Start by marking “The Secrets They Left Behind” as Want to Read:
The Secrets They Left Behind

The Secrets They Left Behind

Three missing girls, no leads, a vault of dark secrets, and a case that's getting chillier by the minute, set the stage for this nail-biting procedural from former cold case homicide detective and acclaimed author Lissa Marie Redmond.

Three college freshmen go missing from their rural hometown of Kelly's Falls while on Christmas break. Their cell phones, coats, and purses a
Published April 7th 2020 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets They Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets They Left Behind

Start your review of The Secrets They Left Behind
Luvtoread
Baffling Crime Mystery!

Shea O'Connor is a twenty-three year old policewoman in Buffalo NY and looks like a teenager and that's why she has been chosen by the FBI to work undercover as a student in a small town where three college freshman girls vanished from one of their homes on Christmas vacation without any clues left behind. Shea's job is to become friends with any of the people who were close to the girls and find out some of the secrets these girls carried because someone knows something a
Kristy
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shea O'Connor is twenty-three, working as a patrol officer in the City of Buffalo Police Department. She's gone undercover successfully before for the FBI and that's why she's called on again when three girls go missing in the small town of Kelly's Falls, New York. Three college freshmen have disappeared, leaving behind their phones and purses. As weeks turn into months without a lead, something needs to change. So the youthful-looking Shea is planted undercover as a transfer student at Harris C ...more
Katie B
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

I'm pretty much always game for a mystery and I thought this one had an intriguing premise. This wasn't just an ordinary missing person case instead it involved three college age females. They are friends with each other and all 3 vanish without a trace on the same day. What's going on? So right away I was interested in finding out what happened and while I wouldn't say this ranks among my favorite mysteries, it still is a fairly decent one in the genre.

Twenty-three year old Buffalo pol
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)

I did like the story line of three missing college age students whose disappearance was to be investigated by an undercover student. Shea O' Connor, a twenty-three year old homicide detective is called into action. Shea herself suffering from the scars, both external and internal from her brush with a serial killer, is sent in as an eighteen year old student, pretending to be the niece of the current sheriff. She needs to infiltrate the small town, its people, and the girls who knew an
Samantha Gonsalves
I loved this book. Going by the other ratings & reviews I put off reading this, but I shouldn't have because I ended up loving it! This was a good refresher from the police procedurals I generally read. The book started with a chapter that left me a bit confused, nonetheless on proceeding it got suspenseful & exciting. The Secrets They Left Behind is a good suspense book.

I liked the character of Shea O'Connor. The fact that the author is a former cold-case homicide detective made it feel all the
Amanda Hupe
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, netgalley
Thank you, NetGalley, Lissa Marie Redmond, and Crooked Lane Books for a copy of this book!

The Secrets They Left Behind by Lissa Marie Redmond introduces Shea O’Conner, she is a young beat cop that just finished an intense undercover investigation that left her with P.T.S.D. The FBI contacts her about another undercover assignment. In a small town, three young women have vanished. It is up to her to help the local law enforcement by going undercover at the local junior college to find out everyth
Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Earlier, when one reads a detective novel, there were parts in the story that kind of feels like 'suspension of disbelief' Like a simple thought, huh, does that really happen? But now-a days as the authors are going into such detail into their work that it doesn't feel like fiction at all. Lissa Marie Redmond has the added advantage that she's a retired cold-case detective with superb writing skills that her books have that innate quality of UNPUTDOWNABLE.

Three girls have gone missing after a p
Shalini
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read was this book. Three lost girls and an undercover agent, the investigation rolled on.

My first book by this author, the story moved swiftly. I liked how Shea did her investigation. She was brilliant in her role and I found myself hooked to the book. The twists were quite unexpected, I liked how the author knew where to insert them to keep the plot intriguing.

The writing captured the chilling atmosphere, the subplots were certainly suspenseful. With a dash of romance and great dialogues
Wrenn
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three college freshman girls vanish one night from their small country town of Kelly's Falls after attending a party.
Leaving behind their cell phones, and no clues as to why they disappeared.
Shea O'Connor is a twenty three year old Buffalo police officer. She had worked with the FBI previously to help catch a serial killer.
Now they ask her to go undercover, posing as an eighteen year old student to gain access to family and friends. She gathers clues to find out what happened to the girls.
Only t
Ludwig Reads
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

Upon coming across the title “The Secrets They Left Behind”, this book immediately felt like the perfect Fall read to me – a title I thought suited the the cover perfectly. The premise also sounds extremely original – a 23-year-old female undercover officer with a dark past (escaping a serial killer…) investigating three college freshman girls who vanished in a small town one night without a trace? How chilling does that sound!

The Secrets They Left Behind is the perfect read to cozy up with unde
Alexa
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
3.5 stars. A straightforward suspense novel that will appeal to fans of procedurals/undercover tropes/small town secrets. Might have crossover appeal to YA fans, as the MC is 23 pretending to be 18, and the missing girls are 18/freshmen in college. That said, some of the young adult characters read as a bit older than they are supposed to be at times.

I'm a bit mixed on this one, though I did enjoy my reading experience. It hits on tropes I really enjoy, including small town secrets and secret id
Kristi
“If I had known the best thing that was going to happen to me that day was a black eye, I would have called in sick.”
-Shea O’Connor

First sentence:

Christmas Break - Skyler slammed the front door behind them as they rushed in against the biting winter wind.

When three college girls disappear over Christmas break, Boston police officer, Shea O’Connor is asked by the FBI to go undercover and infiltrate the college. Purposely involving herself in the lives and friendships of the three missing girls
Dana
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
The disappearance of three girls.

No clues.

Time is ticking.

The Secrets They Left Behind by Lissa Marie Redmond introduces us to Shea O’Connor, a Buffalo police officer who has nothing to lose and all to gain by solving this murder mystery.

Sought out by the FBI due to her youthful appearance, Shea is asked to infiltrate the town of the missing threesome and befriend (or not) those closest to them.

With all players on the board and every move significant, it is up to Shea to find out who is hiding s
Denice Langley
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
While a cold case mystery/thriller about 3 missing college girls may not be an original story line, Lissa Marie Redmond has given her characters some unusual twists that add dimension and interest as our young policewoman works undercover to find fresh clues for the young women's disappearance. The story actually centers around the policewoman and her efforts to fit in while gathering information. She must decide where to draw the line as her investigation takes her closer to their class mates a ...more
Aristotle
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
21 Jump Street

As i was reading this i kept thinking it looks like the author had a half written book in the back of her closet, dusted it off and finished it to cash in on the success of her past books.
So i read the acknowledgments and she tells us that the first drafts of this book were written while she was still in the police academy, the author is an ex detective. I was right.

Shea O'Connor a youthful-looking Buffalo police officer goes undercover at a college to investigate the disappearance
Kelly
Shea O’Connor is a young officer at the Buffalo Police Department who lives with her roommate Karen who is a trauma nurse at Erie County Medical Center. They met at the University of Buffalo. Although she’s 23 years old, Shea finds she is often not taken seriously as she appears much younger than her age. This actually worked to her advantage when she was asked to work undercover for Bill Walters in the FBI. She worked undercover to assist with the capture of a teacher Terry Roberts who was a se ...more
ℳacarena
~This ARC has been gently provided in exchange for an honest review~

Shea O’Connor is a twenty-three-year-old Buffalo police officer who has worked undercover for the FBI to help them catch a serial killer called Terry Roberts. After the traumatic events of this assignment, she has been mainly doing paperwork and patrolling the streets of Buffalo until Bill Walters -the same FBI agent who asked her to work in the “Roberts case”- asks her to go undercover again. She is reluctant at first, because
Linda Strong
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

Three female college girls go missing while in their hometown during Christmas break. he girls left behind their phones, purses, coats .... and there is no trace of them anywhere.

When the case turns cold, Police Officer Shea O'Connor is recruited to go undercover. Still bearing the emotional and physical scars of a previous case, O'Connor infiltrates as eighteen-year-old Shea Anderson, a college freshman and the "niece" of the town's police chief.

Shea is getting nowhere with her invest
Janice Lombardo
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great story! Three college freshmen girls have disappeared. Local police have been unable to even find a clue, much less a lead, on the incident. The girl's purses, cell phones, and coats were found - yet not so much as a drop of blood left as to their whereabouts. Now it is 2 months later...

Having done work with the FBI prior to this, Shea O'Connor, a policewoman from Buffalo, NY has been summoned. This, once again, by Bill with the FBI. Shea is 23 years old but can pass for a college freshma
Addie BookCrazyBlogger
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s
I don’t know if it’s the quarantine that made my attention so bad or if I really couldn’t get into this book. Shea O’Connor was previously involved in an undercover case for the FBI, a case that is heavily referenced within the first 100 pages and confusing as hell, because there’s no previous book to explain the details of what happened. Based on her work with the case, she’s pulled back into undercover in rural town, Kelly Fall’s, where 3 girls have gone missing over Christmas break. Shea is t ...more
Alix
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I’m probably being a little generous here because it’s not like this was an amazing novel, but nevertheless I loved it. It has some of my favorite things such as a cop going undercover at a school and a murder mystery taking place in a small town filled with secrets. Plus there was an illicit romance which I enjoyed as well. Even though some may roll their eyes and find it cliche, I dug the thrill and drama of it.

In terms of the mystery, this book actually pulled the wool over my eyes! I was at
Gennifer
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this story is formulaic and not very original, I couldn’t stop reading. The writing is so fluid and the story really appealed to my inner college girl. A small town, an undercover cop, teen angst, a love story and good writing...I mean really what more could you want?
Carolyn McBride
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a good deal more than I expected. Just when I thought I knew who the "bad guy" was...nope!
While I couldn't relate to the main character, me not being a 20-something cop, I was intrigued by her faux relationship to the Chief. It's an engrossing story with fairly well-drawn characters. Never boring, the action picked up in the last third, and I read the last half in one sitting. I rather enjoyed the ending too.
Read it and you'll see what I mean.

Perfect for who-dunnit fans!
Christine
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-three year old Shea O'Connor is an officer for the city of Buffalo, New York police force. Her youthful looks can be a disadvantage on the job, but allowed her to go undercover and help the FBI catch a dangerous serial killer who was working at a school. They are calling on Shea's help again when three college freshman from a nearby town disappear on their Christmas break. Shea goes undercover at the local community college to try to solve the mystery of what happened to the missing girls ...more
Gloria
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Small towns can carry big secrets. When the FBI urges her to assist them with a baffling case, Buffalo NY Patrol Officer Shea O’Connor poses as college student Shea Anderson. Over holiday break, three college freshmen had disappeared, inconceivably leaving behind purses and cellphones. The tight-lipped town of Kelly’s Falls is heartbroken and fearful.

Twenty-three year old Shea recently completed another brutal assignment for the FBI that nearly killed her and is reluctant to take on another cas
Christine
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shea O’Conner, a police officer who has helped the FBI before as an undercover officer, is called in on another case. She looks very young and can easily pass as a co-ed. Three female college students from a small town disappeared one night and the case has grown cold. So Shea is sent to be a student at the local Community College and become friend with the crowd those girls were part of. As she pursues the case it gets curiouser and curiouser.

I loved this book and highly recommend it.

I have vo
Johnna Whetstone
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars or more! What an excellent, unputdownable thrilling book! I picked it up and had the hardest time to set it down, even when my little monkeys needed help. The characters are well developed and the story is written in a superbly fast paced, and just one of those books that will absolutely have your mind reeling! It will absolutely chill you to the bones, blow your mind with twists and turns and shocks, and keep you wound up like a yo-yo with it’s suspense! Grab your copy today, as you do ...more
Donna Hines
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
When three freshman college girls go missing you do what you must to find them!
So it's no surprise when extreme measures are taken to infiltrate this inner circle and find the truths behind the mysteries.
Are these girls alive?
Where are they and how much time do they have left?
Time is not on their side but perhaps with Shea on the case he can stop this ticking time bomb before it all explodes.
What if those trusted with powers of authority are snakes in disguise?
What if the girls are in imminent d
Cindy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Standalone murder mystery that has a 23 yr old Buffalo police officer going undercover as a 18 year old freshman in college to find out what happened to three college girls who just vanished.

This isn't Shea O’Connor first time going undercover for the FBI. Her previous assignment with them left her traumatized after bringing down a serial killer. Gonna be honest here I would have loved for this book to had been about that case!!

The story is fast paced and keeps you engaged till the very end.
Alexa
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok, This book was written by a former cold case detective which makes it a) pretty cool and b) super legit. (All my “does that really happen?” questioning was put to rest.)

2. I liked this book a lot more than I expected. I didn’t want to put it down until I solved the mystery (which was pretty close to the end).

3. The main character was lovely. The other (mini) story arc focusing on her personal life made her relatable.

Thank you net galley for the arc!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn, #8)
  • The Lucky Ones
  • All We Buried (Sheriff Bet Rivers #1)
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • The Missing Sister
  • My Perfect Wife
  • Flowers on Her Grave (Detective Katie Scott, #3)
  • The Holdout
  • Dear Edward
  • The Other People
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Grace Is Gone
  • Separation Anxiety
  • The God Game
  • Single
  • The Stranger's Wife (Detective Dan Riley, #3)
  • Ghosts of Harvard
Lissa Marie Redmond is a retired cold case homicide detective. She handled a number of high-profile cases and has appeared on numerous television shows including Dateline, The Nightmare Next Door, and Murder by Numbers. She is the author of the Cold Case Investigation series. A member of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and International Thriller Writers, she lives in western New York ...more