Start by marking “Camp Spirit” as Want to Read:
Camp Spirit

Camp Spirit

Summer camp is supposed to be about finding nirvana in a rock garden... But Elodie prefers Nirvana and Soundgarden. Can she confront rambunctious kids, confusing feelings, and supernatural horrors all at once?

Summer 1994: with just two months left before college, Elodie is forced by her mother to take a job as a camp counselor. She doesn't know the first thing about nature
Published March 23rd 2020 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about Camp Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Camp Spirit

Start your review of Camp Spirit
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I never went to a summer camp once as a kid, so I don't know why this is the case, but I'm such a sucker for summer camp stories. When I saw that this was set in the 90s, too? Sold. I'm so glad I picked this cute little graphic novel up, because I enjoyed it SO much. It was absolutely hilarious, I was living for the goth/grunge main character, the music references were delightful, and Elodie's little band of redheaded misfits... I seriously was almost in tears laughing over some of their antics. ...more
Briar's Reviews
90s culture. Sassiness. Sarcasm. Canadian. Graphic Novel.

Elodie gets forced by her Mother to work as a camp counselor over the summer and it is NOT what she wanted to do. This gothic delight loves Nirvana and rock bands, but instead is being forced to deal with people she didn't want to see (yuck, schoolmates... popular and NERDY school mates...) and munchkins.

Arrows are shot at everyone, and the fallout is hilarious. The kids swear and taunt Elodie, and it's hysterical. Star Wars and Nirvana r
Chad
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Starts off as kind of a 90's version of Meatballs set in Quebec. Elodie is a 90's grunge kid forced by her mother to become a camp councilor. She's introverted and not an outdoor kind of girl at all. She's assigned to monitor an unruly gang of redhead girls who ask lots of inappropriate questions. It's all lighthearted and fun with great expressive art. Lenoir excels at character relationships and sending up situations we've all been in before, like having to use public restrooms and showers. Ab ...more
Mir
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic
I personally would have preferred slightly more supernatural scariness and sightly less teen angst, but then I'm not a teen.

I was slightly disappointed/confused by the bit near the end, after the attack, which seemed to imply that (view spoiler) Just a dream?

So overall, very well executed, just not quite as much oomph as I expected. But I guess life tends to be disappointing like
Lost in Book Land
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maybe you have noticed a lot of my reviews lately are E-ARCs! That is because I have been on a huge Netgalley kick. I have had a Netgalley account for a long time and requested books on there, my list has piled up quite a bit and its honestly because I had been on a different kind of reading kick (usually reading stuff from my bookcases) but recently I have just been wanting to read all the Netgalley books and in the past two weeks alone I think I have finished five plus, with like three more in ...more
Stay Fetters
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
"Hate calms me. I thrive on chaos."

This graphic novel sounded like a great blast from the past, something where I would get to relive my childhood but it gave me nothing but a headache.

It was dreadfully boring. Who knew that urban legends and demons could be so boring?

laurel [the suspected bibliophile]

Trigger warning: homophobia (challenged), death of an animal

Elodie is stuck as a camp counselor, but she knows nothing of the outdoors or children. And she's got the worst bunch of campers ever—a group of foul-mouthed, red-haired demons who weirdly take a shine to her. On top of that, there's something weird about the camp chief and Elodie has an odd attraction to a fellow counselor...

It was good, but a lot weirder than I anticipated?

I absolutely adored the red-heads. They were horrible
Daniella
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I do have an innate love of spooky, supernatural camp stories and opposites attract love interests. Seventeen year old Melody "Elodie" Larivière does not want to spend her summer being a camp counsellor. She doesn't want to be responsible for a group of rowdy redheads, and she certainly does want to be stuck with little miss perfect Catherine. But that's what her mother has in store for her. It doesn't help that the camp leader is eccentric and somewhat creepy, and that the st ...more
Renata
ok ok I think everyone has their THINGS in fiction that are hard to overlook...like for people who know more about actual science I imagine it's harder to accept comic book science, whereas I'm prepared to go "mm yes gamma radiation seems legit." however, "take a 17-year-old with no childcare experience, let her miss summer camp training, and immediately put her in solo charge of a group of kids"??? does NOT seem legit even in the 1990s in Canada. CMON that's CHAOS. at least the 13-year-old Baby ...more
Brianna - Coffee Books and Bullet Journals

Wow... this graphic novel was as long and boring as this quarantine... I requested this because I was a camp counselor in college and loved my summers there. But it was so unrealistic and the stakes were so low. Apparently this was supposed to be scary? I was so bored I didn’t want to continue reading, but had already invested so much time I needed to finish.
Rod Brown
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Forced by her mother to take a summer camp counselor position in the wilds of Quebec, 17-year-old Elodie is at first worried the accommodations and the kids will overwhelm her, but it's the supernatural events she thinks she sees happening that start to drive her over the edge. By turns funny and eerie and even romantic, this reminded me a lot of John Allison's Giant Days in the dialogue and art. Highly enjoyable! ...more
skylar lokota
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rtc, read-in-2020
Made my heart happy :)
...
rtc
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I enjoyed this graphic novel a lot - the characters were very quirky, had an authentic voice, and the milieu of the 1990s in Canada was evocatively captured. Yes, it does read very much like a Mary Sue for the author; all the same, there is a lot of heart and genuine warmth here, even at its most irreverent moments. As soon as the story ended, I wanted to reread it again immediately.

Story: Elodie's in her last year of
Bam Jam
Mar 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-a-copy
I spotted this while perusing through the graphic novels section of NetGalley and the cover looked so adorable! The summary promised a good ol' fashioned summer-camp-set story, reminiscent of 'Lumberjanes'.

Trigger warnings: negative discussion and depiction of fat people, fetishization of lesbians

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this graphic novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher and author for the opportunity.

What I Liked
-The art style was so charming!
Star
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an e-ARC to read and review. Which I forgot to download, and then had to buy on iBooks to read *sweats in idiocy*

That was all kinds of weird, funny, and awesome.

Camp Spirit is an awesome graphic novel that not only was so amazingly sapphic, but it was also a mystery, too.
I adored the art style in this book, as well as the pacing of the plot.
The start had me intrigued because this is set in the 90s, and I am a sucker for almost anything set in the 90s
Jenna
An amazing blend of Lumberjanes and Giant Days, with a splash of Steeple-level creepiness. Enjoyed the drawing style and musical theme, even if I wasn’t really a fan of those bands and never went to a summer camp in any capacity. Elodie’s chaotic group of redheads were hilarious if a bit intimidating. I don’t think I could handle them.

Will look out for more by this author!
Natalie
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Give me anything with queer rep in it and I will read it!
I love graphic novels and wish I read more of them; especially those with gorgeous graphics and a sapphic twist. Highly recommend Camp Spirit if that sounds similar to your interests :)
Kelly Spoer
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Where was this when I was a teenager in the 90s.
I would probably would have figured out I liked girls a lot earlier.
Kristian Walls
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun angsty summer camp adventure featuring creepy and goofy characters, possible paranormal shenanigans, a lovable group of rambunctious redheads, and a sweet and swoon worthy love story.
The drawing and coloring was perfect. I love Lenoir’s range from quirky to serious she absolutely nailed each and every frame.
The fantastic cast of unforgettable characters is where Camp Spirit shines most. I loved this various cast especially Elodie and Catherine, who had a fantastic connection.
I was honestly
Morgan McNeil
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect from this book, but it turned out to be a fab graphic novel! It's hard to put it in a box-- it's got some elements of a good romcom alongside some supernatural stuff going on, but it was a great time. The camp setting really worked for me, and you ALWAYS love to see a sweet f/f romance. I'd especially recommend this for a fun, fast summer read. ...more
Elia
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Starts out as a story about a 90's teen who gets forced to work a summer job at a sleep-away camp by her mom to help earn some money for college, and then not only turns into a supernatural story, but also a story about young love and discovering who you really are.
Very fun little book, great art and a heartwarming message.
Macklin R
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, lgbtq, graphic-novels
A slow burn f/f romance with some wild supernatural elements. We love to see it
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I couldn't help myself after seeing this took place in the 90's. I had to request it.

Camp Spirit is definitely an odd graphic novel, but I really enjoyed it. Elodie doesn't want to be a camp counselor, but she gives it a try. After camp, she'll be in college. Also, she slept with a guy that her best friend was attracted to and it caused a bit of friction.

Right away, Elodie realizes this isn't the camp she expected. The camp chief tells this weird story, the legend of bear lake forest. They sing
sarah
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2020
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me with a free arc in exchange for an honest review.

This was really good. I don't usually connect or get attached to graphic novels but I loved the characters and the f/f romance so much. The plot was engaging and entertaining and the only complaint I have is that it was resolved too quickly and not very clearly.
Galleywampus -
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
It has the girls-at-camp-with-possible-supernatural-goings-on (but a little less friendship-is-magic) of Lumberjanes, but not so reflective and moody as Honor Girl. In the middle of all of that, though, you've got a well-plotted, tidy, thoughtful little series with entertaining characters, humor, and some sweet things to say about all sorts of relationships. Definitely a winner for me. ...more
Hannah Rathjen
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, this novel was really delightful to read. From the ridiculous comedy to the lovable characters to the charming artstyle, the whole thing was a blast. The story follows Elodie, who is a few months away from starting college, starting with her mom forcing her to serve as a counselor at a summer camp. Elodie is a ball-of-angst Nirvana fan, and unfortunately for her, she gets assigned a group of the most unruly redheads at the camp. However, soon enough these redheads and Elodie take a liki ...more
Joey Vichio
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD. What an unexpected little find this was! And I do quite literally mean “unexpected find.” I was shelving in the kids department at B&N and I came across this comic, faced out. I loved the cute artwork and flipped through it. I realized after seeing half naked girls and countless swear words that this was NOT a children’s book. So I took it back to the desk with me and began reading the first few pages and I was absolutely hooked. I came home with it last night and finished it this mor ...more
Esha
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an eARC from @netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book was just straight up a fun time! I didn’t entirely know what to expect going into it which I think was a good thing; if I’d had any preconceived notions I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much. The graphic novel does leave many unanswered questions, and does feel more like a surface-story, but beyond that I had a great time with it. I would definitely recommend this as a lightheaded and fast rea
DeAnne
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.

Though I had never heard of this graphic novel, as soon as I read the synopsis I wanted to pick it up. Set in the 90s at a summer camp that has a spooky legend woven into it's history. The main character, Elodie, wants to be anywhere but there - but she's stuck at the camp being a camp counselor.

The story and characters were so quirky and the art style perfectly suited that. While some of the elements of the plot were kind of
Katie Mosbacker
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.75 stars

This was a fun Graphic Novel to read. I loved the 90s vibe and all of the sarcasm that went on through this novel. Thanks for all the awesome Star Wars references! I enjoyed the cartoon-like style. Can we talk about the craziness of these redheads lol! Loved it! Quick Read!

I was given a free copy of this graphic novel from IDW Publishing/Top Shelf Productions with assistance from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »