Start by marking “Acadian Driftwood: One Family and the Great Expulsion” as Want to Read:
Acadian Driftwood: One Family and the Great Expulsion

Acadian Driftwood: One Family and the Great Expulsion

The untold story of one Acadian family: their experiences following their expulsion and their determination to find home.

Growing up on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Tyler LeBlanc wasn't fully aware of his family's Acadian roots -- until a chance encounter with an Acadian historian prompted him to delve into his family history. LeBlanc's discovery that he could trace his
Published April 14th 2020 by Goose Lane Editions

To ask other readers questions about Acadian Driftwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acadian Driftwood

Start your review of Acadian Driftwood: One Family and the Great Expulsion
Laurie Glenn Norris
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very well done. Love the research he undertook - and the important story he related. Hope he keeps writing on this subject.
Dean Jobb
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tyler LeBlanc immerses readers in the horrific eighteenth-century deportations that scattered his Acadian ancestors and almost destroyed their culture. This deeply researched book is a gripping account of a dark chapter in Canada’s history as well as an uplifting tale of one person's discovery of heritage, of family, and ultimately, of identity.
Jan Boomhouwer
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“The effects of the Expulsion on Acadian culture are inseparable from its modern identity. The same does not have to be true for future displaced peoples.”

——

In Acadian Driftwood, Tyler LeBlanc discovers his connection to the Acadian expulsion and follows what happens to ten of his ancestors (all siblings) in the chaos of the expulsion.

LeBlanc illustrates the horror and human suffering enacted on thousands of people because of colonial powers, territory disputes, and politics.

I appreciated how
Micaela Cockburn
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book contains a lot of good, well-researched information about the Acadian Expulsion. Though I found at times it was difficult to follow LeBlanc’s ancestral narrative, I found the book very educational and overall well written. It has inspired me to continue expanding on my knowledge of the Expulsion, a topic I should have begun researching long ago.
Amanda Borys
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. The way it followed one family through their personal exodus really made it come home to me the underlying cruelty and heartlessness of the British leaders. Especially as it was borne out of nothing more than British bigotries and callousness. It made me realize I need to do a lot more reading on the Acadian Expulsion to understand what really happened.
Sandra

• Indian Horse
  • How to Pronounce Knife
  • Dominoes at the Crossroads
  • A Song from Faraway
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • Daughter of Family G: A Memoir of Cancer Genes, Love and Fate
  • Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
  • Blood in the Water: A True Story of Revenge in the Maritimes
  • Weather
  • The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America
  • Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir
  • From the Ashes
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • If I Had Your Face
  • A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • Swimming in the Dark
  • The Stranger
I'm an author, a screenwriter, and a storyteller. I was born and raised in a small Anglophone fishing village on Nova Scotia’s south shore, entirely unaware of my Acadian heritage until a few years ago. It was this dissonance with my own family's identity that inspired the creation of Acadian Driftwood.

Told through the eyes of my Acadian ancestors on their journey through the horrors of the eighte