Start by marking “Phantom Song (Toccata System #2)” as Want to Read:
Phantom Song (Toccata System #2)

Phantom Song

(Toccata System #2)

Angel of music. Instrument of justice.

As the fashionably veiled operatic sensation of Landry City, Claire Leroux is adored by the masses. But Claire must never let her fans discover what hides behind her mask--a body that’s half-machine and hellbent on vengeance.

Offstage, Claire hunts for the man whose violent act made her a cyborg and killed her parents. The people of Lan
Published August 9th 2019 by Spells & Spaceships Press

To ask other readers questions about Phantom Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom Song

Start your review of Phantom Song (Toccata System #2)
Jenni
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading Phantom Song, and wow! I loved it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed both installments of the Toccata System series and I cannot wait for book three! I loved Phantom Song just as much as I loved Parting Shadows and it was so nice to spend some more time with the characters.

The focus of this novella is on Claire and Iz and what each is willing to sacrifice for the other. I loved both of these ladies so much. It makes my grumpy heart glad when I get to 'meet' a grumpy characte
Tyffany
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t need much to be sold on this book—I was in the moment I realized it was a SciFi retelling of Phantom of the Opera.

But I LOVE how Kate handled this retelling!!! There enough references that I could pick out the classic Phantom story, but she melded it beautifully into her own universe with her own tech, villains, and wonderful worldbuilding. And the characters! I love the characters. I loved seeing Astra and Henry again, and Iz, and Claire is an awesome addition to the cast.

Plus, the e
iam
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced sci-fi f/f retelling of Phantom of the Opera featuring vengeful cyborgs.
What more could you possibly want?!

Content warnings include: violence, death of parents, decribtions of pain and injury, character gets unconsensually turned into a cyborg, discrimination against cyborgs, terrorism.

While Phantom Song plays directly after Parting Shadows, it has different protagonists, and references and vaguely explains the main events of the prequel. I guess it can be read as standalone, but
Grace K
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Y'all this series...*chef's kiss*

Check out my review for book one if you haven't already. Basically, I'm obsessed with Swed's writing. It's beautiful but not flowery and it's so easy to get sucked into these books.

Now, I must admit I know next to nothing about Phantom of the Opera. Luckily, I didn't need to have any background in order to get this book! If you're a fan I'm sure some of the references will stick out to you more. For me, I just thought it was cool cyborgs & spaceships pew pew

I ga
Chasia Lloyd
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The f/f sci-fi Phantom of the Opera we deserve

This great sequel to Parting Shadows borrows a lot of imagery from Phantom of the Opera...then it ramps up both the amount of schemes AND ladies kissing. Claire and Iz are both total badasses. I love this book, and don't know how to review it properly. Maybe I'll just write a Q&A?

Q. Can it be read as a standalone?
A. Yes, but Astra (autocorrect keeps trying to turn her into Extra, which isn't untrue) and Henry are far more enjoyable if you have read t
C.E. Clayton
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
It’s no secret that I’ve always loved the Phantom of the Opera. I adore tragic love stories and gothic vibes. So really, this review shouldn’t surprise anyone as “Phantom Song” was inspired by the original Phantom of the Opera, and the author does some truly marvelous magic weaving in the original with the far-future world she’s built with the Toccata System. How the original phantom of the opera house is brought back with the ghost, and the Phantom Angel guarding over the city (which, honestly ...more
Amy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Firstly I would like to thank Kate Sheeran Swed for providing me an eARC copy of Phantom Song, the sequel to Parting Shadows, which I really enjoyed and also rated 4*.

Phantom Song is the direct sequel to Parting Shadows, picking up where we left Iz, Astra, and Henry, but this time the main characters are different and we follow Iz and her ex-girlfriend Claire. In all honesty I did miss the character of Astra having more of a lead role because I became hooked on her in the last book and think sh
Michelle
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Landry City was made of music."
Music and space and a female Phantom character . . . YES!
Every time I read one of Kate's stories, I fall in love with her writing all over again. This book is such a fantastic, lyrical sci-fi Phantom of the Opera retelling. I loved every moment of this ride loaded with action AND heart, and I can't wait for the next installment in the series!
Kat Byrde
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Phantom of the Opera but make it gay. Oh, and it's in space too.

Not going to lie, this was my favorite book in the series (yes, I've read book three too. I'm just late posting reviews). I finished this book in about two hours. I couldn't put it down! One, I love Phantom, two, I love vigilantes, and three, who doesn't love a good story about revenge?

Picking up where Parting Shadows left off, we have Astra, Iz, and Henry trying to hunt down an individual wanting to cause harm to certain pe
Tanya
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She hides behind a veil and she is a singing star who is adored by everyone. She is hiding a secret which make her can hate her. She is half cyborg and she is looking for revenge on the man who killed her parents and make her into this. Her ex love reappears. What will she do? Will she stay hidden? Will she let them help her? See what will happen

Andreajanel_reads
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate's second installment in the Toccata series is wonderful.

Claire is my favorite character so far in the Toccata Series. She is broken and bold. She is a shadow and an icon. She was rescued by SATIS, yet forged her own life and mission.

This is a story about triumph over tragedy, finding lost love in the ruins, and being defiant enough to hope for new beginnings.

Pat Eroh
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Not for me I suppose. I did not really get into the story from the beginning and just never was able to. I love space opera and such but I suppose just not this.

Susan
Mar 08, 2020
Erin Knuth
Sep 18, 2019
Kate Swed
Jun 20, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
drac.ula
Oct 01, 2019

• Our Stop
  • Collie Jolly
  • Wanderers
  • Team Phison Forever (Team Phison, #2)
  • All's Fair in Dog Bed War (Cajun Two-Step , #1.5)
  • Hiss and Make Up (Bayou Rescue, #1)
  • Your Heart Will Burn (The Absolutes #2)
  • Squeeze Box Belle (Cajun Two-Step, #4)
  • Lucky Charm
  • The Blundering Billionaire
  • My Heart Is Yours (The Absolutes #1.5)
  • Rim Shot Rebound (Cajun Two-Step, #3)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Inland
  • Birthday
  • Who Put This Song On?
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
Kate Sheeran Swed loves hot chocolate, plastic dinosaurs, and airplane tickets. She has trekked along the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu, hiked on the Mýrdalsjökull glacier in Iceland, and climbed the ruins of Masada to watch the sunrise over the Dead Sea. She holds degrees in music from the University of Maine and Ithaca College, as well as an MFA in Fiction from Pacific University. Her stories are ...more

Toccata System (3 books)
  • Parting Shadows (Toccata System #1)
  • Prodigal Storm (Toccata System #3)

News & Interviews