Start by marking “Defender Cave Bear (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Defender Cave Bear (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #1)

Defender Cave Bear

(Protection, Inc: Defenders #1)

Two damaged people. One deadly enemy.
And a pair of hell-raising flying kittens....

Tirzah hacked into a shady agency’s computers to get proof of their evil deeds...and uncovered a secret so wild it can’t possibly be real.

Published August 11th 2019 by Zoe Chant

To ask other readers questions about Defender Cave Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defender Cave Bear

Start your review of Defender Cave Bear (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #1)
Angie
5+ stars! A worthwhile read filled with family, trust, true partnership and plenty of action!

This novel ended up being so much more than I expected! There was so much depth in the storyline which was ever-evolving, the characters who were flawed and real, and in the world Zoe created that was intricately layered. This is one of the few novels I've read that featured a disabled but still strong and capable heroine, and I LOVED that! Tizrah was such a smart, independent and capable heroine, and th
Mary Kirkland
Feb 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Tirzah is a hacker, a really good hacker and that's what got her in danger. When she is almost kidnapped and the kidnapper wants her to delete a file she stole, she knows that she's on to something big. But after decoding it, she knows she needs help.

Pete Valdez is a retired Marine and had been kidnapped and experimented on. He can now shift into a cave bear but keeps a strong hold on it because he see's himself and his animal as a monster who would hurt others. He now works for the Defenders S
Just_ann_now
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle, 2020
Holy cow!
I selected this for an "Out of your comfort zone" challenge - not because I thought any of it would make me uncomfortable, but because it's so different from what I usually read. But, holy cow! If you are looking for something to distract you from coronavirus, politics, climate change, or songbird loss, this is DEFINITELY what you want. SO much fun. Magical flying unicorns! Velociraptor shapeshifter! Extremely well-described hot guys! Sassy, brilliant, eventually-fearless female charact
Deanie Nelder
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
When hacktivist Tirzah uncovers a file about a group called "Apex," she's targeted by an assassin, so she looks for a bodyguard -- and the best in town (Protection, Inc.) turn out to be the same men referred to in the "Apex" file. Her hacking into Protection, Inc. doesn't go unnoticed, and she gets a visit from ex-Marine Pete (as well as two strange flying kittens), who has to help save her when the assassin finds her again.

I love the insanity that is the Protection, Inc.: Defenders series. Ex-s
Pam Collins
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Magical and hilarious!

I highly recommend this fantastical imaginative book and the series that inspired it. I adore all the marvelous creatures, both the ones that can shift to human and those that are beyond amazingly magical. Enjoy!
Coco.V
Sep 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (9/29/2020)! 🎁
Gale Albright
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a real start to our newest Defender Protectors. I love how over the top these characters and their critters are. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Serenechaosnyc
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a spin off of the Protection, Inc series, which is an awesome series and while mention is made to the old team, you don't need to read any of those books before reading this one (Although you should because, again, awesome series). Once again, Zoe Chant does not disappoint- how this author comes up with these imaginative story lines and characters continues to amaze me.

This story revolves around the characters that were first introduced during the last book of the Protection, Inc series,
Amanda
Hmmmm. Not my favorite Zoe Chant read of the handful I've tried out.

This one feels a lot like that OC your friend made, the one who is "half demon, half angel, half werewolf, half vampire, and has amazing powers!!!" I guess what I'm trying to say is, there is a lot going on in here and it's A Bit Much. But I've found a lot of this flavor of fiction can get that way—mixing shifters with powers with magic with mythical creatures with science with secret organizations...with...with...with. Yeah, a
Heather
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Shapeshifting supersoldiers on the run from their creators? A lab studying captive mythical creatures? It has to be some bored employee’s fantasy novel. Right?
Then the flying kitten turns up. And the assassins. And the gargoyles.
But just because Tirzah uses a wheelchair doesn’t mean she’s helpless. Okay, so some secret organization is gunning for her? She’s
Busybeth76
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cave Bear to the Rescue?

Fantasy, magic, and shifters that weren't born that way. This is a new paranormal world of humans experimented on, first for the military, then, apparently, some magical council of wizards. They have escaped from their manipulators and now have created an agency called Protection, Inc. Agent Pete Valdez, is living with his mom and his daughter. He's mentally carrying a load of baggage and then finds his laptop's been hijacked. Tirza Lowenstein is a computer genius. When s
Janice Salotti
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful

I'm not usually a paranormal romance reader, but the mention of flying kittens caught my attention. This was a delightful, sometimes very funny book with great characters. Tirzah isn't a usual heroine. She's in a wheelchair having had a severe accident, but she's a fighter with a secret identity.
Pete is a caring concerned dad who feels he can't share what happened to him with his mother and teen daughter, making his daughter feel unloved just when she got her dad back in her life.
The wr
Lori
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
What fun!

I truly enjoyed this book. Most of the time I was smiling or laughing, and at other times I was remembering being young and knew exactly how I'd feel if a kitten with wings landed on my window. It's got an interesting story and characters that I want to meet in real life. Well, not all of them! This is book #1 and I didn't realize that a series before this one is the backstory to this series. It's definitely not mandatory to read but I think I'm going back in time. The characters from t
Carolyn Davis
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yummy new shifter series.

Pete x-combat marine now body guard, has a huge secret, he is a cave bear shifter, turned against his will.
Taz, is a young woman, with secrets, who needs a body guard, after her alter ego copied a super secret file, that almost got her killed.
A super fast paced romance and action packed story, with more shifter, and an amazing assortment of magical and mythical animals and a deadly threat from wizards.
Read to see how it all entwines into a book that will keep you read
BreRile
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wacky, sexy, funny spinoff to a great series. If Protection Inc on the west coast is the A team, Protectors Inc Defenders is definitely the misfits. While reading the first series isn't required to enjoy this one, they are linked and the stories are interconnected - plus both are fun reads! Tirzah hacker extraordinaire needs a bodyguard and what she finds about Protectors, Inc convince her they're the firm for the job. Pete doesn't take kindly to being hacked but once he meets Tirzah knows he ha ...more
Ikpemesi Ogundare
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read!

This was a fun quick read. I haven’t read the previous serious (yet) but I’m excited to get more familiar with this author and her books. One little hiccup was sometimes words were missing and there were tiny grammar things. I still enjoyed the book immensely but if those things throw you, then heads up. I absolutely loved the representation in this book! I love how Tirzahs disability was handled and I love how Pete never treated her like she was incapable of doing things for herself,
Cassie
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Samantha
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun with action

I’ve not, that I remember, read a book about a main female character differently abled person who uses a wheelchair for mobility. It was written in somewhat flawlessly to make it authentic and still a characteristic like dark hair and brown eyes. The heroine being of Jewish decent (not religious) is also unique. The story is pretty fast paced. Our male lead has a teenaged daughter and mom in the story as well. It’s a great fun afternoon read
Carol
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bearly love

Tirzah and Pete are great characters. Enjoyed the laughs and quirky parts.
The story did not unfold as I expected after reading blurb. It was different and better.
Some minor issues, one her alter ego would never have gone unnoticed by government. They would have found her and offered deal to work for them wo being charged with crimes. But enjoyed it too much to care.
Rhonda Jones
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good Story

Pete is a cave bear shifter. And my does that match his personality. He is growly and over protective and does not like to open up. Thankfully Tirzah is his opposite. She is friendly and giving and oh so smart. But she is in danger, so a growly over protective shifter is exactly what she needs. I really liked the storyline. It was filled with suspense, action, and bad guys. And the book had a great ending.
Brenda K Rhame
Love the chaos!

When people become shifters and pets become magical chaos reigns. Defenders Inc. though is there to tame the chaos and to help guide the non magical beings through the obstacle course called life. Love this book and looking forward to reading about the rest of the crew!
Rosa Maria Garcia
Great Book

Enjoyed the book immensely and it keeps your attention from beginning to end. It has everything you want in a romance with plenty of action, drama, magical creatures, love, and steamy hot romance with awesome characters? A must buy and keep them coming they are awesome.
Pamela Street Gramlisch
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great start to spin-off series

This starts with Pete Valdoz who is ex-military and is also a prehistoric cave bear shifter due to be experimented on unwillingly by some psycho wizards.
Later me meets his mate Tirzah Lowenstein who is human and a computer hacker also disabled from an accident .
Jill K. Davis
Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Flying kittens, and love? Yes, please!

I didn't read the Protection, Inc. Series, and but I will. I was glad that the tie ins most seemed to come mostly at the end. I felt Tirzah was an idiot in the first scene, and was glad she wasn't through the whole book. I loved Pete, and Caro, but my favorites were the pets!
angela gunstone
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Defender cave bear

Loved the characters and the storyline and couldn't put it down now can't wait to read more in this series so it's a well deserved five stars and I would recommend this book to everyone
Carlottawoolcock
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good men, smart fearless women, and flying kittens.

The book had me at the flying fighting kittens. But even better, the people who the kittens adopt, are people who have many barricades physically and emotionally to overcome. It is the start of a great series.
Belinda Thompson
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perseverance and love

I am thrilled with the first book in this Protection Inc companion series. Pete is completed in a way he never even knew existed by his mate and his new life. His teammates are so different and I can’t wait to hear all pf their stories. Highly recommend!
Peg
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Expect the unexpected

Loved this book. The characters were unusual but worked great in this book. Definitely paranormal, definitely unexpected and I definitely enjoyed it. I definitely recommend this book to EVERYONE.
Linda K Moore
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun and Fantastical!

A delightful combination of myth, imagination and modern technology wrapped in a fun tale of adventure and romance. Interesting characters and a fast paced story line make for a fun read. Looking forward to the rest of the series!
S Wylie
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love these Defenders!

Great writing, suspense, and characters. Story moves t a smooth pace and keeps your attention. Parts make you laugh with action parts.
Can't wait to read the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Hunt
  • Dragon Meets Girl (Forgotten Dragons, #2)
  • Dragon to the Rescue (Forgotten Dragons, #3)
  • Found by Frost (Wings, Wands and Soul Bonds, #1)
  • Fire Breathing Armand (Dragons of the Bayou, #5)
  • Dragon Next Door (Forgotten Dragons, #1)
  • Fire Dragon's Bride (High House Draconis, #1)
  • Hutch (Bears of Burden, #3)
  • Dig Deeper (Keepers of the Swamp, #2)
  • Max (Three Silverback Bears And A Baby, #1)
  • Nathanial (Dragon Elements #2)
  • Wolf Soldier (She-Shifters of Hell's Corner, #3)
  • Sam (Bears of Burden, #5)
  • Nanny to the Bear (Burning Falls Shifters, #4)
  • Winter Bearland
  • Blaine (Dragon Elements #1)
  • Bunny Hearts Bear (Heartland Shifters, #2)
  • Dragons' Prize (Nightflame Dragons, #4)
Zoe Chant loves writing paranormal romance. Over a cup of tea (or something stronger) she whips up sexy tales of hunky heroes and adventurous heroines to tantalize and satisfy her readers. Sizzling hot romance, no cliffhangers!

While series should ideally be read in order, all of Zoe’s books are standalones and can be read in any order. This includes books within series.

To get a free book for subs

Protection, Inc: Defenders (3 books)
  • Defender Raptor (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #2)
  • Defender Hellhound (Protection, Inc: Defenders, #3)