing else exists. Nothing is as important."

My favourite book of the series till now. Clasic fantasy at it's best!

A skilled Southron Warrior, a fierce Northern Bascha, love, hate, obsession and revenge, this story has it all. Add a vile sorcerer who wants to unma
Kara
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: relegions, fantasy

It’s like Conan the Barbarian meets Waiting for Godot.

There’s evil wizards, megalomaniac warlords, princes, harems, magic swords, sword fights, and a for-me-that-was-Tuesday ending to the main villain – but there is also a lot of sitting around talking about the nature of religion, Good and Evil, and godhood as every single character waits around for a prophesized messiah.

A surprisingly good mesh, with a an awesome build up to a real and fake messiah show down that also only sets the stage for t
Shaitarn
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars. RTC.
Cassie White
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally read in 1993.

Unfortunately there is no way I can rate the first four novels of the Tiger and Del saga individually. They are too deeply steeped in memory and woven together in my mind for me to separate and break them down objectively even after rereading them for the first time in about a decade. I simply must give them five stars. I think the Sandtiger and Delilah deserve at least that much.
Eskana
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Halfway through this series, I gotta say, WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD OF THESE BOOKS BEFORE??? SO GOOD!
Also, caveat: Don't read the plot overview until you read the book. GO NOW.

Plot: Continuing where the last book left off, we're with Tiger on the road again. He's heading north instead of returning home, deciding that he wants to take care of the whole hellhound ("Hoolie hounds") problem to avoid thinking about Del and what he did. Spoiler alert, Del's not dead. She was just almost dead, wounded more
Lundos
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Once more Tiger rushes headlong into trouble by not listening, and this time it could end up with more than he (and Del) can handle. The interactions and dynamic between the two main characters continue in same thread it was in the first two books and still worth a read if you like that sort of thing (which I do once in a while). The world is still (very) dangerous, but this time a bit too much was explained to the reader.
Roig Maldonado
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AK
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book, though a bit drawn-out. Spectacular finale. The feminism here is finally not too overbearing, and having come to love the characters, I quite enjoyed the interplay.
Arminion
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once again, Jennifer Roberson doesn't disappoint. As in the first two installments of this series, we have our familiar Tiger and Del but now with new powers, new foes, new locations and some old faces. Actually, a lot of old faces.
Tiger and Del finally head back South, but not before dealing with the magical hounds from the previous book, which gives Tiger's sword a magical power he can barely control.
I will be honest and say I didn't like all the parts of the story. The beginning was pretty bo
Hil
Jun 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
I remember really enjoying this book and the series it belongs to once upon a time. I couldn't even make it past the first chapter this time around though. The prose was painful and the frequency with which Tiger swore with the phrase "Hoolies!" grated on my nerves after only three pages. I remember the word being over used, but I did not remember it being three or four times a page like it was here. I had the next book Sword-Beaker sitting in the wings for after I finished this, but now they ar ...more
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great installment although I found it a bit slower than the first 2. But man, the end of this one is action packed and I can't wait to read on! Tiger and Del got themselves into a mess but I love that they are facing the future together.

Del definitely annoyed me more in this book but Tiger set her to rights and said everything she needed to hear. I hope she can start to heal and open up to Tiger a little more each book... I think she's getting there though so I was happy with her by the
secondwomn
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reread, sff, 2013
i've reread the later books in this series fewer times, few enough that much of this felt both familiar and new. roberson doesn't pull out any crazy inventive plot twists in this book, but the characters absolutely blossom. she expertly keeps the stakes high without going overboard, layering obstacles but not milking them. this is what it looks like to play with the tropes and conventions of the genre and to skew it just the right amount to make it one's own. it may not be flashy, but it's an im ...more
Jeff Gruters
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I cant really say this book was bad, but I also cant say it was good. About halfway through this book I realized there really was no new plot to this book all it included was Tiger and Del complaining about each other. There isn't much to keep the reader engaged and giving them something to look forward to, no suspense. Most of the time I kept thinking about what book was I going to read next. But I did finish it, so like I said, I cant say it was bad.
Zann
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the dialogue is repetitive, but I love the action, both magical as well as sword-play. My only complaint is that the first part of the book dragged at bit, but I'm glad I hung in there because by the time I'd reached the final chapters of the story I was on the edge of my seat!
Looking forward to book #4.
Norma
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm annoyed by the author's need to recap everything. Tiger was a slave. Got it! Don't need to be reminded every 3rd page. There are a lot of misspellings and typos in the book. I predicted the out come about halfway through the book but the way it was achieved was fantastic and so I'm now reading book 4. I also really like the characters.
Éric Kasprak
After 3 books of the adventures of Tiger and Del, I am ready to call it quit. The characters are still amazing and their relation is still interesting and very well writing (see my review of the previous 2 books), but the lack of action is killing my enjoyment of the series. So if you don't mind an adventure base on relation and dialogue alone you will love Tiger and Del.
Richard Houchin
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Sword-Dancer series never impressed me as much as the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. It just doesn't seem to have the same depth or social relevance. But the Sword-Dancer books are solid fantasy with talking, uppity swords, so it's all good!
Welwyn Wilton Katz
I have the same feelings about all the Tiger and Del books and so I will use the same review for them all:
Please look for my review of Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del #1) to see why I liked these books so much.
Kristin
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I literally just finished and am in no state to write a proper review. However, I must say, Sword-Maker is the best so far and I tried to savor every word of it. Can't wait to get my hands on the next book.
Damian
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just as a note, this is one of the first series I've read as a child, and they hold a special place in my heart, so I can't objectively rate them. I've reread the series as an adult and still enjoy them, however.
Samuel
Mar 19, 2008 rated it liked it
An ok read with not so much whining from Tiger about not believing in this 'n that...
Christine
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
I wasn't as fasinated with this series as I was with the Shapechanger series. Its okay, but not quite my style.
Back together and travelling. This one was quite good.
Inga Haugen
the characters are compelling. I have to keep reading the series!
Gary O'Brien
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
Third in the series. Still a great read.
Alex
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I dare you not to love these characters. Awesome story
Jeanne
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have at this point fallen in love with both the main characters and am thoroughly enjoying their adventures.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sword-Maker [Nov 2017] 77 35 Nov 10, 2017 01:31PM

• Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Reign of Madness (King's Dark Tidings, #2)
  • Kingdoms and Chaos (King's Dark Tidings, #4)
  • Legends of Ahn (King's Dark Tidings, #3)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • A Warrior's Knowledge (The Castes and the OutCastes #2)
  • A Warrior's Penance (The Castes and the OutCastes, #3)
  • Sourcethief (Twinborn Trilogy, #3)
  • Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Aethersmith (Twinborn Trilogy, #2)
  • A Warrior's Path (The Castes and the Outcastes, #1)
  • Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • Tournament of Losers
  • Sasha (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #1)
  • Petrodor (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #2)
Jennifer Roberson has a BS in journalism with extended majors in British history and anthropology.  Hobbies include showing dogs, and creating mosaic artwork and jewelry.  She lives in Arizona with a collection of cats and Cardigan Welsh Corgis.

Tiger and Del (7 books)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)
  • Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • Sword-Bound (Tiger & Del, #7)