Start by marking “On the Horizon” as Want to Read:
On the Horizon

On the Horizon

From Lois Lowry comes an account of the lives lost in two of WWII’s most infamous events: Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima. With black-and-white illustrations by Kenard Pak.

Lois Lowry looks back at history through a personal lens as she draws from her own memories as a child in Hawaii and Japan, as well as fromhistorical research, in this work in verse for young readers.

On the
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about On the Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Horizon

Start your review of On the Horizon
Theresa
I was so lucky to pick up an ARC of this book at a meeting. Promoted for ages 10-12, this is a tragic and emotional read about the lives lost in the attack of Pearl Harbor and reciprocal bombing of Hiroshima. Told in 3 parts through magnificent poems about the young and old lives lost and effected during the events, it is heartbreaking for any age. Lowry is able to interweave her childhood and personal connections into the events, making it even more impactful. It is a short read, but one that ...more
Becky
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: On December 7, 1941, early on a Sunday morning, Japanese planes bombed Pearl Harbor, in Hawaii.

Premise/plot: Lois Lowry has written an autobiography in verse focusing on the second world war. The book focuses primarily on two horizons--the first being PEARL HARBOR and the second being HIROSHIMA. I say focuses primarily on those two huge events--their impact and legacy--but it doesn't do so exclusively. Lowry and her family spent time in Japan--her father was stationed there for
Annie
Lois Lowry is (of course) an accomplished and skillful writer, and in this book she gives us well-crafted poems in a variety of forms. The book is part history and part memoir: she’s making sense of the ways in which her life intersected with two events of enormous historical significance: the bombing of Pearl Harbor that caused the US to enter WWII, and the bombing of Hiroshima, which brought the war to an end.

Lowry’s presentation of these events focuses entirely on the tragedies of the lives
S.West
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I think the it was a great balance between honor both Americans and Japanese people who were lost during World War II. I think the "twist" about Allan Say was great.
Mary
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hauntingly beautiful and sparse.
Brenda Kahn
Haunting imagery, spare yet evocative poems, touching author's note. Most art not complete in arc. Important addition to most collections.
Eblison
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
On the Horizon is a beautiful jaw dropping collection of poems that recognize the lives lost and forever changed through the horror of war. With each paged turned, I found my life to be altered as well.
Shireen Hakim
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story. Important to remember the lives lost and impacted by war. It still affects us to this day.
The damage we're doing now to other countries will be remembered still in 50 years.

Lois Lowry provides a poetic memorial to the lives lost, many young, in Hawaii and Japan during WWII.

Ms. Yingling
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

More along the lines of her memoir Looking Back, written in verse. Since I can't get anyone to check out Looking Back (which I found fascinating), I think I will pass on purchasing.
Kate
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 6th & up
Shelves: poetry, history, war
Short poems with great impact. This brought me to tears as Lowry writes about young soldiers who lost their lives and those who survived but were haunted forever, children caught in the devastation of the bomb dropping in Hiroshima, and her personal memories of being a child on a beach, later in Tokyo and finally as an adult meeting a man who was one of those children affected by the Hiroshima bombing and now a children's author like herself. Beautiful, descriptive writing. The inclusion of a ...more
Heidi
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital-arc-read
This is a beautiful, yet hard read. A look at history through poems and snapshots of observations from the past. An interesting look at time and spaces just outside life lived in the moment.

Lois Lowry gives a tribute to those that lost their lives in the horrors of WWII, through the lens of her lifetime. Where she was, and others who should not be forgotten, shown in moments and their experiences of that time and place in the world.

I was lucky enough to access a digital ARC, and I look forward
Mari Bianco
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Katie Reilley
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful poetry for middle grade readers.

On the Horizon is part memoir, part researched- based tribute to those whose lives were forever changed by the tragedies of Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima. Lowry herself lived in both Hawaii and Japan as a child, and draws from her personal memories in the shared poems. Illustrated by Kenard Pak, this one should not be missed. Preorder now. Publishes April 2020.
Brook

• White Rose
  • Write! Write! Write!
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always