Start by marking “The Black Swan of Paris” as Want to Read:
The Black Swan of Paris

The Black Swan of Paris

A world at war. A beautiful young star. A mission no one expected.

Paris, 1944

Celebrated singer Genevieve Dumont is both a star and a smokescreen. An unwilling darling of the Nazis, the chanteuse’s position of privilege allows her to go undetected as an ally to the resistance.

When her estranged mother, Lillian de Rocheford, is captured by Nazis, Genevieve knows it won’t
Published June 30th 2020 by MIRA

Start your review of The Black Swan of Paris
"Avonna
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

THE BLACK SWAN OF PARIS by Karen Robards is this bestselling author’s first historical fiction book and it pulls you in with a story of estranged family dynamics, loyalty, partisans, spies, intrigue and action. It is a story that features a young internationally acclaimed singer and her perilous life during WWII in Nazi occupied Europe.

Genevieve Dumont is a celebrated cabaret star with a voice and beauty that c
Adrienne
A fantastic historical fiction book. Set in Paris 1944. The Nazi's occupy Paris. The atmosphere of the city is fearful, no one trusts a fellow Parisian. Meanwhile the Resistence is tasked with trying to help the Allies with their D-day landing.
Seemingly immured from this is celebrated singer Genevieve Dumont. While the Nazi's love her; her unique position allows the Resistence workers to carry out their tasks around her.
Robards research for writing this novel must have been immense. Her crafting
Karren  Sandercock
Thanks to NetGalley, Hachette Australia and Karen Robards for my copy of The Black Swan of Paris.

Paris 1944, Genevieve Dumont is a beautiful cabaret singer and most of her audience is made up of German soldiers and one of her admirers is the nasty general Claus Von Wagner, she puts on quite a performance on and off the stage. Like most Parisians she hates the Germans, due to her fame, her chauffeur can drive her home at night without being stopped and her car being searched. While the civilian p
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Black Swan of Paris
Series: standalone
Author: Karen Robards
Release date: June 30, 2020
Cliffhanger: no
Genre: historical fiction

This is my tenth read by this author and it's my favorite BY FAR. It's been a long time since I read a Karen Robards book, but if this is an example of what I've been missing out on, my hiatus is over for the foreseeable future. Ever since reading The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, I haven't been able to find a good spy book that even comes close to competing to
Morgan
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is a tease. She drops tiny subtle hints as to what may have taken place in the past to find the characters in this place at this time.

Paris 1944 – ‘The Black Swan of Paris’ Genevieve Dumont is the toast of Paris thrilling audiences of Nazi Germans with her amazing voice. Unknown to Genevieve, her supposed Manager, Max, is working for the Resistance and is using her without her knowledge.

Genevieve has been estranged from her family for several years but when she learns that her mothe
Linda Byers
A reluctant 3. These types of romance novels are just not my cup of tea. This is not a bad book but it's not a good book either. By the end I was gnashing my teeth every time she described the hero as "lean". Arrrgh. ...more
Robin Loves Reading
I have read countless historical fiction books over the last couple of years, and I would say this book by Karen Robards is by far one of the best ones that I have ever read. We have two primary protagonists. One a spymaster and one a well regarded singer recruited to the resistance during WWII.

Genevieve Dumont is loved by the Nazis and has fairly free range to travel just about anywhere possible to perform. Max Bonet becomes her manager and the pair become far more involved than performing. Tr
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I have read many books by Karen Robards, but this historical fiction story was totally unexpected in a very good way. It is 1944 and the war is nearing its end. The Germans are worried about the Allied attack and where it will occur. Genevieve Dumont is a famous songstress who often performs for the German troops in Paris. She is known as the Black Swan, named after one of her costumes she performs in. What she doesn't know is that her manager, Max, her parents and sister are all working for the ...more
Jim
Thanks to a trusted source, I have just discovered author KAREN ROBARDS who has been a published author since 1981. I have read THE BLACK SWAN OF PARIS, a novel set in France (mostly Paris and Normandy) during the last year of World War II. My only regret is that I did find her books before now. There are several more that I want to read as time allows.

The story follows Genevieve Dumont, a star singer in Occupied Europe in cabarets and music halls, whose signature costume resembles a black swan.
MicheleReader
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting is Paris, 1944. Genevieve Dumont is a beautiful singer whose performances have made her the toast of Europe and a favorite of the Nazis. She is working undercover for the Resistance enabling Max, a British Agent, to act as her manager gaining him access to roam freely throughout Europe. As plans for the invasion of Normandy are being finalized, Genevieve and Max learn that Baroness Lillian de Rocheford has been imprisoned to be interrogated about the invasion and surely killed. This ...more
Diana
May 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Skimmed the last 100 or so pages. I get the urge to tell a glamorous story during a pivotal time in history. And I love a flawed heroine. But, as I've been mentioning as I update, this is a very whiny heroine. One who, in 1944 (5 years into the war), is still bitching about being tricked into being part of the resistance in France. No matter her history (which was, I think, supposed to make the reader sympathetic), I couldn't get past her whining about everything. And of course, as she bitches a ...more
Janet
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

A captivating story of estranged sisters reunited by a devastating war and
Zoe
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absorbing, intense, and pacey!

The Black Swan of Paris is a suspenseful, thrilling tale set in Paris during WWII that takes us into the life of Genevieve Dumont a beautiful, Parisian performer who uses her charisma, fame, and desirability to acquire crucial information from high-ranking Nazis that will not only aid Allied Forces and the Resistance but also provide her with the intelligence needed to rescue her recently captured mother from the hands of the ruthless enemy.

The prose is descriptive
Amy
I absolutely loved this book! Yet another 5 star in the first days of 2021! I thought it was great!

So as you know I often say, if you are a historical fiction WWII junkie like me, eventually, there are so many great novels out there, that they have to be fantastic or they just don't cut the mustard. I mean how many of these can I read, right? You'd think I'd be tired! But this one grabbed my attention. It had all the elements I loved. Paris, theater and diva star singer, resistance, spy, family,
Maureen Timerman
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book grabbed me, I could almost smell the fear and see the horrors that were being perpetrated on Europe and in this book France during this terrible time in history.
The author gives us a young woman struggling with her grief, and thrown into the limelight as a star the German Regime enjoys seeing. As her manager is a man with many personas, and at times I wondered if Max was really for or against Genevieve. Well, we sure are given a lot of action and found myself looking for answers here.
Shannon Dyer
Stunning! Review to come at AAR.
Tracy Greer- Hansen
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

LOVE and WAR

This book had the best of both worlds. A totally different spin on the WWII scene which is pretty rare as this subject has been written about endlessly. This was a unique book. It is probably one of the top WWII books that I have read.

Genevieve Dumont is a smoke screen and is coveted as The Black Swan. She travels all over Europe singing with much success, but little do the Nazis know that she is working for the Resistance.

This book is harrowing. The writing was graphic a
Harlequin Books
Categories
Espionage, War & Military Fiction, Historical Fiction
Marilyn
I listened to The Black Swan of Paris on an audiobook read by Nancy Peterson. This was the first book that I have read by this author but I will now look for her previous books and of course future ones. The Black Swan of Paris was both an exciting and powerful story. I was immediately swept into the fast paced action of this wonderful historical fiction book. Taking place during World War II, it focused more on the acts and work of the brave resistance fighters with a little romance thrown in. ...more
Renee
Loved it! This book was a romantic page-turner. It gave me the feel of a classic drama like Casablanca mixed with one of the lavish miniseries from the 80s. Great chemistry between Genevieve & Max. A nice balance of love/hate, misread cues & tenderness. Very enjoyable!
Caroline arrow_reads
The WWII historical fiction of the summer! ⁣

Genevieve Dumont is a star singer for the Nazis in Paris during the WWII. She uses her fame to the Germans to help her aid to the Resistance go unnoticed. When she hears her estranged mother has been taken by the Nazis, she knows she has to try to use her power to help save her and help the Allies. ⁣

This book pulled me in from page one and I fell in love with the characters and story! It is full of suspense, espionage, and unconditional love. ⁣
J'nell Ciesielski
Dazzling, tender, heartbreaking, romantic, and an utter whirlwind. Despite the typos that are often plagued in ARCs and the sometimes too modern phrasing, I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Absolutely adored Genevieve and Max together.
Nursebookie
The story setting is in Nazi occupied Paris in 1944 and central to this story is the beautiful singer and performer, well admired by German soldiers, Genevieve Dumont. Among the admirers, is the ruthless general Claus vonWagner, which Genevieve can use to garner information to help aid the Allied Forces as well as save the life of her captured mother, Lillian the Baroness de Rocheford.

The prose and writing style will make you feel the tension and suffering of the Parisians as well as the Jewish
Sarah Wagner
Spies abound in this tale of occupied Paris, featuring a singer who makes a public show of collaborating with the Nazis while feeding their secrets to British spies. Events become complicated as the D-Day invasion approaches and a resistance cell is captured - a cell which includes the mother of Guinevere Dumont and her sister, an SOE agent. Parts of this novel push the boundaries of plausible, but overall it makes for a good, enjoyable story and likely of interest to WWII historical fiction fan ...more
Becki
What a great cover for spies! Genevieve Dumont is the Black Swan, a talented and beautiful singer with perfect cover to travel all over Europe during the war with few questions asked. Whle she didn't originally volunteer to work for the Resistance (as she laments in her head over and over - she was TRICKED), it's better than being a genuine collaborator.

Her manager, Max, is actually a British soldier in disguise. He tells her as little as possible about their illicit activities to keep her safe.
Thea | (unapologetic_bibliosmia)
Genevive Dumont, better known across Paris as her stage name ‘The Black Swan’ is a show-biz star, touring her way through Paris delighting the German Officers who make up the numbers at her shows in 1944 occupied Paris.

Little do the officers know, that the dazzling Black Swan singing before them is not all she appears to be. Genevra de Rocheford, is secretly working as part of the French Resistance, with a small entourage of unlikely agents.

The story follows her fight to rescue her captured mo
Bonnye Reed
I received a free electronic ARC of this novel from Netgalley, Karen Robards, and Harlequin - MIRA. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this novel of my own volition, and this review reflects my honest opinion of this work. I highly recommend this historical jewel to those who enjoy a rich, historical novel, stories set in France in World War II, or romance novels. Karen Robards doesn't ever disappoint.

The Black Swan of Paris is a remarkable tale with fully formed char
Alaina
The Black Swan of Paris was beyond amazing. In it, you will meet Genevieve who is a young singer living in Paris. Now that's not the only thing happening in Paris, nope - we have Nazi's. Genevieve was a fun and strong character to fall in love with. She is working with the resistance and has a pretty big role to play.

Each page, twist, and chapter just sucked me in. I'm not even mad or surprised by how quickly I devoured this book. It was just that freaking good and I wanted to know how everythin
Debra
For my taste, too shallow and over-sentimentalized. Obviously this book was not for me, even though others enjoyed it.
Thea | (unapologetic_bibliosmia)

The story follows her fight to rescue her captured mo
Play Book Tag: The Black Swan of Paris, 5 stars, by Karen Robards 3 16 Jan 14, 2021 11:47AM

• Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Hotel du Barry
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Not Quite Over You (Happily Inc, #4)
  • Flight Risk
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Grown Ups
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
  • The Perfect Dress
  • The Woman on the Orient Express
  • Whisper of the Moon Moth
  • Boleyn Curse (The Boleyn Bloodline, #1)
  • The Wild Woman's Guide to Traveling the World
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
Karen Robards is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of more than fifty books and one novella. She has won multiple awards including six Affaire de Coeur Silver Pen Awards for favorite author.
Karen has been writing since she was very young, and was first published nationally in the December 1973 Reader's Digest. She sold her first romance novel, ISLAND FLAME, wh