Start by marking “Liberation” as Want to Read:

Liberation

Hero. Soldier. Spy. Leader. Her name is Nancy Wake.

To the Allies, she was a fearless freedom fighter, a special operations legend, a woman ahead of her time. To the Gestapo, she was a ghost, a shadow, the most wanted person in the world.

But at first, Nancy Wake was just another young woman living in Marseilles and recently engaged to a man she loved. Then France fell to th
Published April 28th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Liberation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberation

Start your review of Liberation
Literary Redhead
I’ve read three books recently on Nancy Wake, the Gestapo’s most wanted Allied spy. One reveals her inner life with gusto. Another gives a literary twist that graces the narrative. LIBERATION reads like fast-paced cinema hued by imagined characters and events.

But Nancy’s life needs no embellishment. A gutsy beauty armed with red lipstick, guns and the ability to kill the enemy with one hand, she was perhaps the most successful spy in the French Resistance and as an SOE (Secret Operations Execut
Theresa Smith
Apr 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
I had such high hopes for this novel but after only a few chapters, it was apparent these hopes were to be well and truly dashed. The novel reads like the ‘Hollywood Blockbuster’ it is promoted as becoming. All action, crass conversation, an overabundance of swearing and lewd intention, with little to no depth of feeling.
The French men are depicted as animals and Nancy herself appears as a cross between Wonder Woman and Jessica Rabbit. As an ode to Nancy Wake, a truly inspirational and brave wom
Pauline
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The story of Nancy Wade an Australian woman married to a French citizen and living in Marseille during World War Two.
Nancy works with the resistance to stand up to the Nazi occupation and this makes her a target of the Germans who want her caught and they put a high price on her head.
A frightening and sad story of the time and the ordinary people who showed compassion and bravery to help others.
Thank you to NetGalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Zoe
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, compelling, and inspiring!

Liberation is an intriguing, adventurous interpretation of the life of Nancy Wake, an Australian runaway who became known by the Nazis as the White Mouse after she used the status and money acquired by her marriage to French Industrialist, Henri Fiocca to aid the French resistance and later as a trained SOE office for Britain help them prepare for D-Day.

The prose is vivid and tense. The characters are vulnerable, resourceful, and courageous. And the plot, s
Maine Colonial
I received a free publisher's advance review copy.

It became clear to me early on that this book was written by its co-authors with a film dramatization in mind. It’s all made-for-the-screen dialog, and action, action, action. It’s full of 21st-century sensibility and language, too.

If this were pure escapist fiction, this would be an entertaining lightweight read. But Nancy Wake was a real person, and her true story deserves better than the slick, superficial drama presented in this book. The aut
Kate
This is an excellent novel, telling the true (if adapted) story of SOE captain and heroine Nancy Wake, focusing on her activities in the Resistance during 1943 and 1944. It's an incredible story of courage, bravery and madness brought on by extreme hardship and suffering. It's packed with action and intrigue and it also has some wonderful character portraits. Nancy Wake is undoubtedly the star but others compete for our attention, too. An excellent novel that also reminds us that bad times do pa ...more
Jo
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, war
by Darby Kealey and Imogen Robertson
Nancy Wake was a woman who I have always found fascinating, not only for her efforts during the second world war where she distinguished herself as a heroine. But also as a free thinking woman who never coward away from doing what was right. Liberation gives us a glimpse into Nancy's exploits during WWII.

This is a story about love, war and making a difference.
Renee
A rollicking adventure & fabulously entertaining listen! Based on the resistance work of real-life Aussie spy, Nancy Wake or the White Mouse.

Publisher’s Weekly writes: “. . . fast pace, vivid set pieces, and a believable, larger-than-life protagonist. Featuring plenty of espionage and a memorable female lead, this is a cinematic treat for fans of wartime adventure novels.”

(Strong & crude language, violence)
Dawn McGill Dalrymple
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm always so inspired when I read historical fiction and the obstacles the characters go thru. This book has added significance since it is about Nancy Wake a real life heroine. A native Australian who marries a rich French businessman Nancy's story is an amazing one. Especially to think about all she did in a male dominated world of the 1930s and 40s. Her bravery is amazing. This book definitely reads as a movie so I was pleasantly surprised to read that it is going to be one so I can't wait t ...more
BookTrib.com
What an engrossing historical thriller!

We're giving away this book! Enter before 5/28/2020 to win here:
Ron
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, could not put it down. Hope the movie is 1/2 as good as the book!
CLM
Disappointing, except for the glimpse of Vera Atkins!
Helen
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘No wonder they’d sent her. German soldiers might stop and stare at her, but they’d never believe she was a spy. The best disguise we have is the assumptions other people make about us. Nancy knew that better than anyone.’

Imogen Kealey (Imogen Robertson) (Darby Kealey) have done a fabulous job in my opinion of co-writing this book. Being Australian, I am familiar with Nancy Wake and I found this account to be action packed and fast moving. Together, these two authors regale some of the heroic ev
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: two-star
I really hoped to love this book; it features just about everything I love when it comes to historical fiction, notably a strong female lead. The two main issues I had with this book are that a) where fact stopped and fiction took over felt disjointed and unnatural, I wish the authors had just stuck to one - and b) as the book is soon to be adapted onto screen, most of the story just doesn’t translate well into a novel. It feels more like a script.

While I appreciate the true story of the legend
Helen Lewis
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The story of Nancy Wake, Nancy Fiocca, aka the White Mouse. Nancy was a member of the French resistance. Married to Henri Fiocca, who financed many of her early negotiations. When he was picked up by the Gestapo, Nancy fled to Britain, where she was trained as a spy by the SOE.

While this story is based on fact, the author has taken literary license in the telling of her story. Dates, situations and people have been fictionalized to some extent.

Nancy trained and worked with the French Resistance
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker

'The must-read thriller inspired by the true story of Nancy Wake, the most decorated servicewoman of the Second World War, soon to be a major blockbuster film.

To the Allies she was a fearless freedom fighter, special operations super spy, a woman ahead of her time. To the Gestapo she was a ghost, a shadow, the most wanted person in the world with a five-million Franc bounty on her head.

Her name was Nancy Wake.

Now, for the first time, the roots of her legend are told in a thriller about one woman
Ashley
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had me captivated from start to finish! I had never heard of Nancy Wake before and I can't get enough of her. She was smart, sassy, and a female nazi hating superhero! I can't wait to see the movie and read more about this incredible woman! ...more
Joann
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read about the French resistance fighters and the run up to D Day. I couldn’t put it down. The book is historical fiction. However, Nancy Wake, many of the supporting characters and many of the events in the book are true. Nancy was one of the most decorated women of WWII.
Heather
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don’t read a lot of historical fiction, but I was drawn to this one as it is grounded in the real life of Nancy Wake. The book is fast-paced and draws you in to a story of bravery and persistence.
Colleen Thompson
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy novels set during World World II, Liberation is a fascinating, dynamic, and entertaining read about one of the gutsiest women to have aided in the liberation of occupied France. Before reading this novel, I'd heard and read little about the real-like Nancy Wake, but this novel opened a window into the life of one of the toughest, bravest women imaginable. A British-trained agent sent to aid the French resistance after the capture and torture of her own beloved French husband, Nancy ...more
Christine
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't bad but I wasn't exactly enamored of it. Nancy, a young Australian journalist, is living in Marseilles in 1943 during the Nazi occupation. She is disgusted by the Nazis and after seeing a rally decided she will do anything she can to fight them., even risking her life and joining the resistance. She is the "White Mouse" , not just a part but the head of the resistance. She has just married an older and wealthy man Henri. Henri helps finance many of the activities of the group. S ...more
Ellie J.
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars
Recommended for people who like:
historical fiction, based on true stories, WWII, history, multiple POVs, spying, guerrilla warfare

I will start by saying I'm not entirely sure of my feelings on this book. I started it and wasn't a fan of the narrations style, so I put off actually reading it for a while. It probably isn't anything about the writing of this book in particular, more about the way a lot of adult books are written, that turns me off. I don't really know how to describe it,
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Master spy, heroine and trailblazer during the war Nancy Wake receives the historical fiction treatment in the first novel by Imogen Kealy. Liberation combines the penmanship of historical fiction writer Imogen Robertson and writer/producer Darby Kealey. This double author construction presents a very stylized presentation of the life of a notorious veteran of the Second World War.

Imogen Kealey’s Liberation aims to illuminate the colourful and dangerous life
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Nancy Wake, the WWII resistance heroine who died in 2011, age 98, has been having a moment. Satisfying readers’ hunger for fiction about real-life women from the 20th century, several novelists have been inspired by her daring accomplishments, including Ariel Lawhon (Code Name Hélène). Now Imogen Kealey offers their own version in the novel Liberation.

Wake was made of stronger fiber than most of us. After witnessing atrocities in Vienna in the ‘30s, she determined to do her utmost to obliterate
Shannon K
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
"Careful. Everyone wanted Nancy to be careful, polite, sit on the edge of her chair with her knees together and her hands in her lap and never look anyone in the eye. F*** that."

Nancy Wake, a.k.a. The White Mouse, became one of the German's most hunted operatives during WWII. Working first for the French Resistance, and then on behalf of the SOE, Nancy works to gain the respect of the Resistance fighters and together they set out to cause havoc for the Nazi's as the Allied invasion nears.

Nancy W
Catherine Thompson
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nancy Wake was a young woman, married to the love of her life, Henri Fiocca, when the war in France truly began. She worked to help prisoners escape in Marseilles, then found herself drawn into working with the Resistance. She was forced to flee to England when her husband was arrested by the Gestapo, on suspicion of being the Resistance fighter known to the as the White Mouse.

In England, she's accepted into the Special Operations Executive, Churchill's "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare," and d
Stephanie Hummingbird
3.5 for me on the grounds I wanted it to live up to it's potential but a lot fell flat. It made sense that it is in the process of being negotiated as a film, since it read like that. I prefer imperfect real characters, and the attempts to make you feel Nancy is flawless superhuman made it difficult to connect with her. I found myself skimming the last third of the book as nothing of substance was really occurring, and the focus on action and dialogue meant literally all characters were highly u ...more
Scott
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some people just live lives worthy of Hollywood tales, and the Australian-born Nancy Wake was one of those people.

Fleeing an uncomfortably split family, Nancy eventually escaped to southern France where she became a fixture in Marseilles, eventually marrying a wealthy older man Henri. Then World War II broke out, and her already-interesting life became one of legend.

While working quietly for the French Resistance, Nancy achieved notoriety delivering messages, scouting locations, and so on, playi
Sharon
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Liberation" is a fictionalized account of a real-life heroine. Nancy Wake was a New Zealand-born journalist in the period leading up to World War II. She met and married a wealthy French industrialist, Henri Fiocca. She became active in the French Resistance, earning her the nickname "White Mouse" among the Gestapo because she was able to infiltrate numerous sites and pass through checkpoints without being apprehended . She also worked with the British SOE during this period.

The novel puts us s
Elysia
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
One of my favorite things about historical fiction is learning about different woman and men who did amazing things to help protect the Jews and fight against the Nazis.

Liberation is about Nancy Wake, who happens to be a real-life superhero. To the Gestapo, she was called The White Mouse and was the most wanted person in the world. It is amazing to read everything she did to fight this horrible war.

Liberation started off fast pace and really was interesting. Nancy was engaged to the man she lo
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• American Dirt
  • Lanny
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Eye of the Needle
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy #1)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • The Katharina Code: The Cold Case Quartet, Book 1
  • The Sunday Lunch Club
  • A Single Thread
  • Flirting with Fire (Blue Collar Brothers, #1)
  • Bruny
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 2 (Otouto no Otto, #3-4)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • The Authenticity Project
  • The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent, #1)
  • The Rumour
  • Sweet Sorrow
Imogen Kealey is the pseudonym of American screenwriter Darby Kealey and British novelist Imogen Robertson, who bonded over their desire to tell Wake's story ...more

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....