Start by marking “Neighbors” as Want to Read:
Neighbors

Neighbors

Neighbors is a contemplative picture book about the lives of our neighbors—who are all around us and ever-present, yet somehow surprisingly elusive.

They're everywhere: next door, above, and even below. More often than not, they are a mystery, a presence suggested by low hums, footfalls, or perhaps a slammed door.

This book explores the ways that we think about those we exi
Published September 22nd 2020 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Neighbors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neighbors

Start your review of Neighbors
Rachel
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very thoughtful, quiet picture book. A little girl processes what it means to live in an apartment and, by extension, a community. The art is mostly black and white, but colour is used strikingly, and I appreciative the contemplative prose because I think it can make for great conversation.

Thank you to Raincoast for giving me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Tina Hoggatt
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a remarkable picture book, rife with questions about selfhood, the universe and one's place in it. A limited illustration palette, black and white highlighted by spots of color, perfectly matches the spare text. So many details to discover in this book narrated by a child moving into a new apartment and imaging who her neighbors might be. The story opens up to her expanded view of the neighborhood and her new school. Just delightful. ...more
Linda
You can see it's a sunset with the rising moon, thus bedtime for one young girl, that one in red you see in that window on the cover. She shares her questions as she wanders. What's above and below? She discovers that her ceiling is someone else's floor, her floor is another one's ceiling. And she says it's okay. Page after page fill up with more detailed views of the building's interior, fascinating details by this author/illustrator Kasya Denisevich every time I turn the page. Also, each page ...more
Shireen Hakim
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: children
A lovely start to a conversation about the neighbors around us, that we usually ignore but can provide valuable relationships. Would have liked to see the story and illustrations expand.

Thank you for the ARC Chronicle Books.
Bookish
A little girl moves to a new apartment, with a room all to herself, but, as she settles in, she wonders about neighbors in the apartments around hers, and what they have in common and how they might differ. This picture book has minimal text, with a number of rhetorical questions. The inky black and white illustrations are spectacularly shaded, with vibrant pops of color as the story evolves. I especially appreciate the child’s sense of curiosity and wonder. She is aware of the constant presence ...more
Sandy Brehl
with stunningly egging art, a girl's first days and nights in her new apartment raises questions about who her neighbors might be, where she fits in, and how to feel at home in this new home.
With unlimited time, readers will pore over the details in the individual apartment, the overall building and community and surroundings.
it is a stunning book that addresses a seemingly simple concept with effectiveness and appeal.
Sara
Nov 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations were what drew me to this book and they remain my favorite part of this book. The story is simple - a constant question of the world around the main character. There were short sentences on each page which would make this easy to read, but I don't know if it'll capture everyone's attention. ...more
Bonnie Grover
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: student
Neighbors is about connection. Do we reach out and find out who our neighbors are ? Or do we choose to live in isolation? I liked the black and white sketches interspersed with red, which gave this story a classic feel.
Amy
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The illustrations were beautiful and the message about neighbors was nice but nothing about the book really reached out and grabbed me.
Megan
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations!
Chance Lee
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-it
Very pretty book about thinking of others in the world around us.
Rebecca Caufman
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed how the pictures added so much more to the story. They beg you to study and compare them to the previous page. It was fun to find so many surprises.
kelly

• The Boy and the Gorilla
  • I Talk Like a River
  • Nana Akua Goes to School

News & Interviews

Signed up for the 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge and looking for tips on how to discover and read more books? We’ve got your back. (And if...