Start by marking “Ringlet and the Day the Oceans Stopped” as Want to Read:
Ringlet and the Day the Oceans Stopped

Ringlet and the Day the Oceans Stopped

An eleven-year-old mergirl has better things to do than save the oceans from deadly stagnation. Except there’s no one else. And worse still, something monstrous is hellbent on stopping her. It’s Ringlet against time and tides ... and there’s not much left of either.
Published July 18th 2019 by Ahoy!

To ask other readers questions about Ringlet and the Day the Oceans Stopped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ringlet and the Day the Oceans Stopped

Start your review of Ringlet and the Day the Oceans Stopped
Susan Gorrie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pacy underwater adventure of mergirl Ringlet’s fight , against time, to save the oceans.
Highly original, entertaining and delightful language providing a story of adventure with an ecological message.
Jackie Cook
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I like most about this book is the balance. Felicity Williams is so skilled at keeping us gripped by the story, and yet entertained by the interaction of the characters. We very quickly come to care about them, and we want to know more - yet at the same time, part of us is always amused: always enjoying the moments of sheer fun. It's an entertainment, in every sense of the word!

At the same time though, this is a serious book: a story of oceans, at a time when that's a very big topic. It's n
Emilie Martin
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely feel in love with following the adventures of Ringlet in this book. I felt like I had joined her along for the ride during her ups and downs and found myself egging her own and wishing that her memories would come back after she was pushed into the sea of forgetfulness. I think we can all relate to having a Plaitita in our lives in some form or another! I loved the warm themes of friendship throughout and overcoming adversity. Iskee and lumpy custard were delightful and loveable cha ...more
Leo Hamilton
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious tale as Ringlet races time to fulfil a prophecy.

The book is full of depth (pun intended) and details that casts a spell over you and make you keep swimming through the pages.

All the characters had interesting secrets and were very different from each other.

I think all kids should read it, I even told my Mum she had to read it.
Leo (aged 11)
Charlotte
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it exercised my imagination and tickled my fancy. Sometimes I feel like I am in the sea of forgetfulness as well but as long as I have my hair properly coiffed, I know that like Ringlet, I will get through it alright. My 9 year old is reading it now and she can't put it down.
Katie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book. I was really hooked into it while reading. I enjoyed following Ringlet and her colleges throughout their travels. In my opinion Felicity Williams is a great author.
Melanie Phiskie
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. I love the journey of these characters. So original and such a positive message. So fun with lots of humour and the right amount of naughtiness !
Rosie Langley
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We first meet the enchanting Ringlet, mermaid and member of the Great Choir of Mermelodia, when Mer Spirulina unceremoniously, and I think unfairly, expels her from the choir all because of an unfortunate occurrence that arose because of Ringlet’s kindness. If that importunate squid had not badgered Ringlet into making her take him to choir practice, then he wouldn’t have burped foully and vomited disgusting smelly green muck all over the mermaids creating a stinky mayhem. And so our mermaid her ...more
Sahana
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Felicity Williams is truly an adept storyteller, using vivid imagery and developing such multi-dimensional characters! Chignon's character development was just as compelling as that of Ringlet, and readers find themselves cheering the protagonists on through all their obstacles. Williams clearly has powerful command of language, with poetic phrases that cannot help being committed to memory including, "euphonious to cacophonous in one fell swoop!" (14) Overall, highly recommend!
Ruth Renwick
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am ten years old and I thought this book was amazing. I really like the funny parts (I don't want to spoil the read by telling you the best bits). I just think it is a really, really, really, good book!
Francesca Pashby
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
There was lots to enjoy about this debut novel ... some very amusing dialogue, well realised scenes, and a fiesty young mergirl heroine. I just felt that the story was a bit too sophisticated for its most likely audience - upper junior (9/10 year olds) as opposed to intermediate (11/12 year olds).
Marjory Woodfeld
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a celebration of the power of the imagination. All the joy of childhood. It's here.
Sue Billing
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book.... imaginative, comic fantasy, allegorical, funny, innovative language. Look forward to the next one and where Ringlet goes next!
Angus Vincent
sav 🌈
May 15, 2020
Jaxon Rose
Jul 12, 2020

• Things In The Sea Are Touching Me!
  • From a Shadow Grave
  • A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)
  • Sing the Four Quarters (Quarters #1)
  • The NZ Series: Pioneer Women
  • Black Panther, Vol. 4: Avengers of the New World, Part One
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • Lizard's Tale
  • Girl Reporter
  • Mophead
  • The Dawnhounds (Against the Quiet, #1)
  • Power Up! (The Invincibles, #1)
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Wolf of Oren-Yaro (Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • Tui Street Heroes
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Harsu and the Werestoat
  • Wynter's Thief
Felicity Williams kickstarted her career with a QE2 Arts Council grant. Since then she has worked extensively in the creative industries, as a composer, musician, script writer, theatre director and television producer, winning many awards and prizes for both composition and television production. Currently she is the owner of Canvas Bag Drama School in Christchurch, New Zealand, and the rest of t ...more