Start by marking “The Best Worst Poet Ever” as Want to Read:
The Best Worst Poet Ever

The Best Worst Poet Ever

Furry rivals Cat and Pug have a rhyme-riddled showdown in this hilarious and delightfully quirky picture book about the joys of writing poetryplayfully imagined by the creator of social media sensation Inkpug!

There once was a Pug and a Cat
Who engaged in a poetic spat

Cat and Pug are each determined to become the Worlds Best Poet, no matter what it takes. Whether theyre
Published August 4th 2020 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Best Worst Poet Ever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Worst Poet Ever

Start your review of The Best Worst Poet Ever
La Coccinelle
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, poetry
This is a fun little book about a poetic spat between a dog and a cat. They each think they're the best poet. They throw quatrains, haikus, and various verses at each other, until they finally realize that maybe, together, their talents can be put to better use.

With touches of humour and a relatable rivalry, The Best Worst Poet Ever shows what happens when a couple of enemies use their respective talents for ill... and for good. There are plenty of insults to go around, and even an instance of
Kristin Guay
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All I kept thinking about while reading this book is that I wish I had it when I was teaching middle school poetry--shows a funny perspective on what it takes to be a poet. In this story, Pug and Cat have decided that they are going to spend the day each writing the best poem ever. Throughout the day, this activity gets a little more competitive (and silly) and they each try different ways to sabotage the other. At one point, Cat steals Pubs polka dot underwear and sends it into space while Pug ...more
Abby Johnson
Cat and Pug are both determined to become the best poet ever, but they each have very different approaches to their goals. These two artists who share a work space don't get along at first - Cat needs order and quiet; Pug needs snacks and the freedom to use his own process. But as these competing poets duel with words, they realize that their feud is sparking some great work. Imagine what a great poem they could write if they teamed up and worked together?!

Brimming with humor, in both the poems
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Pug and Cat are both determined to become the world's best poet--though they have vastly different poetic styles. A battle of wits and words ensues, with rapidly increasing hilarity, until the two realize that maybe they would work better as a team.

This was so much fun! I would have a lot of fun reading this to an elementary school classroom, but I am really looking forward to turning this into a reader's theater script.
Krissy Neddo
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Just not a good fit for my elementary library. Hard to read aloud. Not a fan of font. Lots going on in the text. Kids would check out for art. Grown up reading it may chuckle and/or be frustrated reading the back and forth text, but so much will go over kids heads. I found it rather amusing but most kids will be confused.
Amy
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
There was not very much I liked about this book. Two would-be-poets (a cat and a dog) are battling it out to see who the best poet is. Lots and lots of potty/underwear humor and most of the book is the 2 opponents slinging insults and saying mean things to each other. These are the books I find completely unnecessary and insulting to children.
Tonya
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is so cute! The illustrations are so funny and charismatic. The story is hilarious and has a sweet ending that I think will appeal to children and adults. I was grinning and giggling the entire time I was reading :) This will remain a part of my collection, and I can't wait to read it more with the kids in my life.
Anthony
When an orange cat and a pug set out to write the best poem ever, they each require that the other not bother the other. But they soon find themselves in a battle of verse, and discover that together they can write a better poem together than alone.
Alicia Evans
For: poetry/animal fans; readers looking for a book with rhyme.

Possible red flags: potty humor; fighting; long with difficult to read speech bubbles (background and bubbles are all muted, so it's difficult to see who's talking).
Nicole
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious! A cat and a pug but heads but come up with some great poetry. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because the talk bubbles are hard at times to follow along and figure out who's talking. Other than that, great illustrations and story to introduce poetry to kids!
Beth
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
This would be good for a couple of children to read aloud to kick off a poetry unit.
Edward Sullivan
Cat and Pug's rivalry becomes a rollicking, rhyming showdown in this silly battle of the verses.
Lampley Miguet
Nov 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The haiku about
the pie was adorable
love a cute haiku!
Jenny
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a great book! So funny and so entertaining!
Pinky
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Jennifer Kelley
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute! Would be great for a two person read aloud
SandyKay
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and so fun to read aloud!
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Would work best as a read aloud by two voices. Lots of low-brow humor (farts, underwear, etc.).
Julie
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and funny, a perfect read aloud.
bet mercer
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
a silly poetry book for kids; fun for dog or cat lovers, too
Lisa D

• Not an Alphabet Book: The Case of the Missing Cake
  • Lift
  • On Account of the Gum
  • Picture Book by Dog
  • The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4)
  • After Squidnight