Start by marking “Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)

Sword-Breaker

(Tiger and Del #4)

Roberson, Jennifer, Sword-Breaker
Mass Market Paperback, 460 pages
Published July 3rd 1991 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Sword-Breaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword-Breaker

Start your review of Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)
Choko
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with my friends @ FBR Group! Because we love stubborn horses!!!

If you are able to accept that there are male-dominated macho cultures out there and they produce some very male-centered and female-demeaning cultural values as a whole, and that even members of said cultures could learn better, as far as women and their rights to have lives are concerned, if introduced to the right circumstances, this is the series for you! If you look onto this cultural battle as anything
Mayim de Vries
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
You'd think there is a breaking point or at least a breakthrough in the book called *ahem* Sword-Breaker.
Alas, same old, same old.

This is the fourth book in the series. For me anything extending beyond trilogy needs to fulfil one of the following conditions: it is either a superb cast of various characters that need space to be properly fleshed out and developed and play their part in the tale or there is a deviously complicated plot, a story that takes ages to grow and evolve. The problem is t
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Del loosens up, Tiger grows up, the Stud remains his usual charming self!
And I'm starting to love this series!
Solseit
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series is just so well put together. The characters are the best aspect of the story but magic, environment and the stud are essential aspects of the story that really give the series significant depth!

And that ending is just inspired. I cannot wait for more adventures of Tiger and Del!
Lundos
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Tiger is getting old. For a sword-dancer that is. And how he can complain. But I guess anyone above 35ish can relate. The body is not build for growing old. Otherwise Tiger and Del are up to their usual stuff. Kick ass and discuss male/female roles, while travelling across their North/South world. They are still fun, the world still dangerous and their interaction worth the read (especially if you like strong, funny women).

Unlike the previous ones this one has way too much repetition. While I li
Cathy
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned-paper
I've had fun re-reading Tiger and Del's journeys for a lot of reasons. One thing that really strikes me is how their romantic relationship is handled. It's refreshing to read a series that isn't about love triangles or constant awkward and forced interruptions and predicaments designed to keep the main couple apart for as many books as possible and supposedly keep the interest in the romance for the readers going when all it really does is annoy me. This series does what I've been wishing some u ...more
Kara
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Tiger spends most of the book complaining about how his old knees are hurting, but he still manages to do some ass kicking when absolutely needed – although he does his best to tell every punk kid he comes across that he would LOVE to fight them to the death – just not right now, kay? Daddy’s tired.

There are epic adventures, quests, and prophecies – but all hilariously counter pointed by Tiger’s grumbling about how much he hates all that epic stuff.
David
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Six word review: Chased by baddies, possessed sword, magic.

Stars: 7 / 10

So this is book four of the series, so don't read the review if you haven't read the first three. Spoilers for this book are hidden, but I can't guarantee spoilers for the other books are.

Tiger and Del, after causing quite the exit at the end of book three, must flee the wrath of, well, pretty much everybody. Del spends most of the book trying to get Tiger to face what he needs to do to/with the sword and worrying that Tiger
AK
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the best of the series, but still very engaging. I saw a gaping hole in the logic of the plot, but I suppose it is internally justifiable. Besides, yay adventures. There are aspects I wished got more attention, like the resolution of the entire quest they had been on.
Chuck Dee
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great start to a new story in its ending. Roberson had taken the story as far as she could in its current world, so in the end she broke the boundariesmand expanded her world. Recommended.
Mike Isble
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
So clearly you can’t judge a book by its cover. The artwork on this one cracks me up. Had I seen it before downloading this captivating series, it never would have happened! 😬
Arminion
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm sorry miss Roberson, but unlike your previous books, I have to give this one 3 stars. If I have to describe this book by one word it would be: filler. Nothing really happens in this one, at least nothing we haven't seen before.
While in the first three books Tiger and Del at least had some mission or quest to accomplish, this time around, they are just aimlessly wandering through the desert, fighting and avoiding various foes. This whole premise made the book a little too similar to the first
Zann
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A bit slow to start, this 4th book wound up being what could've been a great ending for the series! Many familiar characters and resolved events from all the previous books. Lots of magic and sword-play. There are only a few remaining questions. Who are Tiger's people? Where did they come from? Was Tiger abandoned as a baby or were his parents killed? Were they forced to give him up or was it voluntary?

Here's a kind of funny bit…at one point in this book, Tiger tells a story of events from his
Cassie White
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally read in 1993.

Unfortunately there is no way I can rate the first four novels of the Tiger and Del saga individually. They are too deeply steeped in memory and woven together in my mind for me to separate and break them down objectively even after rereading them for the first time in about a decade. I simply must give them five stars. I think the Sandtiger and Delilah deserve at least that much.
Richard Houchin
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Sword-Dancer series never impressed me as much as the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. It just doesn't seem to have the same depth or social relevance. But the Sword-Dancer books are solid fantasy with talking, uppity swords, so it's all good!
Jeanne
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Still some unanswered questions and my interest remains to continue on the adventures of Tiger and Del. I laugh outloud now all the time during their conversations with each other. I can't wait for the story to continue. I am enjoying this series. Both characters are fantastic.
Welwyn Wilton Katz
I have the same feelings about all the Tiger and Del books and so I will use the same review for them all:
Please look for my review of Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del #1) to see why I liked these books so much.
Robyn S.
Another great Tiger and Del adventure. This book hooked me in instantly and I couldn't let go until I hit the end. Jennifer Roberson tells an amazing story about magic, friendship, revenge, and of course: Sword dancing.
Damian
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just as a note, this is one of the first series I've read as a child, and they hold a special place in my heart, so I can't objectively rate them. I've reread the series as an adult and still enjoy them, however.
Cimuchowski
Oct 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If this is were the guy with the throwing axes is introduced this is where I sort of got bored with the series.
Samuel
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
A better read then the previous book. More depth into Tiger and a good conflict between himself and the sorcerer throughout most of the book...
Christine
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
I wasn't as fasinated with this series as I was with the Shapechanger series. Its okay, but not quite my style.
Jo
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I seem to have forgotten to add this book when I finished it. I'm sure I liked it, but I just don't know how much I liked it. Nor am I actually sure when I finished it. Stupid school.
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This one pays off some old scores and re-invents the narrative. What's not to like?
Gary O'Brien
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
The greatness continues.
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del) by Jennifer Roberson (1991)
Nicole
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Love the characters, hated the ending.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)
Roberson, Jennifer
this is a great series Del looks into himself to find the strength to over come his opponents
Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Beautiful and compelling!
Jean
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When I first started this 4 part series, I wondered if I would like it. A female author writing in the 1st person of the main male character. The story was well done and I enjoyed it very much.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sword-Breaker [Dec 2017] 22 31 Dec 13, 2017 07:31PM

• A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • Double Minds
  • Her Final Words
  • Reign of Madness (King's Dark Tidings, #2)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • Legends of Ahn (King's Dark Tidings, #3)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Kingdoms and Chaos (King's Dark Tidings, #4)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)
  • The Courts of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #5)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Servant of the Crown (Heir to the Crown #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
Jennifer Roberson has a BS in journalism with extended majors in British history and anthropology.  Hobbies include showing dogs, and creating mosaic artwork and jewelry.  She lives in Arizona with a collection of cats and Cardigan Welsh Corgis.

Tiger and Del (7 books)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • Sword-Bound (Tiger & Del, #7)