Start by marking “The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition” as Want to Read:
The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition

The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition

Published February 4th 2020 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition

Start your review of The Paper Bag Princess 40th anniversary edition
Paige
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-kids
The 40th Anniversary Edition includes bonus content that includes a short one page Note to Readers from Chelsea Clinton explaining the meaning of the story to her and its importance in her life. Next, is a two page article by Francesca Segal called Stand Up To Dragons. In this two page article, Francesca Segal proves the timelessness of the story and its relevance today. She includes examples such as the #MeToo movement, misogyny, and cronyism. In the end of the book, there is a two page ...more
Briar's Reviews
When I was growing up, The Paper Bag Princess was one of my go to books. I'm not kidding, I knew that story inside out and could recite it without the book. As I got older, I lost that ability to recite this book without hesitation, but the memories are still there. This book holds a special place in my heart! Robert Munsch is a genius!

So, as the story suggests there is a Princess. Her name is Elizabeth! She is beautiful, lives in a big fancy castle, is engaged to Ronald, and has everything her
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: clever children of all ages
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
I first read The Paper Bag Princess some decades ago on the recommendation of a school librarian. Now Annick Press has reissued the slim book about a valiant princess who rescues a not-so-noble prince. For 40 years, this picture book has taught young girls that they can save themselves and that boys who judge them on looks rather than character don’t deserve them. I’m so glad that a third generation of boys and girls will get the pleasure of this delightful book and its important message.

In the
Jen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a classic and I am glad to see that it is getting a special anniversary edition. My favorite part of the book was actually the afterward where the author's wife was talking about how he came up with story. I love little behind the scene glimpses like that. I highly recommend this edition of the book, for that part alone. 4, this takes me back, stars!

My thanks to NetGalley and Annick Press Ltd. for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.
Alicia Bayer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This re-release of the classic story has a preface by Chelsea Clinton and another by Francesca Segal, plus an endnote by Munsch's wife where we learn that it was actually her idea for Robert to finally tell a story where the princess does the rescuing. Otherwise, the book itself is the same wonderful story with the same illustrations. It's a great book for girls and boys, with a short story that's perfect for bedtime, an important message, and good illustrations.

I read a temporary digital ARC of
Etienne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was great! Feminist fairy tales! Very funny and good, it plays with the gender stereotypes and can be useful to talk about those with kids. Awesome book in today time, and even greater if we consider it was written 40 years ago!!
OjoAusana
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*received for free from netgalley fot honest review* How have I never read this book?! I honestly am shocked my mother never bought this book for me as a child but so happy I found it now! I really loved this story and the illustrations as well! adorable book and I really loved the parent reading in the front, very informational!
Sharon Tyler
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Paper Bag Princess is a classic picturebook and I was excited to see as a 40th anniversary edition by Robert Munsch being released on February 4 2020. 40 years. 7 million copies. 1 kick-ass princess who has inspired four generations of readers to stand up for themselves. How do you celebrate an occasion as special as 40 years in print for a book as beloved as The Paper Bag Princess? You track down some of the most poignant commentary about the story; you share behind-the-scenes insights from ...more
Amanda
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A classic! This has always been one of my favorite children's books. Beautifully illustrated and whimsical - this edition includes a small introductory note from Chelsea Clinton, and a copy of an article from Francesca Segal on the impact that Paper Bag Princess had on her life, and now on a new generation of girls. Paper Bag Princess has always reminded me to be like Elizabeth - be full! Be wild! Be clever! Be fearless! Be adventurous! Stand up to those who don't love you for your full self! ...more
Terrie Case
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A good book in which a princess uses her brain to outwit a dragon and save the prince.

The story is about a dragon, a prince, and a princess. The dragon burns down the princess’ castle with everything she has, including her clothes. The only thing left for her to put on to over herself is a paper bag. The dragon took Prince Ronald to his lair. Princess Elizabeth sets off to find Ronald. She uses the dragons pride and ego to show her how he burns forests and travels the world. By the time she is
DeAnna Thames
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A true feminist children’s book. A princess faces insurmountable odds but she over comes them and saves the day. She outsmarts the bad guy and rescues the prince only to discover he was not a prince she wanted or needed. A great quick bedtime read to encourage children.
Elaine
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-babies-books
Title: The Paper Bag Princess

Author: Robert Munsch

Genre: Fiction, Children, Classic, Illustrated, Fairy tale, Princess, Dragons.

Plot: Princess Elizabeth is spunky, clever and madly in love with the handsome and pretty Prince Ronald. But there's a tiny wrench in her wedding plans: a local dragon. This dragon further throws things into chaos by attacking and burning down the castle, including all of the fine clothes in Elizabeth's wardrobe and then the dragon carries off Prince Ronald as his
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved: I LOVED the Girl Power stuff happening in this book! The very last few sentences had me jaw-dropped and then applauding. I am not even kidding.

How I Felt: Oh my gosh you guys!!! This is the 40th anniversary of this book, but it’s my first time reading it. And to tell you the truth, I think I loved it more than my daughter. It definitely spoke to me and I “got” it more, but she’ll get there. I was just going along with the book, watching this girl outsmart this dragon over and over
joyce w. laudon
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how it is that I never read this book. It feels like a classic. This edition is the 40th anniversary one of The Paper Bag Princess. This is a modern fairy tale for both our daughters and sons. Elizabeth, the princess of the title, is plucky, brave and clever. Her prince, Robert, does not appreciate her talents, even though the untidy Elizabeth rescues him from a dragon. What happens at the end? Read the book to find out.

This edition has an introduction by Chelsea Clinton and a short
Miranda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't ever remember reading this as a child, and that fact makes me a little sad. This is the glorious tale of a girl who sets out to save her prince and realizes that she doesn't actually need that prince. This is a tale that every girl needs to read at least once.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.
Susan Underbrink
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A big thank you to NetGalley and Annick Press for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. This is a wonderful fun story. It's short and the Princess is fantastic. Wonderful. 5 stars. The Prince definitely didn't deserve her!!
Critterbee❇
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Classic story that seems as fresh today as it was 40 years ago! A must-have for any children's collection - library or personal. Just a lovely book for gifting.

*eARC Netgalley
Jill
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't find this to be my favorite of his Stories. I appreciated the simple reminder that we shouldn't let our difficulties control our futures.
Shauna Morrison
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I requested and received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley and Annick Press publishers in exchange for an honest review.

This book is just as awesome as it was 40 years ago! Robert Munsch has always been one of my favourite authors. I love that Elizabeth is feisty and smart and doesn’t care what Ronald thinks because he is a bum.

Thank you, Mr. Munsch, for so many amazing books.

#ThePaperBagPrincess40thanniversaryedition #NetGalley
Stacey DeCotis (Reading in the Middle Grades)
40 years later, The Paper Bag Princess is still a classic. I appreciated the foreword and afterword with the background on how the story was created. It is a great reminder for girls everywhere that their story doesn't have to involve being saved by anyone - that you are strong as you are. Elizabeth is a clever trickster by challenging the dragon to fly several times and become exhausted enough to fall asleep. She then cleverly rescues the prince that was held captive by the dragon. His greeting ...more
Christine D

• Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Bon Voyage, Mister Rodriguez
  • Greta and the Giants: inspired by Greta Thunberg's stand to save the world
  • Snapdragon
  • Frankenstein Doesn't Start Food Fights (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #47)
  • Strange but True: 10 of the world's greatest mysteries explained
  • The Wendy Project
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • The Incredibly Dead Pets of Rex Dexter
  • The Little Mermaid
  • The Berenstain Bears: Hospital Friends
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit Grizzlyland
  • The Berenstain Bears' Bedtime Blessings
  • The Berenstain Bears: We Love Our Dad!/We Love Our Mom!
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in